ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne

I would be fine with it, good guy and recruits love him. We also have an offense minded head coach and an analytics assistant already. Pope seems to want a well rounded staff.
Recruits didn't love him too much at ul. That is why he lost so many games

Reactions: KFuqua
Is good with big guys. If we have quality big guys we need him. He's a big guy recruiter. He shd never got into main coaching..
I got good memories of Kenny. He is BLUE imo.
Most of all he's familiar with all the players and everything that's going on

Reactions: 9timeChampion
Seems weird but if he can still be effective recruiting then that is fine.

I don't care about the "clean break" stuff at all just if you can contribute.

My concern is the latter rather than anything else.

Reactions: 9timeChampion
Maybe it’s just pettiness on my part, but I don’t love the idea of anything associated with the Cal era.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Isn't a home run, but would be a solid addition. Recruiting is about relationships, and not a lot of dudes have the breadth of them in the game that Kenny does. He's definitely an elite assistant.

He's an experienced guy with a TON of industry connections and relationships. College, NBA, Nike, AAU, etc. There are a LOT of great assistants that just aren't good head coaches. He's also pretty good at managing personalities and egos to keep the locker room healthy.

Would be kinda weird though.

Isn't a home run, but would be a solid addition. Recruiting is about relationships, and not a lot of dudes have the breadth of them in the game that Kenny does. He's definitely an elite assistant.

He's an experienced guy with a TON of industry connections and relationships. College, NBA, Nike, AAU, etc. There are a LOT of great assistants that just aren't good head coaches. He's also pretty good at managing personalities and egos to keep the locker room healthy.

Would be kinda weird though.
Would be similar to our situation in the football program a decade ago when Joker Phillips was on Florida’s staff and went up against UK the next season after he was fired as the head coach here.

Reactions: WildcatNC
I'm not convinced that it helps Pope.

I have little faith in any of Calipari's recent assistants at this point.

I think he’s the assistant Matt Jones has been hinting about. Today on the show a caller asked about KP coming back and Matt said ask me tomorrow

• Sad
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I wouldn't have an issue with it. Pope will need help in recruiting. KP was just in way over his head at Louisville and had already admitted that he had to be talked into the job by former players. What happened there doesn't affect what happens here. And to anyone saying they want a clean break from Cal, I do understand that but at the same time Calipari isn't a disease that we must stay away from and if Kenny is sitting on the bench next season or we know he's out recruiting elite bigs, I'd hope that wouldn't trigger some in our fanbase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT