ADVERTISEMENT

ITS BROKEN—The Dynamics of Fixing Rupp Arena

I've been to many SEC games that few fans care about - Bama/Ole Miss, Auburn/Vandy type games over the years.

I think a big problem fans have with Rupp is they only see games that are on TV that are college game day matchups, but as UK fans, we see every game in Rupp. The 9:00pm Wednesday night , 12 degrees outside games.

Yes, fan support for UK at Rupp has diminished. Its a combination of things - and there is no debate that One and Done has played a role in fans lack of connection to the team. At the same time Boomers aren't going to games like they used to. In my day, tickets were so hard to come by that we drove 5 hours to see the Cats play, and then turn around and come back home.

I don't think there are nearly enough 20 somethings today that are devoted enough fans to do that. They addressed it by creating better seating and dropping its size, upgrading big bertha and a few other things which increased demand by making fewer tickets available.

Another point is, which I'm sure has been mentioned is that during the stretch of losses at Rupp, Rupp arena was on fire, you couldn't ask for better fan support in those losses - packed arena, people making noise.

So yea, its can be quiet when the team is shooting 30%, your starting PG has a turnover to assist ratio that is similar to Derby favorite odds and your one-and-done is clanking 3's, but put an exciting team on the floor and Rupp rocks.

That hasn't changed since its opening.

This is obviously true. Bad games and bad performance will always equal worse atmosphere.

That said, it’s big games too now. There are “moments” where it becomes acceptable to stand and cheer, but those moments are rare and short lived. As a matter of fact, it usually only takes one small positive for the opposing team to completely silence Rupp for extended periods.

I think the lack of choreography, especially at timeouts and halftime, increases this issue. If we had a better MC situation and more fan engagement it would absolutely help.

After the Tennessee game I got to meet “The Amazing” Gary Sladek. He did the halftime performance for us where he stacked the chairs and stood on top of them. It was impressive, but undeniably cheap and lame considering how big of a game that was. By the way, UK coughed up $1600 for that performance according to him. No one will ever convince me that’s the best we can do for such a marquee game, nor that there aren’t 1000 better avenues to keep the crowd pumped up.

Reactions: UKortho
personally I would never go to a game concerned about what the halftime show is

hell, I don't even want one . bring out some kids playing ball from around the state, law enforcement, firefighters, teacher of the year, whatever - honor them and go get some ice cream.

not to sound harsh but I'm not driving to Rupp to see a woman on a unicycle throw bowls on top of her head.

I'm there to see UK take the heart of their opponent.

Last edited:
Yea let's change things at a place we have won almost 90% of our games since the friggin 70's.
When Rupp needs to be loud and into a game, it is. Always has been, and always will be.

If you want a bunch of kids jumping around for 40 minutes against Texas A&M Commerce, then go hang out at Duke.

The times, they are a-changing. Rupp used to be an intimidating environment and it is not any longer. Look at our home record over the last 4-5 years and you will notice it is historically bad for us. It’s not a coincidence.

I've been to many SEC games that few fans care about - Bama/Ole Miss, Auburn/Vandy type games over the years.

I think a big problem fans have with Rupp is they only see games that are on TV that are college game day matchups, but as UK fans, we see every game in Rupp. The 9:00pm Wednesday night , 12 degrees outside games.

Yes, fan support for UK at Rupp has diminished. Its a combination of things - and there is no debate that One and Done has played a role in fans lack of connection to the team. At the same time Boomers aren't going to games like they used to. In my day, tickets were so hard to come by that we drove 5 hours to see the Cats play, and then turn around and come back home.

I don't think there are nearly enough 20 somethings today that are devoted enough fans to do that. They addressed it by creating better seating and dropping its size, upgrading big bertha and a few other things which increased demand by making fewer tickets available.

Another point is, which I'm sure has been mentioned is that during the stretch of losses at Rupp, Rupp arena was on fire, you couldn't ask for better fan support in those losses - packed arena, people making noise.

So yea, its can be quiet when the team is shooting 30%, your starting PG has a turnover to assist ratio that is similar to Derby favorite odds and your one-and-done is clanking 3's, but put an exciting team on the floor and Rupp rocks.

That hasn't changed since its opening.
Fantastic post. Agree with all points.

TLDR- Rupp is no longer an advantage to Kentucky and pails in comparison to basically all other CBB schools.

I’ve been going to Rupp for over 35 years. Always lower arena and often close to court. Big games, small games, all games.

I have watched a deterioration of that stadium, especially over the last 15-10-5 years, that is unprecedented and increasingly a problem.

I’m going I try to compartmentalize the three actions that are a problem so talking about this is easier:

1) The Show

Go to any decent schools arena and you are going to find A SHOW BUDDY.

Flame throwers, smoke shows, a DJ, an MC, crowd chants throughout the game, loud rap music, things falling from the rafters, shirt giveaways, and I can go on and on.

It’s is beyond obvious we have decided we are above “the show”. We don’t even chant “blue/white” anymore before the game, much less during….ever.

2) Opera House Atmosphere

The most stunning thing to me is how great our fans are on the road, at neutral, and in tournaments.

At home, however (and you know this FOR A FACT IF YOU HAVE SAT IN LOWER AND ARE A LOUD FAN) you and literally shit on if you are a standing up, screaming fan at Rupp. It is not anyone’s fault except the ADs over the years. Season tix were over allocated to previous players (big time), but it’s led to the “boue hair” syndrome in the lower.

We must find a way to make the lower arena loud and intimidating. If you combine them with the already loud uppers it may immediately become best environment in CBB again.

3) Media must be updated, it sucks.

Unless CBS is in town (they bring their own stuff), our cameras look like they’re from 2011 and we don’t have any media cut in valves that make the production look so much better even for incompetent production staffs like ESPN. Jay Bills ice cream shots can actually look good, believe it or not. More importantly, our crowd can sound way louder and cooler, especially if we fix the lower arena.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on Rupp and
How it affects our team. If we were unbeatable at Rupp we would be a #1 seed right now and considering we’ve almost always been unbeatable at home, I think it’s the most important thing to fix.

Please tell me the stuff I’ve missed, I wanna hear it.
the last few games the crowd enthusiasm has been off the charts there...you have zero clue what you are talking about...the crowd can't play defense for the team

Make a $

Who is going to pay for that luxury box? They do. That is why you can't piss them off. Make a $100K to $200K donation to UK, and I'd bet they'd find you decent seats.
Just spit balling here,but away games that are so loud,Cancun, Hawaii are these attended by students and that's why they are so loud?

Reactions: Catman100
when UK has an exciting team, the whole nation gets behind them

just look at Vegas betting. While I certainly have issues with Calipari as coach, this team is easily the most exciting he's had since 2015 (Fox and Monk, no offense).

Win or lose, the crowds have been there this year.

If Rupp is a morgue, it all starts with the team and their year to date performance.

While I can appreciate the super fan supporters who think if you are in Rupp, no matter how bad the team is you should cheer, stand and whatever, honestly, that's a high school mentality

UK fans know basketball, and in their history I would venture to say they have never knowingly supported a bad version of it unless there were extenuating circumstances - like 1988-89. UK fans support execution, effort and dedication. Calipari's decision making of recent years has been in conflict with that.

The times, they are a-changing. Rupp used to be an intimidating environment and it is not any longer. Look at our home record over the last 4-5 years and you will notice it is historically bad for us. It’s not a coincidence.
there are other obvious reasons that aren't related to Rupp Arena

one of Rupp's problems is size. There's room between the seats and the floor. In the cracker boxes some of the other teams play in, fans can almost touch the players. Those gyms sound louder because the roofs are lower and the walls are closer. However, when the team got going Saturday, Rupp was as loud as I have ever heard it.

I am sorry about the confusion but I was only talking about the folks that sit and shout at others to sit down.
I did just go ahead and read the rest of the post and have no problem with anything you said after the part I just hightlighted, including the last senctence(I have no power in this world as I'm old and poor; bitching about things I don't like is a big part of why I come here lol). I am an old person myself with disabilities so I would never criticize somebody for any kind of disability so that is what upset me(also was never that way when I was younger). I do not feel in any way that older people or people with disabilities should not be there. I just think our school needs to find a way to have more of the rowdier fans near the court.

I appreciate your response and I hope there are no hard feelings; there are none on my part. Again, sorry if I upset you.
Thanks, buddy. And I appreciate that you went back and took the time to read the rest of my post. And I also am sorry if I upset you. This is what BBN is about...discussions and mutual understanding. I didn't know your background and reasoning behind your statement. Sometimes it hard to get a point across when you just have to write it. Misunderstandings can happen that way. Absolutely, there are no hard feelings. Just a massive amount of respect for a fellow BBN fan and new friend!! (hopefully🤣)

GO BIG BLUE!!!

Reactions: ukfan1622
That has all to do with coaching bud, not Rupp Arena or fan support.
Good Lord don't double down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT