ADVERTISEMENT

More Reeves Updates- this A.M.

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018
Posted it in another thread but that thing is 6 pages long....

Sisk just said on Leach Report that he heard from two sources late last night "who are as good as it gets" that Reeves is expected back. Statement expected today. Said one guy has NEVER led him wrong. One has close access to program and other in D1 coaching circles.

Paraphrasing of course...but that is what I heard.

I mean, it's June lol. I'm sure there's other teams that want him, but their rosters are set as well. Adding Reeves in June is going to likely annoy SOMEONE else on your team.

Reeves shopped around, didn't get what he wanted. I'll be glad to have him back but I hope this was an enlightening experience for him, knowing UK/Cal did right by him all along.

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

I mean, it's June lol. I'm sure there's other teams that want him, but their rosters are set as well. Adding Reeves in June is going to likely annoy SOMEONE else on your team.

Reeves shopped around, didn't get what he wanted. I'll be glad to have him back but I hope this was an enlightening experience for him, knowing UK/Cal did right by him all along.
But even if it’s “enlightening”, what’s it matter?

He’s here for 7 more months, then gone. This is a cold world, cold industry.

He shoulda been laser focused on UK and next season the moment KSU beat us. Instead, he wasted 90 days screwing around and creating ill-will with the fan-base, staff, and likely some of this teammates.

It is what it is. Antonio Reeves is back. Everyone rejoice. He’s a nice player and will certainly contribute, but I don’t believe he’s the SEC difference maker that so many here want him to be.

Sisk just said on Leach Report that he heard from two sources late last night "who are as good as it gets" that Reeves is expected back. Statement expected today. Said one guy has NEVER led him wrong. One has close access to program and other in D1 coaching circles.

That would be the best news of this off-season IMO.

It's a testament to the state of the program, when a player like Reeves garners such attention.
He isn’t the type of player that should have been a ? this late but he is a very good college player. A great shooter(one of our only ones), the only experience we have, and will make a big difference for our current roster.

I assume he was going to get what he wants somewhere else. He had a lot of big time suitors and we had to compete.

I know the story on Ugonna was he was looking for guaranteed NIL and couldn't find it. But he was a raw, unrpoven big man. Reeves is a proven scorer in one of the toughest conferences in the country. There aren't many guys that have a 37 point game under their belt.

The rest of this is 100% projecting/my attempt at reading the tea leaves.

Watching this all unfold over the last 10 days, I think Cal finally felt desparate and just asked the kid, "what's it going to take." I assume Reeves told him what else is out there and how it works EVERYWHERE ELSE.

I believe Cal then told him to give him a few days to talk to the people that have the money. Then Cal called him and told him he's seen the light. "We're getting this--not really a collective, but something that looks and sounds just like a collective, and will function just like a collective."

He shoulda been laser focused on UK and next season the moment KSU beat us. Instead, he wasted 90 days screwing around and creating ill-will with the fan-base, staff, and likely some of this teammates.

It is what it is. Antonio Reeves is back. Everyone rejoice. He’s a nice player and will certainly contribute, but I don’t believe he’s the SEC difference maker that so many here want him to be.
Over half of our roster will be gone after 7 months so I don’t understand that point at all. We have 6 freshmen and 2 sophomores who saw limited action averaging 4.3 points/game between them. Returning a player who scored 37 at Arkansas and adding some experience and adding 3 point shooting is not a bad thing. Not sure why you act like it is.

I assume he was going to get what he wants somewhere else. He had a lot of big time suitors and we had to compete.

I know the story on Ugonna was he was looking for guaranteed NIL and couldn't find it. But he was a raw, unrpoven big man. Reeves is a proven scorer in one of the toughest conferences in the country. There aren't many guys that have a 37 point game under their belt.

Watching this all unfold over the last 10 days, I think Cal finally felt desparate and just asked the kid, "what's it going to take." I assume Reeves told him what else is out there and how it works EVERYWHERE ELSE.

I believe Cal then told him to give him a few days to talk to the people that have the money. Then Cal called him and told him he's seen the light. "We're getting this--not really a collective, but something that looks and sounds just like a collective, and will function just like a collective."
We can only hope Cal said that.

Oh I agree. And I don't think he's going to win us a title. But I do think he's a great 3rd option or 2nd unit type guy. We will need his experience and shooting ability to help the young guys and space the floor.

I just hope he's happy with how this unfolded. That remains to be seen. I still think we need to go get another wing.

Nope. Cal opened the NIL checkbook. Was talked about on HOB. The kid shopped around because he could. He deserves it.

Get him back, you at least got a shot to score a lot of buckets. Defense will probably be as bad as last year but if you get wagner/dilly/reeves cooking, that team can unload on teams.

That’s the scuttlebutt!

Never heard about any big time suitors

It's a testament to the state of the program, when a player like Reeves garners such attention.
Yea he was just our 2nd leading scorer, best shooter from 3pt & FT line, and reigning conference 6th man of the year.

Why would we desperately need that veteran presence when you have a roster consisting of 6 freshmen and 2 sophomores?

Thank you!

Reactions: HagginHall1999
But...Reeves was a really good player for us.

Some of you label him "Illinois State" no matter what. But he performed at a Kentucky level. He's a Kentucky player. He scored 37 on the road vs Arkansas.

He has his flaws. But this notion that "he's really just an Illinois State guy" is ridiculous.

But...Reeves was a really good player for us.

Some of you label him "Illinois State" no matter what. But he performed at a Kentucky level. He's a Kentucky player. He scored 37 on the road vs Arkansas.

He has his flaws. But this notion that "he's really just an Illinois State guy" is ridiculous.
I didn't mean it that way, I should have said the roster shouldn't be in this shape to be so reliant on Reeves. Poor wording on my part.

Reactions: Cats192
I love the guys that try to downplay what type of player he is just because he played at Illinois State.

Meanwhile, just about every D1 college reached out to him.
No they didn’t. He’s a role player. Number 1 problem was defense and he was one of the worst defenders.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I just hope the team chemistry is fine . I have my concerns based off all of this .
If we didn’t have just 7 players with a month before games and have to take flyers on upside & developmental high school kids I would agree, but I hope it’s not another wheeler situation where he doesn’t really want to be here and that causes problems. Either way I will be glad if/when it becomes official, proven scorers are a good thing to get back

Last edited:
The one thing I will say is Sisk wasn't guaranteeing anything. I should have stated that in my OP. Just that what he was told was extremely positive and from highly credible sources who he'd worked with in past.

FWIW he wasn't even scheduled for the show today. He joined with that breaking info.

So we can get excited about a ISU transfer who was unranked out of HS but we can’t get excited for a 3/4 star freshmen who was the leading scorer on OTE……. Lol 😂
He’s a proven commodity, dude dropped 37 on the road in a hostile environment. He also later an egg in the tourney but you know when he’s hot, he’s kerosene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT