ADVERTISEMENT

Labissiere?

FredTX

Sophomore
Sep 4, 2001
Is there any question whether or not Skal Labissiere will be allowed to play this year? Or will Emmert once again deal a killing blow to the UK program?

Is there any question whether or not Skal Labissiere will be allowed to play this year? Or will Emmert once again deal a killing blow to the UK program?

As we know grades don't seem to be a problem. And if the Cam Newton situation is anything that we can compare to, then it shouldn't be a problem with the guardian.

Again, he'll play. This is only the 25th thread over this exact topic.
There's literally zero reasons why he wouldn't be eligible.

Reactions: Brando Mac
All I know is that there will be a T-shirt.

Might as well start to apply for your copyrights now. Not sure what I'm going with. LIBRE SKAL maybe?

Reactions: gossie21
All I know is that there will be a T-shirt.

Might as well start to apply for your copyrights now. Not sure what I'm going with. LIBRE SKAL maybe?
Okay. This absolutely needs to happen.

frrevposter.jpg

Mods should merge all Skal eligibility threads into one and pin it at the top. Would make a lot of sense for the next few weeks.

I have never took the time to learn how to link but if you look him up on wikipedia it will tell you something to the effect that the jury is still out on whether he will be eligible to play or not....so hopefully Cal thinks he will be able to as he surely would not want a Kanter repeat.

I know people don't want to acknowledge it but this is an issue and a reason I don't want Maker or Briscoe. I am afraid none of these three will play a day of college BB and, if we get one more or both of these others then we could be screwed over 3 times and leave us very short handed.

Do I think he will be cleared? YES
Do I think the NCAA could make him sit out? YES

All 3 of the players mentioned may not play a day of college. If we end up with 2 or 3 of them then we will be hit hard. Rather only have one of these who is a question mark.

I know people don't want to acknowledge it but this is an issue and a reason I don't want Maker or Briscoe. I am afraid none of these three will play a day of college BB and, if we get one more or both of these others then we could be screwed over 3 times and leave us very short handed.

All 3 of the players mentioned may not play a day of college. If we end up with 2 or 3 of them then we will be hit hard. Rather only have one of these who is a question mark.
Nothing wrong with Briscoe to my knowledge..

First time I have heard of Briscoe having any problems.

First time I have heard of Briscoe having any problems.

Sorry. I might have screwed up. Who is the kid out of California that is a top player? Sorry, didn't mean to screw up. Its early and Im not doing well.

That issue aside, this is the reason I don't want Maker and the other kid. I suck this moring at remembering names.

I also have heard absolutely nothing about Briscoe's eligibility. Why do you think he won't play? EDIT: we're all bad with names in the morning, it's cool.

Skal will play. If the NCAA tries to "Kanter" him again, Cal will milk Skal's kid-who-survived-an-earthquake-only-to-be-demolished-by-the-NCAA angle all over the media. There are other factors, as well... the NCAA isn't going to DQ him, especially while they're still trying their best to sweep UNCheat's mess under the rug.

You mean Brown? Not heard anything about eligibility with him either? As for Maker i do believe coming second semester fixes his eligibility issues

You mean Brown? Not heard anything about eligibility with him either? As for Maker i do believe coming second semester fixes his eligibility issues

You are right. It is Brown. I have heard he is going to be playing over seas more likely than college. If you think the NCAA will go along with the plan of Makers to only play one semester, not take any classes like he has stated, and then go pro, you are mistaken. Not sure how they will stop him but they will do something like drag their feet once he applies so hes not eligible till the first of April

Pretty sure if Maker comes for one semester he will have to be here for another year. Unless u mean not take any HS classes. I'm sure he is finishing up any loose ends to play. So not sure how that works. I know that the size 20 stretching novice had to play the second season before going pro. I haven t heard from one person that Brown goes to Europe. That was the rumor on Maker who has squashed that. The story on Brown was it would be hard to get him from out west but if he was to commit here eligibility isn't an issue best I can tell. It is interesting he is still waiting

Again, he'll play. This is only the 25th thread over this exact topic.
There's literally zero reasons why he wouldn't be eligible.

Would agree that he will/should play but the counter is with how kanters parents handled the money for Enes, he should have been eligible as well and we know how that turned out.

Fact is that Emmert and the NCAA were run through the ringer for their decision on Kanter and their obvious bias against UK when they cleared other players in similar cases to play. The NCAA is already on EXTREMELY shaky ground considering previous suspect decisions and their almost refusal to implicate UNC in anything regarding the academic fraud which is obvious has been going on for a decade or more.

My guess is that we see Skal have to sit out a couple of games (there's not money "paid to play" involved and no question of amateurism vs. professionalism like in Kanter's case), but he may likely miss no games. It will all depend, but he will be eligible. I trust Cal and Sandy Bell. Cal wouldn't have wasted his time if he thought for one minute that Skal wouldn't be eligible.

Something else to keep in mind is the money that the NCAA could possibly be losing if Skal does not play. As we all know, money is the most important thing to the NCAA and denying the favorite to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft and the current #1 player coming out of HS from playing may be turning their backs on millions of dollars in extra revenue, especially if Skal becomes a media sensation during the season (think about the John Wall situation).

No, my guess is that, if anything, Skal gets a slap on the wrist (although, from the sound of it, he didn't do anything wrong) and we'll see him playing at UK this season.

Would agree that he will/should play but the counter is with how kanters parents handled the money for Enes, he should have been eligible as well and we know how that turned out.

While they did handle the money for him (Due to him be underage), he knew that he and his parents were receiving money for playing basketball in that league.

You are right. It is Brown. I have heard he is going to be playing over seas more likely than college. If you think the NCAA will go along with the plan of Makers to only play one semester, not take any classes like he has stated, and then go pro, you are mistaken. Not sure how they will stop him but they will do something like drag their feet once he applies so hes not eligible till the first of April

Brown is out of Georgia. the fact is you really don't have any idea what you are talking about, but decided to post random info on kids you have no info on, even their names...? Thanks for sharing...

Reactions: Stonewall12
My guess is that we see Skal have to sit out a couple of games (there's not money "paid to play" involved and no question of amateurism vs. professionalism like in Kanter's case), but he may likely miss no games. It will all depend, but he will be eligible. I trust Cal and Sandy Bell. Cal wouldn't have wasted his time if he thought for one minute that Skal wouldn't be eligible.

Why would Skal have to sit for some games?

Why would Skal have to sit for some games?
I don't know the details of Skal's eligibility, but I read an article a couple months ago that said he would never play a day in college basketball.

As for trusting Cal and Sandy, I do too, but they were both here during the Kanter fiasco and wasted a lot of time on his case and he was still ruled ineligible. :(

Brown is out of Georgia. the fact is you really don't have any idea what you are talking about, but decided to post random info on kids you have no info on, even their names...? Thanks for sharing...

I have no inside connections. What I do know is what the national recruiting people are saying and they are saying Skal might have trouble. They are also saying Maker and Brown (sorry I got the wrong person when I first posted) will never play a day of college ball. I know Maker has said this is not true but what do you expect him to say?

I am not trying to create fear and I believe Skal should play but for all those saying he will be fine, they are guessing just as much as anyone. There are issues and I hope none are so big that he is not allowed to play.

I just called Emmert in Indianapolis and asked him what the issue is with Skal's eligibility. He said that he had been busy exonerating UNC, but they are working on something wild on Skal. J/K

I have no inside connections. What I do know is what the national recruiting people are saying and they are saying Skal might have trouble. They are also saying Maker and Brown (sorry I got the wrong person when I first posted) will never play a day of college ball. I know Maker has said this is not true but what do you expect him to say?

I am not trying to create fear and I believe Skal should play but for all those saying he will be fine, they are guessing just as much as anyone. There are issues and I hope none are so big that he is not allowed to play.

Kind of a weird post by you.

Not wanting Maker or Brown because they may choose to play overseas? There has not been any speculation of improprieties with these kids.

Maker may not be able to classify in time. Brown might be chasing money, but they are not necessarily bringing negative baggage.

Brown is not from CA. No idea who you are talking about there? You have acquired bits and pieces of info and have some of it obviously wrong, yet you post publicly you do not want UK to sign these kids because of your haphazard research...? I guess I just don't see your point.

I hope we sign both Brown and Maker, and even Murray. Skal is the only one under the NCAA microscope currently and it's not necessarily his fault.

Im concerned enough to worry a little bit about next year. Kids are picking other schools like there is no tomorrow all the while we have a short roster and while we wont promise playing time its pretty evident we have it available. Right now we are pinning our hopes on a guy that may or may not be able to even make it here and if he does we are still at the NCAA's mercy in Maker. A guy that has been widely accused of looking for a handout in Brown and Skal is already signed but could very likely ends up sitting a few games at a minimum and we all know if the NCAA has a chance to stick it to Calipari or UK they rarely miss that chance. In this case they can get both Cal and UK at the same time much like Kanter. So dont think they will go light on him because of the tragedy. I remember a kid from up the road back ten years or so ago that signed a contract in Russia at gunpoint. He was ruled a professional, cant remember his name but it happened (I remember he was not very good). The good news is we have enough talent already signed that we will be competitive. On the flip side were probably not looking at a cod lock Final 4 type team.

I dont think folks should be going crazy yet with sky is falling type scenarios but to be comfortable at this point is also a little too much in the other direction. This is looking like the least talented team Calipari will have had since his Memphis days. The last thing we need is to get to the regular season and find out one or two of our new guys is being flagged by the NCAA. The last time Cal had a kid flagged he played him anyway and it didnt turn out well for the school. I dont think UK will allow him to do that but in that case we are back to being shorthanded. At the end of the day the sky is falling stuff needs to stop but so does all the trust in Cal stuff as well. Both sides have reasons for feeling the way they do but neither direction (to an extreme) is good for the program and at the end of the day the program is all that really matters. Not Cal, or Skal or anyone else, only UK. We may as well not eat our own while hashing it out but talking a little sense to someone who finds themselves to the extreme on either side might be needed. After all at the end of the day everyone has the same goal in mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT