ADVERTISEMENT

I have lots of mixed feelings about tonight's chain of events

UKfan215

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2003
When the news this evening started making it sound like Stoops was leaving for A&M, I'll admit, I started thinking back to our miserable past. I was worried about returning to the days of 2 and 3 win seasons. While 7-5 isn't great, it sure as hell beats 4-8, 3-9 or 2-10. Stoops and the staff that he has put together here offers us a unique chance to attract good enough recruits to at least be a mid-level SEC program most years. During the Joker era, who would have ever thought UK would someday soon put together a couple of 10 win seasons? We've finally had a taste of some success and like how it feels. Now we want more. More may or may not be something we can achieve because of Kentucky's built-in limitations, such as our poor recruiting base, smaller NIL money pool and the fact that we simply aren't going to out-recruit Georgia, Alabama and other top SEC programs to move beyond the mid-tier. So I was honestly a little relieved when the Stoops to A&M deal fell through. As much as he drives me insane at times with his conservative approach, Mark Stoops is probably about the best UK can do. If 8-4 is our ceiling, then I'll take that over being the complete bottom dwelling basement critter we were before Stoops.

OTOH, the way this has all played out has left a bad taste in my mouth. It seems Stoops very much wanted to take this job until a revolt by Texas A&M fans and boosters ended any hope of that. So now are we are kind of stuck with a coach who doesn't really want to be here. Is this a healthy situation for Stoops, the players, the staff or the fans? It is a proven fact that people who are enthusiastic about their jobs work harder. Now that he has been shunned by what would have been his way out, will he remain motivated? Or will he become bitter? Will this situation create fractures in his relationship with the players, other staff members, the administration or boosters?

As the title states, I am having lots of mixed feelings. A part of me is glad Stoops is staying. But another part of me is now disappointed that we are stuck with a coach who would probably prefer to be somewhere else. Did we dodge a bullet by Stoops staying? Or has the situation set into motion events that will only serve to create division, toxicity and more problems moving forward? I'm just not sure which direction this tree will fall. But I can't imagine there won't be some negative repercussions as a result of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack and catben
Only time will tell. As long as Stoops is here you can probably expect 6 to 7 regular season wins a season. Once it goes to 9 sec games that may shift a little but still should make a bowl most seasons.

I understand your position. I also admit to getting a little bit excited about Sumrall and his youthful energy hiring a rock star. staff and taking this thing to the next level.

In the end, I don't think it's a good thing to be starting over with Texas and OU coming into the league.

I think Stoops will do what he has to do to try and improve the program. I think we will remain competitive. Next year will be very telling b/c we will still have 8 SEC games, but we drop Alabama and Mizzou and MSU and pick up Ole Miss, Texas, and Auburn. I'd say that is a net tougher schedule, but not by a lot. If we can go 4-4 or better in the league, then that means we are probably beating the teams we usually beat and then an extra monster win or two.

It's all still fresh, but I think in a week or two we should all be able to band together and support stoops and the program in what will be a pivotal year.

I get your take....but think about this part of your thoughts.....you stated "sure as hell beat 4-8, 3-9 or 2-10". UK was not a 2 win program before Stoops annually....Brooks had established a level of performance (and UK had weakened the schedule by dropping the IU series.

Before Stoops
2012 (Joker) 2-10
2011 (Joker) 5-7
2010 (Joker) 6-7
2009 (Brooks) 7-6
2008 (Brooks) 7-6
2007 (Brooks) 8-5
2006 (Brooks) 8-5

So UK had an established baseline of 6-8 wins per year and then Joker was a bad hire that took it down to 5 wins and then 2 wins bottomed out and we got Stoops who re-established that 5 wins and then got over the hump in his 4th year and then hit the jackpot in his 6th year with Josh Allen, etc...

But I'd argue with SEC TV Money, NIL support that is baseline for SEC schools, the schedule is almost a gimmie 4 wins minimum.....about any guy we'd hire do that (I'd be surprised if Sumrall can't win 4-5 games minimum. Fans have to stop over-reacting to Joker's 2 win season....that was the aberration...not the norm. We aren't' likely to suck after Stoops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT