ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Hart Hudl Clips

Lots of skills. Jump shooter and explosive. Indiana guy so he knows how to play. Solid build at 6 5. Moves without the ball so not ball dependent. Gets up as well

Love to get him! Another piece for a great core group of multi year players.

One question about this guy. His family. Is that his father that has some issues with alcohol? Perhaps son getting away from that would be helpful, but still close enough to home if he wants to go visit his parents.

When recruiting services expanded with social media I thought it would be dang near impossible to find under the radar talent.

However, if I've learned anything about recruiting rankings over the past decade, they depend too much on player appeal and bias. All too often, athleticism and ball dominate scorers lead the rankings but how a players game translates to college gets overlooked.

I think a lot of programs stopped doing their due diligence recruiting guys and started to rely too much on outside info. Just bc a guy ranks in the top 20 recruiting services doesn't mean he fits. Certain coaches become enamored with class ranking to the detriment of pursuing the right type of player.

When recruiting services expanded with social media I thought it would be dang near impossible to find under the radar talent.

However, if I've learned anything about recruiting rankings over the past decade, they depend too much on player appeal and bias. All too often, athleticism and ball dominate scorers lead the rankings but how a players game translates to college gets overlooked.

I think a lot of programs stopped doing their due diligence recruiting guys and started to rely too much on outside info. Just bc a guy ranks in the top 20 recruiting services doesn't mean he fits. Certain coaches become enamored with class ranking to the detriment of pursuing the right type of player.
A lot of times those athletic types aren't great ball handlers and struggle in college. This kid looks like the guards that played for Virginia and the 2g on the Purdue team that made the elite 8 in 2019 (Ryan Cline)

I agree, Purdue always gets guys like this. They rarely get a highly ranked kids but are always really good because they identify players who work for them. When they do get a player like Edey who pans out they are really good.

Lots of skills. Jump shooter and explosive. Indiana guy so he knows how to play. Solid build at 6 5. Moves without the ball so not ball dependent. Gets up as well

Love to get him! Another piece for a great core group of multi year players.
these are all good traits of a basketball player, but ccc only likes to play athletes. Moving with out the ball is only good in a set offense which produces open shots, which does not describe ccc's antique offense.

Their is a reason foreign players do well without the star ratings. They are all taught great fundamentals that sometimes do not show on highlight film. They aall thrive in team basketball.

One question about this guy. His family. Is that his father that has some issues with alcohol? Perhaps son getting away from that would be helpful, but still close enough to home if he wants to go visit his parents.
How do you even know this?

Even if true, I don’t think such a family issue should have any relevance to UK recruiting him.

I agree, Purdue always gets guys like this. They rarely get a highly ranked kids but are always really good because they identify players who work for them. When they do get a player like Edey who pans out they are really good.
And Purdue’s are nearly always in-state kids. Indiana’s always produced a lot of those types, under the radar kids who don’t get high star rankings yet still succeed at the next level.

This seems like a prospect well worth taking a shot on.

I like what I've seen of him too. Won't get much opportunity as a FR probably. But these are the kind of players that Cal has passed up that I think we've needed some of. Same for Theiro, but I think Cal may have passed on him too if not for the connection to his dad.

This is one of the oddest post i've seen on here, and totally out of left field

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT