ADVERTISEMENT

If you went to UK …

Personally, I considered all of them dumb. Frat brats, not my thing.

My brother was a Sigma Nu his first year. One of his friends came up to visit that was still in high school. One of the frat guys picked a fight with my brothers friend. My brother immediately went to his friends aid. The frat guys told my brother "its your frat bros or that guy" and he walked out and never went back.

Personally, I considered all of them dumb. Frat brats, not my thing.

Same.

I found it as a mix of the “cool guys” from high school wanting to hold on to the glory days a little longer or the biggest dorks from high school wanting a clean slate and a chance to become a “cool guy” in college.

The cliques were dumb too. Can’t associate with this guy because the Greek letters on his shirt are different than the letters on mine. It was like little gangs but with country club memberships. I shared an apartment with a buddy who was in a frat. His little buddies were extremely annoying.

The concept of paying for friends, but first getting hazed for a semester, seemed stupid to me.

I Cramda Pi
I Phelta Thi

Any Frat or Sorority. I'm sure this thread will end up in a fierce debate. I just chose to save my money, the time commitments required of my major wasn't conducive to frat life. Plus, I wasn't a real fan of khakis or polos at the time.

I remember a kid from a small town who was having a rough time transitioning to college and was seriously depressed. He joined the then outcast fraternity on campus (off campus) and it was really a boost to him to have that community. The pendulum swung a bit to him being a cocky ass for a while, but I think the frat may have kept him from self harm. I don’t know if he made it through college, but I thought that was one positive for Greek life.

Reactions: vhcat70
I remember a kid from a small town who was having a rough time transitioning to college and was seriously depressed. He joined the then outcast fraternity on campus (off campus) and it was really a boost to him to have that community. The pendulum swung a bit to him being a cocky ass for a while, but I think the frat may have kept him from self harm. I don’t know if he made it through college, but I thought that was one positive for Greek life.

Did his professor constantly offer peppermints to everyone?

Same.

I found it as a mix of the “cool guys” from high school wanting to hold on to the glory days a little longer or the biggest dorks from high school wanting a clean slate and a chance to become a “cool guy” in college.

The cliques were dumb too. Can’t associate with this guy because the Greek letters on his shirt are different than the letters on mine. It was like little gangs but with country club memberships. I shared an apartment with a buddy who was in a frat. His little buddies were extremely annoying.

The concept of paying for friends, but first getting hazed for a semester, seemed stupid to me.
Probably goes deeper than just buying friends.
The frat/sorority system tries to keep wealth with wealth. Friendships, cliques, dating relationships etc.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Nothing wrong with the idea of them, the execution can leave some questions though. But for someone from out of state trying to meet people and make friends I totally get it.

And as some said as well, they are good at getting people jobs and promotions through connections in some cases.

I moved from Etown to Lexington with like 40+ friends for college so I didn’t see the point.

Reactions: justa
I worked the entire time I was in college so I didn’t ever really interact with fraternities except during classes. The only other time was at football games and the frat guys just came to socialize. After they started moving around we would just move down to the lowest seats and watch the game. Basketball games were fine because you rarely saw them there.

Wasn't my scene, but I never found them to be especially dumb as a group. Occasionally super drunk and beligerent, but I doubt there are many non-frat people that I can't say that about. College of Ed. and College of Fine Arts just wasn't a frat/sorority hotspot.

I wonder what the divorce rate is for marriages where frats and sorority chicks hooked up? 73 percent? 80 percent?

Haggin... then Greg Page... I also bartended at TW Lee's (corner or Richmond and New Circle) and met a ton of folks... never had a need to join a frat.

Seems like ATO had a lot of big parties. There were some guys from SAE? That were on my dorm floor. They seemed to goof off a lot. Don’t know what their grades were like.

I wonder what the divorce rate is for marriages where frats and sorority chicks hooked up? 73 percent? 80 percent?
Mine's still going just fine as are most of my buddies. In fact, I'd say that of the 35 or so guys in my pledge class, around 10 married their college sweetheart who was in a sorority, and all of them are still married.

At UK 70-74 and it seemed to be the “better freak than Greek” era. At that time, the appeal and popularity of Greek life were down. I encountered very few folks who were members and don’t recall anything about them being much different than anyone else on campus. However, I lived off campus and wasn’t around it socially.

Last edited:
Mine's still going just fine as are most of my buddies. In fact, I'd say that of the 35 or so guys in my pledge class, around 10 married their college sweetheart who was in a sorority, and all of them are still married.
I forgot about the Stepford syndrome. My oversight.

Here's why it was good to be in a fraternity. It was my second week at school at UK and I had just received my bid. In Calculus class I sat down next to this attractive Tri-Delt. She was blowing off my advances when I mentioned what fraternity I was in. Her face instantly lit up and a week later she invited me to one of her sorority's date parties. It was a fun night. :cool:

Did 18-year old Wayne like attractive girls who were shallow? Hell yeah he did.

Somebody is butthurt about successful marriages?
I guess it depends on your definition of successful. I was running on the stereotype that if you mix a Delta Bravo with a high-maintenance chick it wouldnt work. It’s fun mental gymnastics, and it gives me a stiffy to be frank. I was at UK and knew a few guys in frats, but was turned off by the whole conforming thing.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter. Divorce rate is high because people don’t work their shit out.

Anyway, how does this “bid” thing work? Is it Lrey Kroeger being admitted because you need the dues, but Flounder is a reject legacy from Harrisburg? I would be a legacy in two frats at UK, but tbh, none of it made any sense to me.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your definition of successful. I was running on the stereotype that if you mix a Delta Bravo with a high-maintenance chick it wouldnt work. It’s fun mental gymnastics, and it gives me a stiffy to be frank.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter. Divorce rate is high because people don’t work their shit out.
Well when Chad or Jenny (I’ve been Chad in this circumstance before without knowing) from high school is being all sweet on the socials and your partner is being a dick it’s way easier to find someone being nice and telling you things will be okay than it was if you lived in Upton and things weren’t going well in the 70-80s.

That’s definitely part of it. Also, no one is willing to do anything that’s “hard” or “difficult” anymore, like work through problems. If it’s not foot rubs, champagne and perfect temps no one wants to do it.

^Also a reason why if you want to put in hard work and make a decent living you can startup a lawn/yard service for relatively cheap, no one will do it anymore.

We, as teenagers, used to do shitty like shoveling snow, cutting grass, leaves out of gutters, clean out the garage, etc no you can’t find someone to do it and most teenagers sure as hell aren’t asking to do it to make money like we used to.

Too many notifications on the phone and iPad to go outside.

I guess it depends on your definition of successful. I was running on the stereotype that if you mix a Delta Bravo with a high-maintenance chick it wouldnt work. It’s fun mental gymnastics, and it gives me a stiffy to be frank. I was at UK and knew a few guys in frats, but was turned off by the whole conforming thing.

Anyway, how does this “bid” thing work? Is it Lrey Kroeger being admitted because you need the dues, but Flounder is a reject legacy from Harrisburg? I would be a legacy in two frats at UK, but tbh, none of it made any sense to me.

Well, you hit on a stat and an assumption, but when that did not work, you snarked about Stepford syndrome. Seems personal to you. And, I don’t care if both of your dads were in frats. Irrelevant.

Well, you hit on a stat and an assumption, but when that did not work, you snarked about Stepford syndrome. Seems personal to you. And, I don’t care if both of your dads were in frats. Irrelevant.
Not personal at all. Just going on a stereotype and having fun with it. I’m happily married, btw. I mean yeah, I have to drink some listening juice when she unloads her problems on me, but otherwise still going on. Heck..Stepford might work. I’m definitely old school in mind when it comes to marriage. When I walk in the door, I expect slippers, my pipe and comfortable chair.

Have a Snickers

Joined one (non-UK) and it wasn’t for me. Lived at home and many acted like spoiled rich kids and got butthurt/whined when I didn’t hang out with them every weekend. Had other social circles and worked part-time. Luckily got a DUI and got kicked out of the frat before graduation.

My friends at UK joked about that, apparently their frats don’t kick people out for that otherwise the frat might not exist.

“Both my dads”

point-hehe.gif

1. The way bidding works is you go around to meet the different fraternities, find the ones you like, and hope you get a bid from said fraternities. It's an invitation to join. By the end of the week you decide what bid you want to accept.
  2. When we are deciding who gets in, we pretty much give a huge benefit of the doubt to a guy whose dad was a legacy. When I joined my fraternity, my dad asked me why I didn't join the one he was in instead. I said, "cause you never told me what fraternity you were in". But the overwhelming majority of people were not legacies.
  3. The way we decided who gets in - at least in my fraternity - was that we'd all sit in a room, somebody would say, "I nominate RogueMocha". Then three other people would have to vouch for him. Then we'd vote. If one person voted 'no' he wouldn't get in. But you could nominate him again later that night. Simple process. Sometimes if a dude really wanted a guy in and he was getting voted down, he'd do something crazy to show how committed he was to get the guy in. For example, I saw a guy put out a cigarette on his arm to get a guy in. Sounds stupid, but it was funny at the time.
  4. Other than during pledgeship, which is really short now, there was never a push to get people to conform. We did look down upon dudes with earrings. But who wants to hang out with guys with earrings anyway?
  5. People brought their buds who were not in the frat around all the time. Other than fraternity sponsored formals and date parties, you were always welcome to have your friends hang out.
Overall, at least with mine, it was just like a large social club. All the stereotypes were usually from people who had a bad perception of fraternities. I'd recommend it to any college guy - but I'd recommend he take rush seriously to know if he likes the guys he's thinking about joining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT