ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Humphries the mystery August big man addition??

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
Chris Fisher with a sudden random CB prediction of Humphries to UK. Interesting.

Matt Jones has been hinting of a possible last minute big man addition for weeks. Was supposedly going to happen in August.

I'd classify him as Top 50 kid if he stayed in 2016. Maybe Top 25-30 though in 2015 - a weak class. He wouldn't be a bad last minute pickup at all. Probably marginally better than Wynyard and a 2-3 year guy. I think it would be a great pickup considering the lack of quality bigs in 2016 and our thin front court.

Reactions: OSOK and DY9ASTY
How good is he? I don't want him if he's gonna clog up a scholly that could go to t frontcourt player next year. And just be a mediocre 2pt, 2rb guy, We already have a 3-4 year guy in Wynyard. We don't need another one IMO. If he's not a really good player who'll contribute majorly then we need to save that scholly for somebody in next year's class.

How good is he? I don't want him if he's gonna clog up a scholly that could go to t frontcourt player next year. And just be a mediocre 2pt, 2rb guy, We already have a 3-4 year guy in Wynyard. We don't need another one IMO. If he's not a really good player who'll contribute majorly then we need to save that scholly for somebody in next year's class.
Cal wouldn't offer him if he didn't think he'd be an asset.

Good player to plug in for 8-10mpg. Then start as a Sophomore. This kid and Wynyard (who could redshirt this year if we have Humphries) would give us a pretty strong frontcourt foundation to build on.

Cal has ruined the excitement of recruiting for me. And let me add...I have no complaints!

Good player to plug in for 8-10mpg. Then start as a Sophomore. This kid and Wynyard (who could redshirt this year if we have Humphries) would give us a pretty strong frontcourt foundation to build on.

Why would you go from 2016 to 2015 then Redshirt?

Why would you go from 2016 to 2015 then Redshirt?

If Wynyard comes in second semester (he graduates in December), then he could redshirt and not waste a year of eligibility if he isn't going to play. We wouldn't need him to play with Humphries on the team in 15-16. He can then practice with the team, train with the staff, and get a head start in the classroom without the pressure of having to play.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think this would be a perfect addition. Even if it's for depth for a couple years because bigs are scarce in next years class. Take a 7ft big man and mold him and let him learn the system. Win win if you ask me.

Reactions: CUT-NETS and Mike-D

We already have a 3rd year 2pt - 2 rebound guy and you labelled him a beast earlier today.

We can always use depth when it comes to bigs.

"We don't need another one IMO." So Cal has the kid coming in for a visit and is obviously recruiting him, but YOU say we don't need him. Hmmm Trust in Cal? or Crazyass Johnny?

Humphries and Wynard to possibly go along with SKJ and Ayton would be a great front court to have for '16-17.

Reactions: brianpoe
Humphries and Wynard to possibly go along with SKJ and Ayton would be a great front court to have for '16-17.

I can't see us getting Killeya-Jones AND Ayton if we have Humphries and Wynyard.

Maybe one of the two.

We are unsure about Lee as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

4 star in a loaded 2016 class, so likely in the 2015 class he might be a "low" 5 star player.

Get one big man and I think we are really ready to kick some ass again.

"Isaac Humphries averaged 18.9 points, 11.6 rebounds and 3.3 blocks at the U17 World Championship in Dubai last summer "

Chris Fisher tweeted this out. Sounds like a kid that can help our front court. We have no banger down low with only Skal and Lee.

"Isaac Humphries averaged 18.9 points, 11.6 rebounds and 3.3 blocks at the U17 World Championship in Dubai last summer "

Chris Fisher tweeted this out. Sounds like a kid that can help our front court. We have no banger down low with only Skal and Lee.

Yeah, right now our "banger" is Poythress. Oh well, the 2012 team only had one "banger" in T-Jones and that skinny guy in the front court and that worked out fine for them.

That said, this guy sounds good to me. I like adding all these foreign country players to our team...UK is going to have a very international flavor to it this fall. Haiti, Canada (X2), Australia perhaps, and New Zealand perhaps...Winston Churchill is turning over in his grave that we did not find a South African or Brit.

Well Coach Cal did say if the USA kids didn't want to come he would go get the best players in other countries. I wouldn't be surprised by this and if you look at our glaring weakness it is that we only have 2 true post players in Skal and Lee. You would have to think that Lee is going to be in foul trouble in about half the games. If Skal and Lee are both in foul trouble do you play Willis and Poythress inside. Would that bunch hold up against a team like UNC or Maryland who have beef down on the block. Just off the top of my head I'm not sure our scholarship situation is but we hardly ever use our full allotment. I'm sure we have 2 or 3 left over.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
Love to have him

even if it's for practice. You can't teach 7' and big body. If anything, it'll be great for Skal's development.

Reactions: Bkocats
Getting him could also allow us to go big. 7'0 260# Humphries at the center, 7'0 220# Labissiere at the power forward (he does project as a 4/5 in the NBA)

Some people on here are really questioning whether or not adding a 7'0 top-50 overall 4-Star center in August would be a wise move, especially when the one glaring weakness on next year's squad that is continuously brought up is a potential lack of front-court depth? Seriously, how many top-5 centers are typically hanging around, there for the taking right before the start of a season? If the kid lives up to his ranking, he'd be a nice little addition regardless of timing, let alone a great last second pick-up. And as a few posters on here have already mentioned, even if he doesn't end up re-classifying, there aren't that many enticing options as it pertains to big men in next year's class, so I personally at least would take him either way if he's ready to give a commitment.

Cal has ruined the excitement of recruiting for me. And let me add...I have no complaints!
well said. not only does he get the best players, but the guys he passes on that are highly rated more times than not end up having issues, or fall in draft position. you can't have a better position for offers.

Can't believe some of you are saying you'd pass on this guy! Everyone does realize how thin our frontcourt is right? Although very talented, but one injury down low and this teams ceiling changes dramatically. Seems like a good pickup if it happens. I'll trust in Cal.

Plus, the international inroads will be huge down the road. Kanter, Towns, Skal, Murray, Mulder, Tai. I'm excited that Calipari is expanding the UK brand worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT