ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bruce sucks.......

bruce_jay_490.jpg

Hey, Walt ... sign Nelly to play RF.

My Dad played Center for Morehead when Phil Simms was the QB. They roomed together as well.

Wow, is there anything more boring than baseball talk...

Yep, he pretty much sucks.

He's got 1 more home run vs left-handed pitching this year than I do.

Can we get an update on the Suck-O-Meter?

Dude had a big 2 out bases loaded single to extend the win streak tonight. Finally kept his head down on the ball and muscled a blooper to the opposite field. Could this be the break out game that earns him some Hall votes?

Originally posted by Beavis606:
Bruce-O-Meter:

1-12. Awesome.

Not only is the worthless turd hitting .083, but his OBP is the same because the loser cant take a walk. 12 at-bats, 1 hit, 0 walks, 3K's, 0 RBI.

Jay Bruce is the stuff legends are made of.

Wasn't there a 3rd baseman a few years ago named Brandon Larson that played for the Reds that tore it up in AAA but couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag in the Majors? As I recall, he was a terrible fielder, also. But the Reds kept gving him many chances to succeed when anybody could see he wasn't Major League material.

It's still early in the season and sometimes it takes players several weeks to get going. But I got to admit that Bruce has been disappointing since his unbelievable start in the majors two years ago. I still remember the headline "Bruce Almight"!

Bruce has hit into some tough luck the past couple games. He's hitting the ball hard but right at the defenders.

Right now, Jay Bruce sucks. It's not debatable. As for the people against stats, WTF are you talking about. You do realize that stats are the result of production. When the stat says Albert Pujols hits 30 homers every season, THEY ARE CORRECT. When it says Jay Bruce can't hit lefties, GUESS WHAT. He HASN'T hit them. Now, that doesn't mean the stat will always be correct. Jay Bruce will get another hit off of a lefty and another one some time after that. If he ends up hitting 280 against lefties by the end of his career. You will be able to say he learned how to be successful against them because the statistics will have trended that way.

Jay Bruce is terrible and just because you can name every excuse in the book to support him it doesn't change the fact that he is doing nothing. As for the argument about him and Dunn, well, Dunn's production on the field speaks for itself, at least in the stats that matter offensively. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean Jay Bruce is the better player.

Originally posted by crawfords corner:
Right now, Jay Bruce sucks. It's not debatable. As for the people against stats, WTF are you talking about. You do realize that stats are the result of production. When the stat says Albert Pujols hits 30 homers every season, THEY ARE CORRECT. When it says Jay Bruce can't hit lefties, GUESS WHAT. He HASN'T hit them. Now, that doesn't mean the stat will always be correct. Jay Bruce will get another hit off of a lefty and another one some time after that. If he ends up hitting 280 against lefties by the end of his career. You will be able to say he learned how to be successful against them because the statistics will have trended that way.

Jay Bruce is terrible and just because you can name every excuse in the book to support him it doesn't change the fact that he is doing nothing. As for the argument about him and Dunn, well, Dunn's production on the field speaks for itself, at least in the stats that matter offensively. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean Jay Bruce is the better player.
Getting ready to post the same thing about Bruce vs. southpaws- he simply has no chance w/ a lefty who throws breaking balls away.

This thread is pretty gd funny, especially if you go all the way back to the beginning. Face it --> most of us (I know I'm included) were fooled when Baseball America named him the best prospect in the game. He essentially had a run of about 40 great games and AAA, and overnight became the next Willie Mays.

But actually *look* at his stats. At every level of professional ball, he's been a pretty underwhelming hitter (as far as "can't-miss prospects" are concerned). Can't hit lefties. Doesn't walk. Strikes out a ton. And add a lack of speed and fielding prowess on top of it all.

Originally posted by bigbluefattycat:
Ha Ha. Jay Bruce just doubled in his first at bat and gave double birds towards teammates in the dug out.
Good catch. I wasn't even paying attention the first time.

1000917wo.jpg

Nice Beavis. This thread should be fun again this season.

Bruce had 2 hits tonight and worked a walk off a tough lefty. Not saying that Bruce is an all-star, but if a couple of those rockets he has been hitting for the past 4 games had found grass he would be batting over 300.
This post was edited on 4/12 11:52 PM by Justin82

AVG OBP SLG OPS
.266 .341 .484 .825
.270 .331 .500 .831
.257 .358 .457 .815
.291 .355 .516 .871
.319 .375 .587 .962
.325 .379 .586 .965
.333 .405 .652 1.057
.305 .358 .567 .925
.364 .393 .630 1.023

Yeah, those minors numbers were terrible. Definitely an underwhelming hitter at every level.
rolleyes.gif

Lack of fielding prowess, seriously? Not to mention one of the better arms in the game?

Originally posted by podgejeff_:
AVG OBP SLG OPS
.266 .341 .484 .825
.270 .331 .500 .831
.257 .358 .457 .815
.291 .355 .516 .871
.319 .375 .587 .962
.325 .379 .586 .965
.333 .405 .652 1.057
.305 .358 .567 .925
.364 .393 .630 1.023

Yeah, those minors numbers were terrible. Definitely an underwhelming hitter at every level.
rolleyes.gif

Lack of fielding prowess, seriously? Not to mention one of the better arms in the game?

For the BEST PROSPECT IN ALL OF BASEBALL, those numbers are pretty underwhelming. At every level.

True story.

batting average = .304
on-base % = .425
walks = 230
ks = 270

This guy (Adam Dunn) was rated the #33 prospect in baseball. Feel free to make an argument that Jay Bruce put up *better* minor league stats. Good luck!!

(he was even MUCH better on the bases, too)

Jay Bruce (in the minors) --> 127 walks vs. 342 ks =
laugh.gif

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

Originally posted by podgejeff_:
AVG OBP SLG OPS
.266 .341 .484 .825
.270 .331 .500 .831
.257 .358 .457 .815
.291 .355 .516 .871
.319 .375 .587 .962
.325 .379 .586 .965
.333 .405 .652 1.057
.305 .358 .567 .925
.364 .393 .630 1.023

rolleyes.gif

For the BEST PROSPECT IN ALL OF BASEBALL, those numbers are pretty underwhelming. At every level.

True story.

batting average = .304
on-base % = .425
walks = 230
ks = 270

This guy (Adam Dunn) was rated the #33 prospect in baseball. Feel free to make an argument that Jay Bruce put up *better* minor league stats. Good luck!!

(he was even MUCH better on the bases, too)

Jay Bruce (in the minors) --> 127 walks vs. 342 ks =
laugh.gif

Dunn's defense and arm aren't even on the same planet as Bruce. Baserunning I'd say is a wash at best. And Adam Dunn doesn't suck, either.

Take a look at these numbers.

Jay Bruce
Year BABIP AVG OBP SLG OPS
2008 .296 .254 .314 .453 .767
2009 .221 .223 .303 .470 .773
2010 .231 .171 .237 .200 .437

Jay Bruce has yet to have a season where he's even been considered hit-lucky. In 2009 and so far in 2010 he's been ridiculously unlucky, considering the average BABIP is around 300. Jay's only been around that average once, in 2008, in his first outing in the majors. I understand that BABIP isn't the end-all of chance-based statistics but I'd assume that when you're called the minor league player of the year that most scouts and coaches think that your mechanics and skill are of sufficient level.

This year his LD% is at a ridiculous 31% clip, which is 10-15% higher than the average. If you've watched the games at all then you can see him rocket practically every other pitch directly at a defender. Even Thom Brennaman sees this and comments on it.

Jay Bruce is fine. The baseball gods just seem to hate him. Nobody ever said that Jay Bruce had amazing plate discipline, but what he does have is big-time power and the ability to put the barrel of the bat right on the ball. He's going to strike out, and he's never going to take walks like a leadoff-guy. He's the definition of a #4 hitter. Who plays very above-average defense in RF. If his numbers are still the same in June, then there's a cause for concern.

podge,
Bruce has 193 strikeouts, 188 hits and 74 walks for his mlb career. Those numbers are beyond terrible for anyone, let alone a player tabbed as a can't-miss phenom. Your take, like Bruce, sucks.

I didn't know what kind of monster player you expected out of a 22 year old, but your weak attempt at using counting stats for player evaluation invalidates nothing that I said. Those numbers mean nothing, especially considering he's played in all of 219 games. Not even a season and a half. If Jay Bruce hits for league average BABIP, nobody would be complaining.

His current walk percentage is a whole .4% below league average. In 2009 he was actually above league average. His HR%, XBH% are both well above league average and his LD% for his career is right at league average (and significantly above league average this year). I will say he's doing terrible as far as strikeouts go, but I can live with that, it's just a byproduct of being a power hitter. And a young one at that. He's, what, at least five or six years away from his prime?

And if you know baseball at all, you know there is no such thing as a can't-miss phenom. Jay Bruce's comparables through age 22 include Barry Bonds, Reggie Jackson, and Adam Dunn (according to baseball-reference). If you want big time superstars from the moment they join the team, go follow the Yankees.

podge, you also have to realize that Jay Bruce has basically been the exact same hitter his entire professional career. He *did* play baseball before getting called up to Cincinnati, ya know. He's average (at best) defensively, has a GREAT arm, is a terrible baserunner, hits for power, strikes out a TON, and is completely allergic to drawing a walk.

That's been the same for essentially his entire professional career. So I'm not sure what him only being 22 or 23 has to do with anything. It's not like he's gonna wake up tomorrow and all of a sudden have a keen eye and stealing 50 bases/year. Just not gonna happen.

And don't bring Adam Dunn into this. Look at both of their professional numbers (yes, including minor leagues) thru the same age. Jay Bruce vs. Adam Dunn....

- had similar power and batting average
- got on base much less frequently
- walked fractionally as much
- struck out more
- was completely dominated in the base-stealing department

And that's versus ADAM FREAKING DUNN (who's a very good player, by the way). But when your #s are dominated by Adam Dunn --> it's impossible to see how anyone would ever consider you the #1 prospect in baseball.

Originally posted by PTI (pti):
podge, you also have to realize that Jay Bruce has basically been the exact same hitter his entire professional career. He *did* play baseball before getting called up to Cincinnati, ya know. He's average (at best) defensively, has a GREAT arm, is a terrible baserunner, hits for power, strikes out a TON, and is completely allergic to drawing a walk.

That's been the same for essentially his entire professional career. So I'm not sure what him only being 22 or 23 has to do with anything. It's not like he's gonna wake up tomorrow and all of a sudden have a keen eye and stealing 50 bases/year. Just not gonna happen.

And don't bring Adam Dunn into this. Look at both of their professional numbers (yes, including minor leagues) thru the same age. Jay Bruce vs. Adam Dunn....

- had similar power and batting average
- got on base much less frequently
- walked fractionally as much
- struck out more
- was completely dominated in the base-stealing department

And that's versus ADAM FREAKING DUNN (who's a very good player, by the way). But when your #s are dominated by Adam Dunn --> it's impossible to see how anyone would ever consider you the #1 prospect in baseball.

Jay Bruce's first six games this year: .053/.100/.053/.153 with an extremely unlucky BABIP of .067.

The rest: .283/.358/.587/.945 with a little lucky BABIP of .313.

Currently has a walk rate of %10.1, league average is %8.8. Not only is he not allergic to walks, he's better than average.

Perfect FLD% in RF so far this year (much, much better than just "average").

And he has two stolen bases. A Henderson he is not, but I'd hardly call him terrible at baserunning.

You do have the strikes out a ton part right, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT