ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men

ctharris07

All-SEC
Mar 11, 2005
Old thread got lost in the interwebs somewhere.

Was bummed that Betty didn't let Glenn at least get some boob action. Now he'll die in Vietnam only having had a piece of her hair.

Feel like the end for Draper is going to be unpleasant. Don't know if it will be death or what, but he's basically lost all of his "pull." Everyone at the agency treats him like a joke. He doesn't seem as revered. Even young copywriters are talking ish to him.

The first few episodes haven't been earth shattering, but I'm holding hope that it is setting up for something good to end on.

What 4 more episodes? There may not be enough episodes to make this a chore but if it does not pick up then its going to be close.

I look back at the last two episodes of the "first half" of the season and how great they were. Hope to see something like that. It is getting down to the wire though.

I thought the last episode was fantastic. Going to be interesting to see if they kill off Roger or what happens there. Really the only way I can wrap my head round this mysterious speech. I think Don walks at the end. We've seen DD down in the gutters before. That's nothing new. Draper walks, Peggy takes his place, Joan gets her man, Roger dies. Not sure what happens to fat sloppy Pete, he's become pretty forgettable.

The Wire was good for its time, but it has all the intricacies and taste of a Hardy Boys series upon a second viewing.

As the Paddock's preeminent entertainment tastemaker, I stand by my ruling.

When Draper walks, I wonder if they will bring back the recurring ocean motif - i.e., Draper wades into the Pacific when he wants to "cleanse himself" and be "reborn". He's done that before - does he do it one final time to conclude the Donald Draper persona? It would also tie in with the ad campaign he wanted to do for Hawaii in the first episode of Season 4(?).

It was nice to see tonight's episode focus more on work and the agency than personal lives. Obviously still intertwining, especially with Peggy.

So what will be Draper's swan song at McCann??

Like that Pete can still light a fire for Trudy. Maybe they reconnect?

Interesting seeing Don being brushed aside, if not ignored, 2 times in the final few minutes of the episode. Certainly new territory for him.

Interesting seeing Don being brushed aside, if not ignored, 2 times in the final few minutes of the episode. Certainly new territory for him.
Also left alone in a bar while everyone else had someone to comfort them. One of my all time favorite episodes. Wonder if he saves the day one last time or the all fall in line? Changing my Roger dies, b/c of the speech angle, to Roger is forced to retirement. Maybe that triggers Don walking away, since they seem to be buiding up Don and Rogers relationship. Anyone thinking Peggy and Stan unite? They've played with that tension for a long time but he's typically not that obvious with such things.

Also left alone in a bar while everyone else had someone to comfort them. One of my all time favorite episodes. Wonder if he saves the day one last time or the all fall in line? Changing my Roger dies, b/c of the speech angle, to Roger is forced to retirement. Maybe that triggers Don walking away, since they seem to be buiding up Don and Rogers relationship. Anyone thinking Peggy and Stan unite? They've played with that tension for a long time but he's typically not that obvious with such things.

I could see Roger walking away. Peggy and Stan joining forces at the new firm, but not romantically. Hard to say.

Even harder to guess about Don and Pete. They've had an unusual relationship that we haven't seen resurface. Pete knows Dons true identity and kept it quiet all this time. Plus Don paid a large sum (50k maybe) for Pete not long thereafter. So that loyalty may come into play. But who knows.

That bar scene was strong.

In the past sitting alone at the bar was Don Draper's zone. He owned that bar. People came to him and he exuded confidence.

Now he is disheveled and dying for some comfort. Something he never had to seek out before.

I could see Roger walking away. Peggy and Stan joining forces at the new firm, but not romantically. Hard to say.

Even harder to guess about Don and Pete. They've had an unusual relationship that we haven't seen resurface. Pete knows Dons true identity and kept it quiet all this time. Plus Don paid a large sum (50k maybe) for Pete not long thereafter. So that loyalty may come into play. But who knows.
Don revealed his true identity to the partners like 5 seasons ago.

Pete brings Adam's box to Don in his office; he is eager for a promotion. When Pete is unable to convince Don to promote him, Pete reveals that he knows about Don's past. According to his friend at the defense department, Dick Whitman died in Korea 10 years ago in 1950. A man named Donald Draper dropped off the map; he would be 43 years old by now. Pete states that Don looks remarkably good for a 43 year old.

The next day, Don returns to the office and approaches Pete. "I thought about what you said, and then I thought about you and what a deep lack of character you have," he says, adding that he will hire Herman Phillips. Pete threatens to go to Cooper, but Don calls his bluff and walks out to give Cooper the news. Confused at how Don would rather lose it all than see him succeed, Pete follows Don into Cooper's office with him. Don tells Cooper he's hiring Herman Phillips, then looks to Pete. Pete returns the glance and tells Cooper how Don is really Dick Whitman, a deserter and criminal. "Who cares?" Cooper replies as Don calmly lights another cigarette. "This country was built and run by men with worse stories than whatever you've imagined here"

Cooper and Pete knew, but the rest of the partners didn't know until Don broke down in front of Hershey's in the last episode of season six (last season).

Then he was on garden leave to start this season.

Man two episodes left? Everytime I watch I find myself thinking is this the last time I'll see a certain character.

What an awful place McCann Erickson would be to work. Really like how they opened with Don going down a crowded hallway at McCann. It was just so different than SCP. Of course the only one that seems to be OK with the move is Pete. Ultimately I guess the buying of SCP was to get Don and essentially shut them down. But this isn't the same Don Draper that Hobart wanted several seasons earlier.

Yeah the White Whale line was the most meaningful line of the season thus far. Like Don's a trophy on his wall. Then right into the big meeting with all the other "Don's."

-The Joan sequence was awesome. Sold out, again but kept a little dignity by going down fighting. Now off to live the good life with her new man.

-The Roger-Peggy scene was good as well. "Would you drink vermouth?" "Sadly... yes." Lots of good quotes in there.

-Looks like the Betty-School-Psychology scene is finally going to play out with whatever angle they'e aiming for next week.

2 episodes left and no clue what's going to happen with Don.

I just don't like the waitress story line. At all.
I'm hoping that it was just a jumping off point to get Don out on the road and in to whatever craziness St. Paul has in store. My fingers are crossed that last night was the last time we hear about the waitress.

I've always suspected Don would just vanish -- reassuming his Dick Whitman persona. The scene where he looked into the envelope and saw his old Social Security card suggests it may be going that way. I could see the last shot of the last episode being Don walking into an office in California and saying, 'I'm Dick Whitman. I'm here about the job.'

By the way, for people who like mysteries: In the late 1960s, a New York creative executive -- in this case a Newsweek editor -- simply vanished from the face of the earth. Tell me this guy doesn't look a little like Don Draper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lake_(journalist)

Last edited:
Reactions: ctharris07
Any thought to a crazy theory I had that maybe Joan's new man might make one of those McCann executives be the guy falling from the top floor window (like in the credits) at the end of the last episode after what he offered to do for her in bed before she took the deal?

Can't think of a scenario where anyone falls off a building. Nothing about this show would lead me to believe they would do something that obvious. The fact that they keep putting Don near windows is a reference to all of the theories about Don being the guy in the credits; with the implication being the writers are aware of the theories and are simply toying with the people who write them, not legitimately building to it.

Yep caught the window tie in at his new office. Got a good chuckle.
Thought that was more showing him being annoyed by everything at the place but could also be them toying with the theories.

I'd be stunned and a little pissed if someone fell to their death. Nothing they do is obvious but it's brilliant. At this point I'm not sure what will be the most satisfying way for Draper to end this. I just keep going back to him being in a really really long downward trend until last episode where he may have gotten as low as I can remember with his antics in Racine.

Strong episode.

So it's setting up directly towards the DB Cooper story. Which means that can't possibly be what happens.

Final episode will be Peggy and Don centric right? Hopefully get a little bit of Roger as well. Looking forward to it.

Final scene will be Don calling Pete and asking for a Lear jet to come pick him up.

And then that jet will crash on the island from Lost, which is home of the DHARMA* Initiative.

* Don Hsomething Asomething Rsomething Msomething Asomething

I didnt get a good feeling about that Podunk town from the start. And I never liked Roy from The Office.

ADVERTISEMENT