ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray visiting UK

Last two picks for UK on the crystal ball. Now 58% in favor of UK. Come on Jamal. Just go ahead and commit on the visit.

I get his reasoning behind it, makes sense. If they both come to UK then you basically have another platoon situation. Cal doesn't want to do that and, as we have seen, recruits don't want to do it.

I would rather take Murray than Swanigan but either would be great at this point.

I was thinking that too, but then I starting really looking at the lineup, and I don't see another platoon situation at all. We would have 6 or 7 players that would for sure get lots of PT (Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Poythress, Labissierre, Swanigan and Lee). Then you have guys like Matthews, Mulder, Hawkins and Willis. I don't see 3 players from that group that would justify rounding out a second platoon. I think Cal would start Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Poythress and Skal, with Swanigan, Lee and Mulder or Matthews getting solid reserve mins, and the remainder getting mop-up mins.

Last two picks for UK on the crystal ball. Now 58% in favor of UK. Come on Jamal. Just go ahead and commit on the visit.

Not so fast.

First, we need the question answered as to how his visit is going.

Does anyone know how his visit is going??

Reactions: KDcats11
Exactly. And it is pretty simple, you have 120 minutes at the 1, 2, and 3. Ulis, Briscoe and Murray each get 30 of that roughly for 90 total, leaving 30 bench minutes between Matthews and Mulder. Hawkins is not even relevant to this discussion honestly unless he learned to do anything offensively this off-season. I hope he does, but I have my doubts.

I get that Hawkins has shown major weaknesses, but I can't write off a guy who played a role in our 2014 run to the title game. He played 11 mpg over the sweet 16 through title game. His offense is clearly limited (scored 2 points total in those 4 games), but he was our best perimeter defender. With the depth we would have, maybe he never does get on the floor, but who knows, there could be a small role for him sometime.

I get that Hawkins has shown major weaknesses, but I can't write off a guy who played a role in our 2014 run to the title game. He played 11 mpg over the sweet 16 through title game. His offense is clearly limited (scored 2 points total in those 4 games), but he was our best perimeter defender. With the depth we would have, maybe he never does get on the floor, but who knows, there could be a small role for him sometime.

I heard that Hawkins HS coach says he is actually a very good offensive player, but he just hasn't been able to get his confidence up in college. Shot much better, especially from the FT line in HS.

I think having Mulder on our team may help with the Murray recruitment. The Canadian connection. It certainly doesn't hurt. U of L might look pretty stupid for not recruiting Mulder if Murray's decision is influenced by Mulder.

I think we all need to yell a loud "THANK YOU!!!!" to Cal for backing off Vick now. He seemed to know that it was either Vick or Murray and he chose Murray. Top player in the "world" seems like a great reason to tell Vick to look elsewhere.

Yeah, but he really did not improve at all this past season. When he played his lack of offensive ability was painful to watch. The 2 point, 3 point and even FT numbers (albeit in liimited attempts for all 3 shot types) are not good. Yeah, he played a role in that run, but that has no bearing going forward.

No they weren't. They said Murray was on campus. What is vague about that?

Jones last night said "If true..." when referring to the visit. The Thompson girl said this morning Murray was "reportedly" visiting. About as vague as you can get. Point's moot now because it's been confirmed he's on campus. Just not by them.

IMAGINE THIS LINE UP!

1. ULIS
2. BRISCOE
3. MURRAY
4. POYTHRESS
5. SKAL

OFF THE BENCH

LEE
MATHEWS
MULDER

I would say we're final four bound again!

Reactions: Brando Mac
I hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing Murray to Kentucky. It feels like "Newman II, Point Guard Peril" Murray has lots of options, including staying in the class of 2016. And he has one goal, to play the Point Guard in the NBA. Kentucky has three point guards, two of them McD AAs. I think Cal makes a monumental effort, the kid gets weak in the knees looking at all that makes Kentucky the Roman Empire of the sport. Then I think it comes down to what he has wanted all along -- to play point guard 35 minutes a game.

Can't he go pro next summer though? I doubt he stays in 2016. And where is he going to play PG then? UCONN has PGs, Oregon is set...no one else is really relevant.

Exactly. And it is pretty simple, you have 120 minutes at the 1, 2, and 3. Ulis, Briscoe and Murray each get 30 of that roughly for 90 total, leaving 30 bench minutes between Matthews and Mulder. Hawkins is not even relevant to this discussion honestly unless he learned to do anything offensively this off-season. I hope he does, but I have my doubts.

It is strange to me to see people write off Hawkins in favor of Mulder, a guy who none of us have seen play. Especially considering how much Cal values defense. Hawkins will be just as much in the discussion as Matthews and Mulder for bench minutes.

It is strange to me to see people write off Hawkins in favor of Mulder, a guy who none of us have seen play. Especially considering how much Cal values defense. Hawkins will be just as much in the discussion as Matthews and Mulder for bench minutes.

Well it certainly couldn't be because Mulder has quite a bit more size on Hawkins, just as much, if not more athleticism, a very long wingspan (6'10 wingspan for a 6'5 guard), much better shooter, etc.

That said, if Murray came here, he would see minutes at either the 2 or the 3 (depending on who the better rebounder is between Briscoe and Murray). If you watch any of Murray's mixtapes, he likes to shoot from the wings. He's comfortable over there. It also offers the same opportunities to get assists.
Example: BYU's small forward was a triple double machine last season.
He will be able to show off all of his versatility to an even higher degree if he's surrounded by good guards. Good passes are more likely to be assists, players will be more likely to find him, and he'll find it pretty simple to just lob it up to the rim at his convenience to get some quick points fairly often.
Between Ulis, Briscoe, he, and Skal, we would have 4 incredibly capable scorers, and proven winners.
UK would be his best situation.

Well it certainly couldn't be because Mulder has quite a bit more size on Hawkins, just as much, if not more athleticism, a very long wingspan (6'10 wingspan for a 6'5 guard), much better shooter, etc.

Oh totally. The potential is there, but he is still an unknown to me.

Though I'm salivating at Mulder's mixtapes, Hawkins has proven himself as the best on-ball defender the past two years and I think there will always be a place for that on a Calipari team.

Hawkins can really get off the floor and Swanigan is going to Purdue so if we get Murray will give us that 3 that can be the best in the country

he improved his jump shot when his athleticism started to dwindle like most professional guards tend to do. Comparing him at the same stage to Kidd is a little off because 1) although he's a good passer, he's not on Kidd's level and 2) he's a much better shooter than Kidd was as a high school senior/college freshman.

Kidd couldn't shoot to save his life at that point.
Thats fair. Jason Kidd shot 29% from behind the arc as a freshman. 36% as a Sophomore. You know whats funny, during the U-17 World Championships (7 games) in 2014, Jamal Murray shot 29% from behind the arc.

I'm already thoroughly convinced that we have the best backcourt in the country next season. Adding Murray just confirms it undeniably.

Oh totally. The potential is there, but he is still an unknown to me.

Though I'm salivating at Mulder's mixtapes, Hawkins has proven himself as the best on-ball defender the past two years and I think there will always be a place for that on a Calipari team.

I would consider Hawkins more of an unknown that Mulder. Mulder has at least produced stellar numbers at some variation of college. Hawkins didn't play AAU, he played high school ball in Kentucky and had the numbers he did.
Now, if he starts shooting like he did in high school? Hawkins could probably start, no question. The numbers he had in high school are insane. He just needs to get back to what he was doing. All starts with confidence.
But as it stands today, if I'm judging the confidence and the abilities of the two players, Mulder is my man. Especially considering his 7 rebounds per game, which will translate to D1 basketball.

Murray is not staying in the 2016 class. He wants to get to the league ASAP and staying in prep school doesn't help that.

Hope Cal isn't interested in the Pelicans job like some are saying. Could sway Murray another direction.

Murray is not staying in the 2016 class. He wants to get to the league ASAP and staying in prep school doesn't help that.
he can actually go to the NBA in the exact same amount of time regardless of whether he reclassifies or not
the only question is does he want to spend next year playing H.S. bball or college bball

Yeah, I love how these people on here act like UK cannot make a Final Four fun next year. UK had two bigs in 2011 and made it to the Final Four in Jones/Harrelson, and in 2012 with Jones/Davis.
Exactly. This past year made so many of our fans jaded for some reason. I get that we're spoiled, but a lot of us look stupid saying our frontcourt is not that good.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I know most won't agree with me, but I am kind of glad that Swanigan decided on Purdue.

Now there is absolutely no reason for Poythress to play on the wing.

Murray has the 3 spot to himself in the 3-guard lineup. He'll get all the minutes he could want.

Sign him up and call it a day. We are in great shape with a starting five of Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Poythress, and Labissiere. Those five get all the minutes they can handle. Then Lee off the bench inside with Mulder and Matthews fighting for minutes backing up the perimeter stars. Excellent 6-7 man rotation.

I would feel very comfortable with that team.

Yeah, but if we get Murray and not Swanigan, Poythress gets to play the 4, and we run a 3 guard set that will give teams fits.

Ulis, Briscoe and Murray. They can drive and dish, and they can shoot. How do you defend that?

Don't like to think about Duke but the 3 guard lineup you mentioned makes this team look a lot like last year's Duke team which should not have won it all but was very good.

Don't like to think about Duke but the 3 guard lineup you mentioned makes this team look a lot like last year's Duke team which should not have won it all but was very good.

Duke was the 2nd best team in the nation last year...so yeah, they were pretty good. And they may not have won it all if UK had just finished. I digress on that though, I agree with you on the 3 guard look. It is not a bad thing at all.

Reactions: EliteBlue
we will have the greatest backcourt of all time if Murray commits.
Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Mulder
Hawkins

My goodness!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT