ADVERTISEMENT

If you went to UK …

Fraternities/sororities are mostly fine (was in a frat, not at UK) but people who made it their whole personality were annoying. People created stupid rivalries and got into it waaay too much. A lot of people lost common decency towards others. In rare instances in became cult-like - if you weren't ALL the way in, GTFO basically.

My experience wasn't like that. I never felt like I had to conform or be anything I wasn't. Sororities, though, idk. They seemed crazy.

I joined a fraternity my sophomore year (BGSU). I didn't wnat it to be my major identity, so waitied until my sophomore year so I could establish friendships outside of it. I had a lot of friends in and out of the fraternity. I enjoyed most aspects of it and really enjoyed the intramural sports portion of it as fraternity leagues at BGSU were very competitive and a big part of fraternity life on campus.

Not against them, just seemed like a money pit that I didn't have the $ for. They seemed to be fun. Plus I had a good number of home area guys to hang with.

Now GD is at a college where she had no hometown contacts/friends. Plus she's somewhat nerdy. She quickly joined sorority & loves it.

1. The way bidding works is you go around to meet the different fraternities, find the ones you like, and hope you get a bid from said fraternities. It's an invitation to join. By the end of the week you decide what bid you want to accept.
  2. When we are deciding who gets in, we pretty much give a huge benefit of the doubt to a guy whose dad was a legacy. When I joined my fraternity, my dad asked me why I didn't join the one he was in instead. I said, "cause you never told me what fraternity you were in". But the overwhelming majority of people were not legacies.
  3. The way we decided who gets in - at least in my fraternity - was that we'd all sit in a room, somebody would say, "I nominate RogueMocha". Then three other people would have to vouch for him. Then we'd vote. If one person voted 'no' he wouldn't get in. But you could nominate him again later that night. Simple process. Sometimes if a dude really wanted a guy in and he was getting voted down, he'd do something crazy to show how committed he was to get the guy in. For example, I saw a guy put out a cigarette on his arm to get a guy in. Sounds stupid, but it was funny at the time.
  4. Other than during pledgeship, which is really short now, there was never a push to get people to conform. We did look down upon dudes with earrings. But who wants to hang out with guys with earrings anyway?
  5. People brought their buds who were not in the frat around all the time. Other than fraternity sponsored formals and date parties, you were always welcome to have your friends hang out.
Overall, at least with mine, it was just like a large social club. All the stereotypes were usually from people who had a bad perception of fraternities. I'd recommend it to any college guy - but I'd recommend he take rush seriously to know if he likes the guys he's thinking about joining.
Damn, I would hate to think I’d have to await approval to join a service/social house on campus. Now if it was to make business connections—I get that, I guess. I guess I always felt I belonged socially no matter where I went. If they seemed like Delta Bravos. or snobs—I would leave.

Same with girls. I hardly asked any out. They’d have to come to me or show interest first.

Last edited:
Oh good god.

It’s true. Maybe I wasn’t the dashing romantic I thought I was, but I had dates and made plenty of friends. I was told about the frat experience from quite a few folks who were involved. I guess I figured “why the hell would I want to do that?”

Btw: I like you, and sounds like we’re politically on the same level. I don’t want to ruin a good thing.

Btw:I’m not a fan of being exclusive. I don’t want to be part of any “inner circle” or whatever because I think it’s just not me. Hell, I’d love to spend time with the People of Walmart.

Last edited:
Btw:I’m not a fan of being exclusive. I don’t want to be part of any “inner circle” or whatever because I think it’s just not me. Hell, I’d love to spend time with the People of Walmart.

This site has a glitch. I am assuming this was the dumb comment you made before editing it to the dumb farmhouse comment. You are trying waaaay to hard. 🤦‍♂️

Got passed over for a bid?

Never tried. Had good friends in several, with a couple of them repeatedly asking me to join them. I just wasn't interested. My older brother was in one at UK and loved it. I had a very tough double major and didn't have the time.

When I was there there was a few sayings

Delta Tau Delta had best drugs
Sigma Chi had best women at parties
SAEs were biggest douchbags
KAs were racist
Sigma Kappas were weirdos

I went there 93 thru 98

When I went to UK, Farmhouse was known for having good grades. I didn't join, didn't really know about it or have the money to join. I paid my own way and worked 3 jobs. My wife was in a sorority. Both of my kids graduated from UK and were in sorority/fraternity. Daughter was president and said it was the worst year of her life. I was a houseboy for Alpha Gam, it was a great gig. Got some beer money and 95% of my meals. One of my roommates was a houseboy with me and met his future wife.

I pledged. I was all about that shit. Frat parties were fun. They helped me fail out of school.

Having said that, complete wase of time.

The stuff about networking and success is bullshit. You know how to network and be successful? Talk to people and deliver value.

When I was there there was a few sayings

Delta Tau Delta had best drugs
Sigma Chi had best women at parties
SAEs were biggest douchbags
KAs were racist
Sigma Kappas were weirdos

I went there 93 thru 98
My brother was a Sigma Pi. I think they lost their charter

My brother was a Sigma Pi. I think they lost their charter
I don't remember them. I was there mid 90s. I know Sigma Nu lost charter around then.

I just know. Delts and Sigma Chi were the party rich kids ....... SAE and Pikes were the "popular" kids. That's likely completely turned by now and it's something totally different. I'm old ots been 30 years lol..

I was in a frat my freshman year (78-79). Party frat. It was fun but no way would I spend all 4 years as a member. I found out quickly that I didn't need a frat to party and/or meet women. Frats were wildly popular back then because Animal House had just been released in 78.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I don't remember them. I was there mid 90s. I know Sigma Nu lost charter around then.

I just know. Delts and Sigma Chi were the party rich kids ....... SAE and Pikes were the "popular" kids. That's likely completely turned by now and it's something totally different. I'm old ots been 30 years lol..
I crashed a Sigma Nu party when I was in HS lol. I think they were on Rose Ln. that was my first experience with Jumgle Juice

Reactions: L.O.D.
I crashed a Sigma Nu party when I was in HS lol. I think they were on Rose Ln. that was my first experience with Jumgle Juice
The annual Sigma Nu beer blast was one of the best parties of the year during my days at UK. Something like 100 kegs.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
I was in a frat my freshman year (78-79). Party frat. It was fun but no way would I spend all 4 years as a member. I found out quickly that I didn't need a frat to party and/or meet women. Frats were wildly popular back then because Animal House had just been released in 78.
I bet that was an awesome time to be at UK.

I was there in the late 90's... freshman year and the first part of sophomore year were bonkers. Then the Watts DD thing happened and the party was over.

I bet that was an awesome time to be at UK.

I was there in the late 90's... freshman year and the first part of sophomore year were bonkers. Then the Watts DD thing happened and the party was over.
Wish I could have been there for the 78 title game but I was finishing up high school at the time. The celebration was still going strong when I got there in August.

• Haha
Reactions: WayneDougan
I grew up in Lexington so when I went to UK I had a bunch of friends both at UK and around town. Didn't really see the appeal in a frat. A bunch of my buddies joined them and my gf was in a sorority so I ended up at half their parties and functions anyway.

Mid to late 90's as well. That Jason Watts thing changed the whole vibe. IFC actually started checking on stuff.

I came from out of state not knowing a soul in the state of KY, so it was a hugely beneficial decision for me. I have one close friend from HS now, and all the rest are guys I met there.

Mid to late 90's as well. That Jason Watts thing changed the whole vibe. IFC actually started checking on stuff.

I came from out of state not knowing a soul in the state of KY, so it was a hugely beneficial decision for me. I have one close friend from HS now, and all the rest are guys I met there.
That Watts thing was bullshit. IIRC, dude was over 21, was drinking at a bar, off campus, and then went to a house that was part of the bar. Then they went deer hunting at 4 AM and that's when the accident occurred. It had nothing to do with UK house parties.

The kid that died in that crash was in my very small English class (old King library, 3rd floor 🤮). Bet there weren’t 20 people in it. I remember a rose being left on his chair desktop our next class after his death.

And since very few have actually answered the question, I’ll go with Lambda Chi (in fairness, my old frat would get lots of votes as well).

The kid that died in that crash was in my very small English class (old King library, 3rd floor 🤮). Bet there weren’t 20 people in it. I remember a rose being left on his chair desktop our next class after his death.

And since very few have actually answered the question, I’ll go with Lambda Chi (in fairness, my old frat would get lots of votes as well).
I was a Kappa Sig at UK and was my get away from football spot. Still have brothers that have been best friends throughout my life. Wife was a Kappa Delta at Western. Think I would have got burned out on football without them.

Reactions: WayneDougan
I was a Kappa Sig at UK and was my get away from football spot. Still have brothers that have been best friends throughout my life. Wife was a Kappa Delta at Western. Think I would have got burned out on football without them.

Nothing was funnier / more humbling to me than when UK athletes joined our fraternity and ever so often showed us why they were D1 SEC athletes. I thought I was a good athlete in college - led our fraternity to championships in football and softball. We had a guy on the baseball team come out and play flag football with us one time. He looked like the second coming of a roided up Ben Johnson out there just flying around.

The best athlete in my fraternity played D1 basketball the previous year and then transferred to UK. He would spot me 7 pts when we played 1-1 to 10. I would typically lose like 10-8. If I ever got to 9 he'd take it to another level. And he'd rather kill you than let you get 10. Funny thing, he played against Wojo the previous year and said he was the strongest MFer he ever went up against.

I did a year at a different school and signed up for intramural softball. Same team also had some guys who had finished their baseball eligibility and were finishing degrees. Making a play with these guys felt like a survival situation. It was amazing how hard they could throw.

• Haha
Reactions: UK-chulo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT