ADVERTISEMENT

Kingsley or Bradshaw if you had a choice

Not sure how it will end up but UK should have a very, very deep backcourt next year and the interior could be as well.
I'm hoping our core looks like this:

G - Dillingham, Wagner, Sheppard, Frederick.
G/F - Thiero, Reeves, Edwards.
F/C - Collins
C - Kingsley, Ware

If that happens, we just need to add one more stretch 4 and maybe one more big, depending on how much Kingsley develops.

I'd love to get another year out of Reeves for leadership.

F/C - Collins
C - Kingsley, Ware

If that happens, we just need to add one more stretch 4 and maybe one more big, depending on how much Kingsley develops.

Edwards will prob play the 4 at UK, especially with the guards that are being stacked up for next year. Either way they are gonna need another PF, not sure we get another year of Collins.

Edwards will prob play the 4 at UK, especially with the guards that are being stacked up for next year. Either way they are gonna need another PF, not sure we get another year of Collins.
Collins is going to have a hard time making the jump that he's expecting. He's just so weak, and I'm not sure one offseason will change that. I see his ceiling this year at around 9 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks off the bench. I'm not sure that translates to a post-sophomore year departure, and if it doesn't, I hope he's mature enough to keep at it for a third year at Kentucky.

Collins is going to have a hard time making the jump that he's expecting. He's just so weak, and I'm not sure one offseason will change that. I see his ceiling this year at around 9 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks off the bench. I'm not sure that translates to a post-sophomore year departure, and if it doesn't, I hope he's mature enough to keep at it for a third year at Kentucky.
Yeah...I agree on Collins just isn't likely to pop on NBA draft boards.

- In the open practice...you can see Collins is way more confident and will take open shots from out to 3pt line. And he's got some touch shooting the ball.
- However, he was guarded by Brennan Canada and was no blowing by him, or able to take him to the rim due to strength and Collin still ins't a strong ball handler.
- Collins is still not strong enough body wise...he bounces around like a pinball in the paint going for rebounds, etc...

So i see Collins being like Keon Brooks....good face up...probably a bit better 3pt shooter. But not a good rebounder, struggle to take guys off the dribble and he'll need more time to mature body and his skill level. For as long and jumping jack as he is....Collins doesn't block many shots as rim protector. He should be back at UK for 3rd year as hte PF spot is wide open for playing time going into 2023 year.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Yeah...I agree on Collins just isn't likely to pop on NBA draft boards.

- In the open practice...you can see Collins is way more confident and will take open shots from out to 3pt line. And he's got some touch shooting the ball.
- However, he was guarded by Brennan Canada and was no blowing by him, or able to take him to the rim due to strength and Collin still ins't a strong ball handler.
- Collins is still not strong enough body wise...he bounces around like a pinball in the paint going for rebounds, etc...

So i see Collins being like Keon Brooks....good face up...probably a bit better 3pt shooter. But not a good rebounder, struggle to take guys off the dribble and he'll need more time to mature body and his skill level. For as long and jumping jack as he is....Collins doesn't block many shots as rim protector. He should be back at UK for 3rd year as hte PF spot is wide open for playing time going into 2023 year.
Kingsley and Collins as our starting front court in '23-24.

Kids-Title-Slide-Block-Party.jpg

Edwards is more guard than forward with his skill set. He is more of a 2/3 than a 3/4. He is not real muscular either. Unless he bulks up a bunch, I don’t see him at the 4 for us, especially if Collins returns.

Like SoS said above, If Collins returns for year 3, then he is likely our starting 4. Cal will probably add a transfer to back him up.

F/C - Collins
C - Kingsley, Ware

That’s how I see it working out as well. Way to early to tell, but that seems to be the direction Cal is planning on heading.

Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, Collins, and UKO starting and Sheppard, Fredrick, Reeves, Thiero, and Ware off the bench. Add in a transfer or two (another PF at least) and we will have another contender.

F/C - Collins
C - Kingsley, Ware

The only way I see UK getting Bradshaw is in this scenario. And that stretch 4 would be him. I’ve heard good things about Bradshaw’s outside shot and those two could be a defensive twin towers without clogging the paint on offense.

That is, of course, if Bradshaw really doesn’t want to play with his high school teammate (he might’ve just wanted to get recruited harder by other schools to get more visits). Because if they really don’t want to play together then Cal will prioritize DJ and I think that’s the right call because a second year Kingsley (who battled against Oscar and Toppin everyday for a year) will be a beast.

Not to mention a junior Collins. Dude could be a beast of a stretch 4 and he and Kingsley could be our best defensive front court since 14-15.

Branham said we "gained traction" with Bradshaw again in the article above. We also got another futurecast yesterday for him and Wagner from the same insider.

Reactions: westerncat
Kingsley is a complete project on offense. People should adjust their expectations accordingly. Bradshaw is light-years ahead on offense.

F/C - Collins
C - Kingsley, Ware

Will Reeves be eligible for another year?

Kingsley is a complete project on offense. People should adjust their expectations accordingly. Bradshaw is light-years ahead on offense.
A year with Antigua will really help UKO.

I think Sophomore UKO will be fine.

I don’t expect him to put up Tshiebwe type scoring numbers, though. That will never happen. It doesn’t need to with the talent he will have around him.

Ugo couldn't get in over Ware last season but will turn into AD next season.
Literally no one said he would turn into Anthony Davis or anything close to it. Why are you always so dishonest? LOL at acting like players can’t improve, dude reclassified and enrolled a year early and you think he’s gonna remain the same player? The only thing that will remain is how clueless you are.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Literally no one said he would turn into Anthony Davis or anything close to it. Why are you always so dishonest? LOL at acting like players can’t improve, dude reclassified and enrolled a year early and you think he’s gonna remain the same player? The only thing that will remain is how clueless you are.
Sure lead belly/

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I'm just glad Cal played him enough last season to prepare him for a starting role this season.Oh well.

Reactions: TM2013
Sure lead belly/
When they can’t defend their ignorance, they try to deflect by calling you another poster every single time. I feel like it would be easier to not make moronic posts that you can’t defend instead having to deflect when called on it. Ugo can and likely will see great improvement from what should have been his HS senior year.

When they can’t defend their ignorance, they try to deflect by calling you another poster every single time. I feel like it would be easier to not make moronic posts that you can’t defend instead having to deflect when called on it. Ugo can and likely will see great improvement from what should have been his HS senior year.
Because Cal prepared him so well last season with hardly any playing time?

Because Cal prepared him so well last season with hardly any playing time?
Well no, Cal didn’t prepare him last year. I’m not sure what that has to do with him improving this year? You think because Cal messed up last year that it’s not possible for him to improve this year? Where do y’all get this stuff from?

Ugo couldn't get in over Ware last season but will turn into AD next season.
Had nothing to do with performance. UKO outperformed (by a lot) Ware in Nov when Oscar was out or limited. But Cal was loyal to the JR Ware.

And no one thinks UKO will turn into AD. But he can be a good (say a 5-6 on a 10 pt scale) C/5, providing something we've not had since 2020 (Richards), something that all of Cal's best teams have had.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Had nothing to do with performance. UKO outperformed (by a lot) Ware in Nov when Oscar was out or limited. But Cal was loyal to the JR Ware.

And no one thinks UKO will turn into AD. But he can be a good (say a 5-6 on a 10 pt scale) C/5, providing something we've not had since 2020 (Richards), something that all of Cal's best teams have had.
But is he ready to be a starter on this years team?That's the question and the starters around him are all freshmen so the pressure is on.

I am hopeful Ugo has improved its just hard to expect it since most players dont under Cal.
Let's look at your statement factually (over the past 6 years).
First have to narrow down to multi-year players to evaluate if they did improve under Cal or not.

Oscar - no, but not really reasonable to expect significant improvement over NPOY
Toppin - yes some, but not significant improvement
Ware - no
Wheeler - no, but many thing he was already at his ceiling
Collins - no, but we don't know what would have been different had his dad not died at season start (skinny kid loses 20 lbs, clearly affected him)
Mintz - no, but was probably already at his ceiling coming in for 4th & 5th years
Brooks - yes some, but not significant improvement
Allen - no, he got worse
Hagans - no
Quickley - yes, significantly better
Richards - yes, significantly better but it took 3 seasons instead of 2
Montgomery - no
PJ W - yes
Gabriel - no
SKJ - no

Mixed results. Supporters would point to Quickly, Richards, and PJ. But there are more players that support your theory.

It's obvious he's not ready to be a starter right now but Cal has screwed the pooch in the portal so he will have to be.If Oscar leaves it's going to be rough.
I disagree with that statement. How is he obviously not ready, but he FR are obviously ready?
I think he will be better than Bradshaw this year. Now that is a statement on BOTH of them, as I think Bradshaw is just too weak to go against SEC 4's or 5's.

Prediction:
UKO - 8ppg, 8rpg, 2.5blk (B+ on Def)
Bradshaw - 9ppg, 6rpg, 1.5blk (B- on Def)

I disagree with that statement. How is he obviously not ready, but he FR are obviously ready?
I think he will be better than Bradshaw this year. Now that is a statement on BOTH of them, as I think Bradshaw is just too weak to go against SEC 4's or 5's.

Prediction:
UKO - 8ppg, 8rpg, 2.5blk (B+ on Def)
Bradshaw - 9ppg, 6rpg, 1.5blk (B- on Def)
A total of 17 points from the 4 and 5 positions is a depressing thought for next sreason.

A total of 17 points from the 4 and 5 positions is a depressing thought for next sreason.
I still have nightmares about the 2017 season where we got 17 points a game out of Bam and Wenyen. Looks like we’re gonna be stuck relying on scoring from our elite backcourt again. Ugh!

The point is it could go either way but you have already declared RD and DW an elite backcourt without ever seeing them play against college comp.
So do you think it’s more likely or less likely that they will be elite with all the info you know about them? I’m mean you’re free to be a glass half empty kinda guy, I just disagree based on what I have seen from them and their consensus status of being elite recruits.

So do you this more likely than less likely that they will be elite with all the info you know about them? I’m mean you’re free to be a glass half empty kinda guy, I just disagree based on what I have seen from them and their consensus status of being elite recruits.
I think DJ will be a stud but I have questions about Dillingham.

I think Wagner and Edwards will be studs.

I think Bradshaw will be solid.

I think Dillingham will struggle a bit, but will be solid by the end of the season.

I think Sheppard will surprise people, if he is given a chance, which probably depends on who comes back and who Cal brings in.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I still have nightmares about the 2017 season where we got 17 points a game out of Bam and Wenyen. Looks like we’re gonna be stuck relying on scoring from our elite backcourt again. Ugh!
Our PF/4-C/5 spots won't be our offensive strength, UNLESS we add/return someone really good who doesn't like his draft prospects. But they won't hurt us there like Ware, or Montgomery or Lee.
Edwards I think will be a STUD. Wagner will be quite good, Dillingham will have his moments. But we MUST add a shooter/scorer to the guards we have, AND we really do need a 4/5 guy (those 2 can't go 40mpg) or two.

BTW, it was more Bam & Willis than Bam & Gabriel. Willis played 4.2 more mpg than did Gabriel. But between the 2 of them, in just under 40mpg, they averaged 11.6pts, 10.2reb. I think Bam could have scored more (13.0), but we didn't ask him to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT