ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Tipton asks Cal about confederate flag

Didn't read it, but it was on MJ show. He asked him for his thoughts on the Confederate flag. Cal was flabbergasted as to why he would ask him and gave a harmless answer, and then Tipton followed up by asking if he supported taking it down. Cal asked if this was an issue in Kentucky and that he would leave those issues to the politicians. Tipton being Tipton.

You have to expect that from idiots like Tipton. Cal was thankfully to smart to take the bait on that. There is no reason for a basketball coach to need to dive head first into this mess. No matter what you're going to anger someone so best to stay out of it.

Tuck Fipton. Asked only to be inflammatory. Even though I believe Cal would support removing the flags, it was asked because no matter what he says, he'll be in trouble with one side or the other. Obviously he has to pick the side that won't destroy his relationship with his team and recruits and piss off a whole bunch of dumb redneck fans. I'm not looking to start that debate here, but I will say that it is an irrelevant, baiting, instigating, and wholly irresponsible question to ask at a basketball press conference. Tipton should be ashamed, but he lost that capacity many drinks ago...

Reactions: coolcat9lives
Coming from Tipton, you just know he was trying to trip Cal up and get him to say something controversial and take it out of context. You aren't going to get Coach Cal with that, he's been through that crap before and he won't let it happen again.

Smh.....Cal's views on the Confederate flag literally have nothing to do with Kentucky basketball in anyway. Tipton was hoping for a juicy sound bite.

Somebody answer this for me please...We all agree Tipton is terrible...why is he still employed???

Cloud PR News‏@cloudprnews 32m32 minutes ago
John Calipari Talks Next Year’s Team; Has Awkward Exchange with Jerry Tipton [URL='http://dlvr.it/BMZ31t[/QUOTE']http://dlvr.it/BMZ31t[/URL]

Cal handled it fine. As far as I know, it doesn't fly at public (and by that I mean government) facilities in the state. Cal did say it should come down from those facilities, though, as it is offensive to some citizens. No mention of anyone's personal preferences aside from government officials. No harm. Tipton is an ass, but we know that.

I am sure all the other beat writers asked the coach of the school they cover the same question.

when are that fools press credentials going to be pulled? UK just signed an impact player and had 6 kids drafted and he asks about a flag

Tipton now has his headline: "Calipari refuses to advocate removing the Confederate flag". What a douche.

Cal absolutely handled correctly such a ridiculous question.

Somebody answer this for me please...We all agree Tipton is terrible...why is he still employed???

Probably because the media (at the 10,000 mile view) sees itself as just the deliverer of news. Thus, whether you read for bad news or good news....you are still reading. I doubt the higher ups care whats going on at the journalist level. The internet made this worse since "hits" are also not measured as good or bad. The theory is, If you land on their site to read his vomit....you might read some other stuff (bounce rate).

What hurts Tipton the most is when nobody reads his articles online and people cancel their subscription and cite Tipton as why...short of those two things....the LHL could not care less even if he burned UK banners wearing a Pitino mask every night.

Funny, I was waking up this morning and thinking you know something that is just bothering the dickens out of me? What in the world does Cal think about a Confederate Flag? That concerns me, not sure about the rest of you. What my basketball coach thinks about a flag.

Reactions: BengalWACO and Jkwo
Well I think its fair to assume Cal would be against the confederate flag. Would be terrible PR move to say otherwise. Plus I think he genuinely would feel that way regardless.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Tipton is a joke through and through. Furthermore, what does anyone think Cal is going to say? Oh I fly one at my house? Really?

Reactions: Wildcat134
Just IMHO, but ANYONE who buys a GD copy or subscription to the Lexington Herald-Leader should be ashamed. I won't even read the GD thing until Tipton is out.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I think Cal should've just gone with the final part of his statement (not running for office/let powers that be decide) right from the start. Acknowledging the question with even a partial answer will only encourage Tipton to pull a few more of these out of his butt.

Cals a coach. Tipton is a sportswriter. That question has no business being asked. Period. Cal has his own views im sure. If hed wanted them known, he wouldve taken it upon himself to state them prior to this inane question.

Is there anyone worse than Tipton?

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I'll be glad when that braying old fool gets fired or retires. He's long overdue for being put out to pasture.

nnnyty.jpg

Reactions: Smashcat
You're gonna want to sit down for this.

After the 5th question from reporters on the state of the program, mr. Tipton.

"How do you feel about the candy skittles and how much the usage of the rainbow helped sway public opinion on the courts ruling this week?"

Cal - "don't know jerry.... I don't even eat skittles."

Jerry - "so you're against the ruling?"

Had to:flush::flush:

except for maybe one reply, everyone stayed on topic awesomely in this thread. Great Job.

Tipton has destroyed the paper as I have had more than 10 people I know cancel the paper citing tipton as the only reason. I was told in a phone conversation with someone who knows Tipton well that he has in fact cost many readers but they relate it to "fans". Not concerned customers.

I won't name names, but you can research Tiptons bosses and contact them directly. You will get the same conversation. You're a mad fan, he's doing his job. They can't fire him for that. yada yada. I kept correcting him, saying it's not "fans, it's "your customers".

They are going to let him ride until retirement. It's a shame because they've destroyed what was left of the paper.

Totally uncalled for and unprofessional. He's worse than Forde.

except for maybe one reply, everyone stayed on topic awesomely in this thread. Great Job.

Tipton has destroyed the paper as I have had more than 10 people I know cancel the paper citing tipton as the only reason. I was told in a phone conversation with someone who knows Tipton well that he has in fact cost many readers but they relate it to "fans". Not concerned customers.

I won't name names, but you can research Tiptons bosses and contact them directly. You will get the same conversation. You're a mad fan, he's doing his job. They can't fire him for that. yada yada. I kept correcting him, saying it's not "fans, it's "your customers".

They are going to let him ride until retirement. It's a shame because they've destroyed what was left of the paper.

Do you have their contact info? I'd like them to know they are loosing/ have lost myself as well as others as customers

coach cal's facebook is just getting hammered by the ignorant redneck crowd. disturbing really

It's just a lot of people who are disagreeing with his take on it. I read the first 50 or so respondes and didn't see anything out of line or offensive. I just saw a lot of people who disagree with a guy from the North East about the confederate flag. Shocker.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT