ADVERTISEMENT

I Just Came Back From Watching Travis Perry and Boogie Fland in The City Of Palms Tournament

Apr 15, 2007
Since I live about 5 miles from Ft Myers, Fla I spent two days watching about 12 of the top HS BB teams in the country pl;ay in the City of Palms classic.. Before I share my "amateur" observations I want to post a disclaimer! I am a 80 year old retired Army full colonel. I have expertise in contingency war planning and bass fishing, but none in evaluating basketball talent. Feel free to critique or disagree with my observations!
I saw Lyon co and Travis Perry play two games. He scored 30 in the first and 40 in the 2nd against very good teams. He has incredible quickness and speed, dead eye 3 pt and mid range jump shooter. I saw him hit 15 consecutive 3 pt range shots during pre game warm up. He has excellent ball control skills, a motor that never quits or slows down and can create his own shot with his lateral quickness and great leaping ability. He is a very intelligent player who has great court vision and is one of the best passers I saw. I was very surprised to see that he has added 10-15 pounds of muscle since I saw him on tv last year. He can take a hit and is still strong enough to finish the play. He was the best pure guard I saw. His game is almost a carbon copy of Reed Sheppard's. The only player I would rank above him is Dylan Harper, He is a better player than Acuff, Boogie Fland and Camden Boozer. Lyon county is one of the most enjoyable teams I have ever seen play in HS college or the pros. If you ever get a chance go see them.

Boogie Fland with his quickness, great hops and driving ability has tremendous upside but he is frail and spends a lot of time on the floor. He also takes a lot of plays off. If he gets his shot blocked he has a tendency to hang his head and walk to the other end of the floor. Conversely, when motivated or challenged he can be unstoppable. On a couple of occasions he and Acuff were guarding each other and were exchanging some good natured jawing. Twice I saw Boogie leave Acuff's feet nailed to the floor and zoom past him with a two hand dunk. Plays like that is the potential Boogie that I assume Cal saw. In summation If Cal can get him in the weight room and his motor running 100% the sky is the limit for him.

Acuff reminds me of Wagner. Very strong, good handle, streak shooter and outstanding athletic ability. Motor is a problem, he takes too many plays off and hangs his head w3hen he makes a mistake. Camden Boozer is in my opinion the most overrated player I saw. He had 10 turnovers in the one game I saw him play. It could be that he was under the weather or was just having a bad game, But based on this performance I don't think he would be a 5 star if his name wasn't Boozer.

Since I live about 5 miles from Ft Myers, Fla I spent two days watching about 12 of the top HS BB teams in the country pl;ay in the City of Palms classic.. Before I share my "amateur" observations I want to post a disclaimer! I am a 80 year old retired Army full colonel. I have expertise in contingency war planning and bass fishing, but none in evaluating basketball talent. Feel free to critique or disagree with my observations!
I saw Lyon co and Travis Perry play two games. He scored 30 in the first and 40 in the 2nd against very good teams. He has incredible quickness and speed, dead eye 3 pt and mid range jump shooter. I saw him hit 15 consecutive 3 pt range shots during pre game warm up. He has excellent ball control skills, a motor that never quits or slows down and can create his own shot with his lateral quickness and great leaping ability. He is a very intelligent player who has great court vision and is one of the best passers I saw. I was very surprised to see that he has added 10-15 pounds of muscle since I saw him on tv last year. He can take a hit and is still strong enough to finish the play. He was the best pure guard I saw. His game is almost a carbon copy of Reed Sheppard's. The only player I would rank above him is Dylan Harper, He is a better player than Acuff, Boogie Fland and Camden Boozer. Lyon county is one of the most enjoyable teams I have ever seen play in HS college or the pros. If you ever get a chance go see them.

Boogie Fland with his quickness, great hops and driving ability has tremendous upside but he is frail and spends a lot of time on the floor. He also takes a lot of plays off. If he gets his shot blocked he has a tendency to hang his head and walk to the other end of the floor. Conversely, when motivated or challenged he can be unstoppable. On a couple of occasions he and Acuff were guarding each other and were exchanging some good natured jawing. Twice I saw Boogie leave Acuff's feet nailed to the floor and zoom past him with a two hand dunk. Plays like that is the potential Boogie that I assume Cal saw. In summation If Cal can get him in the weight room and his motor running 100% the sky is the limit for him.

Acuff reminds me of Wagner. Very strong, good handle, streak shooter and outstanding athletic ability. Motor is a problem, he takes too many plays off and hangs his head w3hen he makes a mistake. Camden Boozer is in my opinion the most overrated player I saw. He had 10 turnovers in the one game I saw him play. It could be that he was under the weather or was just having a bad game, But based on this performance I don't think he would be a 5 star if his name wasn't Boozer.
You sir have just provided some of the best evaluation that comes across this board

Thanks. I’m thinking I might go over to Montverde and watch their tournament end of January. You might want to check it out if it’s not too tough of a trip.

Excellent evaluation, sir! Also, thank you men for your service!

Now, down to the real question. Where in the world did you catch the fish in your pic? I’m an amateur fisherman, I need some tips man!! 😂

Post more often. Thank you for your service sir. Nice bass in that pic!

Excellent post OP. I live near you. Would love to get together and catch a game and talk Kentucky basketball.

Thank you for your service . Thank you for your scouting report. I’ve seen Perry play twice, both times last year . There is no way I would classify him as a “great leaper” . I’ve read a few times that he can’t dunk a basketball. I’ll be going to his game Wednesday . Looking forward to see how he’s progressing.

I havn't seen Perry play but he sounded like a Lofton type(the Ky boy that went to UT). I'm happy to hear that he is more like Sheppard; I knew he was a shooter and scorer but glad to hear about the rest.

Great scouting report.

And thank you for your service!

Speaking of Perry, we had my family Christmas party last night and I learned that my sister in law’s doctor is Perry’s mother.

She says Dr Perry is every bit the doctor that Travis is a basketball player. 😜

Excellent evaluation, sir! Also, thank you men for your service!

Now, down to the real question. Where in the world did you catch the fish in your pic? I’m an amateur fisherman, I need some tips man!! 😂
I caught it in Lk Ishtopoka close to Sebring and Lk Placid. It was almost 9 lbs. Caught it in May, 23. I fish lakes Francis, Okeechobee. June, Huntley, Grassley and Crooked (all S Fla lakes) I fish couple times a week. Primarily Zoom worm fisherman, Central and sw Fla is Bass Fishing paradise.

Speaking of Perry, we had my family Christmas party last night and I learned that my sister in law’s doctor is Perry’s mother.

She says Dr Perry is every bit the doctor that Travis is a basketball player. 😜
His mother is a Family Practice physician in Eddyville and his father, the head coach, is the hospital Pharmicist. Coaching is an additional duty. I sat two rows behind her and the coach;s mother l talked to bunch of Lyon county people. They were all class people. Pure ole down to earth Kentuckians. I had a ball!

Thank you for your service . Thank you for your scouting report. I’ve seen Perry play twice, both times last year . There is no way I would classify him as a “great leaper” . I’ve read a few times that he can’t dunk a basketball. I’ll be going to his game Wednesday . Looking forward to see how he’s progressing.
The asst coach for Lyon county is a retired Airborne Master Sgt who spent many years in the 82nd Airborne Div. He is responsible for their conditioning. I talked to him at length about the training regimen he has them on. He has them pulling tractor tires, lifting weights, elastic bands and running them like they are paratroopers. They have all bulked up with solid muscle under his program. He said part of their strategy is to wear the other team down and finish them off in the last quarter. I found their entire program fascinating. Only 300 students in the high school. No football team. T5avis dunked several balls last night and was under the basket battling for rebounds.

I caught it in Lk Ishtopoka close to Sebring and Lk Placid. It was almost 9 lbs. Caught it in May, 23. I fish lakes Francis, Okeechobee. June, Huntley, Grassley and Crooked (all S Fla lakes) I fish couple times a week. Primarily Zoom worm fisherman, Central and sw Fla is Bass Fishing paradise.
I do a lot of bass fishing (pond jumper) on post at Ft. Sill. I use Bass Pro Shop stick worms mostly but on occasion have used Zooms. Pictured below is one from a small pond not far from where I was working at the time . Caught two about that size (almost 7lbs) that day. Caught on an October afternoon Friday after work (still in work clothes) before going home about 5 years ago. Have caught many more since then but only one about as big as that one.

20180907-181919.jpg

First, thanks for your service, I served from 66-70 in the Air Force. Second, a very complete and a very accurate account of Travis Perry. I've seen him play several times, I live in Western KY, against some really talented players/teams and he always looks the same. One thing I noticed during the Marshall Co. Hoopfest against Memphis Whitehaven was how well he uses his left hand dribbling, improvement from last year. Yes, he reminds me of Sheppard's skill set, even though I still think Perry is the best shoot I've ever seen in high school. I have a couple of friends who think Lyon Co. Is the best coached team they've ever seen and I can't argue that fact.

His mother is a Family Practice physician in Eddyville and his father, the head coach, is the hospital Pharmicist. Coaching is an additional duty. I sat two rows behind her and the coach;s mother l talked to bunch of Lyon county people. They were all class people. Pure ole down to earth Kentuckians. I had a ball!
My SIL couldn’t say enough good about them.

My dream is to get down south and do some bass fishing. I mainly fish big glide baits all year long but I’m in WV. My PB is 5lbs on the dot, not many 9lber’s here.. lol thank you for your reply

Thank you tug1534 for you service and the great scouting report. I was in the Air Force from 64-48 stationed in Japan at Tachikawa AFB and worked on C-130's and was in and out of Nam for about a year & half.

Sounds like Perry is going to be a great player for UK. Going to try and get down and see him play but having to help with my Uncle who is 103 WW2 vet. Keep posting those scouting repostes.

First, thanks for your service, I served from 66-70 in the Air Force. Second, a very complete and a very accurate account of Travis Perry. I've seen him play several times, I live in Western KY, against some really talented players/teams and he always looks the same. One thing I noticed during the Marshall Co. Hoopfest against Memphis Whitehaven was how well he uses his left hand dribbling, improvement from last year. Yes, he reminds me of Sheppard's skill set, even though I still think Perry is the best shoot I've ever seen in high school. I have a couple of friends who think Lyon Co. Is the best coached team they've ever seen and I can't argue that fact.
Perry and Chris Lofton are the 2 best high school shooters I’ve seen. And I’ve been watching a long time , lol .

Chevy I was in Nam in 68-69 just north of DaNang, My dad would send me the old small reel to reel tapes containing Cawood's recordings of the Issel,Pratt and Casey teams. Bad time!
I was TDY to the Nam Tan Son Nhut AB in 72 at the end of the war, I was in the AF a big part of my tour of duty was at NKP Thailand.

Great report. I appreciate the update.

I saw them play multiple times this summer at wku summer basketball team camp, they were definitely the most fundamentally sound team there and that was without Perry. I was also in nam in 68 69 north of phu bi arty. forward observer.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Thank you tug1534 for you service and the great scouting report. I was in the Air Force from 64-48 stationed in Japan at Tachikawa AFB and worked on C-130's and was in and out of Nam for about a year & half.

Sounds like Perry is going to be a great player for UK. Going to try and get down and see him play but having to help with my Uncle who is 103 WW2 vet. Keep posting those scouting repostes.

Not many WW2 vets left. Breaks my heart. Greatest generation for sure.

Nice review! Thanks for your service. Boogie will be a great PG here. Travis will be a great piece of our team as well. I can’t wait to see him shoot here.

Last edited:
Went on an Honor Flight this May and we had 1 ww2 vet on our flight along with 16 Korea vets and 72 Nam guys and gals. Great trip! Encourage you guys to sign up for it.
That’s awesome. My Grandfather was a Korean Vet, he died in 1991 though. My brother is a 3 tour veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq. He was awarded the Purple Heart from George Bush Jr. always thought that was cool. He’s got a big room full of his memorabilia from the wars, his medals, flags signed by his company and platoon members. Pretty neat seeing all the stuff he brought back like currency, and items from over there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT