ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch addresses Cal situation

1. Cal didn’t take any questions on his Monday call in
2. Admitted to starting Wagner and Edwards to not steal their heart baloney
3. Now players will hold our offseason hostage in leu of portal improvements
4, Cal will be at NBA draft being an embarrassment
5. Some stupid assistant coaching shuffle will occur (having 6 assistants is stupid kn bbal)

What a middle finger not just by Cal…but Mitch is almost as crapping on fans as Cal is. Keeping this guy after what he’s been doing and no accountability is his give a crap as much as Cal now
Another person crying about the NBA draft. LOL at your hurt feelings about the NBA draft. Y’all should start a support group where you can talk about how the NBA draft hurt you.

Reactions: CatTough
Nothing new they are joined at the hip same old season next yr we will be watching other teams play in march madness.

I think Cal laid out his plan not to lose to a lower seed next year. “ What if we lose enough regular season games to BE the lower seeded team? That way we won’t have to worry about losing to a lower seed. Or maybe. We could miss the tournament completely. Either way, it keeps us protected against the upset”.
This. 12 seeds play 5. So there is the one tournament game with no guaranteed upset.

Warned people yesterday Mitch had zero leverage.

A change would've cost a fortune and I don't believe the money was as free as Jones said. With two buyouts it would've been nearly 50 mil before salary. Mitch painted himself in this corner with this contract.

Warned people yesterday Mitch had zero leverage.

A change would've cost a fortune and I don't believe the money was as free as Jones said. With two buyouts it would've been nearly 50 mil before salary. Mitch painted himself in this corner with this contract.
Two buyouts? Besides Cal -33M where is the other buyout and 50M coming from?

Two buyouts? Besides Cal -33M where is the other buyout and 50M coming from?

Whomever we would've hired. All our potential targets had pretty massive buyouts. Pearl I think was cheapest and iirc was 8 mil.

Was way too much money. I know Jones has info but I just can't imagine there was that much readiness amongst donors to get rid of cal. Maybe they didn't like him but that's a ton of dough.

Then you have the optics. In this current climate, those optics would be awful. Mitch is definitely sensitive to that as we can see in his moves of recent years.

Financially it just had very little chance to happen. All because of the God awful contract.

I'm normally pretty reserved, but that tweet is an embarrassment. It doesn't imply any change nor does it even convey an ounce of hope for the program. When the results come in underwhelming, I expect the fan base and boosters to not only pressure UK for a change at head coach but at AD as well.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I saw this mentioned yesterday. If you aren't going to buy out Cal for 33 million after the last 4 years, why buy out Cal for 27 million if things continue to go sideways next year? Cal is here to stay more than likely, and Kentucky basketball is headed toward mediocrity with Cal and Mitch driving the boat.

I see the CBs (calipari buttlickers) are alive and well in the thread. Mitch is the president of thst fan club and William Buttlicker is his VP.

Bringing Cal back is for the best. We'll have a new Coach, and AD after next season. A new football coach likely the year after that. One more year of Cal misery to save UK Athletics!

1. Cal didn’t take any questions on his Monday call in
2. Admitted to starting Wagner and Edwards to not steal their heart baloney
3. Now players will hold our offseason hostage in leu of portal improvements
4, Cal will be at NBA draft being an embarrassment
5. Some stupid assistant coaching shuffle will occur (having 6 assistants is stupid kn bbal)

What a middle finger not just by Cal…but Mitch is almost as crapping on fans as Cal is. Keeping this guy after what he’s been doing and no accountability is his give a crap as much as Cal now
Excellent post . It's so brazen that Cal tell's everyone to F off . I'm not changing , I don't answer to anyone . Huge Huge middle finger to BBN from Mitch . Well news to you guys. I dont have to take it . I can vote with my support , and May be only 1 person , but I'm out .No money , no support . Sad times
I think everyone should send a nice long email to Eli Capilouto and let him know how they feel. pres@uky.edu
I sent mine .
Mitch needs to be concerned about his own livelihood at some point here. The UK fanbase and the athletics donors and supporters are NOT pleased with the current situation. Guess who doesn't have a $33 million buyout? Mitch Barnhardt doesn't. Guess who is next on the chopping block??? Yep, you guessed it. This situation has reached critical mass, in my view. I wouldn't be surprised to see significant financial blowback at this point from BBN. I think they're not gonna spend money and buy tickets and merchandise. Rupp may be half empty for most home games. I'm a patient guy, a huge supporter of UK all my life, but I've hit my limit. I'd say most UK fans have. I'll just say, we better get most of this team back. We better have a #1 recruiting class. We better have the best defense in the nation. We better have the best and most entertaining team in the nation. We better win every game. The natives are restless. Patience is gone, completely and irrevocably gone. It's a powder keg right now- one spark and it's flaming. One false move, one snide comment, one loss, and boom! Cal thinks he's heard it all and maybe Mitch thinks he's immune, but I think it's gonna get UGLY.
You are very correct . Great post .
He won’t. Because as evidenced by that ridiculous Facebook group with tens of thousands of members… Calipari (and Mitch) still have quite a bit of support. Calipari has almost a cult like following because he’s “cool” for having so many NBA players and because of his progressive political beliefs.

The President, Mitch, Cal… so many these days do not have the same idea or “love” for UK Basketball that many of us do. It’s all about money. Status.

I have thought this for a couple years but I truly think the type of relationship we’ve all had with Kentucky basketball is over and never coming back. Sign of the times.

Again this is more a macro level observation on society as a whole but still.

The sooner many of us realize that the better.

Mitch nor Cal care about the history. Or the 90’s run. Or any run in decades past.

Post more often Frank :) As far as the FB groups . It's amazing , 1000s are literally celebrating . Mostly old goobers that are not exactly forward thinkers . But people who still support this loser asshole for our coach . It's sad that the masses are soooo stupid , just like society these days . I. got pizza rolls to eat and a roof over my head , an iPhone in my hand .. Life is GREAT .. Very Sad indeed .

Whomever we would've hired. All our potential targets had pretty massive buyouts. Pearl I think was cheapest and iirc was 8 mil.

Was way too much money. I know Jones has info but I just can't imagine there was that much readiness amongst donors to get rid of cal. Maybe they didn't like him but that's a ton of dough.

Then you have the optics. In this current climate, those optics would be awful. Mitch is definitely sensitive to that as we can see in his moves of recent years.

Financially it just had very little chance to happen. All because of the God awful contract.
I think you have some good points.

Its not about getting rid of Cal at this point, its about the cost of bringing in Cal's replacement and it appears that most of them with the exception of Donovan, Stevens and Wright come with a heft up front cost.

A forward thinking AD however would address this for the following year by either locking someone down or preparing financial levers to support the move.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The better move is flooding with actual letters. You can back up the mailroom with volume and it is much harder to ignore physical media en masse.
You're probably right ... imagine the mail truck backing up to off-load pallets of pissed-off hardcopy. A bit harder to ignore.

I have been a Mitch supporter for years, but with this decision, it is time for his head to be on the chopping block. If, and we all know it is coming, UK baseketball looses a few games they should have won, Mitch needs to retire so his replacement can be in place to fire Cal at the end of the one and done tournament season and hire our next basketball coach.

I think you have some good points.

Its not about getting rid of Cal at this point, its about the cost of bringing in Cal's replacement and it appears that most of them with the exception of Donovan, Stevens and Wright come with a heft up front cost.

A forward thinking AD however would address this for the following year by either locking someone down or preparing financial levers to support the move.

They would. But if we had a forward thinking ad we wouldn't have an albatross of a contract that we can't get out of.

I have been a Mitch supporter for years, but with this decision, it is time for his head to be on the chopping block. If, and we all know it is coming, UK baseketball looses a few games they should have won, Mitch needs to retire so his replacement can be in place to fire Cal at the end of the one and done tournament season and hire our next basketball coach.
in a normal world situation, the AD would understand that he just tied his job to that twitter statement

even if that statement had zero enthusiasm on his part. Its was the least inspiring statement you could make, and it was 100% intentional

no one expected boosters lining up to demand change that UK could not afford based on contracts written under his watch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT