ADVERTISEMENT

matt jones said he was disappointed no WIFI in commonwealth

If it makes him feel any better, my AT&T mobile phone service is essentially useless in AT&T (Dallas Cowboys) Stadium. We won't be the only venue with that issue.

Having the ability to send/receive texts or calls is not too much to ask in 20 f'ng 15. More concerned about that than the WIFI.

Reactions: ulismyman
Truth be told, I've never had an issue with signal at CWS. It does slow down but I can still receive texts and male calls and even browse twitter when needed.

-I hope there is no wifi...stop playing with your phone and watch the game. People are terrible these days...no one really wants to know what you are doing 24/7. Social media is a plague. Narcissism is bad. You(myself included) are not that important.

-texting/phone service is important...primarily for the reasons Lord Egg listed above. That is likely up to each provider rather than UK.

Reactions: Rawrrr
Not a fan of the new mayor of UK sports, but have to agree..we were sold a bill of goods that seating was decreased by 6,000 with the goal of being more "intimate" and "fan friendly"..so why wouldn't wifi/cell reception be one of the first things on your list? As an AD, If you're truly committing yourself to making a football program top-notch (or even halfway competitive) cell reception is something you have figured out on the first day..if you're going to shrink our stadium you can at least make it "fan friendly" like you promised..come on Mitch, if MJ (who is cashing checks with UK written on them) is calling you out over something football-related, then I'd say you have something serious to worry about
I like to listen the iHeart play by play on my head set. WiFi is helpful.

2b4ed010-6bfb-0131-fe31-729f71e20561.gif

I don't expect free Wifi, but I do expect to be able to use my cell phone to either make or receive calls or to text from inside the stadium.

I know I lived a great deal of my life without it and can survive a few hours during a game, but it is not 1995 and people have become reliant on that technology. It's like losing your cable or satellite signal.

What I don't know is if cell phone issues like these are common at other stadiums. All I really ask out of UK is to commit to make CWS at least as fan-friendly as other similar facilities.

I listen to the games as well, but use a regular radio and Wi-Fi is not needed. Just a note in case that interests you. I bought a little $20 MP3 player that has a radio and bring headphones to plug into it. Works great and doesn't require AA batteries. I just make sure it's charged up before the game. :)

Reactions: rudd1
Come on, we can make phone calls from Commonwealth so if you have a family emergency, you can get through. Let's celebrate the upcoming football season and put all of these other issues behind us. It will soon be time to kick off and the rest of the SEC will be ready. Meanwhile we complain about wifi.

Can someone please tell me, as an earlier poster stated, how wifi in the football stadium is going to help us have a better football program???

I think the idea is it would draw more people to games and thus the game day atmosphere will be more intimidating.

I think the idea is it would draw more people to games and thus the game day atmosphere will be more intimidating.

If you are trying to draw in people to the games that will only come if there is WIFI, I don't see those people making a game day atmosphere more intimidating...

"I'll paint my face and get rowdy...but only if there is WIFI!"

a study done recently on the declining attendance at college football games by actual college students listed clean bathrooms as much more important than quality wifi signals

Reactions: 167Hike
Not a fan of the new mayor of UK sports, but have to agree..we were sold a bill of goods that seating was decreased by 7,000 with the goal of being more "intimate" and "fan friendly" (rather than intimidating our opponents with 70,000+ screaming fans) so why wouldn't wifi/cell reception be one of the first things on your list? As an AD, If you're truly committing yourself to making a football program top-notch (or even halfway competitive) cell reception is something you have figured out on the first day..if you're going to shrink our stadium you can at least make it "fan friendly" like you promised..if we're going to have the second-smallest stadium in the SEC and have Louisville pass us in stadium size as well, we should at least have a little quality..come on Mitch, if MJ (who is cashing checks with UK written on them) is calling you out over something football-related, then I'd say that's when you should start worrying.

The real reason Mitch decreased seating wasn't because he wanted things to be more "fan friendly" let's be real..the stadium will be a slightly better fan experience, but the real reason was because if there are fewer seats what will happen? You can charge more money and corner people into giving more K-fund "donations" to keep their seats

Here's how Mitch looked at things: he saw 10,000 empty seats at the stadium while we were going 2-10, and assumed this was a trend that wouldn't change. He didn't realize that the reason those seats were empty was because of the quality of the product on the field, not because of some larger national trend of people not coming to games. In his mind he thought, "well, if those seats are going to be empty from now on, and not earning me money, why not just get rid of them and then charge more for the remaining seats?" He didn't realize that when this team actually gets halfway decent again and is winning more than 4 or 5 games, our fanbase would easily pack a 68,000 seat stadium.

If Barnhart truly cared about *winning* in football, he would realize what kind of home field advantage is offered by 7,000 extra seats..but by doing this he showed us that he doesn't care about an intimidating home field environment as much as he does being able to charge more money for seats b/c there are fewer of them available. Decreasing seating and making the seats more "valuable" (in his words) is the only way he thought he would be able to charge more for seats. He wasn't interested in an intimidating home field environment that would give our team a distinct advantage at home and help us win more games. We are the only school in the SEC to decrease seating, and IMO it was a selfish move made for the purposes of making more money, not for helping our program win more games. There's a reason no one in our conference is decreasing, and are instead *expanding*. They realize that more seats=more intimidating environment, which leads to more wins. To deny that, is just not being truthful with yourself.

In all fairness more seats didn't help Tennessee win many more games in the last 6 years.

If you are trying to draw in people to the games that will only come if there is WIFI, I don't see those people making a game day atmosphere more intimidating...

"I'll paint my face and get rowdy...but only if there is WIFI!"

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it blows not being able to do basic things like look up stats (CWF blows for showing any meaningful stats) or get injury updates from Twitter. But sure, there are others who just want to sit on Facebook.

There's not going to be wifi at Commonwealth? This is freaking ridiculous, I can never get service when I am at a game. I wanted to text my dad seated on the other side of stadium to meet me at halftime, no service. There is the other side of the coin to people that say oh you shouldn't text or be on a social media service during a game but what if its an awesome game, crazy stuff going on, a big upset no one can send out a pic or something exciting about the action, thus giving out info about UK football to build it up a bit. Will UK ever do anything forward thinking with football?

Reactions: wyldecat
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it blows not being able to do basic things like look up stats (CWF blows for showing any meaningful stats) or get injury updates from Twitter. But sure, there are others who just want to sit on Facebook.
It would be nice to check stuff out at halftime for sure - but it shouldn't be a big enough deal for people to get upset about.

Specifically remember Mitch (or someone from UK) say that cell reception and WIFI was a big thing on the checklist when it came to the fan experience. They have had 2 years to implement this in the construction. About 40 days out UK all of the sudden says they cannot implement it because of construction issues, except to the highest ticket buyers (club and boxes). I really do not care either way (just get better cell reception for phone calls), but it just looks bad to the average fan who are both season ticket holders in areas outside of the boxes and club area and the others who attend the games as well.

When it comes to the fans, folks just have to realize UK is all about the $. Its big business and that is their #1 priority. Not your needs or desires unless you are a big spender.

AT&T is Terri or during bb of fb games. Verizon works, part of ythe blame is the phone companies not UK.

Who cares??? Thete to watch football not facebook or stream the whole game....it can wait

I like being able to see scores of other games around the country since UK puts so few scores up around the stadium and mostly just keeps repeating scores of the same games and not updating them very often. There are some legitimate reasons for having wi-fi other than facebook, twitter, etc. Plus, UK asks you to twitter them during the games in Commonwealth for a number of reasons including ones of emergency issues.

Reactions: DACats86
UK puts up the same few scores of other games (usually only three or four games), and never updates them during the game. It would be nice to be able to use my phone to get some live updates.

UK puts up the same few scores of other games (usually only three or four games), and never updates them during the game. It would be nice to be able to use my phone to get some live updates.
Amen.

Actually, it is ridiculous that fans feel the need to check their phones for other scores when you have a multi-million dollar operation incapable of providing this on the CWS scoreboards.

Honestly, those ribbon boards should have real time scores for all SEC and top 25 games.

All it takes is for UK to make an effort to give a damn.

a study done recently on the declining attendance at college football games by actual college students listed clean bathrooms as much more important than quality wifi signals
Interesting, but, quite frankly, I don't believe it. At least not in the context of whether it is important to a $120M stadium renovation to provide a "smaller, more fan friendly venue" is concerned. The fact is people "expect" reasonably clean and maintained bathrooms in such venues. So, yes, in that sense, "clean bathrooms" are more important than WiFi. But if you are spending that much money to making CWS more fan friendly, lack of good WiFi/celluar reception seems like a pretty big omission.

Why? The Millennials (as well as many others) are literally joined at the hip (pocket) to their mobile technology. That's not me (I got a flip phone [laughing]) but I recognize how important "connectivity" is to to sooooo many others, many of which I suspect are also UK fans and season ticket holders. But the point is, smartphone users have come to expect ubiquitous data service just about anywhere they can sit down. Cards had a bunch of fans at Clemson and I recall how many folks said there was zero connectivity problems there (but I noted antenna stacks spotted all around the stadium).

For some reason I seem to remember reading a number of ~$10M to fully cover a typical stadium venue. But don't quote that figure. Plus, it is a fairly straight forward "add on" should the UKAA decide to do it.

Peace

The club seats & suites will have WiFi, Matt. Just pony up vs. expecting freebies.

I have Verizon and have had little trouble checking scores, twitter, etc. I'm guessing those who don't have T-mobile, Sprint or AT&T.

Hopefully there is a plan to add wifi but i'm guessing it's not going to be that fast anyways with so many people. Adding more cell capacity would be better money spent.

-fair point about checking scores. I have unlimited data...so I just use cell provider intraweb. I just think folks should enjoy the moment and actually interact with other "real" human beings during the games. Not sure I really *need* copious amounts of real time info while I am actually experiencing something in real life. I am old.

/soapbox

Let's be honest - even if they do add WIFI to CWS it will be too slow to even matter.

If Barnhart truly cared about *winning* in football, he would realize what kind of home field advantage is offered by 7,000 extra seats..but by doing this he showed us that he doesn't care about an intimidating home field environment as much as he does being able to charge more money for seats b/c there are fewer of them available. Decreasing seating and making the seats more "valuable" (in his words) is the only way he thought he would be able to charge more for seats. He wasn't interested in an intimidating home field environment that would give our team a distinct advantage at home and help us win more games. We are the only school in the SEC to decrease seating, and IMO it was a selfish move made for the purposes of making more money, not for helping our program win more games. There's a reason no one in our conference is decreasing, and are instead *expanding*. They realize that more seats=more intimidating environment, which leads to more wins. To deny that, is just not being truthful with yourself.

Such a tired argument. If you still aren't satisfied that UK Athletics has made a commitment to football, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you never will be. I guess the good news is not many folks are thinking like you anymore - at least I haven't seen any 'Ditch Mitch and Mark' bumper stickers around.

Guys can you explain to me why I NEVER turn wi fi for my phone on....BUT never have issues any where with connection?

I literally never turn it on...but always can call, text or get onto internet.

iPad yes have to turn it on...but never on iphone

I like to check and see how the basketball recruits visits are going during the games and with zero access to twitter it's basically impossible. Sounds like that will get fixed in 2017.

Reactions: rudd1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT