ADVERTISEMENT

Just a poorly put together, terribly coached team

Someone will come along and say that Calipari can't play the game the players have to...but HE's the guy that built this bunch. This season was an EPIC FAILURE.
I have said this for months. Lots of reasons why this season is a complete embarrassment and failure... ultimately Cal put it together. There should be no sunshine pumpers around for a while. Let’s hope Cal re-evaluates everything, I mean everything! No stone should go unturned from the most major details to the most minor detail.

Not that hard for us to be ready and playing in 2 weeks .. you bench Askew about Dec 1st , you play Allen waaay more , and BINGO .. you dont suck .

Reactions: bluecoon1 and VA/UK
This team was made up of players first and position less players, that doesn't seem to be working and hasn't for a while. He has been sliding for a while, people talk about Tubby, Cals, last 5 years have been worse than Tubby. Something has to change before next year, staff wise or him, he needs to know it.

A couple of slashing athletes that are great defenders are good to have on any basketball team. You cannot make up the entire squad of these players. Skills need to move to the top line not how long your arms are. Basketball players will advance and athletes will go home.

Last edited:
Lol...in the last 5 years, he has won 80% of his games. Not one of these negative Nancy's have provided a single coach who has won more than him. Just a bunch a trolls trying to stir up us true fans....
Within that 80% how many games were against teams who ultimately made the tournament?
Hope you enjoy your March. That's twice. 3x if you count last season. Either 18% or 25% chance we don't go dancing under Cal.

Wow. Is this true? Record wise?
And....I would imagine that Tubby's schedule (and I was no fan of Tubby) had to be more difficult that what we play now, especially OOC.

it isn’t true. They lumped everything together so you don’t see the actual facts.

Let us not forget: Cade Cunningham committed on his visit in the fall of 2019–this alone would have dramatically altered this season had he not gone to OSU.

But, this does not excuse Cal and what else he did have full control of.

He played Devin Askew too much and relied too heavily upon him this season. This was not the intention when they recruited him, but nonetheless, it happened. He waited far too long before he moved Davion to the “one” and made him the primary ball-handler. I suspect much of this may have played into not only his belief that Devin would improve, but also the mere fact that fringe players such as Devin have left after a single season because they didn’t play the minutes they expected.

He didn’t modernize the offense and develop a offensive game plan that complimented the players and style that best suited them. He made this claim all last summer, and we didn’t see a single glimpse of it until the end of the season.

He made the same mistake with Sarr that he did with Skal: he tried to utilize him as a back-to-the-basket player, instead of taking advantage of his ability in the face-up game.

He placed too much stock in athleticism over skill and shooting. We have long known this, but he held on far too long and allowed the game to completely pass him.

And, he routinely digressed by falling back to lineups that did not mesh simply because he was convinced that it would eventually work itself out

And, ultimately, multiple players simply did not play to the level they should have, and were far too underwhelming.

All of it does not fall on Cal, but there is a lot he did not do that he should have.

It is unfortunate, but a season like this was going to happen, and more importantly, it needed to happen for us to have another chance at winning a National Championship under Calipari.

Cal will retire here, but if he is going to replicate the success that he has had during the first-half of his tenure, then it is time that he completely re-evaluates his own philosophy.

He can do it. But, will his stubbornness prevent growth? I sure hope not.

Cal loves to win, and losing is one thing he hates the most. So, I have my faith we’ll see him evolve, but it has to happen this upcoming offseason.

I have come to the opinion that Cal can only win when he has the superior talent that can score even in his crappy offensive sets.
There are literally no offensive sets. It's somebody make a play and beat your man off the dribble. Our guys couldn't do that this year, hence the offense being offensive. Our scouting has been very poor the last several years.

Reactions: jwphelps and thepip
Not robots, these kids never gave up fighting, these just continually get their azzes kicked, like cool hand Luke, kept fighting back, kept getting beat back down.
I’m not faulting the players one bit . They were put in a TERRIBLE position.

Lol...in the last 5 years, he has won 80% of his games. Not one of these negative Nancy's have provided a single coach who has won more than him. Just a bunch a trolls trying to stir up us true fans....
And the first calsucker shows his face .

A team made up of "positionless" players requires those players to be ultra talented to be successful and execute the dribble-drive. This groups does not meet those requirements. IMHO.
Not an attack on you, but I’ve been following basketball for over 45 years and there’s not a term I hate more than “dribble-drive”. Sorry, just tweaks a nerve and increases my disrespect for Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT