ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Wildcats Basketball: Is a 3-Point Guard Lineup Coming?

Exactly. Anyone who has played basketball can tell that goal is not set at regulation height. Although the article suggest otherwise, it was written simply to quiet the nagging question of "Can Tyler dunk?"

Everyone keeps talking about this 3 guard lineup but Cal has not said a single thing that makes me believe that this is the way he will go. He said we may go with a 3 guard lineup sometimes but that's hardly an endorsement for what kind of team we will see. The way things are going right now, and I say that because we all know things can change and Murray isn't even on campus yet, I think we will see Ulis, Murray, Mulder, Poythress, and Skal. That's what I think he is leaning towards at the moment but that's just my opinion. I think he wants to get the ball in Murray's hands as much as possible and that means keeping him at the 1 or 2 spot. That's just what I gather from his comments.
Everyone talks about running the DDMO more with Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray but I wonder how effective Ulis would be in that offense. Getting to the rack and attacking the rim is not his best skill set. I would think having Briscoe, Murray, and Mulder running those spots would be better than having Ulis in there with Briscoe and Murray. Especially with the talk about Mulder being much better and much more athletic than first thought. I'm not going to underestimate Ulis though, he has made a career out of proving people wrong and he may run it like a champ by the time the season starts.
It will be interesting to see what Cal does with this team and how he decides to play. You hear him every year talk about trying to figure out "who we are" and "how are we going to play" and I imagine this year with be a little bit more difficult to decide given the versatility of the players.

he said that prior to Murray committing correct? pay attention when practice starts he just might switch horses

He'll do whatever is best for the team.

My opinion, we see Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe together most of the time. Those guys will share ballhandling duties. Cal said he would use a lot of DDMO and also some pick and roll action. I expect late in the shot clock that the ball will be in Murray's hands most of the time. We will run some isolation plays with him.

I think we are going to be so good off the dribble penetration that teams will try to zone us. Hopefully, we shoot the ball well enough to make it hurt when they zone.

I am not worried about the offense much at all.

Defense is where I have most of my question marks.

I think we will be fine, though.

He'll do whatever is best for the team.

My opinion, we see Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe together most of the time. Those guys will share ballhandling duties. Cal said he would use a lot of DDMO and also some pick and roll action. I expect late in the shot clock that the ball will be in Murray's hands most of the time. We will run some isolation plays with him.

I think we are going to be so good off the dribble penetration that teams will try to zone us. Hopefully, we shoot the ball well enough to make it hurt when they zone.

I am not worried about the offense much at all.

Defense is where I have most of my question marks.

I think we will be fine, though.

Honest question here, where did Cal say we would run a lot of DDMO? I'm just curious because I didn't see it. I'm not doubting it, in fact I'm hoping for it. I just must have missed those comments.

Honest question here, where did Cal say we would run a lot of DDMO? I'm just curious because I didn't see it. I'm not doubting it, in fact I'm hoping for it. I just must have missed those comments.

Andy Katz podcast interview.

I listened to it the other day through CoachCal.com.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Ulis is NOT a lock to start at point guard, he will have to earn it in practice...after a few weeks of practice don't be surprised if Murray & Briscoe are the starting backcourt

Yes he is... most definitely a lock to start. Cal has said as much.

My only concern with Tyler is his ongoing shin splints issues and that shouldn't be a problem with 3 very capable pg's to rotate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT