ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Tipton asks Cal about confederate flag

coach cal's facebook is just getting hammered by the ignorant redneck crowd. disturbing really

Yeah, we have some dumb fans. I'm not sure why so many Kentucky fans are redneck Rebel flag lovers considering what the state did in the Civil War for the most part, but I digress.

Yeah, Tipton is a tool. Some things never change.

Yeah, we have some dumb fans. I'm not sure why so many Kentucky fans are redneck Rebel flag lovers considering what the state did in the Civil War for the most part, but I digress.

Yeah, Tipton is a tool. Some things never change.

And here we go. Thread derailed.

People can have an opinion on it without being "rednecks". There's nothing dumb about it.

Reactions: EliteBlue
And here we go. Thread derailed.

People can have an opinion on it without being "rednecks". There's nothing dumb about it.

Eh, the flag is what it is. It's a battle flag....of a rebellion that got crushed, and of a group that committed treason against the United States. I don't really care, or factor in the racial part of it, as that is irrelevant to me. I'm all for people being able to have this flag, Nazi Flags, Communist flags, etc, in their yards, on their vehicles, etc. I agree with Cal they should not be in the state building, but I'm also cool with them staying due to people voting on them to stay. I don't agree with a lot, but if it is voted on to be that way, I'm fine with it.

Reactions: San Diego Cat
Eh, the flag is what it is. It's a battle flag....of a rebellion that got crushed, and of a group that committed treason against the United States. I don't really care, or factor in the racial part of it, as that is irrelevant to me. I'm all for people being able to have this flag, Nazi Flags, Communist flags, etc, in their yards, on their vehicles, etc. I agree with Cal they should not be in the state building, but I'm also cool with them staying due to people voting on them to stay. I don't agree with a lot, but if it is voted on to be that way, I'm fine with it.

I get it, it's a fair position, but it's not a redneck position to support the freedom.

As far as your reasoning, I guess we are going to skip the part where the United States and the north implemented Jim Crow, which in some cases was as detrimental to the future of the African American population as slavery was. I know it's an eye roller, as is all should be, but the American flag stood as a sign of oppression for generations and generations to the slaves. Because the north was better at coning them in and spitting them out to gain ground, doesn't mean the American flag should be any less offensive if the civil war is the reasoning. This is a politicized issue, nothing more.

As far as Calipari giving a statement, we are now at the point in this country where it's OK to give the politically correct answer, even if it offends the majority, because the media will back the position. It's all about optics as the MM sees it, and the MM also defines it. I'm okay however with a guy from the northeast being opposed to the southern confederate flag.(again shocker)

Ima get out before the PC soldiers bring the guns (err "weapons") :gun::bomb:

Last edited:
Clearly many do not even have a clue what the history of the country is and who owned what and whom owned who. For example in the 1860 census their was 3000 black slave owners just in that city alone. In Virginia the largest slave owner was a black man who owned white and black slaves. Ya that's right white. Slavery was already going out in America and had been for decades. Their was many laws on what you couldn't and could do with a slave. Only the most barberic conditions which were found is written about and many more is just made up stories to demonize an "enemy" much like what we do to any country before we invade it and kill their leader.

White people were brought over here even more than Africans were and sold into slavery. Their conditions were much more barbaric than what the Africans had to face and theirs was horrible.

Victors write the history and will write in a way that justifies what they did. Slaves was an English system brought over here by the Dutch East India company which was Jewish owned. Only 5% of the African slaves even come to the United States. But yet only whites are demonized here in America for something they didn't do. Hispanics are not demonized at all. For centuries African tribes routinely captured slaves and sold them to whomever, They went on raiding parties as far north as Iceland and all over Europe grabbing up whites. The English crown grabbed up so many Scots that their population was cut down to just a few hundred thousand.

Just look up white slavery in America.

Divide and conquer and all you guys are falling for it hook line and sinker. We are all in the same boat together. We are going to the same spot our forefathers were and fought against this system of control and dominance and instilled the Constitution. We fought the War of 1812 again against the British as they were trying to take us over again. Look up how they tried again in the 1860's. They have never stopped.

It's just a lot of people who are disagreeing with his take on it. I read the first 50 or so respondes and didn't see anything out of line or offensive. I just saw a lot of people who disagree with a guy from the North East about the confederate flag. Shocker.
No need for people to jump on him on facebook for doing his best to aswer a question he shouldn't have been asked.

No need for people to jump on him on facebook for doing his best to aswer a question he shouldn't have been asked.

define "jumping on him" please.

Theres response after response of people just stating they don't agree and he should have evaded the question better.

Again, I have no issues with a northeastern guy not supporting the confederate flag. I also don't have an issue if someone has their reasons for supporting it.

As I said, this is a politicized issue now. But Cal knows he can answer PC questions with PC answers because it will be made a non issue. He probably thinks not answering it could have been interpreted wrong by a media that looks to misinterpret.

Tipton knew Cal would say take down the flag. He wasn't trying to throw Cal a softball to prove his cred with the African American basketball players. He was trying to make Cal give an answer Tipton believes would anger our redneck fannbase. That is how Tipton sees us. He wanted to use Cal to piss us off.

Reactions: Wildcat134
Some of those responses were very rude.Saying their is another team to root for in Kentucky and they now have no respect for Coach Cal.You think that is okay?

I would not trade Cal for anyone, but sometimes he needs to just say no comment! it had nothing to do with Ky basketball and it's a touchy subject with a lot of people.

Booker I never saw those. I read about 50 responses and saw nothing even negative really. If you are having to dig to find one then I'd say it's a non issue.

Tipton knew Cal would say take down the flag. Tipton wasn't trying to help Cal's cred in the African American community. He hoped to make Cal look bad with the redneck fan base he believes us to be. He tries his best to drive wedges...not realizing we know what he is doing. Troll.

Some of those responses were very rude.Saying their is another team to root for in Kentucky and they now have no respect for Coach Cal.You think that is okay?
Let them go root for Louisville if they feel that way.I don't know why people would go on his facebook page to disagree with him anyway.He gave an opinion when put in an awkward situation and never said everyone had to agree with him.Those people should get a grip and quit telling Cal what he should or shouldn't say.

Jerry doesn't have the writing skills or intelligence to write something that would engage or captivate readers . That's why he trolls or generates controversy , he's no different than some of the worst posters in this board . Lol at the Herald Leader for allowing their target audience to be alienated by sticking with him , I'd say his style has put a bunch of HL employees out of work from lack of sales .

So wouldn't you say the colonies in America committed treason against England?

Yes, they most certainly did. No one argues that fact. But we support America because we agree with the principals they asserted in the Declaration. The confederate states believed in people as chattel, as did other states, but the south went to war over it. Flying the flag is supporting those principals, just like the American flag supports our Principals. That doesn't mean our actions as a country are always right, but we work to correct them. Taking down the flag that was put up at the State House in South Carolina to opposed Brown v Board of Ed., is a step in trying to correct the action. No one says YOU can't fly any flag you want. The State of South Carolina . . . well that is another matter altogether.

Theres response after response of people just stating they don't agree and he should have evaded the question better.

Again, I have no issues with a northeastern guy not supporting the confederate flag. I also don't have an issue if someone has their reasons for supporting it.

As I said, this is a politicized issue now. But Cal knows he can answer PC questions with PC answers because it will be made a non issue. He probably thinks not answering it could have been interpreted wrong by a media that looks to misinterpret.

Saying that he answered to be politically correct, belittles him as a man and belittles his word. I think he said because he believes it, as all good Christians should.

So wouldn't you say the colonies in America committed treason against England?

Absolutely. England is not my country though, so of course that is going to be viewed differently. The Confederacy is not your country, or anyone who loves them some Confederate battle flag, either. We are all living in the USA, and thank God the wars turned out the way they did in the 1770s-1780s and in the 1860s.

Reactions: UK90
I wasn't agreeing with you, lol.

I think race baiting and division are the problem. We highly disagree.
You think race baiting and division are the problem. But you don't see how the Confederate flag, something that's been used as a symbol for white supremacist movements for over a century, could be seen as race baiting and (exceptionally) divisive.

Okey-doke. Way to be consistent.

Kuddos to Cal for giving his opinion and not ducking a question, however stupid it may be. Imo any American citizen that chooses to fly a flag of their choosing should be free to do so. If somebody wants to fly a nazi swastika, Isis flag, or rebel flag, they have the right as an American citizen to the freedom to look like a fool and offend fellow Americans. It is a form of freedom of speech. That said, those same flags have absolutely no place flying over government buildings that are meeting places for the government officials elected to represent all of us. Those flags, like the American flag, stand for ideas. If the ideas are offensive to large chunks of our fellow Americans, they should not be raised over government buildings. If you want to fly them on your house or private property, go right ahead but they have no place on public government buildings.

Hmmmm. Coach Cal coaches young black players. Black folks generally see that flag as racist. Cal doesn't support that flag. Seems like a great answer.

I don't think Tipton's question was too out of line. Sure, nobody really cares about a basketball coach's opinion on a subject that doesn't pertain to basketball, but it's the offseason and the confederate flag is a national issue.

Personally, as a 35 year-old white guy, I don't see the rebel flag as racist, per se, but I do equate it to rednecks. And that's not something to be proud of in my world.

Reactions: WeaverChainz
I am sure all the other beat writers asked the coach of the school they cover the same question.

Tipton is a turd, someday that trash rag of a newspaper might actually hire a UK beat writer that enjoys the program but it won't while tippy is there.

Honestly tiptoeing around that question would have made him look bad. Even evading the question could have been a bad move. Directly saying what he said, because he believes that people should not be offended by anything, was the correct answer for him.

Yes, they most certainly did. No one argues that fact. But we support America because we agree with the principals they asserted in the Declaration. The confederate states believed in people as chattel, as did other states, but the south went to war over it. Flying the flag is supporting those principals, just like the American flag supports our Principals. That doesn't mean our actions as a country are always right, but we work to correct them. Taking down the flag that was put up at the State House in South Carolina to opposed Brown v Board of Ed., is a step in trying to correct the action. No one says YOU can't fly any flag you want. The State of South Carolina . . . well that is another matter altogether.

It was a ridiculous question to ask, no doubt. But some of you need to actually understand that the South did not commit treason.
Each of the 13 original colonies were sovereign entities, still are.
The constitution was nothing more than a contract they signed forming a union to benefit all of them. And in that contract it was specifically worded that if the contract was broken that they could leave the union.
The south followed the contract as slavery no matter how awful we think it is today was legal at the time.
When the north broke the contract over and over South Carolina actually wrote an article for secession in 1852, you should read it, it's rather enlightening.

The north broke the agreement, the south got fed up with it and seceded. Actually 4 of the states didn't secede until am army was formed to march on the south for doing something the original colonies agreed to, seceding.

Kentucky didn't secede because they didn't feel it was about abolishing slavery. As it would've and did take an ammendment to do it, and there wasn't the required vote to pass it.

So yes the original colonies did commit treason, because they had no legal right to leave the British empire. The South had every right to secede as it was part of the deal, if the deal was broken, being the constitution.

Reactions: .S&C. and kybassfan
Kuddos to Cal for giving his opinion and not ducking a question, however stupid it may be. Imo any American citizen that chooses to fly a flag of their choosing should be free to do so. If somebody wants to fly a nazi swastika, Isis flag, or rebel flag, they have the right as an American citizen to the freedom to look like a fool and offend fellow Americans. It is a form of freedom of speech. That said, those same flags have absolutely no place flying over government buildings that are meeting places for the government officials elected to represent all of us. Those flags, like the American flag, stand for ideas. If the ideas are offensive to large chunks of our fellow Americans, they should not be raised over government buildings. If you want to fly them on your house or private property, go right ahead but they have no place on public government buildings.

AGREE 110%! I was SO offended by the White House displaying rainbow colors after the gay rights ruling by the Supreme Court. There was NO place for that on a government building. If someone wants to do it on their house, fine, but not on public property!

Reactions: .S&C. and treyforuk
You think race baiting and division are the problem. But you don't see how the Confederate flag, something that's been used as a symbol for white supremacist movements for over a century, could be seen as race baiting and (exceptionally) divisive.

Okey-doke. Way to be consistent.

I'm not taking a stance on that. People use all sorts of things to justify all sorts of things. It doesn't mean the collective community has to crap all over themselves to take on yet another cause. This started when that evil POS killed those innocent people and then the pictures surfaced of him standing near a Confederate flag. This is common on the left. Never let a tragedy go to waste. Politically exploit any situation for gain. Before they took on the flag issue, they made it about guns. Oh wait, can't do that, he didn't use a semi-automaitc rifle. Can't confuse people on semi-automatic weapons this time. Better go after the next best thing. It's hilarious at this point.

Some of us are just sick of the twisted divisiveness and want people to stop the madness. Race baiters take away from the real crisis and real issues. Chaos writes their checks, literally. That's why they incite more and more and more. This kind of crap is typical.

I would like for the media and everyone that expresses faux outrage toward racism to explain how many more kids need to die in places like Chicago before the real adults and real problem solvers step forward and handle real issues. Not this politically motivated activist bullshit.

You buy in, great. Put change on a T-shirt and take down a flag.

Solve absolutely nothing.

Okey doke.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Derington
Honestly tiptoeing around that question would have made him look bad. Even evading the question could have been a bad move. Directly saying what he said, because he believes that people should not be offended by anything, was the correct answer for him.

I agree. For Cal, theres nothing gained at all by supporting something like that.

It was a ridiculous question to ask, no doubt. But some of you need to actually understand that the South did not commit treason.
Each of the 13 original colonies were sovereign entities, still are.
The constitution was nothing more than a contract they signed forming a union to benefit all of them. And in that contract it was specifically worded that if the contract was broken that they could leave the union.
The south followed the contract as slavery no matter how awful we think it is today was legal at the time.
When the north broke the contract over and over South Carolina actually wrote an article for secession in 1852, you should read it, it's rather enlightening.

The north broke the agreement, the south got fed up with it and seceded. Actually 4 of the states didn't secede until am army was formed to march on the south for doing something the original colonies agreed to, seceding.

Kentucky didn't secede because they didn't feel it was about abolishing slavery. As it would've and did take an ammendment to do it, and there wasn't the required vote to pass it.

So yes the original colonies did commit treason, because they had no legal right to leave the British empire. The South had every right to secede as it was part of the deal, if the deal was broken, being the constitution.

You're making this about facts, no matter how accurate. You have to understand, this is America 2015. Revisionist history to fit an activist agenda with the intent to eradicate anything it disagrees with is the goal.

Reactions: kyboy1998
You're making this about facts, no matter how accurate. You have to understand, this is America 2015. Revisionist history to fit an activist agenda with the intent to eradicate anything it disagrees with is the goal.

Seemed like nazi Germany did something similar, only they just burned books to erase history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT