ADVERTISEMENT

ignorant duke fans think they would have beat us by 15+

crazyqx83

All-American
May 2, 2004
I wont link it since its on scout... they are saying they would have won easier against us than they did against Wisconsin.

This is what truly sucks about this season. Duke gets a joke cake walk to the finals (not a single other team in the top 6 on their side of the bracket) and gets bragging rights.

We would have obliterated duke by 20 in a final. The only recipe to beat us was having a team that could put 5 players on the perimeter and Okafor sure as hell isn't that.

we played the one team we had to avoid (both from a match up and motivation standup) while they get no one in their first 5 tournament games (mind you they were blown out in their last game before the NCAAT in a virtual home game against our elite 8 opponent). Then they got a team that they matched up perfectly against who was spent from beating us.

Now they get to puff out their chest, even though the got blown out in 3 games, didn't win their conference or conference tournament and beat only one team with a pulse (on life support) on their way to a title. They were still ranked #4, #6 & #6 by the main 3 computer rankings at the end of the year. Sucks we choked, because I would have rub that slaughter we were looking at (uk-76 duke-59) in for the rest of eternity.

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
I wont link it since its on scout... they are saying they would have won easier against us than they did against Wisconsin.

This is what truly sucks about this season. Duke gets a joke cake walk to the finals (not a single other team in the top 6 on their side of the bracket) and gets bragging rights.

We would have obliterated duke by 20 in a final. The only recipe to beat us was having a team that could put 5 players on the perimeter and Okafor sure as hell isn't that.

we played the one team we had to avoid (both from a match up and motivation standup) while they get no one in their first 5 tournament games (mind you they were blown out in their last game before the NCAAT in a virtual home game against our elite 8 opponent). Then they got a team that they matched up perfectly against who was spent from beating us.

Now they get to puff out their chest, even though the got blown out in 3 games, didn't win their conference or conference tournament and beat only one team with a pulse (on life support) on their way to a title. They were still ranked #4, #6 & #6 by the main 3 computer rankings at the end of the year. Sucks we choked, because I would have rub that slaughter we were looking at (uk-76 duke-59) in for the rest of eternity.
I guess they don't remember Notre Dame knocked them out of the ACCT by double digits.

I guess they don't remember Notre Dame knocked them out of the ACCT by double digits.
Blown out in a game in greensboro.

They were so incredibly overrated. Played no one until the finals. Almost got beat by a Utah team that hadn't beat anyone all year. Gonzaga didn't beat anyone and barely played anyone (hell, they struggled to beat a team we killed by nearly 50). Then they get the sacrificial calf in the semis.

Just so painful to think about. The 5th or 6th best team in the country won the title in our year.

weren't 'Nova and Virginia were on that side of the bracket too? also, it didn't help that the Zebras took it upon themselves to curry favor with the media and the Dukies

nova and virginia on dukes side of the bracket just shows the mastery of the seeding committee.

Any basketball fan with half a brain knew neither of those teams were getting past the s16. Both were paper tigers.

Nova was overrated all year and virginia was a shell of its former self after Anderson got hurt. Add in Gonzaga in dukes region? C'mon man.

At least ul built the yum and the cats get two home games in the tourney like duke now.

weren't 'Nova and Virginia were on that side of the bracket too? also, it didn't help that the Zebras took it upon themselves to curry favor with the media and the Dukies
Nova and Virginia were terribly overrated. Nova didn't beat a single top 20 team all year and Virginia pretty much just beat notre dame and no one else. They were pretenders.

Virginia is the ultimate pretender. They will never make an elite 8 under bennett. Like tubby only sucks worse in the postseason.

The way we were playing I really can't argue with that....they are champs and have bragging rights so what can you say? We lost to a team they beat twice.

They also beat Notre Dame by 30 earlier in the year.
I think we all know what happened there.

Duke was 5-3 in their last 8 and almost lost to Georgia Tech at home the game before. notre dame goes up 6-0 in 45 seconds and voila, a touch foul on augustine.

The ACC wasn't going to let their golden child's season slip down the tubed with a 2nd home loss in 3 weeks, especially against a new addition to the conference.

The way we were playing I really can't argue with that....they are champs and have bragging rights so what can you say? We lost to a team they beat twice.

And they lost twice to notre dame. The tournament is all about matchups. And the only top 10 team they played all tournament was the perfect match up for them. I have serious doubts about their ability to even compete against zona, UK or (obviously) notre dame (away from cameron).

I think we all know what happened there.

Duke was 5-3 in their last 8 and almost lost to Georgia Tech at home the game before. notre dame goes up 6-0 in 45 seconds and voila, a touch foul on augustine.

The ACC wasn't going to let their golden child's season slip down the tubed with a 2nd home loss in 3 weeks, especially against a new addition to the conference.

You are really claiming they lost by 30 due to a foul within a minute of the game? Seriously?

And they lost twice to notre dame. The tournament is all about matchups. And the only top 10 team they played all tournament was the perfect match up for them. I have serious doubts about their ability to even compete against zona, UK or (obviously) notre dame (away from cameron).

And we nearly lost to notre dame, and they crushed notre dame, and they won the title...sorry but what else is there to say? Sour grapes here.

They're the champs, they get to do what they want. it just makes you look petty at this point.

uhh, remember, Vegas, and officials could have easily made Dook win by 15.

It all boiled down to the THREE straight shot clock violations and turnover with NOT TIMEOUT being called by our coach and that damn stall ball tactics by Cal at the end of games...

Reactions: brianpoe
You're crazy if you think the Shot Clock Violation didn't mind-f&%k our team. It's not easy to come back from such a bad call. It wrecks a team that is barely out of HS.

Oh well. I really take solace in the fact that Coach K is winding down.. yes despite this championship. There is now WAY Duke will get such a great coach who can ALSO work the refs and the NCAA like he does..

We beat Wisconsin 7 out of 10 times.

We beat Duke 8 out of 10, maybe 9. They match up horribly against us.

Unfortunately Wisconsin won 1 of their 3 games against us that night. It's so depressing to think about.

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
51279093.jpg

It all boiled down to the THREE straight shot clock violations and turnover with NOT TIMEOUT being called by our coach and that damn stall ball tactics by Cal at the end of games...

Lol...this is stupid. It wasn't stall ball! It was a failure of the players not executing their coaches instructions which was to get the ball to Karl on the post on every possession. For whatever reason they did their own thing.

Eh, some fans say stupid stuff. Anyone confident that Duke would beat Kentucky by any number of points is just being silly.

Duke beat Wisconsin because of quicker and superior perimeter play, despite the fact that Wisconsin was an overall better team Duke had a matchup advantage they could exploit. They would not have any advantage against UK, who could defend them on the perimeter and contain Okafor...still it would have been a good game and a real shame it didn't happen.

Duke struggled against teams which could match or contain their perimeter threats while defending Okafor 1v1 and were able to score, like ND and UNC. They lost 2 of 3 to ND and UNC if they didn't choke could have very easily won both home/away vs Duke.

But Notre Dame also beat them big during the regular season. They split in regular season, but ND won the ACCT game easily
The game at ND was close, came down to last 5 minutes, but the game at Duke was a blowout because they got Augustine in foul trouble and then ND was forced to double team Okafor who just kept passing out of it for wide open three after wide open three.

You can't give Duke totally uncontested shots at home and hope for a good outcome.

UK would not have needed to double team Okafor, had one of the better perimeter defenses in the country with the improved quickness and length of Harrisons and pesky Ullis.... Grayson Allen probably doesn't score 2 points in a UK final

Lol...this is stupid. It wasn't stall ball! It was a failure of the players not executing their coaches instructions which was to get the ball to Karl on the post on every possession. For whatever reason they did their own thing.
Please quit saying that, it makes you seem as though you know nothing about basketball. If it were the players not doing their job, Cal would have called a timeout, ok? Is that not obvious? So, Cal just stood over there possession after possession while nobody listened to him and just decided well, I do not think I will call a timeout and fix this; yea buddy.

Reactions: brianpoe
I watched Duke beat Louisville on their home floor a lot easier than UK did so it would have been a close game. No way to know the answer so not worth arguing over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT