ADVERTISEMENT

Johnell Davis twitter buzz

The same Cal who moved in silence for Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, Paolo Banchero and a bunch of other guys he whiffed on?

His coaches are abandoning him. Welch left for a crappier position because he doesn't want to be around Cal anymore. Antigua rejected following Cal to Arkansas. Jai Lucas obviously already abandoned him a few seasons ago.

And no, Cal won't be able to implement that offense without Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves. He'll go back to downhill driving lane basketball.

You're giving Cal way too much credit here.
I hope you’re right.

He did just have, on-paper, a top 5 recruiting class of all time last year. Moved pretty well there.

I hope you’re right.

He did just have, on-paper, a top 5 recruiting class of all time last year. Moved pretty well there.
Of all time? Maybe only from a ranking perspective.

Would you really take last year's UK class over the Fab 5, 1972 Indiana, any of Wooden's best classes, 2009 Kentucky, 1988 Georgetown, 1989 Indiana, 2004 Florida, 1999 Duke, 2011 Kentucky, etc.?

There's probably 30 recruiting groups that were better than last year's UK recruiting class from a practical level. They didn't even win a tournament game in the SEC of the NCAA.

Thats probably true cal would prioritize his freshman way more than a portal guy. Him losing any of his talent moving to arkansas would show his momentum in recruiting which he doesnt want.
The same Cal who moved in silence for Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, Paolo Banchero and a bunch of other guys he whiffed on?

His coaches are abandoning him. Welch left for a crappier position because he doesn't want to be around Cal anymore. Antigua rejected following Cal to Arkansas. Jai Lucas obviously already abandoned him a few seasons ago.

And no, Cal won't be able to implement that offense without Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves. He'll go back to downhill driving lane basketball.

You're giving Cal way too much credit here.
Welch was so u happy here he told cal he was leaving before the season ended. The best X and O guy on staff hated it here.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Yeah, but what Reddit is saying is that UM is apparently unreasonably picky about courses transferring. They probably didn’t accept a good chunk of his previous school, which sucks for the kid.

Apparently, UVA is the same way.
I don't think Michigan is being particularly picky. They don't want someone coming from another school, spending two semesters at Michigan, and getting an actual Michigan degree. They value their academics way too much for that. For that reason they'd require someone take 50% of their classes that count toward a degree at Michigan, and we all know Davis isn't sticking around another two years to do that.

If he had already graduated FAU this wouldn't be an issue for him.

Yeah, but what Reddit is saying is that UM is apparently unreasonably picky about courses transferring. They probably didn’t accept a good chunk of his previous school, which sucks for the kid.

Apparently, UVA is the same way.
UM doesnt like ppl transferring in late in undergrad and getting a degree bc of their academic prestige its why fresh-soph credits work and jr-sr credits dont. They dont want community college kids, or any others, transferring in senior year and getting a UM degree

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Of all time? Maybe only from a ranking perspective.

Would you really take last year's UK class over the Fab 5, 1972 Indiana, any of Wooden's best classes, 2009 Kentucky, 1988 Georgetown, 1989 Indiana, 2004 Florida, 1999 Duke, 2011 Kentucky, etc.?

There's probably 30 recruiting groups that were better than last year's UK recruiting class from a practical level. They didn't even win a tournament game in the SEC of the NCAA.
I should have been more clear. I certainly meant on paper given how they turned out.

My point was that when he was recruiting them, they were all highly, highly ranked.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Hope we don't blow our wad on him. Make him a strong ass offer if he don't want it move on. Plenty of other really good players available. Don't want to get in a bidding war and overpay for one guy.
Obviously we can’t at this stage, we need a whole team. We have to be a little picky with how we spend.

Reactions: permdaddy
Thats probably true cal would prioritize his freshman way more than a portal guy. Him losing any of his talent moving to arkansas would show his momentum in recruiting which he doesnt want.

Welch was so u happy here he told cal he was leaving before the season ended. The best X and O guy on staff hated it here.
Do you know if he didn't like Lexington, or was it Cal or???

Reactions: Fox2monk
You get Davis to go alongside Williams, and you've got two guys who could have easily suited up for those late-90s Cincinnati teams.

Both guys are killers and play fearless. This is a big moment for Pope. Land this kid and you've got your on-court leader for year one.

Haven't you heard? Flagg is the second coming of Michael Jordan.
Flagg will be good but in the end a little too raw and young to carry them. Now if the rest of the team is as good I could see an elite 8/final 4 run if they have a good draw but we all know how hard it is to rely on Freshman and they have 6 coming in and only 2 returnees. I’ve seen video showing Flagg’s flaws and he does has some.

Flagg will be good but in the end a little too raw and young to carry them. Now if the rest of the team is as good I could see an elite 8/final 4 run if they have a good draw but we all know how hard it is to rely on Freshman and they have 6 coming in and only 2 returnees. I’ve seen video showing Flagg’s flaws and he does has some.
I think they'll have good moments as a team throughout the year, but will ultimately fold early in March. Some of those guys may not pan out despite their high ratings, similar to us last season.

I can see the appeal of Arkansas for Davis. I heard Brad runs a mean offense.

And then Kal can draw up lob plays for him at end of game scenarios.

What can go wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: BassProCat
You get Davis to go alongside Williams, and you've got two guys who could have easily suited up for those late-90s Cincinnati teams.

Both guys are killers and play fearless. This is a big moment for Pope. Land this kid and you've got your on-court leader for year one.
I coach HS and we switch all screens, pretty much spots 1 thru 5 - - - which is basically what FAU did, they switched all screens/cuts positions 1-4. So I've watched A LOT of FAU basketball these last couple years, just as a HS coach wanting to learn how teams are doing it at the next level

With that said, Johnell is an absolute stud. Dude delivers in big moments (aside from the pretty famous late-game blunder vs NW this year) and he's a leader. Doesn't shy away from anything. Experience on a Final 4 run. Returned for another season and handled all the pressure. Can score at all 3 levels. If he's available, go get him!

I’m sure he can continue the same offense.

Just feel Cal has something up his sleeve with how little roster movement they’ve had. This has Cal moving in silence written all over it. Hopefully not
I agree with you, very likely that Cal has a pre-meditated move up his sleeve, BUT....

I wonder if he's finding it a little more challenging to get guys to come to Arkansas compared to UK. I'm also wondering if some of his UK guys had more than enough of Cal last season and don't want to follow him to Arkansas. Not sour grapes, I assure you - just wondering if some of these guys are liking what they hear from other coaches now that they've entered the Portal or re-opened their recruiting

Welp so much for it being a Davis possible transfer to UK thread. Par for the course, the Cal haters absolutely took over an made it a Cal bitch fest. Cal is gone, LET IT GO. Might as well lock this one up, hardly any Davis discussion.

Welp so much for it being a Davis possible transfer to UK thread. Par for the course, the Cal haters absolutely took over a made it a Cal bitch fest. Cal is gone, LET IT GO. Might as well lock this one up, hardly any Davis discussion.
lol it’s reported to be between UK and Ark.

Pretty expected to talk about Cal in this situation since he’s our competition in the recruitment.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
No it has been reported it is down to HOUSTON and UK, not Arkansas, so Cal has nothing to do with the Davis stuff. But whatever, But I didn't see any post referencing Cal that talked recruiting, just the same ole "Cal sucks, yada, yada, yada."

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
No it has been reported it is down to HOUSTON and UK, not Arkansas, so Cal has nothing to do with the Davis stuff. But whatever, But I didn't see any post referencing Cal that talked recruiting, just the same ole "Cal sucks, yada, yada, yada."
Trilly said it's UK or Arkansas.

UM doesnt like ppl transferring in late in undergrad and getting a degree bc of their academic prestige its why fresh-soph credits work and jr-sr credits dont. They dont want community college kids, or any others, transferring in senior year and getting a UM degree
Illinois does this too. Not as strict though.

That's not true, I read a tweet in this thread about Arkansas and Houston being involved.

Trilly Donovan posted that it's between Kentucky and Arkansas. Houston was thrown out there to be used as leverage against UK. A teenage kid with media credentials actually put out the Houston and Kentucky claim first. I'm skeptical on most insiders, but Trilly is as creditable as you can get for an insider. He even said the kid was solid as an FAU insider.

Trilly Donovan posted that it's between Kentucky and Arkansas. Houston was thrown out there to be used as leverage against UK. A teenage kid with media credentials actually put out the Houston and Kentucky claim first. I'm skeptical on most insiders, but Trilly is as creditable as you can get for an insider. He even said the kid was solid as an FAU insider.
I can’t believe some people actually believe that a 13 year old is a solid insider. Some of you really do believe everything you read on the internet.

I can’t believe some people actually believe that a 13 year old is a solid insider. Some of you really do believe everything you read on the internet.
I didn't say I believed a thirteen year old. What I explicitly stated was the situation and what Trilly said about the situation. I even voiced my skepticism in most insiders. However, I do trust something when it's put out by Trilly Donovan.

Houston itself is one extremely large suburb. But yes, it sprawls a way larger geographical area than Lexington or Louisville and has many more people. It’s probably the least appealing city in the country to me but I’m glad you enjoy it.
Many years ago, beat reporters for some presidential election were asked their least favorite city. The front runners were the famed rust belt cities around the Great Lakes -- Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago. Houston "won" in a walk. It's apparently a crazy patchwork of a place -- little effective zoning -- with abominable heat and humidity and infamous You in a Heap a Trouble, Boy policing.

🤦🏻‍♂️

If great freshman can get a win, this Duke class is one to do it. It's like the Zion Williamson class a few years ago. Which didn't win, then despite the appearance of having a lock on the title. Having to actually play the games makes it interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT