ADVERTISEMENT

matt jones said he was disappointed no WIFI in commonwealth

Who cares??? Thete to watch football not facebook or stream the whole game....it can wait
Amazing that some people cain't make it for 3 hours without playing with their phone. At the gym I work out at many work their phones harder than they work the weights. They even play with them in the sauna. Pitiful.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Amazing that some people cain't make it for 3 hours without playing with their phone. At the gym I work out at many work their phones harder than they work the weights. They even play with them in the sauna. Pitiful.
Wow, judge, jury and opinionated.

-listening to broadcast of game is great...you can use your ears and eyes at the same time. Little fm radios are cheap *and* no wifi is required...plus no one will be tempted to take a selfie and upload it to twittergram so their internet besties will know they went to the football game in "real time". OMG!

-yep...I just gotta know why such and such didnt play in the last series...and if I miss a big play whilst I am checking my twitter feed no biggie...someone will just post a replay and I can watch it on my phone.

-bottom line : nobody needs that much real time info...its superfluous.

"When I went to school we had to walk, uphill, both ways"!!!
"When I played football, we didn't even wear helmets"!!!
"Real fans don't need anything but the atmosphere of the game or their a woosy"!!!

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: rudd1
I don't think wifi is vital.

Having cellular service, though, is important. I don't live on my phone at games but being able to check other scores/text with friends/etc during timeouts is fan friendly.

That's the answer? dust off the old Walkman. my father is 74 and refused to get a cell phone, finally did. Then stuck with a basis dumb phone for years and finally had trouble with service. For fathers day I gave him an iPhone. He absolutely loves it and can stop talking about all the things it does. You guys remind me of him.

I didn't realize that long passage was a link. Good find on this subject. But I was looking at this subject from a slightly different perspective.

In light of declining student attendance around the country, the linked article addresses a survey of what factors "influence" a student's decision to attend a game. And not surprisingly, "interest in the sport" was the overwhelming factor. Hell, I think interest in the sport (and/or team) is the #1 reason why anyone goes to a game. And if surveying your entire fan base it seems like a no brainer that, as the MSU AD said. "parking, restrooms and concessions" are the most important things to fans coming to the game.

Now I totally understand that WiFi connectivity is way down the list as a factor to make a decision to come to the game. And, without any question, the CWS restrooms seriously needed an upgrade and the concessions were about as bad as any place I visited. So those thing are undoubtably #1 and #1A in most fan's mind.

But, if renovating the stadium to provide a more "fan friendly" venue it strikes me that connectivity is a very nice creature comfort given today's almost compulsive use of smart phone technology. JMO.

Peace

Thats another thing...stadium wont be ready for opener??? How long does it freaking take??? Still got 38 days til the game..these crews should be putting in 16 hour days to get this done....unacceptable

I didn't realize that long passage was a link. Good find on this subject. But I was looking at this subject from a slightly different perspective.

In light of declining student attendance around the country, the linked article addresses a survey of what factors "influence" a student's decision to attend a game. And not surprisingly, "interest in the sport" was the overwhelming factor. Hell, I think interest in the sport (and/or team) is the #1 reason why anyone goes to a game. And if surveying your entire fan base it seems like a no brainer that, as the MSU AD said. "parking, restrooms and concessions" are the most important things to fans coming to the game.

Now I totally understand that WiFi connectivity is way down the list as a factor to make a decision to come to the game. And, without any question, the CWS restrooms seriously needed an upgrade and the concessions were about as bad as any place I visited. So those thing are undoubtably #1 and #1A in most fan's mind.

But, if renovating the stadium to provide a more "fan friendly" venue it strikes me that connectivity is a very nice creature comfort given today's almost compulsive use of smart phone technology. JMO.

Peace

Totally agree. Since we are renovating why not do this. I concede that wifi isn't essential but neither are chair backs or painting the seats blue. The seats look good blue in the shots we've seen of the renovations but during the game there will be people in them hopefully. Painting them blue isn't needed either but it is a nice touch. Wifi and cellular connectivity is becoming a part of life.

-I am not anti-tech. I am posting from a phone. I use it for everything...I buy groceries with it. That said, I am not tethered to it...everything has its place. If you cant go a few hours without being fully "connected"...I am sad for you.

I have not read all the replies so someone may have already pointed out that one does not need WiFi to text or make/receive cell phone calls. Texts and voice calls use the mobile cellular networks like 4g and LTE. True, WiFi would lessen the strain on our Data plans!

ala_kat, that would also mean less people using the networks which would make phone calls and texts work better.

I have not read all the replies so someone may have already pointed out that one does not need WiFi to text or make/receive cell phone calls. Texts and voice calls use the mobile cellular networks like 4g and LTE. True, WiFi would lessen the strain on our Data plans!

iMessage (texting from one iPhone to another iPhone) are sent through your data plan.They are not sent as a SMS. So "wifi only" would allow most people to stay in contact via text messages.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but when you're competing with an at-home UK football fan experience that is just plain better than the in-stadium experience in a lot of ways (FREE, beer, better/cheap food, bourbon, ability to watching 5-6 games on HD at once while having a dynamic second-screen experience on Twitter, this message board, etc.) it certainly plays a factor.

And I'm a season ticket holder.

Reactions: catben
Wifi will be in the stadium in 2016. It will be in the press box and premium seating this year. Verizon and AT&T are upgrading their service at the stadium. I think you will all live.

Not surprised by the number of people in this thread hijacking this discussion into some ridiculous rant about how "spoiled" fans are or how fans should quit bitching about things that are so irrelevant.

Hell, if that is the standard, we might as well get rid of the video boards, sound system, concession stands, etc. because none of those have anything to do with the product on the field.

Now, if you want to have an adult conversation about this, it is worth examining the importance of providing your consumer with the types of conveniences that would not only enhance their experience at the game, but also not work against that experience.

In the end, I think most complaining about a lack of Wifi are more worried about a lack of cell service for numerous people. Using your cell phone has become a way to enhance the game watching experience in terms of using things like Twitter in order to see commentary and injury updates, plus it also allows for people to follow the rest of college football.

So, if this all boils down to being an AT&T issue, I hope UK makes it pretty clear that any issues this season by AT&T customers are the result of that company being a bunch of douchebags.

All this comes down to Matt Jones throwing mud at the wall hoping something will stick (or strike a nerve) and generate hits or discussion points about HIS website.

WiFi was always in the plans, it's just being put off as one of the finishing touches that might not be complete this season. I would rather not have WiFi this year to make sure all the bathrooms are functioning properly.

I saw on the Official UK website that Commonwealth stadium is upgrading cell phone service now and adding wifi in 2016.

Can someone please tell me, as an earlier poster stated, how wifi in the football stadium is going to help us have a better football program???

It wont have a direct effect. But it would help tens of thousands of fans post their pics/tweets; furthering the #bbn #stoopstroops #allin, etc branding effect.

Who cares??? Thete to watch football not facebook or stream the whole game....it can wait

Clearly you don't get it. It is important to be able to use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Social media helps promote the football program, especially with younger recruits. Matt Jones understands this. He is TOTALLY RIGHT!!!

How on earth did our parents survive without wifi? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why not just chain your kids to your hip? People are ridiculous these days, we are so spoilt.

How on earth did our parents survive without wifi? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why not just chain your kids to your hip? People are ridiculous these days, we are so spoilt.

It is not being spoiled, it is keeping up with the times. Every generation has technology advances and whether you agree or not, become part of society. Are we spoiled because the players wear helmets that aren't leather? Are we spoiled because we have the ability to watch replays and get the calls right? Are we spoiled because we have TV options that give us the ability to watch all the games? The technology train is going to continue down the track and a vast majority of people want to be on it. Checking this message board by high speed broadband is a lot better than doing it by dial up AOL. The times are a changing.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT