ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men

Like he said, as far as I can remember they haven't directly ripped any specific ad campaign. Can't imagine the show ending on one. Him ending up at M-E would kind of surprise me.

I've been mulling my own theory. Surprised I haven't heard or read anyone say anything like this, but . . .

Not only does Don resume the Dick Whitman persona at the end (presumably, but not necessarily, in California), it's his decision to become Dick Whitman that brings him back to consciousness as he lies in a military hospital post-Korea.

I'm going to have to watch that and other episodes again, but it might fit. While this might sound way too simplistic and an easy way out, I think it's more than that.

-Mad Men has been full of dreamlike sequences throughout the series, even to the point where we don't often know what's real and what isn't. And Don has definitely seen a lot of people we know are already dead.

-This is probably just Weiner messing with everyone, but I read that in the last episode, the radio station he was listening to in OK, the call letters were KOMA. I don't put much stock in that, but it would be another brick in that wall.

-Most of all, the theme of this show is whether people can change over time. And when they're faced with a repeat of circumstances, can they act differently than they have before? This scenario would answer that because Dick went into the war wanting to escape his identity and become someone else. He has now learned that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Only this realization, and his willingness to be Dick Whitman, will bring him back to consciousness after the explosion in Korea. This has all taken place in his mind.

I'm not firm on this yet, it's just a work in progress. I'm sure all kinds of holes can be blown in this theory, but again, it's fun to think about the different scenarios, and which ones are and aren't possible based on the clues that we've been given.

Also, to those who would say that making the past 7 years a dream sequence would diminish it, I disagree, because THEY'RE ALL FICTIONAL CHARACTERS ANYWAY. And if that's what it takes to bring Don/Dick to consciousness (in the spiritual sense), then it fits and was a hell of a lot of fun along the way.

Last edited:
There are two things Weiner has confirmed about the finale from past interviews:

1) The season 1 finale is an indication of how the series will end, because he didn't know if it would be picked up for a second season. He has said a few episodes could have been/were supposed to be the finale, so I don't know that it will be anything that far out there. If we look at the season 1 finale, it is Don imagining a perfect Thanksgiving dinner only to come home to an empty house. I can see something like Don making it to California and settling in, hell bent on returning to his Dick Whitman self only to revert back to another alias or Don Draper.

2) It will be polarizing. Does worry me slightly that he LOVES the Sopranos ending

Lol, it was absolutely a dream.

Chase is terrible at watching TV

-Oh, and Century is *really* into this show. Good work, half the stuff in this thread I didn't notice, or forgot about.

Last edited:
-A lot of what I posted is stuff I've read from bloggers who *really* pay attention, find Easter eggs and parallels between episodes. For some reason, that stuff interests me.

-Yes, amazing how much some of the cast has aged in 8 years. Don looks so young, and I *swear* that in later years they must have played with / amplified his voice to make it sound deeper.

Watching the pilot for the first time ever. Amazingly somehow it's the only episode I've never seen.

I also re-watched the Pilot last night and it seemed to be filmed with a different filter and different music tone than the current season. I guess that has to do with it being the early 60's and the current series is 10 years later. And its chilling watching Betty smoke cig after cig.

So Don Draper accurately dreamed the entire 60s - down to the date and detail of every major event - while in a coma? Seems legit.

I think the funniest thing about this show wrapping up is that the big winner is Pete Campbell. Everything has come up Milhouse for that guy. Working for Learjet, back with his hot wife, got to punch a dude in the face, made his brother feel bad. Only thing missing is him getting his hairline back.

Watching some of season one, crazy how different it is. Actors all have aged. Much looser. Voices sound different even.

Betty though, mercy.

I'm 8 episodes in, Sally is basically a baby. Crazy.

I never watched season 1, can't even remember if I watched season 2...pretty sure I got on board in Season 3, and just went back and read recaps/etc to get familiar

Ken's transition on the show has to be the biggest. Everyone else just kind of grew but Ken went from one of the boy's openly trying to wax Peggy to whatever he was the last few seasons. Beaten, one eye, loser, ethical, one step from bat shit crazy.

Final scene is in a dark bedroom as they pan to Don under the covers with a naked Sal.

Flash forward to 2005 and the final episode is just Don in a hospice telling his caretakers about all the stuff that happened in seasons 1-3.

Went home for lunch and turned it on the marathon. Caught the scene where Bobby is asking about Don's dad.

B - "What did he like to eat?"
D - "Ham. And candy. It tasted like violence."
B - "What did he look like?"
D - "Me. But bigger."
B - "But he's dead now."
D - "Yes he is."
B - "We need to get you a new daddy."

:(

Just made a funny connection watching an old ep. The episode where Pete and Don go to California for the aerospace convention and Don meets the young chick. The guy/dad who introduces him is the Husband of the hot German chick in super troopers.

Amazing how quick this show found it's feet. By the 4-5th episode it was steam rolling. Just rewatched "The Hobo Code" which is the episode everyone is pointing to, really set the stage for a ton, especially Peggy.

Maybe Peggy and Joan start their own agency.

Really gonna miss this show. I've worked at several ad agencies over my career and this show just makes me wish I could have lived and worked on Madison Avenue back in those days.

Not sure how this gets wrapped up but looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeve. Agree that the focus should be on Don, Peggy and Roger.

ADVERTISEMENT