ADVERTISEMENT

matt jones said he was disappointed no WIFI in commonwealth

Who cares??? Thete to watch football not facebook or stream the whole game....it can wait
There are other reasons for wifi. Last time I was there I tried listening to the game over iheart which of course you can't do because no wifi. I know people used to going to games in Commonwealth just think to bring a radio but I am more used to going to other stadiums mostly pro stadiums. I normally don't think about taking a radio with me I just use my phone for that.

Don't cell phones work in the open bowl of the stadium? Seems like I remember using mine there. I guess with 60,000 or so in the stands, the circuits could get overloaded.
I don't see how much trouble it would be to add wifi. A fiber optic cable and several access points around the stadium should do it. Maybe there is something I am missing about the cost or complexity.

With the length of college football games approaching almost 3 and 1/2 hours, the actual "game time" only amounts to about 11 minutes. There are numerous TV timeouts that take forever and it is nice to get caught up during those breaks. I like to glance down at Twitter and see why so and so is not in the game or what extent someone is injured. I also like to see what is going on in other games around the country. I like to have information. It is frustrating to wonder why Mark Stoops took so and so out of the game when he is playing well, only to get a text from a friend that takes two hours to go through that says he has a concussion and won't return. Smart phones have given us the opportunity to have knowledge of the game while we are at the game and I think it is very important to today's stadium experience.

Reactions: ForeverFeline
WIFI could add so much to the game experience, considering the ribbon boards and scoreboards are too slow and the people running them are not in tune with what's going on. Also, as was mentioned above, pregame, TV timeouts and Halftime make for PLENTY of time to use your phone.

WIFI can make the games better by providing:

Real time stats
Injury updates
Scores of other games
Talking to those watching on TV to see what an analyst says about any play
Replays of gameplay, because our video boards often won't show controversial calls or turnovers until after the play.
Listening to Tome leach and the rest of the UK network whenever you want
Chatting with other friends about the game that aren't sitting with you

These are just some of the many ways that the internet and phone service can enhance the gameday experience.

Todays youth(students) are used to getting info RIGHT NOW. When their ability to connect with others is compromised, they will stay home where they can see the game, interact with their network of friends and get the info they want instantly.

You have to believe that high quality WIFI would increase the student attendance as well as make the games better.

Don't cell phones work in the open bowl of the stadium? Seems like I remember using mine there. I guess with 60,000 or so in the stands, the circuits could get overloaded.
I don't see how much trouble it would be to add wifi. A fiber optic cable and several access points around the stadium should do it. Maybe there is something I am missing about the cost or complexity.

Cell phones work but they are spotty. I could pick up Tom Leach's call on the concourse but not at my seat. It might have been overloaded towers. More than likely however it was probably some sort of obstruction that created dead spots. At any rate I agree that open wifi shouldn't be that hard. I'm guessing the only obstacle to it would be making sure that it can handle the capacity. They will be having it in the suites so they can clearly get it running. Probably just not for 60,000 people.

Do the…

Florida Gators have WiFi at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium? NO
Georgia Bulldogs
have WiFi at Sanford Stadium? NO (Coming Soon)
Kentucky Wildcats
have WiFi at Commonweatlh Stadium? NO
Missouri Tigers
have WiFi at Faurot Field? NO
Vanderbilt Commodores
have WiFi at Vanderbilt Stadium? NO
South Carolina Gamecocks have WiFi at Williams-Brice Stadium? YES
Tennessee Volunteers
have WiFi at Neyland Stadium? NO
Auburn Tigers
have WiFi at Jordan-Hare Stadium? YES (Not Free)
Arkansas Razorbacks
have WiFi at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium? NO
LSU Tigers have WiFi at Tiger Stadium? NO
Ole Miss Rebels have WiFi at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium? YES
Texas A&M Aggies
have WiFi at Kyle Field? NO
Alabama Crimson Tide
have WiFi at Bryant-Denny Stadium? NO
Mississippi State Bulldogs
have WiFi at Davis Wade Stadium? NO

In the Southeastern Conference, 21.4% (3/14) of college teams offer WiFi in their stadium.

http://blog.socialsign.in/2014/08/23/2014-college-football-wifi/

Good Lord people, you all seem to be getting your panties in a wad. Wifi will eventually be in the stadium, it was one of the big selling points. but the unfinished construction is likely preventing it at this time for a number of reasons. The stadium isn't going to be finished for opening day. it will be functional, but not finished.

WIFI could add so much to the game experience, considering the ribbon boards and scoreboards are too slow and the people running them are not in tune with what's going on. Also, as was mentioned above, pregame, TV timeouts and Halftime make for PLENTY of time to use your phone.

WIFI can make the games better by providing:

Real time stats
Injury updates
Scores of other games
Talking to those watching on TV to see what an analyst says about any play
Replays of gameplay, because our video boards often won't show controversial calls or turnovers until after the play.
Listening to Tome leach and the rest of the UK network whenever you want
Chatting with other friends about the game that aren't sitting with you

These are just some of the many ways that the internet and phone service can enhance the gameday experience.

Todays youth(students) are used to getting info RIGHT NOW. When their ability to connect with others is compromised, they will stay home where they can see the game, interact with their network of friends and get the info they want instantly.

You have to believe that high quality WIFI would increase the student attendance as well as make the games better.

-all this may be true...and awful. Expectation of instant gratification/having the attention span of a gnat is *not* a good thing. Hell/handbasket.

Reactions: domino79
We all just want better service to call our bookies or acces on line gambling accounts.

Who cares??? Thete to watch football not facebook or stream the whole game....it can wait

I was talking to an IT guy about installing wifi for a company that just employees around 2000k people with about 850 at most being their at once.
He was telling me it would take a lot of money to make it work for just say 100 people to use it as everybody would be streaming and taking up bandwidth.
Said the service would be locked up to a crawl in seconds and it would take a lotta $ to have enough bandwidth to supply the amount of people at this company.

I couldn't imagine supplying the bandwidth for 60k people in a single place. The obstacles would be huge.

Matt needs to chill on this for the time being until the technology becomes much cheaper then let's talk about it.

I like being able to see scores of other games around the country since UK puts so few scores up around the stadium and mostly just keeps repeating scores of the same games and not updating them very often. There are some legitimate reasons for having wi-fi other than facebook, twitter, etc. Plus, UK asks you to twitter them during the games in Commonwealth for a number of reasons including ones of emergency issues.

It sounds to me like the common complaint that is rising up here is the complete lack of information on the scoreboard that many in the crowd would like to see throughout the game. I can't see this as being expensive for UK but it would take a person or two to just keep up with the scores of other games around the country and the stats for the game being played in CWS. Should be an easy fix for anyone in the K Club to mention to Mitch or their tech people.

Truth is if tailgating was outlawed we wouldn't average 25K @ games. It is a much better product on TV and the ability to watch all the games on a Saturday can't be matched.

Reactions: 167Hike
I can't recall all of thed details... But a prominent college sports marketing firm did a study investigating low student turnouts at the big two events. A primary reason stated by students was lack of wifi, so I guess it's more of keeping the next generation (of $$$) coming.

Itd be nice to be able to make a call and locate a buddy or to receive a text about a crazy ending to a game. But I don't need a selfie stick in my face so some lame picture can sit in a server farm somewhere underground forever.

IMO, nothing in all of sports compares to attending College Football games. MLB is a not too distant second, but everything else is nothing more than a diversion. That said, when I go to a Football game I don't want to get calls from work; from the people I supervise; from my wife; from my kids; etc.... There is no problem that I can do anything about that can't wait for 3-4 hours. I don't care about the news. I sure as Heck don't care what some facebook addict is having for lunch. Granted, I would like to see score updates of other CF games or MLB games but that could be taken care of simply by assigning an intern the responsibility of updating all scores every 2-3 minutes and posting on the ribbon boards (which are terribly under utilized). I go to Football games for one reason: to watch the greatest sport in the history of the world.

I'd pay an extra $5 if they took everyone's phones away from them as they enterred the stadium. Atmosphere would be immensely better.

Reactions: martycat1
IMO, nothing in all of sports compares to attending College Football games. MLB is a not too distant second, but everything else is nothing more than a diversion. That said, when I go to a Football game I don't want to get calls from work; from the people I supervise; from my wife; from my kids; etc.... There is no problem that I can do anything about that can't wait for 3-4 hours. I don't care about the news. I sure as Heck don't care what some facebook addict is having for lunch. Granted, I would like to see score updates of other CF games or MLB games but that could be taken care of simply by assigning an intern the responsibility of updating all scores every 2-3 minutes and posting on the ribbon boards (which are terribly under utilized). I go to Football games for one reason: to watch the greatest sport in the history of the world.

I'd pay an extra $5 if they took everyone's phones away from them as they enterred the stadium. Atmosphere would be immensely better.

Err my cellphone is taken away from me at commonwealth. It's useless during games.

I HATE the LLLOOOONNNNGGG TV timeouts that seem to drag on forever!!!! WiFi would help to keep me from getting mad at the guy in the red hat when he walks out onto the field after every Punt/Kickoff/Timeout/Turnover.:weary:

I was talking to an IT guy about installing wifi for a company that just employees around 2000k people with about 850 at most being their at once.
He was telling me it would take a lot of money to make it work for just say 100 people to use it as everybody would be streaming and taking up bandwidth.
Said the service would be locked up to a crawl in seconds and it would take a lotta $ to have enough bandwidth to supply the amount of people at this company.

I couldn't imagine supplying the bandwidth for 60k people in a single place. The obstacles would be huge.

Matt needs to chill on this for the time being until the technology becomes much cheaper then let's talk about it.

I can see it both ways. I am working on a similar project for my company. It is extremely expensive. Plus we don't know what kind of service lines run to Commonwealth right now. It might not just be a problem with setting it up for the stadium. You might have to put new cabling in the ground. None of this is cheap. However at the same time you are talking about a 15 million dollar project. Expensive as it might be it wouldn't be a drop in the well for the total cost of the renovation and new training facilities. Also this will need to be done at some point anyway. This would represent forward thinking. This is a bigger deal for students than some may think. It's not a killer or anything but it is something that would have been nice to have.

So Matt Jones wants everybody to pay higher ticket prices so he can doodle on his phone. Sounds like Matt Jones.

Reactions: martycat1
People who think that everyone on their phone is just checking Facebook or whatever are just naive. There are a lot of online resources that can be accessed to make the game a better experience. If you follow the right people on Twitter, you can get information about why someone isn't in the game, what injury they have, what is going on on the benches, etc. Obviously, you can keep up with the stats better as well. You can also discuss the game with friends who might not be able to be there in person.

I guess people who listen to the broadcast on the radio aren't paying attention to the game either, huh? The internet has definitely increased the fan experience of watching a game for me.

Reactions: catben and LordEgg
Talked with an AT&T representative a coupe of weeks ago about this issue. He told me that Verizone and Sprint bring in portable towers during home games, this is why their customers do not have significant issues accessing their networks. After hearing that, I now remember seeing them at the games. He went on to say that AT&T is upgrading their service at Commonwealth as part of the renovation with fiber optics and repeaters in the stadium.

The issue with cell phone service is not a UK issue it is a provider issue.

I can't recall all of thed details... But a prominent college sports marketing firm did a study investigating low student turnouts at the big two events. A primary reason stated by students was lack of wifi, so I guess it's more of keeping the next generation (of $$$) coming.
Sheesh.......I just posted a touching link on pg 1 of a real named study where wifi was one of the lowest reasons students were not attending college football games. It is a myth, an assumption by old people trying to understand crazy teenagers and their weird behavior.

Obviously, some people don't think that wifi is important and that is ok. There is a lot of people that would like it and I think it enhances the game experience by knowing information. After spending a week in Disney and being able to keep up with scores around the country and information, the wifi network there was awesome. It is something that I like and it seems that about half the people on here would like to have access to it as well, so I think it is an important component to the stadium for a lot of people. I don't care how many other SEC stadiums do not have it, I want it as part of our stadium and it has been a dangled carrot for several years now.

-yep...I just gotta know why such and such didnt play in the last series...and if I miss a big play whilst I am checking my twitter feed no biggie...someone will just post a replay and I can watch it on my phone.

-bottom line : nobody needs that much real time info...its superfluous.

I would think it would be needed if for recruits if nothing else. Having a blast at CWS time to post a selfie with the other recruits... Ah dang no signal....

That would be cool to recruits IMO

120 million.... Why would you not?

I had a flip phone until Jan of this year, lol. With my new smart phone, I'll probably leave in the car like I do when going to restaurants, meeting with folks, etc. Personally like to give my full attention to the game and the people present. No wifi at CWS is a non-event for me, lol.

The main point about this thread is that some of you will complain about ANYTHING Matt Jones says or does. It's kind of funny.

As for wifi, I would prefer to be able to text someone while at Commonwealth but it's not something I rely on. For a media member like Matt though (who uses his social media presence to further his business), I would bet it's probably a bit more of an issue and I have no problem with that at all.

It's reasonable to expect state of the art technology in a stadium redo that cost more than 1/10 of a billion dollars. Folks that say "watch the game" and "it isnt needed" arent complaining about food and restroom upgrades even though the same could be said about those.

image%25255B21%25255D.png

"Sarah, get me Jaunita over at the diner"

Truth is if tailgating was outlawed we wouldn't average 25K @ games. It is a much better product on TV and the ability to watch all the games on a Saturday can't be matched.
You basing that on UK being good or bad...If we are winning I think you are totally wrong about attendance...May be true for fair weather fans...Are you one of those?

As I said earlier, in a 60 minute football game, there is actually 11 minutes of game action. So, in three and a half hours at a football game, I have become savvy enough to not have my phone out during an actual play. During a timeout, I would like the ability to go back and see a replay or check out a score of a game elsewhere. I like to have the ability of looking at Twitter and seeing comments about the game. Like I said before, if you don't like to do that, then that is your choice and I get that. I think Commonwealth Stadium should be as state of the art as it can be. The fact that the core group of around 20 people that I have sat next to at the stadium have all been moved around, I would like the opportunity to shoot them a text during a timeout and get their feedback and what they think to that point.

Sheesh.......I just posted a touching link on pg 1 of a real named study where wifi was one of the lowest reasons students were not attending college football games. It is a myth, an assumption by old people trying to understand crazy teenagers and their weird behavior.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/college-football-game-attendance-dropping-due-lack-wifi/

This is what I was "touching" thinking of. It doesn't help that football is slow in terms of overall duration. You are there 3 hours to watch 15 minutes of action. Gotta do something to pass the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT