ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray's game...

Tony has been a low volume, below average 3pt shooter his whole career. Mainly relying on drives + floaters.

Murray is a bit of the opposite. Letting it fly from deep & making them at a good rate.

Yeah I just don't see Tony Parker at all, way different games. TP is all deception and craftiness. Murray takes it right at you, killer going to his left and he is a sniper anywhere on the floor with his shot.

He's hard to compare to. I haven't seen many players like him. He has an unique game.

Steph Curry is the best comparison IMO. Murray's a true and pure scoring guard. He can score in every way possible, he's clutch, and he has PG skills. He's an excellent 3pt shooter, he can get by the defender and get to the rim, he can finish through contact, he's a good ball handler, he's a good passer, good basketball IQ, see's the court well. Uh.... I mean the dude's the complete package. Steph Curry isn't an unbelievable athlete that LaBron is but he's one of the best 5 players in the NBA because off everything I just listed about Jamal Murray. Murray may be a little bigger than Curry was in college but that's the best and most accurate comparison.

Steph Curry is the best comparison IMO. Murray's a true and pure scoring guard. He can score in every way possible, he's clutch, and he has PG skills. He's an excellent 3pt shooter, he can get by the defender and get to the rim, he can finish through contact, he's a good ball handler, he's a good passer, good basketball IQ, see's the court well. Uh.... I mean the dude's the complete package. Steph Curry isn't an unbelievable athlete that LaBron is but he's one of the best 5 players in the NBA because off everything I just listed about Jamal Murray. Murray may be a little bigger than Curry was in college but that's the best and most accurate comparison.
That's who he reminds me of when he plays. Not saying he's in the same stratosphere in talent right now. But that's the style I see in him.

I don't see Curry at all in his game.

Curry is the best shooter of all time. Murray is obviously polished, but that comparison is just extreme.

I don't even think they have similar styles. Curry has utra tight handles + dishing out creative passes. Murray is solid in both areas, but its not close to Curry's flash.

Reactions: white10
Curry is the best shooter of all time. Murray is obviously polished, but that comparison is just extreme.

I don't even think they have similar styles. Curry has utra tight handles + dishing out creative passes. Murray is solid in both areas, but its not close to Curry's flash.

Spot on 5 star. Curry does things with the ball that make my eyes about pop out of my head. Steph is on his own level at PG. Someone on here said Brandon Roy yesterday or the day before, I like that comparison, especially since he will be a combo at UK with Ulis as his backcourt mate.

I'm sticking to my Curry comparison. Obviously Curry's better in some areas, but they are similar type guards.

No he's not Westbrook. Murray doesn't have the "put your head on the the rim" athleticism. Also, I think Murray will be better at running an offense and he will be a better distributor. Westbrook wants to do it all himself, and if his ego wasn't so big he'd have at least one Championship ring.

Reactions: brianpoe
Curry in college or Curry in the NBA? Curry's NBA game has skyrocketed.

Spot on 5 star. Curry does things with the ball that make my eyes about pop out of my head. Steph is on his own level at PG. Someone on here said Brandon Roy yesterday or the day before, I like that comparison, especially since he will be a combo at UK with Ulis as his backcourt mate.
I threw the Brandon Roy thing out there a little while back....but I see some steph too, mostly the passing but also the fearlessness to just let it go if you are feeling it from deep. Murray I'm not sure will ever shoot it like steph, really though, who does.

I think he has a similar playing style to Deron Williams, only a better passer.

I think all the comparisons are legit...know why???? Because we are all talking about great players and this kid is going to be great at the next two levels.

Is Tony Parker like, thats what I see.

Some of his floaters the past few days were very Tony Parkeresque. He also has Parker's game attitude it seems. Obviously very different in other aspects but I don't disagree with this.

I do not see Curry and absolutely not Westbrook.

He is a nifty passer and if his handles improve I would say he has quite a bit of Steve Nash in him.

I think all the comparisons are legit...know why???? Because we are all talking about great players and this kid is going to be great at the next two levels.

A lot of the scouts seem to think so. It's rare (very rare) that guards who are labelled as average athletes are projected to go so high in the draft. He just has a ridiculous offensive arsenal very early in his career. Does a lot of moves that NBA veterans do, and is a good passer to boot. Obviously as his basketball career progresses, his handles will tighten up, and his passing will become even better, but it's rare to see a guard score in so many ways this early in his career.

I've became a lot more confident in his abilities over the past week, and seen quite a few eye opening things. in the process, he became the first guard that we've had since John Wall who has been mentioned as a strong possibility to be an All-American.

Side-note: It's a real possibility for next year's team to have 3 All-Americans on the roster. Ulis is seen by many as one of, if not the best returning point guard in college basketball. Skal Labissiere is projected to be one of the best in the NCAA next season also, and then there's the emergence of Jamal Murray.

Reactions: UK HEMINGWAY
I can see some Roy but I hope Jamal is better than a 34% 3pt shooter.
I agree...and I think he will be. Roy is a little bigger 6'6". and a touch more athletic but Murray will get more explosive in the next couple years as he adds strength.

A lot of the scouts seem to think so. It's rare (very rare) that guards who are labelled as average athletes are projected to go so high in the draft. He just has a ridiculous offensive arsenal very early in his career. Does a lot of moves that NBA veterans do, and is a good passer to boot. Obviously as his basketball career progresses, his handles will tighten up, and his passing will become even better, but it's rare to see a guard score in so many ways this early in his career.

I've became a lot more confident in his abilities over the past week, and seen quite a few eye opening things. in the process, he became the first guard that we've had since John Wall who has been mentioned as a strong possibility to be an All-American.

Side-note: It's a real possibility for next year's team to have 3 All-Americans on the roster. Ulis is seen by many as one of, if not the best returning point guard in college basketball. Skal Labissiere is projected to be one of the best in the NCAA next season also, and then there's the emergence of Jamal Murray.

No way UK gets 2 guards on the AA 1st team. Maybe a 1st and 3rd, but not with these writers. Tony Bennett...smfh...

No way UK gets 2 guards on the AA 1st team. Maybe a 1st and 3rd, but not with these writers. Tony Bennett...smfh...

Probably should have prefaced by saying "one of" the All-American teams. Having 3 of the best 5 players in the country is insane. Having 3 of the 15 is realistic. Potentially 3 of the top 10.

As I SAID, he's not in the same stratosphere right now. But in the pan am games, I saw him hit about 4 or 5 threes in which he made a move like he was going to drive, jumped back behind the line and hit it while falling backwards. That's Steph's signature move. And I think you're selling his passing short a bit. He had some NASTY passes over the last few days including one behind the back to Bennett. His assists were low in the games because they have different, rather weird, international rules on what constitutes an assist.

I understand your point; He's not even sniffing the level of the NBA MVP but it's not "extreme" to say someone's style is like someone else. He may even develop another way but at the moment, I'm sticking to my initial comparison.

I see a little Jason Kidd. About the same size. Kidd was quicker, Murray a far better shooter. Murray is good enough to be his own brand if he keeps improving.

As I SAID, he's not in the same stratosphere right now. But in the pan am games, I saw him hit about 4 or 5 threes in which he made a move like he was going to drive, jumped back behind the line and hit it while falling backwards. That's Steph's signature move. And I think you're selling his passing short a bit. He had some NASTY passes over the last few days including one behind the back to Bennett. His assists were low in the games because they have different, rather weird, international rules on what constitutes an assist.

I understand your point; He's not even sniffing the level of the NBA MVP but it's not "extreme" to say someone's style is like someone else. He may even develop another way but at the moment, I'm sticking to my initial comparison.

He hit a good volume of step-backs, but its still doesn't resemble Curry. Curry's release is lightning quick. He's more known for that then his ability to hit step-backs ( which he does at a NBA best rate)

Murray had a few slick passes, but he made a lot of low IQ reads and generally passed it at average rate. I came out of those PanAM confirming he's not a PG. He's a ball mover, not someone who's throwing amazing/creative passes, which Curry does countless times a game.

Seriously, people who throw that comp. out seem too excited about his off-the bounce 3s. Curry style is just so different its a bit bizarre to even suggest it.

Reminds me a lot of a young D.Rose. Not saying he's as good, but they have a similar style.

Russel Westbrook may be the worst comparison for Murray I've ever heard.
It is way closer then Parker but it doesn't matter one way or another . They have similar handles that's why I have thought it . Just the way they dribble . Obviously though Murray is very different then all the players mentioned because he has a weird skill set . He shoots lights out but unlike alot of lights out shooters he is damn athletic but not uber athletic like someone like Westbrook . He handles and passes like pg but is more a SG ect ect . He is just odd and amazing and I love it .

It is way closer then Parker but it doesn't matter one way or another . They have similar handles that's why I have thought it . Just the way they dribble . Obviously though Murray is very different then all the players mentioned because he has a weird skill set . He shoots lights out but unlike alot of lights out shooters he is damn athletic but not uber athletic like someone like Westbrook . He handles and passes like pg but is more a SG ect ect . He is just odd and amazing and I love it .

Lmaoooo wait, you compared him to Westbrook simply because of the way he….dribbles??

Seriously, nobody is touching you at the top spot of the WOAT rankings on this board. You have that locked down.

Not sure why people are getting so bent out of shape over a player comparison. It's obviously subjective.

Not sure why people are getting so bent out of shape over a player comparison. It's obviously subjective.

True, theres just so many wide-ranges of players he's getting compared to in this thread that suggest we all may need to calm down. He's been balling since the hoop Summit, but expectations seem to be getting out of hand.

I mean, the guy has gotten compared to the GOAT shooter, GOAT PG athletes, the GOAT decision makers ever in this thread. Theres so many material for opposing fanbases in here.

Agree on Westbrook.

Ahh, the most athletic PG in NBA history who lacks a consistent 3-pt shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT