ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri gets $12 million to buy players….

It’s PFP (pay for play) not NIL. There are snapshots of true NIL in college sports, but major college football has mainly become PFP. The cat ain’t getting back in the box. College football is professional football for many of the players. Some just make a few thousand dollars. Others, evidently, make high 6 to 7 figures. And, everything in between.

NIL isn’t going anywhere

It’s not amateur athletics when coaches make $9 million a year and team revenue is over $200 million

The players are the ones driving that massive revenue
You mean head coaches use to not get paid? People used to not buy tickets to games? Oh how far we’ve fallen!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Why would someone donate that much money and want to keep it anonymous? It wouldn't surprise me if schools started spending their own money on players and claim it was from anonymous donors.

I'm sure it's already happening

Whomever handled the particulars of this donation majorly dropped the ball. The recent title 9 suit filed alleged school discrimination based on gender since nil was disproportionately going to males.

To get any traction, they had to argue (and must ultimately prove) the defendant school had dominion or control over who got the money.

We know it isn't supposed to be that way. We also know the school through it's coaches do direct payments. The difference is most everyone is careful enough to not leave such a trail. That donation was a lump sum donation split to the school and an nil fund. That should cause major issues if there is suit filed.

Also it's probably anonymous because it's surely a booster, which supposedly isn't allowed. But we all know there really aren't any rules so.

When the game was played on a field and coaches were paid maybe as much as teachers...sure, one can argue it is still "amateur" and/or "collegiate."

It's not anymore.

You can't sell out 50,60, all the way to a 100 thousand seat stadiums and claim "after school activity" anymore.

You can't sell hot dogs, water, beer for what they're selling them for and try to act like there isn't some money being made.

You can't get a 50+ million-dollar revenue sharing check from the conference and then say, "we don't want to share revenue."

You can't take millions more from alumni, donors/boosters who are giving specifically to improve and be more competitive in sports and try to argue that at least a small percentage shouldn't go to players.

You can't sell season tickets and parking passes for what they go for and act like everyone is buying them because they just have money to burn, want to see Mark Stoops...they're there for the team, the players...

Everyone else working in the stadium is getting paid. There are electricians, mechanics for all sorts of things...they aren't cheap. That's $30 an hour labor at least...maybe more because it's a weekend and anyone who's ever had a plumber, electrician, handyman, etc come out on a weekend knows it isn't cheap. A lot of them are at the stadium way before kickoff, and staff way after it's over. 10 hr day at $30/hr, most likely more in some cases depending on what the market is for said skilled labor jobs in the area.

Reactions: Orange_N_White
I am not sure it helps us or hurts us, we are a poor state and mostly focus on basketball so I think in the end it hurts us. Personally I am not interested in watching a sport with no salary cap and the richest team just gets to buy players over and over.
At least it is out in the open now, most of these teams were already doing it and getting away with it, add in the portal and that gives us a punchers chance.
But unless things change I think we will just see every money chunking program in the playoffs yearly with few exceptions.
I would rather play golf, at least I had a hand in the misery for that day.

It’s PFP (pay for play) not NIL. There are snapshots of true NIL in college sports, but major college football has mainly become PFP. The cat ain’t getting back in the box. College football is professional football for many of the players. Some just make a few thousand dollars. Others, evidently, make high 6 to 7 figures. And, everything in between.

Unfortunately I believe you are 100% correct

ANd who do the fans show up to watch? Players drive the revenue, period.
Without the fans paying the tab where are they going to play, their backyard? No fans = no tv = no money = no players.

This will come to a head in less than three years. Either the government gets involved to "save armature athletics", or the players unionize and a cap is put into place just like the NFL.

I am not sure it helps us or hurts us, we are a poor state and mostly focus on basketball so I think in the end it hurts us. Personally I am not interested in watching a sport with no salary cap and the richest team just gets to buy players over and over.
At least it is out in the open now, most of these teams were already doing it and getting away with it, add in the portal and that gives us a punchers chance.
But unless things change I think we will just see every money chunking program in the playoffs yearly with few exceptions.
I agree with almost everything you said but I’m not sure the portal provides a punchers chance. If the transfer is really skilled and developed nicely, they will command big bucks as well. Again the rich schools will prosper

Reactions: Tskware
Without the fans paying the tab where are they going to play, their backyard? No fans = no tv = no money = no players.

This will come to a head in less than three years. Either the government gets involved to "save armature athletics", or the players unionize and a cap is put into place just like the NFL.

You do realize the government getting involved is what has us in this spot. Don't want get political but what exactly has our government done in the last 199 years that leads you to believe they can take charge.

Same teams that have always won n football win n NIL era. What's the difference from prior years and decades?

I agree with almost everything you said but I’m not sure the portal provides a punchers chance. If the transfer is really skilled and developed nicely, they will command big bucks as well. Again the rich schools will prosper
We have lost exactly one impact transfer since the advent of the portal, Justin Rogers, and he was hardly indispensable, and he had marginal impact at Auburn. We have also lost a few, but not too many, good players, who weren't getting regular playing time, that left and played well elsewhere- Christian Lewis for one. But Lewis is an example of rich getting richer, he went to Troy.

Against that, we've gained Wandale, Levis, Rosenthal, Davis, Jacques, Keidron, Leary, M. Cox, etc, etc. I don't even like the portal, bur it has been very kind to us. Based on our '19 to '21 recruiting classes, we'd probably be at 12 wins at best over the last three years combined but for transfers.

Whomever handled the particulars of this donation majorly dropped the ball. The recent title 9 suit filed alleged school discrimination based on gender since nil was disproportionately going to males.

To get any traction, they had to argue (and must ultimately prove) the defendant school had dominion or control over who got the money.

We know it isn't supposed to be that way. We also know the school through it's coaches do direct payments. The difference is most everyone is careful enough to not leave such a trail. That donation was a lump sum donation split to the school and an nil fund. That should cause major issues if there is suit filed.

Also it's probably anonymous because it's surely a booster, which supposedly isn't allowed. But we all know there really aren't any rules so.
Makes one wonder about how they will get their tax write-off if they hope to maintain the anonymity.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
We have lost exactly one impact transfer since the advent of the portal, Justin Rogers, and he was hardly indispensable, and he had marginal impact at Auburn. We have also lost a few, but not too many, good players, who weren't getting regular playing time, that left and played well elsewhere- Christian Lewis for one. But Lewis is an example of rich getting richer, he went to Troy.

Against that, we've gained Wandale, Levis, Rosenthal, Davis, Jacques, Keidron, Leary, M. Cox, etc, etc. I don't even like the portal, bur it has been very kind to us. Based on our '19 to '21 recruiting classes, we'd probably be at 12 wins at best over the last three years combined but for transfers.
I agree that UK has actually be fitted from the portal thus far. However, as NIL goes further it will probably require more and more dollars that we can’t raise.

Makes one wonder about how they will get their tax write-off if they hope to maintain the anonymity.
I read once that donations to NIL collectives were not tax deductible. Obviously donations to schools for facilities, etc. are. I’m no tax lawyer so am not positive.

Pretty sure it's anonymous in the sense there is no pr or announcement. They still know who it is and there is sufficient paper trail for a tax deduction

NIL donations are not tax deductible even though they are 501c3's. The IRS released a memo and indicated anyone claiming tax deductions would be punished and same goes for the collectives when they get audited.

ANd who do the fans show up to watch? Players drive the revenue, period.

Nope. I show up to watch Kentucky. I don't go to Georgia to watch them play Alabama because that's the most talent on a football field, nor because they had the biggest named in their recruiting classes. Few people do that and they're mostly in the press or entertainment industry.

I go to watch THE Kentucky Wildcats. I don't start or stop because a kid comes or goes. The vast majority of fans are there because of the school, not the names on the back of the jerseys and to say otherwise is being willingly ignorant.

Just like people didn't stop going to see Star Wars or Marvel movies because an actor wasn't in the movies, people don't stop going to college football games because a player leaves the program.

I agree that UK has actually be fitted from the portal thus far. However, as NIL goes further it will probably require more and more dollars that we can’t raise.

I think it may cost more for the top players, but it may also drop for those lower down the list once any marketing stats come through. All of the initial valuations of HS players were pulled out of thin air or somebody's keester. I saw a valuation for a kid with zero P5 offers come out at over 40k per yr the first year NIL valuations came out. Im not seeing those numbers now (but I'm also not as actively looking or interested, tbf).

Nope. I show up to watch Kentucky. I don't go to Georgia to watch them play Alabama because that's the most talent on a football field, nor because they had the biggest named in their recruiting classes. Few people do that and they're mostly in the press or entertainment industry.

I go to watch THE Kentucky Wildcats. I don't start or stop because a kid comes or goes. The vast majority of fans are there because of the school, not the names on the back of the jerseys and to say otherwise is being willingly ignorant.

Just like people didn't stop going to see Star Wars or Marvel movies because an actor wasn't in the movies, people don't stop going to college football games because a player leaves the program.

I think I understand you. I feel the same if that's the case. When all is settled down and there are 40-60 of the super teams and my team isn't one of those, I will still be a fan. Just because it isn't in the top bracket isn't changing that. I seldom watch a NFL game. Fans of North Dakota State aren't less fanatical because they are not in the top bracket.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I just don't get the uneasiness or fear of paying players.

People have been donating big chunks of money to colleges forever. Missouri was always going to get that chunk of money. It had probably been in the works for a while.

Now instead of all 60 million going to the University and/or Athletic department, 12 million will go to pay players and 48 million goes to whatever else...or however the deal was set up.

What's so wrong with that? Regardless 60 million was going to get spent.

I think people have a problem with the constant portal turnover, and lack of stability right now. Which is valid, but I think that eventually works itself out with collective bargaining, employment contracts, and non-compete clauses.

Eventually we will get to an organized framework. Programs and collectives will want assurances for paying players. I think price is going to come down, we're in the gold rush/speculative/late 90's .com boom right now.

People are just throwing silly money around. That will taper off. A couple hundred thousand dollar, and million-dollar busts will tighten belts and bring the market back to its senses.

Why would someone donate that much money and want to keep it anonymous? It wouldn't surprise me if schools started spending their own money on players and claim it was from anonymous donors.
Lot's of schools donate money to collectives. So they can skirt the rules and pay players. College sports are a joke.

In a money race, UK will lose.

I don't know that richest alumni base = best players and titles. It hasn't in the previous eras when alumni could give for facilities, support resources, and staff salaries...and let's be honest under the table...pay for play has been going on forever.

Michigan has one of the richest alumni bases in the country including private schools. They have 2 football titles in 50 years and haven't done much in basketball.

Northwestern, up there as well. They have hedge fund wealth like you wouldn't believe, and actually spent it on one of the nicest facilities you'll see, right on Lake Michigan. Beautiful with a view and beach access. Where's all their elite talent and hardware?

Cal Berkely, Stanford, UVA, etc...the list goes on. The wealthiest largely have not dominated in sports.

Notre Dame, Miami, and USC have moments but considering their vast wealth, they should have more. Mostly football, not a lot of action in basketball.

Arkansas would/should have bigger better everything and more wins/hardware with all the Wal Mart heirs they have...and Jerry Jones.

Look at the states/schools who have a lot of the hardware and tradition. Kansas, North Carolina (Heels and Duke), Kentucky (cats and cards) ...tobacco road programs own basketball. Not really rich states or alumni bases compared to others.

Then in football you have Ohio St, Bama, UGA, Florida, Oklahoma, Clemson more recently, LSU.

Agreed, but it’s new and its impact probably is not yet known.

Your tax info is private, or should be. Your anonymous donations are not anonymous to the non-profit. You and I can make anonymous donations to non profits, but still have the documentation for tax purposes.

Some like their privacy.
And once your name is out there you get hit up for everything coming and going even more for every cause or investment. What’s the saying? ‘There is always a good reason to spend money when it isnt your own’

I don't know that richest alumni base = best players and titles. It hasn't in the previous eras when alumni could give for facilities, support resources, and staff salaries...and let's be honest under the table...pay for play has been going on forever.

Michigan has one of the richest alumni bases in the country including private schools. They have 2 football titles in 50 years and haven't done much in basketball.

Northwestern, up there as well. They have hedge fund wealth like you wouldn't believe, and actually spent it on one of the nicest facilities you'll see, right on Lake Michigan. Beautiful with a view and beach access. Where's all their elite talent and hardware?

Cal Berkely, Stanford, UVA, etc...the list goes on. The wealthiest largely have not dominated in sports.

Notre Dame, Miami, and USC have moments but considering their vast wealth, they should have more. Mostly football, not a lot of action in basketball.

Arkansas would/should have bigger better everything and more wins/hardware with all the Wal Mart heirs they have...and Jerry Jones.

Look at the states/schools who have a lot of the hardware and tradition. Kansas, North Carolina (Heels and Duke), Kentucky (cats and cards) ...tobacco road programs own basketball. Not really rich states or alumni bases compared to others.

Then in football you have Ohio St, Bama, UGA, Florida, Oklahoma, Clemson more recently, LSU.
That may in fact refute your argument. I think you are correct that players were often paid under the table. I lived next door to a sugar daddy for a well known university in the 1980’s. However, what they received was peanuts compared to today. it involved a free dinner, an occasional fifty or hundred and the like. I don’t think that the amounts would affect where a kid would choose to go. The coaches and programs determined these decisions. I now see guaranteed income deciding and thus, the rich will win most of the championships

You do realize the government getting involved is what has us in this spot. Don't want get political but what exactly has our government done in the last 199 years that leads you to believe they can take charge.
I didn't say that I wanted them involved. Just that they would be. They started the whole mess so they will have to be the ones to amend the laws.

If the government shows up and says, "We are here to help," run.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT