ADVERTISEMENT

How to eff with ridiculous HOA

Sounds like a rich white neighborhood. Put Black Lives Matter signs in your yard and when they tell you no signs in the yard start calling them racist.

Kind of racist to assume black people cant live in a nice neighborhood isn’t it?

Do like the BLM idea though…

Reactions: H. Lecter
Sounds like a rich white neighborhood. Put Black Lives Matter signs in your yard and when they tell you no signs in the yard start calling them racist.

Nah, Dems are now fully the party of the rich. 100% guarantee these obsessive board members would be all about BLM signs and the nauseating “In this House, we believe…” signs. If you really wanted to piss them off with a sign, get a Trump 2024 or “There are only two genders” sign.

Best thing to do short of moving would be run against and try to unseat them. Take away their power trip.

But I’d just move if it’s a realistic option.

Reactions: bbonds
Nah, Dems are now fully the party of the rich. 100% guarantee these obsessive board members would be all about BLM signs and the nauseating “In this House, we believe…” signs. If you really wanted to piss them off with a sign, get a Trump 2024 or “There are only two genders” sign.

Best thing to do short of moving would be run against and try to unseat them. Take away their power trip.

But I’d just move if it’s a realistic option.

Not sure their politics, but they were fully on the vax or youre evil train. So assumptions can be made from that.

We are moving, just want to annoy them in the time we have left here. Got some good, subtle, and legal ideas.

I always liked the initial mission of the HOA, but it seems futile since there’s rentals popping up in our neighborhood

Just like government, HOAs are just one election away from being evil.
Plus we have a neighborhood developer who wants to build apartments all over , and has blocked some nice views some folks formerly had. I get capitalism, but I also get stakeholdership.

Anonymously (or not) report various/insignificant HOA infractions on others in the neighborhood, notably HOA leaders and request a public hearing …. in other words, became an HOA activist …

Reactions: grevey35
-Start displaying large religious statues in your yard. Big fat Buddha statue.
-My old HOA would get pissed at my neighbor when he parked his RV overnight in his driveway. He solved the problem by parking on the street as he found out the city owned the streets and the HOA could not prohibit parking. Don’t know but it worked for him.
-put up a satellite dish-don’t need to subscribe just install one.
-if you live in certain states you have a legal right to use a clothesline. Hang you tighty whities up if your state allows it.
-ask for minutes of meetings and for the financials.

Was on my HOA board for a few years. I learned quickly why I will never be on on again for a myriad of reasons.
I think a lot of people can relate. Served one year and never will again. From dealing with unreasonable members to very unreasonable board members, it wasn’t worth it at all.

Convinced those who seek and enjoy that just love having a sense of authority and power.

Those who seek power are generally the ones who should not have it~ said by someone other than me.

File a complaint with the local govt's human rights commission showing discrimination based on age (i.e., the HOA allowing things for adult but not similar things for kids).

b78ae812-1625-43b7-b64a-b997b007ad95_text.gif

I don’t have any suggestions, but F a HOA. I grew up in a neighborhood with one.

One time some old lady came and knocked on our door threatening “action” because I … left my bike in the front yard … overnight. OMG!!

My dad to her to f off, my mom got mad at him and I laughed loudly.

I’m not too keen on living somewhere where some other SOB gets to tell me what I can and can’t do with property I own. That’s why I live in the country.

Take a 5 gallon pump sprayer filled with round up or atrazine and draw a giant penis in their yards. After about a week they will have a giant brown penis in their green grass. Unless they tear out the whole yard, even replanting that area will leave a discernable penis in the lawn for years.
Some kids did that to a shop teacher when I was in high school. 🤣

Live in an HOA controlled community, for only 6 to 8 months longer while we build. We are moving 100% due to their insanity. So now I just want to screw with them in as many (legal) ways that I can.

Completely open to suggestions.
Need to understand your definition of insanity. Are they strictly enforcing the rules you agree to abide by when purchasing the house or are they overstepping covenants and restrictions?

If it's the former - that's on you. By agreeing to buy the house you agreed to live until all terms and conditions. If they are strictly enforced and your snatch is raw, suck it up.

If it's the latter, you can sue and probably win.

I’ll be honest I’ve lived in an HOA neighborhood for 8 years and not had a single issue. They mow the grass every couple weeks, mulch once a year, and provide food trucks occasionally. Been very low key. Think we’ve been lucky.

Reactions: rudd1
Need to understand your definition of insanity. Are they strictly enforcing the rules you agree to abide by when purchasing the house or are they overstepping covenants and restrictions?

If it's the former - that's on you. By agreeing to buy the house you agreed to live until all terms and conditions. If they are strictly enforced and your snatch is raw, suck it up.

If it's the latter, you can sue and probably win.
Already addressed a few different times in this thread. They are violating federal law, but I’m not incurring the cost of a lawsuit. Our behavior has not changed a bit, but their interpretations have. We are leaving, but I fully intend to be as disrespectful as I can on the way out, just as they have been to me and others.

Already addressed a few different times in this thread. They are violating federal law, but I’m not incurring the cost of a lawsuit. Our behavior has not changed a bit, but their interpretations have. We are leaving, but I fully intend to be as disrespectful as I can on the way out, just as they have been to me and others.

Sorry about that - should have read thru the thread before replying. Moving sounds like your only real choice; which is sad.

Thing is, no matter what you do it's not going have an effect on the crazies. They thrive on power and attention. But if it makes you feel better, break every rule you can while forcing them to send letters. Then correct the issue right before it escalates (letting your grass go a bit, park on the street, put out obnoxious decorations, leave a kiddie pool in the driveway, etc).

Sorry about that - should have read thru the thread before replying. Moving sounds like your only real choice; which is sad.

Thing is, no matter what you do it's not going have an effect on the crazies. They thrive on power and attention. But if it makes you feel better, break every rule you can while forcing them to send letters. Then correct the issue right before it escalates (letting your grass go a bit, park on the street, put out obnoxious decorations, leave a kiddie pool in the driveway, etc).

They do and you’re right. I’ll take some satisfaction in knowing I drove them crazy for a bit though. The one useful thing I learned during my 1 year serving is they get very spun up over really stupid crap. So there will be a TON of stupid crap coming from me.

We have one. I’ve lived in some places where the neighbors have been bad, very bad. So I’m glad to have it. But it’s super low key compared to what I’m reading in this thread. Us poors can’t hang with y’all with Paddock money, I suppose. What do you Fortune 500 types pay annually for such amenities?

We have one. I’ve lived in some places where the neighbors have been bad, very bad. So I’m glad to have it. But it’s super low key compared to what I’m reading in this thread. Us poors can’t hang with y’all with Paddock money, I suppose. What do you Fortune 500 types pay annually for such amenities?
Pay around $2k. Main amenity is a pool but a few other things including being a gated community. To me, will gladly pay that just for the pool so I do not have to pay a fortune to put one in and have to take care of it. 95% of the time have no issues. Always will be some inconsiderate entitled pricks that will live in one who think the rules do not apply to them.

Pay 3600 and no pool 😒

Next place will fox both of those problems.

I always go on Zillow for fun and look at really expensive mansions for fun in the area and most of the ones 2 million+ here are like 125 a month max. However we’re in Ohio so I think the property taxes are basically an HOA fee, they just aren’t really a big thing here because property taxes are so ridiculous. My sister, who lives in DC, has basically no property taxes and some of their HOA fees for a million dollar place are comical (like 2k/month).

Piggby backing off the politics idea, put up political displays for both sides. Put up a Ukraine flag, BLM sign and a rainbow flag. Close by, put up a Trump 2024 sign, a sign about genders and go shoot some Bud Lights in your yard.

They won’t know what to think.

Moves into a neighborhood with an HOA

Complains about having to live under the bylaws of the HOA

Perhaps try not moving to a place with an HOA next time.

What kind of “insanity” are you dealing with? They won’t let you have a yard sale? You can’t park your camper in the driveway for the neighborhood to look at? They sent you a cease-and-desist order for your Walmart above ground pool?
Welcome to ignore.

Personally I like to sow dandelions seed as many places as possible. If that don't do it, put ur Xmas decorations up in july.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT