ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Humphries the mystery August big man addition??

Plus, the international inroads will be huge down the road. Kanter, Towns, Skal, Murray, Mulder, Tai. I'm excited that Calipari is expanding the UK brand worldwide.
Yeah very good point. Cal is making UK the most popular college basketball team in the world....I'm sure Duke is up there too but Cal has arguably made us the "world's team"

Reactions: brianpoe
I mean if he's good then I want him, but I'm scared he'd just be another uncoordinated, 7ft, mediocre white boy. And I especially don't want him clogging up a scholly for a 5star big next year. I don't know anything about this kid though, so he may be a really good looking prospect. I just don't want to be stuck with say. 2 Eloy Varges. Because I have no idea how good Wynyard is either.

Adding Humphries to this year's team would be a huge asset. He could backup Skal at the center position, while allowing Lee the chance to backup Poythress at the 4, while playing a little at the 5. Plus, it gives us another big man in case of foul trouble or (heaven forbid) injuries.

If Cal thinks he can help us win #9 this season, then I'm all in.

I can't see us getting Killeya-Jones AND Ayton if we have Humphries and Wynyard.

Maybe one of the two.

We are unsure about Lee as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

My freaking point exactly. I mean like I said this kid may be a beast, but we already got Wynyard coming in. We cant afford to have him in the way of a star unless Cal's confident he can be a beast.

We already have a 3rd year 2pt - 2 rebound guy and you labelled him a beast earlier today.

We can always use depth when it comes to bigs.

"We don't need another one IMO." So Cal has the kid coming in for a visit and is obviously recruiting him, but YOU say we don't need him. Hmmm Trust in Cal? or Crazyass Johnny?

I do trust in Cal's judgment... 100%. I don't know nothing about this kid. But a lot of times those big 7ft 4star white guys ride the bench for 4years. But If Cal thinks he can contribute then I'm all for it as long as it don't screw us out of getting a top 5-10 type big like we all want and need. Lee's gonna have a big impact defensively this year though man. I do think he's gonna be solid this year.

My freaking point exactly. I mean like I said this kid may be a beast, but we already got Wynyard coming in. We cant afford to have him in the way of a star unless Cal's confident he can be a beast.

I don't think we will need both with Humphries and Wynyard down low.

Those two should not scare either Ayton or Killeya-Jones, but probably keeps both from coming.

But as the old saying goes, "one in the hand, is worth two in the bush." I'd rather have another experienced player with a year in the system than rely on a couple of freshmen, especially with the bigs being considered a weak area in the 2016 class.

Give me one of Ayton and Killeya-Jones to pair with Humphries/Wynyard inside and we are solid.

But whatever Cal decides is fine with me. If Cal wants him, I want him.

Who plays the 4 if Poythress isn't ready or tweaks something? Whos our big man if Skal is ineligible or hurt or something like that? Who's our big man next year if SKJ goes to Carolina and Ayton doesn't reclassify or Lee goes pro?

Of course those are all what-ifs, and you can't prepare for everything, nor do you want to load the roster, but since everyone here is always so worried about what Duke is doing, they added a transfer, added Jeter, added the three star kid I can't remember the name of, and will likely land Giles anyway in 2016, so I'm not too worried about us being "too crowded" if Ayton reclassifies.

Besides, you're going to be hard pressed to come up with a scenario in which I wouldn't want a 7 foot, 250 pound 4 star center in a loaded 2016 class unless grades or a criminal case were involved.

By the way, everyone wanted Zimmerman, Cal included, and he isn't going to be a OAD either, so the same "problem" applies there. This is a move that helps this year but ensures that we aren't left without a big man in what should be a monster 2016 season.

And he's not some stiff who can't play. Kansas, Arizona, Illinois, Oregon, Wichita State were his top 5 if he stayed 2016, and Florida, Duke and obviously Kentucky were keeping tabs on him.

I mean if he's good then I want him, but I'm scared he'd just be another uncoordinated, 7ft, mediocre white boy. And I especially don't want him clogging up a scholly for a 5star big next year. I don't know anything about this kid though, so he may be a really good looking prospect. I just don't want to be stuck with say. 2 Eloy Varges. Because I have no idea how good Wynyard is either.

Did you not see him play? He's pretty darn good.

Can't believe some of you are saying you'd pass on this guy! Everyone does realize how thin our frontcourt is right? Although very talented, but one injury down low and this teams ceiling changes dramatically. Seems like a good pickup if it happens. I'll trust in Cal.
If we lose one of our starters this guy is not making up for it. It's nice to have depth but our title hopes are still out the window if we lose someone like Skal or Poythress, even with this addition.

If we lose one of our starters this guy is not making up for it. It's nice to have depth but our title hopes are still out the window if we lose someone like Skal or Poythress, even with this addition.
Well, you basically can say that for any year.

People complain about only having 5 star one and done types and not 4 year players. People complain that guys aren't good enough when we get a guy who isn't a likely one and done type. You can't please everyone. Trust in Cal. I, for one, would love to add another center. Hawkins, Mulder, Matthews, Lee, Humphries would give us a sub for every position, and better scrimmage lineups.

Humphries is ours if he can reclassify. Let's just say Coach K,Self, and Roy Williams won't be happy. They all were recruiting him for 2016.

Some of you recruiting experts are talking out of your @sses. Especially those that admit they have never seen him play and use stupid stereotypes (white 7 footer, quite a few of those in the NBA).

We have one backup big. ONE. And a starter coming off an ACL who isn't even playing basketball yet.

This guy is somewhat close to Zimmerman and everybody wanted him. Some of you don't want him because of recruits two years away? Did you not just watch this spring's recruiting fiasco?

Just remember, if Cal offers/gives a schollie to a kid, go ahead and complain all you want, but there is an extremely high chance you will look stupid, and hopefully called out every time the kid does something well for the team.

I'm all for discussion but geez, a 4* big could save this team's butt.

Last edited:
KSR is reporting that he will be a wildcat this season. Cal has pulled another rabbit out of the hat . Good get for UK.

Reactions: etowncatfan

LOL apparently you haven't watched any video or games of either of them as neither are 7 ft and uncoordinated and well there race just is irrelevant .Both are top 30-40 players in the 16' class which means they would be top 25 ish in the 15 class but MOST importantly both have a ton of potential . Wynyard is twice the player he was just 6 months ago as he has really defined his body and is continuing to extend his range . Humphries is huge and can get up and down the court with haste and has a good array of post moves already . He is the 4th best center in 16 class and is just rounding into form now . Both will get NBA checks one day and IMO with Humphries it will be sooner then Wynyard . We had one weakness for the 15 season - no bulk , well no more .

Man Cal is such a pimp . The 16 class was totally devoid of big men almost and we have it solved basically with these 2 and Sasha Killyea . Just add one more big if Lee leaves ( which he will) and we are stacked again in 16-17 . I am stoked!!!

Cal has filled the one void on this team. Incredible pick up on August 1st.

LOL apparently you haven't watched any video or games of either of them as neither are 7 ft and uncoordinated and well there race just is irrelevant .Both are top 30-40 players in the 16' class which means they would be top 25 ish in the 15 class but MOST importantly both have a ton of potential . Wynyard is twice the player he was just 6 months ago as he has really defined his body and is continuing to extend his range . Humphries is huge and can get up and down the court with haste and has a good array of post moves already . He is the 4th best center in 16 class and is just rounding into form now . Both will get NBA checks one day and IMO with Humphries it will be sooner then Wynyard . We had one weakness for the 15 season - no bulk , well no more .

Man Cal is such a pimp . The 16 class was totally devoid of big men almost and we have it solved basically with these 2 and Sasha Killyea . Just add one more big if Lee leaves ( which he will) and we are stacked again in 16-17 . I am stoked!!!

No that's what I was saying. I haven't seen any highlights of him at all.

Ok. I finally watched a highlight video of him. He looks good. He does remind me of Zimmerman. Yeah I want him now lol.

Wonder what this will do to Lee? It could keep him on the bench again other than a few mins a game.

Wonder what this will do to Lee? It could keep him on the bench again other than a few mins a game.

Geez johnnyboy, stop it. Lee will play a ton. This guy will play less than Marcus.

You go from one extreme to another, have a beer and calm down.

No more Mountain Dew for you!

Reactions: UK90 and jarms24

Of course the same could've been said of Josh Harrelson when Enes Kanter was ruled ineligible and that worked out.

Im not expecting him to "make up for it" at all. Only to provide good minutes to decrease the wear and tear of the bigs we do have. Also, the less minutes Skal or Poythress have to play...the decreased probability of a potential injury.

Last edited:
Those questioning this pickup obviously lack familiarity with the lack of bigs in 2016. This a beautiful pickup given the virtual wasteland that is next year's class of big men. Having him here a year early to develop him and going against one of the most skilled bigs to come out of high school in some time is brilliant.

Nothing . Skal and Poy are starters and along with Lee are our 3 main bigs . Only Diallo , of the guys Cal was after would of changed that . All this means is Wynyard has this whole season to get ready for 16 as i Humphries will be the 4th big man not Tai and he will be vital if we play a team with a big man of similar size and weight as Skal and Lee are too thin to guard a 280 pound hoss ( not that there are a ton any more in college but they exist ) .

Nothing . Skal and Poy are starters and along with Lee are our 3 main bigs . Only Diallo , of the guys Cal was after would of changed that . All this means is Wynyard has this whole season to get ready for 16 as i Humphries will be the 4th big man not Tai and he will be vital if we play a team with a big man of similar size and weight as Skal and Lee are too thin to guard a 280 pound hoss ( not that there are a ton any more in college but they exist ) .

Lee better be a beast defensively because Humphries is more skilled offensively.

To anyone worried about Cal's judgement...Jorts has already been mentioned, and I seem to remember a big kid that was rated in the thirties from Kansas who turned out pretty good! I am not comparing this kid and Cauley Stein athletically, but I would bet that under Cal's tutelage for three years he would turn into a major asset. He and Wynyard could definitely offer up the most physical post play we have had since Boogie dominated inside.

Geez johnnyboy, stop it. Lee will play a ton. This guy will play less than Marcus.

You go from one extreme to another, have a beer and calm down.

No more Mountain Dew for you!
I've been drinking redneck cappuccino since my youth. I think there are photos of this green elixir in my baby bottle

Looks like Matt Jones was right. Humphries is expected to enroll at Kentucky for this upcoming season. I think this is a great addition. This guy could really help us in the next few years.

Those questioning this pickup obviously lack familiarity with the lack of bigs in 2016. This a beautiful pickup given the virtual wasteland that is next year's class of big men. Having him here a year early to develop him and going against one of the most skilled bigs to come out of high school in some time is brilliant.

Exactly.

And two names to remember concerning big man development...

Calipari and Payne.

Meh, we'll see. He's not gonna scare anybody off so we'll likely never have to rely on him.

ADVERTISEMENT