ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men

This last episode will have to be a blivet to get it all resolved: Ten pounds in a five pound bag. I guess everyone is squared up but Roger and Peggy and Don to some degree or other, but Betty and Don have to deal with her news, something has to happen to end the mystery waitress thread, I suspect Pete's happily ever after will be a lot more complicated.

Or they could 'Soprano' it. I remember thinking they'd never get that all wrapped up -- and they didn't try.

Still have to wrap up Roger, Don and Peggy. No idea where it's going but Don seeing himself in that room service kid and I'd assume heading back home, where ever that is for him.

I think Pete is pretty much done as is Betty to some degree. They haven't been beating these sendoffs into the ground. It's gotta be mostly the big 3. Is Peggy going or staying, what's don going to do with his fresh new start after admitting to killing off Don Draper and how do they close out Roger.

...and yeah, Sally Draper has become fantastic. She's always been good but she's gotten better. Maybe the most underrated character on the show.

Still cracks me up after 7-8 seasons of watching this show people are expecting some big dramatic ending. There will be no Manson family stuff, no DB Cooper stuff, etc. Learn Mad Men.

The case could be made that last night's episode could have served as the last one. IMO, everyone but Don is sufficiently wrapped up. And even Don's story could stop now and (although currently ambiguous), some finality can be gleaned from it. I'm not necessarily saying that the finale won't deal with any of the characters back in NY, but it doesn't have to.

-Roger is fading into retirement (and Megan's mom). His last interaction with Joan was symbolic of their relationship.

-If Joan were to end right now, we would assume that she cashed out, ended up with quite a bit of money, and also, still has the new guy to take care of her.

-Peggy's badass stroll through McCann could be viewed as her taking control of her bright future there.

-Pete's story could have more to come, but it could also stand as-is, and we assume he and Trudy start over and move to Wichita.

-Betty may be already dead. Her final climb up (and fall on) the staircase as Sally read her letter might signify her death. Stairway to heaven, and all.

I hope the final episode is 100% about Don's journey to self-discovery and his identity coming full circle. IMO, he has to finish in California, as that has always been his place of rebirth and renewal. If he comes back to NY to take care of the kids, that would be a happy ending and show personal growth on his part, but I really don't want that to happen. Too trite, IMO. And the boys are fine in Henry's care.

I've read that Weiner has always known what the last line of the series is going to be. My guess - and hope - is that it's: "I'm Dick Whitman".

Love that post Century. And while you could be right about Peggy, I've always seen her as the 1b to Don's 1a in the show. Just feels like there should be something else for her. But the way you worded it, sounds like a good end for Peggy too.

90% agree, Century. The finale should be 10% Roger and Peggy (as they are IMO the only ones with any loose ends left to tie up) and 90% Don. If they go back to Joan or Betty or Pete at this point I think it would be overkill. Their arcs have ended ambiguously enough to not be "too perfect", while also being satisfying. Perfect, really.

The case could be made that last night's episode could have served as the last one. IMO, everyone but Don is sufficiently wrapped up. And even Don's story could stop now and (although currently ambiguous), some finality can be gleaned from it. I'm not necessarily saying that the finale won't deal with any of the characters back in NY, but it doesn't have to.

-Roger is fading into retirement (and Megan's mom). His last interaction with Joan was symbolic of their relationship.

-If Joan were to end right now, we would assume that she cashed out, ended up with quite a bit of money, and also, still has the new guy to take care of her.

-Peggy's badass stroll through McCann could be viewed as her taking control of her bright future there.

-Pete's story could have more to come, but it could also stand as-is, and we assume he and Trudy start over and move to Wichita.

-Betty may be already dead. Her final climb up (and fall on) the staircase as Sally read her letter might signify her death. Stairway to heaven, and all.

I hope the final episode is 100% about Don's journey to self-discovery and his identity coming full circle. IMO, he has to finish in California, as that has always been his place of rebirth and renewal. If he comes back to NY to take care of the kids, that would be a happy ending and show personal growth on his part, but I really don't want that to happen. Too trite, IMO. And the boys are fine in Henry's care.

I've read that Weiner has always known what the last line of the series is going to be. My guess - and hope - is that it's: "I'm Dick Whitman".

Agree with
90% agree, Century. The finale should be 10% Roger and Peggy (as they are IMO the only ones with any loose ends left to tie up) and 90% Don. If they go back to Joan or Betty or Pete at this point I think it would be overkill. Their arcs have ended ambiguously enough to not be "too perfect", while also being satisfying. Perfect, really.

Agree. Just a glance into their story. But I think the bulk will be Don. I just wonder how much interaction, if at all, there will be between Don and Betty.

Hopefully none. I think it's best if there is a sufficient jump in time in the next episode to where all of the things that started in the last episode are just assumed to have already come to fruition. I will be disappointed if Betty is mentioned in any way other than maybe a phone call from Sally to Don, or Don leaving the funeral as his final impetuous to start over. Something along those lines.

I guess they could focus on Don but that seems to take away with the jumping around in every episode with various characters. I can't remember and episode that has the sole focus on one character.

*I guess Joan's story line is done, but I kinda think they pussied out on that one. She just isn't the type of woman to be tossed aside like trash, even if she is conveniently landing in the arms of a millionaire businessman. I was hoping she'd have her boyfriend's connections toss one of the Mcann guys out of a window.

*Peggy really shouldn't be done. That's a pretty weak ending for her as well.

*Basically, I think they dicked around for too many episodes of this final season before they figured out where they wanted to go. The whole waitress storyline was complete and total unnecessary bullshit. There is nothing he "learned" from that arc that he hadn't already "learned".

I guess they could focus on Don but that seems to take away with the jumping around in every episode with various characters. I can't remember and episode that has the sole focus on one character.

But to me, it would be too tidy and expected for Weiner to keep the same formula and cover several characters in each episode as he usually does. He seems to like surprising the audience and the fact that everyone is *arguably* at a natural stopping point with the exception of Don means that the door is open for Weiner to focus solely on him.

Who knows, but it's fun to speculate and discuss. Maybe Weiner will throw everyone a curve ball and leave Don out of the final episode altogether! LOL.

I agree with Chase on Diana the Waitress. I am holding out hope that she has some sort of unexpected significance that Weiner brilliantly weaves into the finale to bring it full circle. I'm probably being too optimistic. Otherwise, then yes, she was a complete and total waste of time and episodes. Nothing but filler, and not even a pleasant, enjoyable (or at all hot) character.

Maybe Weiner will throw everyone a curve ball and leave Don out of the final episode altogether! LOL

That would actually make a decent amount of sense if it just ended with him sitting there waiting for a bus.

But, because they did that little flash forward bit at the beginning with the cops stopping him and Don saying that there was some sort of mistake, it wouldn't work. I don't know what that was all about unless the kid took his car and ran somebody over, killing them. Maybe someone got a description of the license plate but didn't find the driver or the car, and now they arrest Don for murder.

It would actually be kind of fitting for a case of mistaken identity to cost him the freedom he so craves.

-That was a dream. The part with the cops saying, "we've finally caught up with you." I assume his subconscious feeling chased all these years.

-Joan is done and I think it was proper. The show is pretty tough on the female characters but I suppose so was the corporate ladder in that era. Her ending with Roger taking care of her has tons of meaning. While she puts on a tough persona, in the end she was running to Roger to deal with her issues. The show started with her being sheltered by him and ended that way.

-I'd be shocked if Peggy doesn't get a lot of time. Way too important of a character to not really be done with. Same with Roger.

-I didn't really mind the waitress and I think it was 2nd episode of the final run that I really felt was wasted. All the others have been superb.

-My thoughts are similar to 100Cat that it will conclude with Don being Dick in some way. West coast makes a ton of sense. However, I have correctly predicted anything so..

Was it for sure a dream? I took it as a flash forward, but obviously I could be wrong.

*As for Joan, I don't think Roger really helped her out at all. I actually think she took it as "you know what, f*ck it, if Roger isn't going to help me here then I might as well give up." Only she has never been the type to just give up. It'd be much more in character for her if she did sue McCann, IMO.

Hopefully none. I think it's best if there is a sufficient jump in time in the next episode to where all of the things that started in the last episode are just assumed to have already come to fruition. I will be disappointed if Betty is mentioned in any way other than maybe a phone call from Sally to Don, or Don leaving the funeral as his final impetuous to start over. Something along those lines.

I do think there will be a pretty good leap of time. I think Betty will be dead.
Was it for sure a dream? I took it as a flash forward, but obviously I could be wrong.

I definitely took it as a dream, fwiw.

Think it would be pretty out of character if Wiener had Joan suing the agency. Especially in the end. If there was another season, maybe but that's what he seems to be doing is give them all a new beginning.

DB Cooper theory is pretty spot in IMHO.

A close second is the "Impostor Evel Knievel" theory. (Don is the lone witness to an Evel Knievel accident, whereupon he dons* the helmet and society is never the wiser.

*Get it?

Really it's just a shame Joan didn't get her shirt ripped off at some point. Biggest flaw in television history, IMO.

*As for Joan, I don't think Roger really helped her out at all. I actually think she took it as "you know what, f*ck it, if Roger isn't going to help me here then I might as well give up."

Yes, that's how I took it. Roger has failed her on more than one occasion. IMO, if they were going to do more with Joan in the finale, they wouldn't have given her the new boyfriend as a soft landing spot. From where things are right now, we can assume that with $250K + devoted, wealthy new boyfriend, she landed on her feet. Not perfectly, as the show accurately reflects what many women were still facing in the workplace back then, but still, on her feet, with money in her pocket and a bright future with the new guy.

But, as anth said, this show is hard to predict so who the hell knows.

Also, this is bugging me. Weiner is meticulous on details, but the following makes no sense. Don goes from Racine, Wisconsin to St. Paul, Minnesota. OK, fine.

Then, he apparently saw a 2-headed cow in Wyoming. OK, fine. But if he's going to the Grand Canyon, why in TH did he not drive south from Wyoming? He backtracks hundreds of miles back east into Kansas, and then down to Oklahoma. From there, he intends to pick up Highway (now Interstate) 35, and then I-40 west to the Grand Canyon.

That is a very wide swath. Is this significant? I guess a month has passed since the last episode, so is this just meant to show us how aimlessly he is meandering with no purpose? It just seems way too far out of the way. But maybe that's why.

However, two more points:

-Looking at a map, Alva, OK is very close to Wichita, KS. Coincidence?

-Also, it's probably not a coincidence that Don is smack dab in the middle of the US. Figuratively torn between his old life in NY, and the (at times) place of his absolution (from Anna) and reinvention - CA. One episode left, and he can head in either direction. Torn between two coasts, although Weiner has not really beaten us over the head with that.

I'm probably over-analyzing, but maybe not. It's cool how many details and layers this show has. Nearly every detail seems to have meaning.

He's also shedding the material possessions of Don Draper as he heads to the ocean.

He dumped his car and now he's down to a shopping bag (suit's gone?) and the casual clothes on his back.

Really wish someone would shoot Jim Hobart in the face. I just don't like that guy.

Anyone know how long Don has been gone? Duck said to Peter he's been there a month but Betty's letter was dated in October.

Reactions: anthonys735
He's also shedding the material possessions of Don Draper as he heads to the ocean.

He dumped his car and now he's down to a shopping bag (suit's gone?) and the casual clothes on his back.

Yes, and it's become obvious just how much last year's Season 7 First Half Finale foreshadowed all of this (Don's vision of Cooper singing that the best things in life are free).

A lot of the recaps are putting stock in Season 1 and Don's interaction with the Hobo as a child. I don't remember that well. Also, the pilot with him pitching Lucky Strike as being "toasted" rather than harmful, I do remember, in relation to Betty. Wish I had time to run through that first season again before Sunday.

AMC is running the marathon starting tomorrow at 6:00 PM with the Pilot. Seems like forever ago when i watched it.

What is so great about being a Hobo?
He can be a drunk without responsibility. He's to vain for that though. May be too predictable but I think starts over as Dick Whitman somewhere, probably in Cali.

I really just want about 4-5 more Roger Sterling zingers and on his way out I think he can deliver.

Is he going to let Henry raise his kids? I mean, I get leaving the fast paced advertising world, but I can't see him just driving off to California with his two sons left to their step-dad. Doesn't change the end result of where he ends up, but the children will have to be addressed

Is he going to let Henry raise his kids? I mean, I get leaving the fast paced advertising world, but I can't see him just driving off to California with his two sons left to their step-dad. Doesn't change the end result of where he ends up, but the children will have to be addressed

I agree. Don's a fundamentally decent guy so I don't think the show is going to end with him abandoning his kids. I think him getting beaten up by those small town drunks puts an end to his hobo life and will cause him to go back to his real home, NYC, though not necessarily his old job and lifestyle. Or at least that's how I hope it ends.

-Even with Betty's impending death, I think it's 50/50 at best that Don resumes any of his old life. Weiner has been showing us how distant he is from the boys, and how they seem to think of Henry as their father. The show has not given us any evidence of Don being close to the boys AT ALL, and IMO, that's for a reason. Of course, I could be 100% wrong, but if it ends up that neatly, I doubt I'll completely buy it.

-I haven't seen anyone say this, but don't Bobby and Gene face the same situation as Don did growing up? Don's real mom died, he was raised by his dad and stepmom, then his dad died, leaving him without either natural parent to raise him - right? Either history repeats itself (with Henry, a much better class of stepparent), or Don changes course and takes care of them.

-Again, I think Weiner has done a masterful job of building the suspense by putting Don smack-dab in the middle of the US, torn between two coasts, getting ready to board a bus with one episode left. Which way is he headed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT