ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article in the CJ on Bear Bryant leaving UK

May 23, 2015
Interesting article in the Courier today by Jon Hale detailing the day Bear left Kentucky. Sheds a little more light on one the many ways basketball has really killed our football program through the years. Here’s some quotes from the article I found interesting:

“The popular story that Bryant left Kentucky due to the perception of the university as a “basketball school” is supported by the reporting of the Courier Journal the day he announced he was headed to Texas A&M.

“Paul and his family love the state of Kentucky, the Bluegrass area, and the university,” Courier Journal sports editor Early Ruby wrote in the Feb. 5, 1954 edition. “But Paul is leaving for a job that pays him less money and will afford him less chance for outside income.

“Paul has been extremely unhappy since the basketball scandals rocked the nation and centered unsavory attention on Kentucky.

“Paul is a comparatively young man in the game. He is a genius as a football strategist and as a leader of boys. He has tremendous enthusiasm and ambition. It has been his hope to remain in Kentucky the rest of his life. He would make his name, and a name for Kentucky right here in Lexington.

“But every time he hurdled one backwash from the scandals, he encountered another. Most of the publicity has been undeserved. Much of it has been grossly unfair. But deserved or not it has caused innumerable boys to turn elsewhere for athletics. In addition to this deplorable state of affairs, Paul has come to realize that the University of Kentucky is governed by basketball, at the expense of football. This and the scandal brought him to the decision that he never could achieve here the success he wants and feels will be his in football.”

The Kentucky basketball team had been put on probation in the early 1950s as part of a point-shaving scandal, and its entire 1952-53 season was canceled.

As Bryant was pondering his move, Adolph Rupp was coaching the 1953-54 Kentucky men’s basketball team to a perfect 25-0 record.

While acknowledging the relationship between Bryant and Rupp was “not cordial,” Ruby discounted the argument the situation in the athletics department had necessitated one of the two star coaches to leave.

“Bryant would be the first to concede that Rupp is a brilliant basketball coach,” Ruby wrote. “But Rupp’s very poor relationship with fellow coaches and with the press definitely was a factor.

“As long as basketball rules the campus and the administration, these relations hardly can be expected to improve.”

It’s crazy flashing forward to today how little has changed. The administration, while more invested in football than ever, is still basketball-crazy, even during an undefeated run with one of the hottest football teams in the nation. The face and voice of Kentucky sports, Matt Jones, has spent the entire day tweeting and urging Kentucky fans to go buy tickets for the Duke-Kentucky basketball matchup instead of hyping up a chance at Kentucky’s best football start in over 50 years and a massive showdown in College Station. It’s just sad to see how little things have changed through the years. We had the best coach in the history of the sport who left because of basketball. We have the 13th ranked team in the nation and the voice of our fan base is talking about Kentucky-Duke basketball tickets. Sure, he’ll do the whole song and dance and get excited when we win because he knows it’s good for business, but it’s just sad to sit back and think about where this program would be at right now had Kentucky never become a “basketball school”.

Interesting article in the Courier today by Jon Hale detailing the day Bear left Kentucky. Sheds a little more light on one the many ways basketball has really killed our football program through the years. Here’s some quotes from the article I found interesting:

“The popular story that Bryant left Kentucky due to the perception of the university as a “basketball school” is supported by the reporting of the Courier Journal the day he announced he was headed to Texas A&M.

“Paul and his family love the state of Kentucky, the Bluegrass area, and the university,” Courier Journal sports editor Early Ruby wrote in the Feb. 5, 1954 edition. “But Paul is leaving for a job that pays him less money and will afford him less chance for outside income.

“Paul has been extremely unhappy since the basketball scandals rocked the nation and centered unsavory attention on Kentucky.

“Paul is a comparatively young man in the game. He is a genius as a football strategist and as a leader of boys. He has tremendous enthusiasm and ambition. It has been his hope to remain in Kentucky the rest of his life. He would make his name, and a name for Kentucky right here in Lexington.

“But every time he hurdled one backwash from the scandals, he encountered another. Most of the publicity has been undeserved. Much of it has been grossly unfair. But deserved or not it has caused innumerable boys to turn elsewhere for athletics. In addition to this deplorable state of affairs, Paul has come to realize that the University of Kentucky is governed by basketball, at the expense of football. This and the scandal brought him to the decision that he never could achieve here the success he wants and feels will be his in football.”

The Kentucky basketball team had been put on probation in the early 1950s as part of a point-shaving scandal, and its entire 1952-53 season was canceled.

As Bryant was pondering his move, Adolph Rupp was coaching the 1953-54 Kentucky men’s basketball team to a perfect 25-0 record.

While acknowledging the relationship between Bryant and Rupp was “not cordial,” Ruby discounted the argument the situation in the athletics department had necessitated one of the two star coaches to leave.

“Bryant would be the first to concede that Rupp is a brilliant basketball coach,” Ruby wrote. “But Rupp’s very poor relationship with fellow coaches and with the press definitely was a factor.

“As long as basketball rules the campus and the administration, these relations hardly can be expected to improve.”

It’s crazy flashing forward to today how little has changed. The administration, while more invested in football than ever, is still basketball-crazy, even during an undefeated run with one of the hottest football teams in the nation. The face and voice of Kentucky sports, Matt Jones, has spent the entire day tweeting and urging Kentucky fans to go buy tickets for the Duke-Kentucky basketball matchup instead of hyping up a chance at Kentucky’s best football start in over 50 years and a massive showdown in College Station. It’s just sad to see how little things have changed through the years. We had the best coach in the history of the sport who left because of basketball. We have the 13th ranked team in the nation and the voice of our fan base is talking about Kentucky-Duke basketball tickets. Sure, he’ll do the whole song and dance and get excited when we win because he knows it’s good for business, but it’s just sad to sit back and think about where this program would be at right now had Kentucky never become a “basketball school”.

Not sure about the "...face and voice of Kentucky sports..." part...

Wonder what drove him out of aTm, he’s no different than any young coach today climbing the ladder. He wasn’t staying here under any circumstances, we could have disbanded basketball and he still would have eventually left. He went to a state loaded with talent which is no surprise because I bet all coaches had to rely on local talent due to paltry recruiting budgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Man..... I was happy with things until I took this with my coffee. C'mon, aint nuthin we can do about it. Interesting read and thanx for sharing but ima just enjoy the current ride instead of fretting over the last time I went to the park and the ride was closed. Also I concur on Jones not being the voice of the wildcats.....self anointed voice perhaps.

Wonder what drove him out of aTm, he’s no different than any young coach today climbing the ladder. He wasn’t staying here under any circumstances, we could have disbanded basketball and he still would have eventually left. He went to a state loaded with talent which is no surprise because I bet all coaches had to rely on local talent due to paltry recruiting budgets.
Wrong. Bryant signed a contract that would have had him staying through 1965.

Bryant was limited in recruiting to no more than five out of state scholarships. per year by uk. That was the death knell.
Amen Governor Wetherby wanted more Kentucky boys. Bryant got mostly out of state players I was Rupp’s Student Manager his last 4 years I drove him to the Bear’s house in 1970 when we played Bama in Tuscaloosa. They were cordial and friendly to each other Rupp told me Lexington wasn’t big enough for 2 egos as big as his and Bear’s

And don't forget about the watch. Oh, I know that story has been debunked several times, but a lot of people still believe it.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
And don't forget about the watch. Oh, I know that story has been debunked several times, but a lot of people still believe it.
the watch story is a good one even if it isn't true as to fact it probably is in principle

I heard a very different story, from a little old lady who worked for Happy Chandler for years. Bear was having an affair with Chandlers daughter Mildred ( Mimi they called her). Everybody and his brother in Lexington knew it. Mimi was a musical actress. She played in several movies with Dorothy Lamore. Chandler was getting ready to make another run for Governor in 1955 and he didn't want this mess exposed. Weatherby was Governor at the time but Chandler was still calling the shots behind the scenes. So they got rid of Bryant. That and for all the other reasons previously mentioned, Bryant took the only offer he still had on the table from A&M. His wife wanted him out of there and away from Mimi as well. I've asked a lot of older people about it who lived in Lexington at the time, and they all said they had heard it years ago. Like so many other things back then it never got into the news.

He went to Bama. When he left aTm for Bama, he was quoted as saying "Mama called. And when Mama calls, you come running."

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
He went to Bama. When he left aTm for Bama, he was quoted as saying "Mama called. And when Mama calls, you come running."
Exactly, he was never staying at UK anyway. People act like their heritage was robbed or something, if he couldn’t handle not being the only show in town then it’s all his fault for leaving. UK always has been and always will be a basketball first school, nothing will ever change that.

I heard a very different story, from a little old lady who worked for Happy Chandler for years. Bear was having an affair with Chandlers daughter Mildred ( Mimi they called her). Everybody and his brother in Lexington knew it. Mimi was a musical actress. She played in several movies with Dorothy Lamore. Chandler was getting ready to make another run for Governor in 1955 and he didn't want this mess exposed. Weatherby was Governor at the time but Chandler was still calling the shots behind the scenes. So they got rid of Bryant. That and for all the other reasons previously mentioned, Bryant took the only offer he still had on the table from A&M. His wife wanted him out of there and away from Mimi as well. I've asked a lot of older people about it who lived in Lexington at the time, and they all said they had heard it years ago. Like so many other things back then it never got into the news.
This is the story I have heard for the reason Paul "Bear" Bryant left town. Messing around with the daughter of Happy Chandler. I first heard this story in 1961 when I was a UK freshman. I think it is true and the reason. Bryant and UK did not play Alabama for many years after he became Bama coach. The watch makes for a good fictional story and limiting the recruiting to only 5 non Kentucky players was a fact but Mrs. Bryant wanted out of Lexington and Happy Chandler wanted them out as well. As a father I can understand.

It's interesting to see some behind the scenes accounts of what happens to lead people in different directions.

Remember that, at UF, Urban Meyer left the gators head coaching job so that he could "spend more time with his family" and "watch his daughter play volleyball" or whatever other cover up reason was for him being run out of Gainesville.

It's interesting to see some behind the scenes accounts of what happens to lead people in different directions.

Remember that, at UF, Urban Meyer left the gators head coaching job so that he could "spend more time with his family" and "watch his daughter play volleyball" or whatever other cover up reason was for him being run out of Gainesville.
I always thought that story of why he left Florida was fishy.

Laughable that a story about Bear Bryant is used as an excuse to rant about Matt effing Jones. Christ. He lives rent free in some of your heads. It's embarrassing.

Secondly, no doubt that egos would never have allowed those 2 to remain at the same school for decades. I'm stunned they managed to do it for 8 seasons.

Regardless, I've always been a little skeptical of the notion that Bryant was forced to leave UK because of his perception of being second class at UK. That guy could have taken a big time job had he been looking for a better opportunity for success, and A&M was far from it.

Limited scholarships played a part in Bears departure. Losing Paul Horning to Notre Dame didn't help!

This is what I know, as well. I never wanted to be the person who said it.

I wish people would not make basketball a scapegoat for our football team’s lack of success over the years. Having a great basketball program helps some in recruiting. Our basketball program has won 8 championships despite our football program’s not doing so well.

I wish people would not make basketball a scapegoat for our football team’s lack of success over the years. Having a great basketball program helps some in recruiting. Our basketball program has won 8 championships despite our football program’s not doing so well.

No way you can say a basketball focus hasn't had something to do with football's struggles.

Did you see the folding chairs and screen on the wall that represented our recruiting room until last year? When joker left we were paying our O and D coordinators $250k annually. and the rest of our staff bottom of the SEC rates as well. we now pay Gran like 800k. money talks. basketball has had it and football hasn't for many many years.

Reactions: law1127
Laughable that a story about Bear Bryant is used as an excuse to rant about Matt effing Jones. Christ. He lives rent free in some of your heads. It's embarrassing.

Secondly, no doubt that egos would never have allowed those 2 to remain at the same school for decades. I'm stunned they managed to do it for 8 seasons.

Regardless, I've always been a little skeptical of the notion that Bryant was forced to leave UK because of his perception of being second class at UK. That guy could have taken a big time job had he been looking for a better opportunity for success, and A&M was far from it.

Bear Bryant saw the point shaving mess an embarrassment to the university. When he returned from a recruiting trip in 1953 (having just inked a 12 yr contract, he found out Pres Donovan had NOT fired Rupp. He mentioned to his team mgr Frank Sadler that his biggest reason for leaving was due to promises not being kept.

Bear Bryant was NOT going to transfer to Alabama from Kentucky—ever. He admitted at a luncheon yeats later that he didn’t like coaches moving from SEC schools to another. He cited Doug Dickey as an example.

Bryant did NOT like Rupp. Rupp came on TV back then demanding a raise from UK. Apparently he was feeling the heat from Bryant’s popularity. I talked to some who remember this—and all described this as “not a good look”

This is the story I have heard for the reason Paul "Bear" Bryant left town. Messing around with the daughter of Happy Chandler. I first heard this story in 1961 when I was a UK freshman. I think it is true and the reason. Bryant and UK did not play Alabama for many years after he became Bama coach. The watch makes for a good fictional story and limiting the recruiting to only 5 non Kentucky players was a fact but Mrs. Bryant wanted out of Lexington and Happy Chandler wanted them out as well. As a father I can understand.
This story is bullshit

This story is bullshit
I guess the story about Rick Pitino banging his assistant coaches wife in an Italian restaurant is bullshit too. Look, it was long time ago, the people who were involved are dead, and no one can prove it, but people who knew them are still living and have no reason to lie about it.

Exactly, he was never staying at UK anyway. People act like their heritage was robbed or something, if he couldn’t handle not being the only show in town then it’s all his fault for leaving. UK always has been and always will be a basketball first school, nothing will ever change that.

If uk would win a sec title in football and compete for national titles things might change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT