ADVERTISEMENT

From a BYU fan

kats23

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2007
Louisville, Ky
I work with a guy who went to BYU and is a big basketball fan. We were discussing the Pope hire this morning and he shared his thoughts. He hated that he lost Pope to us. He said he has a huge personality and great offense, and thinks he'll be able to recruit at a high level here. He brought up the restrictions he had at BYU when recruiting. He said they recruit the best Mormons and then fill it out with other guys who fit the mold of the Mormon religion but he can't go out and get anyone he wants.

He said last year they were not supposed to be good but surprised everyone. Still, 21-11 and fifth place in the conference is not acceptable here. Their defense was terrible too. He agreed with me this shouldn't have been our 2nd or 3rd call. But overall he thinks Pope is going to kill it here. I'm not in agreement there but I'm going to see what the roster looks like and give Pope a shot.

I work with a guy who went to BYU and is a big basketball fan. We were discussing the Pope hire this morning and he shared his thoughts. He hated that he lost Pope to us. He said he has a huge personality and great offense, and thinks he'll be able to recruit at a high level here. He brought up the restrictions he had at BYU when recruiting. He said they recruit the best Mormons and then fill it out with other guys who fit the mold of the Mormon religion but he can't go out and get anyone he wants.

He said last year they were not supposed to be good but surprised everyone. Still, 21-11 and fifth place in the conference is not acceptable here. Their defense was terrible too. He agreed with me this shouldn't have been our 2nd or 3rd call. But overall he thinks Pope is going to kill it here. I'm not in agreement there but I'm going to see what the roster looks like and give Pope a shot.
Well thanks so much for allowing Pope to have a shot..

• Love
Reactions: deep3
That’s why I laugh at anyone who tries and bring up popes recruiting numbers. Not sure any coach could go to BYU and start hauling in anywhere near to top classes with all the restrictions in place. To say there is a disadvantage there is an understatement,

They were 40th in adjusted defensive efficiency.. Kentucky was 211 with supposed better athletes and a better coach. Everyone is into their feelings on this. Do some research and you’ll see he is an incredibly talented coach with limitations because of the program he oversaw. I’m excited for the hire and grateful Cal is gone.

A Top 60 defense for a bunch of restricted Mormons is a pretty impressive defense, no?

I don't think the roadblocks at BYU are what the apologists claim they are or that school would not have two Elite Eights and five Sweet Sixteens in the books.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
When I see Mark Pope talk, I can’t help but see Dirk Nowitzki clean shaven with short hair.

Last edited:

Pope's the coach, I am all in.

I don't think the roadblocks at BYU are what the apologists claim they are or that school would not have two Elite Eights and five Sweet Sixteens in the books.
The roadblocks are real, however, there are also some advantages. Most of the Mormon Players go on a two year religious mission, which means the roster tends to be older and more mature. They draw from Mormon communities around the world. More so in football than basketball the population of Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa are 30 to 60% Mormon so they have an advantage recruiting there.

All I know is if we don't get behind him, we 100% will fail. BBN has to be all-in until Coach Pope has a chance to show what he can do.

Let's support him at least 2 years, get a real recruiting class in the books before the Fellowship of the Miserable starts gathering.

Negative posts of any kind should be ignored. This is not for twitter addicts.

Ignore

That’s why I laugh at anyone who tries and bring up popes recruiting numbers. Not sure any coach could go to BYU and start hauling in anywhere near to top classes with all the restrictions in place. To say there is a disadvantage there is an understatement,
2 year mission trip, no sex, drinking, smoking, what 18 year old wouldn't want to go there? 😂

The roadblocks are real, however, there are also some advantages. Most of the Mormon Players go on a two year religious mission, which means the roster tends to be older and more mature. They draw from Mormon communities around the world. More so in football than basketball the population of Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa are 30 to 60% Mormon so they have an advantage recruiting there.
Yeah I didn't even know about that contract their recruits have to sign when I wrote that. That was in my 14 hours of freakout. Pope is absolutely crushing it so far. So glad my three-weeks-ago self didn't have the final say in that hire.

Thanks for sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT