ADVERTISEMENT

Be prepared

Ehhh, I disagree. Many of the players loved playing for Kentucky. Just because Cal isn't going to be the coach doesn't take that away.

I could not possibly care any less what the former players think. I don't follow the NBA closely, but as far as I know most if not all of them don't actively do anything for the university outside of maybe some tweets here and there. They came here for Cal and that's great, more power to them. Why should we stick with an underperforming coach to please former players that were only here for barely two semesters?

All of them should pick Cal over the university. I would hope we could keep some connection to those guys but they are Cal guys where the majority spent 9 months or less on campus.

Like someone else said, most aren’t involved with the program anyway.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Do they have any involvement now?
Some donated to the NIL fund, but I was talking about repping UK, etc. If Cal is fired or pushed out i'm sure they'll take that personal against the school.

''They're crazy, firing Cal, that's the goat''!

Ehhh, I disagree. Many of the players loved playing for Kentucky. Just because Cal isn't going to be the coach doesn't take that away.
It does, actually. They played here 1 year, for Cal, because most blue chip recruits commit to a coach not a school.

Guys like Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson, Dom Hawkins, Reed Sheppard, Josh Harrellson, etc will be exceptions, but most UK greats in the NBA will disown UK to some extent until and if UK and Cal can mend their relationship like Knight and IU eventually did.

It’s okay though, because what we have now cannot continue, even if it means Cousins, SGA, Wall, Davis, etc are mad at us for a while.

For all of Cal's former players to pick him over this university. I look for them to not be involved in UK any further or have any ties to the school once he's gone. It sucks, but it's a byproduct of his mercenary program.
UK fans for the most part hated Pitino and got really rude and low class about it. his players from the 90's still loved UK....... some even were lesser assistant roles here under cal like padgett and turner, mercer etc. Jeff has his son playing at UK,

UK players under Cal, even they know what is going on is unacceptable , matter of fact, if you dont think they are frustrated , donating so much to la familia for 23-10 and 1st game flame outs in both tournaments........ then i guess you think people love throwing money away for someone to ruin it.

It does, actually. They played here 1 year, for Cal, because most blue chip recruits commit to a coach not a school.

Guys like Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson, Dom Hawkins, Reed Sheppard, Josh Harrellson, etc will be exceptions, but most UK greats in the NBA will disown UK to some extent until and if UK and Cal can mend their relationship like Knight and IU eventually did.

It’s okay though, because what we have now cannot continue, even if it means Cousins, SGA, Wall, Davis, etc are mad at us for a while.
This guy gets it.

For all of Cal's former players to pick him over this university. I look for them to not be involved in UK any further or have any ties to the school once he's gone. It sucks, but it's a byproduct of his mercenary program.
Most of them didn’t care about UK or play for UK. Like their coach they played for the draft. It Cal were a decent man he would resign from coaching and either stay on in an advisory capacity or retire. My gut feeling is he will try to burn it down before he leaves. UK basketball will recover.

Reactions: catzcan
Maybe that says a lot about not having enough heart to beat Oakland

Reactions: Catfan2226
15 years of Cal and people still don't understand this. 95% of the recruits that came here did it for Cal and not UK. They may have loved it while they were here, but they were going wherever Cal was.
I do get it. That's why I started this thread. They stayed here for one year, played under Cal, say Cal got them rich, they're going to pissed at us when he leaves. Is what I'm trying to say.

15 years of Cal and people still don't understand this. 95% of the recruits that came here did it for Cal and not UK. They may have loved it while they were here, but they were going wherever Cal was.
And they will do so for the next coach. You act like UK didn’t have 7 championships before Cal lmao

Reactions: catzcan and blubo
And they will do so for the next coach. You act like UK didn’t have 7 championships before Cal lmao
All but 1 of those was 25+ years ago. Times have changed a lot since the only thing you needed for success was being at a blue blood. That maybe have worked decades ago but it doesn't work now. The next coach needs to be a slam dunk.

The reason this program has its last 3 titles is because they had elite coaches at the time. Tubby took what Pitino left him and slowly faded into irrelevancy, being at a blue blood be damned.

We went a decade between Tubby's title and when Cal was hired without a Final Four because the coaches just weren't that good. Being a blue blood program did jack for us. We're in another decade without a Final Four because the coach is the problem, being a blue blood program isn't doing anything for us.

Blue bloods are only as good as their coaches.

That's fine. I doubt any large connection to the state and University can be made in the 6 months they were here anyway.

These guys did more for UK basketball than anyone in this thread. Understandably they are going to have mixed emotions if he goes. Throwing them under the bus for being human is stupid

My understanding I may be wrong incoming class or current players can't leave until the University grants it so they will at least have to talk to the incoming coach

maybe not as many of the one and done’rs. some of cal’s players never spent even one whole year at uk. i just don’t think many of them feel the connection as players who spent 3-4 years. jmdo

Reactions: mailman85
I think a lot of that depends on how Cal handles the split, if it happens.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Do they donate or give to NIL??? He’s changed so many lives that he loves to tell us all the time then why don’t they give back some??? Or do they? Idk, just asking.

Oakland and st Peter’s has 10 times less the money. They both ousted us. Those who want to beat feet, well see ya

Reactions: cathead64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT