ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal leaves after this season…

Not saying who I'd want, just thougts on who is out there.

Bruce Pearl. He'd kill it here imo, but he's no spring chicken but if we could get 7-8 years out of him I think he'd do great. But that said, he'd never be hired here. But I once thought that of Cal. BP has the exact personality that is need to thrive here. Energy. Passion. Recruiter.

Scott Drew. If Mitch is making the call, imo it's to Drew. Low key kind of guy to Mitch's liking.

I'm intrigued by Dusty May but have to use caution to go for the latest up and comer.

Tommy Lloyd. I don't know much about him but seems like he can recruit.

Donovan. No thank you.

IDK who else.

I think Drew would do well here. He fits the mold of the type of coach you would want having won a title already.

Lloyd comes up a ton but he hasn't done well in the ncaa tourney so far. If cal stays another few years (hope not), maybe by then he has made a final four or at least a couple of elite 8s.

Reactions: NociHTTP and jedwar
I would like someone hungry and is a fighter maybe not as seasoned as some of you want but shows knowledge and creative X & O's. Anyone at this point as I am tired a being an NBA training program. Someone to inspire a little loyalty and pride for the University onto the players and not rip up scholarships would be welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACTSEAN and KFuqua
Dis guy.... he's livin' the Harrogate life right now, but I think for $200K and a nice double wide with an above ground pool and gravel driveway, we could.reel him in. 🤔

I'm going to say a few things a few won't like, not even me. But, the elephant in the room is us (The fanbase). Calipari isn't winning another title here. After watching last night's game, this team is softer than Hello Kitty. Asking for extended rest!? Are you kidding me guys!? This team asking for days off is the reason they're so soft. I'm not defending Calipari because if I paid someone 9 million a year to be mediore, you better believe I'm going to be critical of the person. Calipari pretends to love the Kentucky program because if he did, he wouldn't be making excuses.

No young coach will come here because of the expectations. Yes, I would love to see a deep run in the tourney or a title every 2 to 3 years myself, but that's me speaking in a somewhat selfish tone and before anyone attempts to decry my selfish tone, you're guilty as well 😏

As a diehard fan myself, if I was a coach watching Kentucky, I would question if it's worth it.

I’m just afraid if Cal leaves Mitch will hire another Billy G. That cannot happen…. As far as candidates go my short list would be

Scott Drew
Vogel
Billy Donovan ( long shot )
Brad Steven’s ( probably won’t happen )
Bruce Pearl
Rick Pitino ( no chance but it’s okay to dream )
Hurley

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm going to say a few things a few won't like, not even me. But, the elephant in the room is us (The fanbase). Calipari isn't winning another title here. After watching last night's game, this team is softer than Hello Kitty. Asking for extended rest!? Are you kidding me guys!? This team asking for days off is the reason they're so soft. I'm not defending Calipari because if I paid someone 9 million a year to be mediore, you better believe I'm going to be critical of the person. Calipari pretends to love the Kentucky program because if he did, he wouldn't be making excuses.

No young coach will come here because of the expectations. Yes, I would love to see a deep run in the tourney or a title every 2 to 3 years myself, but that's me speaking in a somewhat selfish tone and before anyone attempts to decry my selfish tone, you're guilty as well 😏

As a diehard fan myself, if I was a coach watching Kentucky, I would question if it's worth it.
Luckily our expectations have dropped quite a bit in the last 7 years or so.

Reactions: TM2013

I don’t think it would be as hard to come in behind Cal especially his last few years. We are the what have you done lately fans, and if a young guy comes he can’t do much worse then his last 4 years. IMO

Reactions: TM2013 and jedwar
Bruce Pearl, maybe the USCjr coach, otherwise I don't give a
dgrr4pg-bbc3b75b-5517-4a7c-9525-8acf3aa03894.jpg

you people are nuts.... one game and we go from we can win it all to get rid of the guy...

Bipolar disorder runs rampant in this fanbase. An old coach of mine used to always say “We ain’t as good as we were in our best win, we ain’t as bad as we were in out worst loss. We’re always somewhere in the middle and can always get better.”

As for speculation, I would prefer someone somewhat established who can bot only coach basketball, but who can also handle all the outside responsibilities this job requires. Our last alleged Xs and Os guru was an absolute failure at every other aspect of this job. My choice would be Scott Drew. Not super sexy, but solid.

you people are nuts.... one game and we go from we can win it all to get rid of the guy...
for me, its not one game. I was never a fan of Coach Cal. I just don't like what he has built, I don't even know what happened last night, I didn't watch, which speaks to what I think about him. I will never be a fan of coach who openly states, its not my job to win games. ( yes he has said that on record and stated his job was to help athletes reach their dreams) I want a coach that cares as much about winning as he does getting kids to the league. I don't want a NBA prep team that completely overhauls each year, has no culture other than one and done and who may win games, but underachieves year in and year out. I will admit this year has been more fun, but its ultimately showing the same issues we have year in and year out. I also do not think Coach Cal is a great in game coach, and that has long been a national critique for him. I'm not stating he isn't a good college coach, I'm not trying to make it personal or to insult him, he is just not what I would want for UK personally. In some ways he is great, he does prepare his players well for the future, no denying that, but winning big games and competing for national titles does and should matter. Just how I feel.

Luckily our expectations have dropped quite a bit in the last 7 years or so.
I love Kentucky basketball like everyone else on this board, but I won't ignore or make excuses for Calipari. He's been here for 14 years with one title and all of that talent to show for it.

Calipari would have already been fired with any other team.

You're probably right, especially now that he already has a title, but it does happen. Pitino was a New England guy and came down here.
Because coaching UK, at least at the Time Pitino came here was like coaching football at Alabama. At one time it was the pinnacle of coaching in College, and some might argue the sport in general. Maybe it's lost some of that luster, but the allure of returning UK to it's rightful throne, much like when Saban took over Alabama 18 years ago, might make a guy like Hurley consider it.

But It's all hypothetical, Cal's not leaving.

Not everyone said they could win it all because the defense has been the worst I have ever seen. Pitino realized it takes defense to win 6 games straight.
So I have to ask.......
How many games between FF is acceptable?
How many years between SEC season or tournament champions is acceptable?
How far down in the SEC standings is acceptable?
How many home losses to inferior teams is acceptable?
Just trying to understand when you think a coach should be sent packing.

I think a young/hungry coach would be licking his chops looking at us. No Final Four or 1 seed in almost a decade. This is the perfect time to take over, just like when Calipari took over in 2009.

And no one on here would leave either in the same situation at their job. If my job has something in my hire documents that says if they fire me I get like 5 years of severance pay I'm not leaving until they throw me out the doors and send me my severance pay.
Read the title and the post again. We are not debating whether he will leave or not. It said if he leaves for any reason. Play the game or don’t. Comprehension escapes many on here.

For whatever reason, there are plenty of good young up and coming coaches out there that would kill to coach UK. Gates at Missouri is impressive, the guy at Fla. Atlantic or whatever team it was that made the final 4 last year, and then the D2 coach at the school in Missouri is very intriguing. Interested in hearing some names from you all should this happen. And to you Cal lovers, please don’t participate here if you can’t just understand the title. It’s all speculative.
Are you serious?

Coaches have huge egos and like to chase money, UK can supply both of those.

Winning at UK is much different than at other places. But I do think Cal was spot on when he said the UK job is 10 years.

My unpopular opinion, you want to grab a young, hungry coach who will do what it takes to win at UK; but has their sights on getting an NBA gig.

I’m just afraid if Cal leaves Mitch will hire another Billy G. That cannot happen…. As far as candidates go my short list would be

Scott Drew
Vogel
Billy Donovan ( long shot )
Brad Steven’s ( probably won’t happen )
Bruce Pearl
Rick Pitino ( no chance but it’s okay to dream )
Hurley

Pitino is super old. He isnt who he used to be and is a Cheater on and off the court. Your list has one guy I say may say yes and that's drew.

Absolutely hilarious if you really believe these posts are the result of one game. I’m not calling for Cal to leave, but if you honestly truly believe it’s due to one game, you’re the nut. I mean, were you been since 2017? Been like 6 or 7 years? Tell me you think we have been successful in any sense of the word since that big goofy white kid hit that miracle shot in 2017 to end our season? Tell me.

Reactions: NociHTTP and TM2013
Because Cal is egotistical. Eventually his ego won't allow his legacy to take anymore tarnish. Even now, whenever Cal is mentioned, it ends with 'all that talent, and virtually nothing to show for it.'. These last few seasons, he's really been exposed as simply not effective anymore. The media finally started talking about it, and last season there were coaches flat out saying they didn't even need to game plan for Cal anymore. His ego can't take much more exposure.
That's what I would say to get Cal to leave. I've thought about this a lot. Between reading his actual contract and the posters on this message board that I love because I learn from them, the right people need to put massive pressure on him. For example, I really think the billboard helped get Big Z cleared to play. That was pressure on the NCAA idiots as well as national media were talking about it as well. If we had media that didn't have their nose up Cal's butt, but pushed for answers to difficult questions OVER AND OVER each pre and/or post press conference that would be a start to at least try to make him accountable. I even thought that maybe a group of intelligent, CALM fans could write letters or talk to some of the big boosters about some concerns about the team/program. Not picking on the kids, but examples of things Cal does repeatedly that NEVER seem to work. There are ways to do that. If flooding Mitch's office with the same type of letters won't get him to listen, then that's why I said boosters. Not just one or two letters, but MANY LETTERS!!! This may be the only way to get the point across without picketing. Letters are much more professional.

Cal doesn't respect or like the fans, so he wouldn't/hasn't listened to us. But somewhere, there has got to be someone who will listen to a large group of calm, intelligent people with concerns.

If they were letters, you would have to sign your name, not your screen name on here. That's the looking intelligent part.🤣🤣

I know most people think that just one voice doesn't matter...even I think that sometimes. But look at the billboard for Big Z. The $10 I put in (all I could afford right now) wouldn't have done anything. But combined with all the others was different.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the right people to at least listen and/or deal with this. When others, besides us fans, can see the problem and are talking about it, then you know it's gotten really obvious.

Just my thoughts.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

That's what I would say to get Cal to leave. I've thought about this a lot. Between reading his actual contract and the posters on this message board that I love because I learn from them, the right people need to put massive pressure on him. For example, I really think the billboard helped get Big Z cleared to play. That was pressure on the NCAA idiots as well as national media were talking about it as well. If we had media that didn't have their nose up Cal's butt, but pushed for answers to difficult questions OVER AND OVER each pre and/or post press conference that would be a start to at least try to make him accountable. I even thought that maybe a group of intelligent, CALM fans could write letters or talk to some of the big boosters about some concerns about the team/program. Not picking on the kids, but examples of things Cal does repeatedly that NEVER seem to work. There are ways to do that. Maybe flood Mitch's office with the same type of letters. Not just one or two letters, but MANY LETTERS!!! This may be the only way to get the point across without picketing. Letters are much more professional.

Cal doesn't respect or like the fans, so he wouldn't/hasn't listened to us. But somewhere, there has got to be someone who will listen to a large group of calm, intelligent people with concerns.

If they were letters, you would have to sign your name, not your screen name on here. That's the looking intelligent part.🤣🤣

I know most people think that just one voice doesn't matter...even I think that sometimes. But look at the billboard for Big Z. The $10 I put in (all I could afford right now) wouldn't have done anything. But combined with all the others was different.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the right people to at least listen and/or deal with this. When others, besides us fans, can see the problem and are talking about it, then you know it's gotten really obvious.

Just my thoughts.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
The right people know. His buyout has just been too expensive to really apply any type of important pressure. Cal couldn't care less about bennie opinions.

The right people know. His buyout has just been too expensive to really apply any type of important pressure. Cal couldn't care less about bennie opinions.
A good attorney could maybe find something in his contract to knock the amount down. I'm sure there are safeguards in there for UK and not just Cal. I'm not an attorney, so when I read it I was not smart enough to see it. I guess I was just dreaming.🥴

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

I think Beard can coach but aren’t his teams low scoring and plodding? UK fans generally crave a more uptempo style.

I noticed UNC is currently doing uptempo and good D on their winning streak. It can be done. Need a coach that can do a good balance of both.

No clue why people think he would. He's a northeast guy coaching a northeast school that's a borderline blue blood in a power conference and has already won a title there. There's less than zero reason for him to leave.
Northeast guy?

So was/is Rick Pitino

Because Cal is egotistical. Eventually his ego won't allow his legacy to take anymore tarnish. Even now, whenever Cal is mentioned, it ends with 'all that talent, and virtually nothing to show for it.'. These last few seasons, he's really been exposed as simply not effective anymore. The media finally started talking about it, and last season there were coaches flat out saying they didn't even need to game plan for Cal anymore. His ego can't take much more exposure.
What coaches "flat out" said they didn't need to game plan for Cal anymore?

for me, its not one game. I was never a fan of Coach Cal. I just don't like what he has built, I don't even know what happened last night, I didn't watch, which speaks to what I think about him. I will never be a fan of coach who openly states, its not my job to win games. ( yes he has said that on record and stated his job was to help athletes reach their dreams) I want a coach that cares as much about winning as he does getting kids to the league. I don't want a NBA prep team that completely overhauls each year, has no culture other than one and done and who may win games, but underachieves year in and year out. I will admit this year has been more fun, but its ultimately showing the same issues we have year in and year out. I also do not think Coach Cal is a great in game coach, and that has long been a national critique for him. I'm not stating he isn't a good college coach, I'm not trying to make it personal or to insult him, he is just not what I would want for UK personally. In some ways he is great, he does prepare his players well for the future, no denying that, but winning big games and competing for national titles does and should matter. Just how I feel.
I know Cal says his job is to help kids reach their goals, but I'm calling BS that he has said "it is not my job to win games." Show me where he said it and I'll change my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT