ADVERTISEMENT

If Stoops Succeeds at UK - Will He Stay?

Nov 11, 2014
I honestly believe Stoops will take us to bowl games the remainder of his seasons at UK, including this season.

If he takes us to future bowls and starts signing consistent, top 25 recruiting classes, that probably means we will become a solid mid-tier SEC team and occasionally challenge for the SEC East championship.

Two years from now, if we've attended two bowls, and recruiting continues the upward trajectory, will Stoops stay in Lexington? Is it always about money? Or would some people these days actually like to build a life and community in one place?

There might be offers for more money elsewhere, but I predict Stoops stays at UK at least ten years because I genuinely believe he and his family like Lexington a lot. You saw what Coach Marrow said about BBN. He loves it here. I think we have a special opportunity to keep a good coach for the long-haul.

As commented in another thread:

Never over look the competition from brothers. The Stoop boys are a competitive group of siblings. This might play a defining role if Mark stays at UK. One takes a traditional power football team to coach that is down and the other takes over a nothing team to coach in a better league. Talking, Mark and Bob. Mike is still not a head coach yet.

They all want to win in the family.

Short answer: We have no idea. And anyone that believes they know for sure is wrong.

Long answer: If he is successful, then we ALL want him to stay. Nothing would give the fanbase more pleasure than if CMS becomes our version of Bowden or Paterno.

Other notes: There are some indications that he could stay, however.
1st - Why UK? He was one of the hottest DC's in the country. He could've gone to a proven winning program almost anywhere. Why did he choose a historically poor football program at a basketball school in the toughest conference in America? And, he's the one that sought us out? The only answers are that he wanted a much tougher challenge to cut his head coaching teeth.......and/or he wanted to build and stay at a program from near scratch.

2nd - Stoops boys stay put. Bob has been at OU forever.....and likely won't leave until they kick him out. He has turned down many NFL offers through the yrs.....and other offers from other colleges. Mike was HC at Arizona for 7 yrs.....and still would likely be there had they not let him go. So, this could be an indication of Mark's intentions.

3rd - He's close to home state of Ohio.

Prediction:
He wins. He tells mb he wants upgrades to match facilities with top tier SEC schools in order to make it to the next level. Is told no money is available due to pay raises of coaches in unnecessary sports. Leaves for crappy big 10 school like Indiana where he wins conference. osu, coming off probation and following u meyer's announcement that he is giving up coaching in order to spend more time with his family, offers Stoops job. Stoops wins nc.

Obviously this is purely a guessing topic but just to throw my two cents in, no, if he has success at UK he will not stay. The main reason I say that is that I had sources tell me he was very interested in the Michigan job last year after Michigan started gathering information in case all of their other targets turned them down. It was pretty clear that Harbaugh was their guy but I heard when Stoops was asked if he would have interest in the position, he was very intrigued and would have taken it if offered. Just what I heard and I believe I posted as much during Michigan's coaching search.

Obviously this is purely a guessing topic but just to throw my two cents in, no, if he has success at UK he will not stay. The main reason I say that is that I had sources tell me he was very interested in the Michigan job last year after Michigan started gathering information in case all of their other targets turned them down. It was pretty clear that Harbaugh was their guy but I heard when Stoops was asked if he would have interest in the position, he was very intrigued and would have taken it if offered. Just what I heard and I believe I posted as much during Michigan's coaching search.

You may be right. In fact, this scenario or one similar just as easily fits ul.

Good problem to have, I'll gladly hope that we have to grapple with this possibility in coming years.

UK has tons of money, if they want to keep him, then Money shouldn't be the issue.

My gut says that he doesn't leave to go to a place like Virginia Tech or Illinois or Wisconsin, but he'd sure as hell be tempted by Ohio State or Michigan or Notre Dame. That's college football royalty.

It's all fun to speculate, but let's be honest here. We all want him to stay......if he's successful......but history tells us that he will likely move on to a bigger program.

It's all fun to speculate, but let's be honest here. We all want him to stay......if he's successful......but history tells us that he will likely move on to a bigger program.
It is all about personal character. Stoops doesn't seem like the individual that would back away from his commitment from others. Marrow commitment to void Mich out of his life seems like a clue to me.

I'd like to see him succeed on the field first. Moving in the right direction, obviously, but not going to worry about him leaving until he becomes a hot commodity.

I'll throw my two cents. I think, and this is just a guess, if Stoops win 8-9 games consistently with an occasional SEC championship I truly believes he stays. He could become a legend here. Shoot, he could have the stadium named after him. I honestly think he loves it here and the fact that he sought this job out speaks volumes. Now, will other teams come after him if he the success that I hope he does, absolutely. Then, it will be up to Mitch to show his true commitment to football if he pays him to stay.

I honestly believe Stoops will take us to bowl games the remainder of his seasons at UK, including this season.

If he takes us to future bowls and starts signing consistent, top 25 recruiting classes, that probably means we will become a solid mid-tier SEC team and occasionally challenge for the SEC East championship.

Two years from now, if we've attended two bowls, and recruiting continues the upward trajectory, will Stoops stay in Lexington? Is it always about money? Or would some people these days actually like to build a life and community in one place?

There might be offers for more money elsewhere, but I predict Stoops stays at UK at least ten years because I genuinely believe he and his family like Lexington a lot. You saw what Coach Marrow said about BBN. He loves it here. I think we have a special opportunity to keep a good coach for the long-haul.
I agree we are at a point on the improvement curve where Stoops will be taking us to bowl games regularly, including this year. This means other schools will try to hire him, just like schools try to hire other successful coaches. That's the way the coaching market works. People can say whatever they want, but I don't think anyone knows whether Stoops will stay forever at Kentucky. My opinion is that Stoops will lean toward staying at Kentucky, and Barnhart will be aggressive with contract revisions and future raises. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 other schools that could truly temp Stoops. However, if the Ohio State job comes open, we would be naive to think that would not temp him.

Last edited:
"Charlie Strong will never leave UofL for Texas!"

Good problem to have, I'll gladly hope that we have to grapple with this possibility in coming years.

UK has tons of money, if they want to keep him, then Money shouldn't be the issue.

My gut says that he doesn't leave to go to a place like Virginia Tech or Illinois or Wisconsin, but he'd sure as hell be tempted by Ohio State or Michigan or Notre Dame. That's college football royalty.

Mich only offered a position he already had UK.
I'd like to see him succeed on the field first. Moving in the right direction, obviously, but not going to worry about him leaving until he becomes a hot commodity.
Let's worry about 2015.

Let's get that 2015 year done. Then we talk.

[QUOTE Mich only offered a position he already had UK. [/QUOTE]

What? I'm a little confused by the wording? Are you suggesting that Michigan offered Stoops? Cause, that couldn't be more wrong. He didn't even make their short list before they offered anyone.

With the facilities upgrade and the uptick in recruiting...the $$$$$$$$ people need to step up and make sure that only one of the big boys can come calling if he is successful...then you do what you can ...if this pans out people across the country about this fab base and its love for football...GOCATS!!!

I'll throw my two cents. I think, and this is just a guess, if Stoops win 8-9 games consistently with an occasional SEC championship I truly believes he stays. He could become a legend here. Shoot, he could have the stadium named after him. I honestly think he loves it here and the fact that he sought this job out speaks volumes. Now, will other teams come after him if he the success that I hope he does, absolutely. Then, it will be up to Mitch to show his true commitment to football if he pays him to stay.
Once again...It will NOT be up to Mitch... it will be up to the$$$$$$ to pay him as much as the basketball coach makes...Matt Jones...Oscar Combs and thosee folks would be up in arms...

Regardless he is a UofLsucksville fan and who really cares what he thinks or what his opinion is on anything with our program. We're on the rise and looserville is headed towards being a middle of the pack ACC team.
Maybe he thinks you are somebody else too. Da thinks he knows who everyone is.

He can be bigger than UK football. He can't be bigger than the football programs at bigger ones.

Another disappointing season in Norman and the brothers Bob and Mike might be on the job market.
That's theoretically true for about half the coaches in the country. Bob Stoops won the national championship and the Paul Bryant Award in 2000. In 2003, he won the Walter Camp Coach of the Year Award. Oklahoma beat the daylights out of Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl and finished #6 in the final 2013 AP poll. Most coaches never come close to those accomplishments. You are right that Bob Stoops is reported to be on the hot seat by at least 1 local TV sports department in the Norman area. The Sooners got crushed by Clemson in the Citrus Bowl last December, which did not sit very well. And if the Sooners lay an egg this year, the natives may get restless. But if I was Joe Castiglione, I would think very carefully before firing Bob Stoops, because things were pretty bad in Norman before Stoops took the job there. Unless Castiglione has a superstar replacement lined up, he might be better off to be patient with the Stoops brothers.

Where's the best place to report stalkers? I told you I'm not into that stuff, BD.
Of course you are. You have shown that in previous posts that any mod can easily find. And for the sake of discussion, let's say for a moment that anyone else actually cared what you think of other posters here. Which they don't. You still have no clue who other posters on this board really are, and your attacks distract the threads from what they are meant to discuss. Da.

I don't understand why people think he would leave for some of the schools mentioned. I actually believe if UK becomes a mid tier, solid SEC team, there will be no more passionate fanbase in the country. The money will follow.....I only see a handful of jobs he would even consider. I don't believe UK will always be a basketball-first school if UK becomes a real SEC football program. The fans will be just as passionate for football.

Of course you are. You have shown that in previous posts that any mod can easily find. And for the sake of discussion, let's say for a moment that anyone else actually cared what you think of other posters here. Which they don't. You still have no clue who other posters on this board really are, and your attacks distract the threads from what they are meant to discuss. Da.
I'm very sensitive... you're just a meany... Guess I'll just have to run to another board, change my name, and make up shit...

Once again...It will NOT be up to Mitch... it will be up to the$$$$$$ to pay him as much as the basketball coach makes...Matt Jones...Oscar Combs and thosee folks would be up in arms...
I assume you are being sarcastic. Barnhart and President Capilouto are calling the shots, and they won't let Mark Stoops get away if they can do anything to keep him. As long as the success curve continues, money won't be a problem. They have already renovated the stadium and put in a new pay scale for Stoops' assistant coaches, and that's after only 7 total wins in 2013-14. When the bowl bids start coming again, other schools will try to hire Stoops away, but Barnhart will do what is necessary to keep Stoops in Lexington. There are probably only 2-3 schools in the country that we have to worry about, and those jobs probably won't be open in the near future.

Why even carry on this conversation. Coach and his staff are already racking up in the 2017 class. His new football complex is still a year away from being finished......the man is more vested in this program then homegrown joker was. Give it a rest and enjoy all the positives instead of dwelling on this bs.

Reactions: ukfanjh

Any coach that can consistently win 7 Football games at Kentucky should make AT LEAST as much as
Cal or any other bball coach they might have. Being a power in bball is nice, but it's Football that gets the nation's attention. Sorta like comparing being governor to being potus.

ADVERTISEMENT