ADVERTISEMENT

Are we sure we want Scott Drew?

I'll start by saying that Drew is a solid backup option to a tier of candidates that includes Donovan, Hurley, and Oats as homerun hires.

That being said, Drew has lost 10+ games in 8 of the last 12 seasons (well after he had established his program at Baylor) and has reached the final four one time in 21 years. From 2019-2021 he was the hottest coach in the country and had incredible teams. Was that his peak? Can UK elevate him higher? Maybe?

If the other three guys clearly said no, go get Drew, but you have to be sure they won't come first.

I think Scott Drew is a great guy, very down to earth person. But I don’t think he has what it takes to handle this job. This job is a different animal compared to Baylor
You're speaking in generalities. What exactly does he not have that it take here?

I'll be quite happy with Drew. I think he'll do really well here. It will be nice to be a really good college basketball program again and not an NBA farm circus.

Is Drew an upgrade sure but its the choice after you asked 5 others. To make him your 1st call is ridiculous

Watch the press conference from right before this past tournament when Baylor was seeded. You'll change your mind about his personality and dedication. He starts talking about scouting opponents at about 1:30.

If the other three guys clearly said no, go get Drew, but you have to be sure they won't come first.

Fair post and I think most agree with that. The rub is always going to be the MB good buddy angle and that a full legitimate effort was actually made towards those other guys first. We will never know except by going by how Mitch has operated in the past being the best predictor.

Fair post and I think most agree with that. The rub is always going to be the MB good buddy angle and that a full legitimate effort was actually made towards those other guys first. We will never know except by going by how Mitch has operated in the past being the best predictor.

And the problem is always going to be that if the fans that want Hurley/Oats/Donovan first don't get them they will assume Mitch didn't try. We'll never know the truth either way.

Usually there's a bit more candor when someone is denying interest in another job though. "I've heard the rumors surrounding the Kentucky opening and have no interest in leaving Storrs" or "The NBA has become home for me so a chance to coach at UK, while an excellent opportunity, is not something I would entertain at this time." Instead guys are lying about not knowing Cal went to Arkansas, Donovan waxing poetic about his experiences here etc. What's confusing is that Oats was out quick and I'm wondering if Mitch won't consider him because of the murder.

If we can get Billy Donovan we need to do that. Period.
Donovan was a brilliant college coach. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach, so i don't get all the "He's been out of college too long. The college game has changed." nonsense. All that matters is if you're willing to change and adapt to it.

Cal wasn't willing. That's why he is out the door.

Donovan was a brilliant college coach. I doubt he has forgotten how to coach, so i don't get all the "He's been out of college too long. The college game has changed." nonsense. All that matters is if you're willing to change and adapt to it.

Cal wasn't willing. That's why he is out the door.
He’s done decent in the nba with shitty rosters and hasn’t forgotten how to coach one bit, if anything probably has gotten even wiser. Give me him in a heartbeat. My #1 choice.

I have no serious interest in Scott Drew.

And I kept saying I would support him if he came as long as due diligence was done first to try and get a power hire. But Mitch has worked so hard to piss in the face of any due diligence that the whole idea of it is pretty much completely off the table.

So I will probably just check out if we hire Scott Drew.

The personality to be able to handle everything that comes along with this job
You know his personality? What aspects of it won't allow him to handle this job? Is he a drunk like Billy or Eddie? Quiet and reserved like Tubby? Arrogant like Pitino and Cal? What is it? And how specifically will it keep him from doing his job here?

I suspect you've never even heard more than 30 seconds of Drew speaking. And beyond that don't have a clue what his personality is like.

And the problem is always going to be that if the fans that want Hurley/Oats/Donovan first don't get them they will assume Mitch didn't try. We'll never know the truth either way.

Usually there's a bit more candor when someone is denying interest in another job though. "I've heard the rumors surrounding the Kentucky opening and have no interest in leaving Storrs" or "The NBA has become home for me so a chance to coach at UK, while an excellent opportunity, is not something I would entertain at this time." Instead guys are lying about not knowing Cal went to Arkansas, Donovan waxing poetic about his experiences here etc. What's confusing is that Oats was out quick and I'm wondering if Mitch won't consider him because of the murder.

Yeah prob spot on with Oats. There was never any real smoke there and can’t imagine any other reason.

Donovan was def interested but MB prob wasn’t going down that road for the third time.

Hurley? Who knows.

Drew fits the bill for a Mitch hire. Yes man, clean, and won’t rock the boat.

If Scott Drew can win a title at Baylor he can win 3 at Kentucky. So many people on here being shortsighted

If Scott Drew can win a title at Baylor he can win 3 at Kentucky. So many people on here being shortsighted

Can he though? He's built a strong program, one of the best in the country, from nothing. But consider this, with the exception of 19-21, he's more likely to lose in the first weekend (overwhelmingly) while losing double digit games in the season than he is to make the final four, much less win a championship.

What changes when he comes here? And before you say support, the man was already bringing in great recruiting classes so that isn't some distinct advantage he'll have here over Baylor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT