ADVERTISEMENT

How to eff with ridiculous HOA

Mdnerd

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2022
Live in an HOA controlled community, for only 6 to 8 months longer while we build. We are moving 100% due to their insanity. So now I just want to screw with them in as many (legal) ways that I can.

Completely open to suggestions.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

"We are moving 100% due to their insanity"

So you're asking the internet for help in an immature personal war against an HOA because of their insanity? Knowing nothing of the situation because you offered very little in detail, I'm going to wager you're all insane and that Freshman level moniker under your id is fairly accurate.

In other words, grow up, my man. You're not Al Bundy and the internet cares very little of your personal vendettas.

So you're asking the internet for help in an immature personal war against an HOA because of their insanity? Knowing nothing of the situation because you offered very little in detail, I'm going to wager you're all insane and that Freshman level moniker under your id is fairly accurate.

In other words, grow up, my man. You're not Al Bundy and the internet cares very little of your personal vendettas.

Ahh, there he is offering yet another unwanted, presumptuous, and idiotic opinion.

Take a hint, no one wants you here…

Pretend the HOA was run by a bunch of republicans..

There's a woods between me and neighbors and that's getting to close for comfort. Hopefully I'll be moving to a more remote place soon.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Live in an HOA controlled community, for only 6 to 8 months longer while we build. We are moving 100% due to their insanity. So now I just want to screw with them in as many (legal) ways that I can.

Completely open to suggestions.
We would need to see the HOA bylaws to give you a legit way to push the boundaries while adhering to their rules.

Reactions: chroix
Have you thought about putting a Porta-Potty or two in your front yard? Those are often allowed for short term (30-60 day) construction projects. Be sure not to empty them.

Something more permanent...You could buy some Bermuda grass seed. That stuff will take over traditional lawns and common spaces. Looks terrible mixed in with bluegrass.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grevey35 and Mdnerd
Have you thought about putting a Porta-Potty or two in your front yard? Those are often allowed for short term (30-60 day) construction projects. Be sure not to empty them.

Something more permanent...You could buy some Bermuda grass seed. That stuff will take over traditional lawns and common spaces. Looks terrible mixed in with bluegrass.

That Bermuda grass idea is pretty solid actually. They’d be VERY upset…

Moves into a neighborhood with an HOA

Complains about having to live under the bylaws of the HOA

Perhaps try not moving to a place with an HOA next time.

What kind of “insanity” are you dealing with? They won’t let you have a yard sale? You can’t park your camper in the driveway for the neighborhood to look at? They sent you a cease-and-desist order for your Walmart above ground pool?

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Moves into a neighborhood with an HOA

Complains about having to live under the bylaws of the HOA

Perhaps try not moving to a place with an HOA next time.

What kind of “insanity” are you dealing with? They won’t let you have a yard sale? You can’t park your camper in the driveway for the neighborhood to look at? They sent you a cease-and-desist order for your Walmart above ground pool?

Maybe try not making assumptions?

The HOA and bylaws are fine and standard. A few members have taken over and decided to “reinterpret” the bylaws. Several attorneys agreed they are violating federal law, but would cost upward of 50k to fight. Moving instead…

I’ll leave the fight to others. I just want to be petty in the way out.

Maybe try not making assumptions?

The HOA and bylaws are fine and standard. A few members have taken over and decided to “reinterpret” the bylaws. Several attorneys agreed they are violating federal law, but would cost upward of 50k to fight. Moving instead…

I’ll leave the fight to others. I just want to be petty in the way out.

Please give an example of the reinterpretation

-1st...never move somewhere with an hoa.

-2nd, hoa's aren't for wealthy people. It's a middle class new neighborhood thing. Real estate pricing should rule out the kind of neighbors that warrant rules that would require an hoa.

You don’t know as much as you think.

Please give an example of the reinterpretation

Alright genius, enjoy playing devils advocate.

1. The word “placed” was enforced against structures or play equipment “placed” on a permanent basis. The new Board interprets that to mean anything, even if “placed” for just minutes, such as children’s toys…

2. “Play equipment” has been reinterpreted to mean only children’s play equipment, and is now banned. Have lived here for 7 years and suddenly the exact same language used the entire time to allow children to play has been reinterpreted to mean they cannot.

The bylaws don’t prohibit these things, but require board approval. So now they deny all requests. Meanwhile adult play equipment such as corn hole and pickle ball are used by members and board members without request or approval. Have it in writing they now interpret it to only apply to children.

Even more, they interpret the word “placed” differently depending on who it affects.

Reactions: grevey35
-i disagee, but there is an outside chance...i reckon it depends on what one's definition of wealthy is.
I can think of some nice neighborhoods by the standards of where I’m from that are trashed by people who don’t take care of their property, park enormous RVs in the drive, etc. I’m not sure money always confers taste or class or even respect for the neighbors. Think Al Czervik.

Reactions: H-D cat and rudd1
-i disagee, but there is an outside chance...i reckon it depends on what one's definition of wealthy is.
There are people that have had the benefit of generational wealth. Glenview, a city within Louisville, has the second highest per capita income in Kentucky.

They created their own city government in order to control the neighborhood. This is a de facto HOA. HOA’s came along afterwards to do what the wealthy could already do, create a legally defined system to keep out undesirable elements.

As a past HOA President (out of necessity), I've seen first-hand how a few "crazies" can take up 90% of your time by liberally interpreting Bylaws & Guidelines.... And making some of your neighbors' lives hell....

For example: I live in an equine community and one individual complained to the Board thru a lawyer that a neighbor's horse trailer made too much noise and they should have to buy something newer... etc., etc.

If you really want to mess with them...(and I don't recommend it)... just take the high road and move...

But...

You could:

(1) DEMAND to see all of the financials .. (its your right), though if well structured (which we eventually did), it should cost you $$ to make this request (some nominal charge).

and

(2) Send out a community-wide email listing all of your issues, and why the Board sucks, and is being overly intrusive, or not doing their jobs... I guarantee the B0ARD feels otherwise and this will irritate the hell out of them...

(-:

plz see earlier recommendation on taking "the high road"

Last edited:
-its all relative, i reckon. Jumper.

-i see your point, ai... municipalities* have zoning laws/code enforcement. And I'm sure that there are some "wealthy" new developments that incorporate hoa's.

*municipal government =facto HOA is a stretch imo, but whatever.

-in mnerds case, it seems some older/retired middle management types are trying to turn an established neighborhood into a de facto retirement community...seems pretty common.

Reactions: warrior-cat

You're correct Rudd. Before I moved to the country I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood, hardly what I would call wealthy. Well to do, sure. I remember we had a massive blizzard once and I kept my trash bins in front of my garage for a few days waiting for it to melt so I could roll them back to the side of the house. Within a day and a half I had a letter from the HOA in my mailbox saying my trash bin placement was a violation. We moved that spring and I'll never deal with that kind of shit again. HOAs are like admins of free social media groups. They think they are gods and that their shit doesn't stink.

As a past HOA President (out of necessity), I've seen first-hand how a few "crazies" can take up 90% of your time by liberally interpreting Bylaws & Guidelines.... And making some of your neighbors' lives hell....

For example: I live in an equine community and one individual complained to the Board thru a lawyer that a neighbor's horse trailer made too much noise and they should have to buy something newer... etc., etc.

If you really want to mess with them...(and I don't recommend it)... just take the high road and move...

But...

You could:

(1) DEMAND to see all of the financials .. (its your right), though if well structured (which we eventually did), it should cost you $$ to make this request (some nominal charge).

and

(2) Send out a community-wide email listing all of your issues, and why to Board sucks, and is being overly intrusive, or not doing their jobs... I guarantee the B0ARD feels otherwise and this will irritate the hell out of them...

(-:

plz see earlier recommendation on taking "the high road"

I was vice president of the Board when I received a fine letter for using something that we had been using for 7 years without complaint. It was addressed from the Board, but only 3 of the members knew anything about the fine letter. Those same 3 people run things now and have made life miserable for anyone with children.

I have all of the financials etc. I was also advised by an attorney not to send something public out unless I was prepared to go to court, which id LOVE TO DO, but not for the extreme cost.

So we are leaving and I’m trying to bring out my childish petty side that I put to bed decades ago.

So you are one of those “the rules don’t apply to me” people. That tracks

Just post a sign that you are having a yard sale but put someone else’s address down on the sign.

Place multiple signs with multiple addresses. Do this weekly and make them piss everyone off by sending threatening letters.

Reactions: Col. Angus
So you are one of those “the rules don’t apply to me” people. That tracks

Just post a sign that you are having a yard sale but put someone else’s address down on the sign.

Place multiple signs with multiple addresses. Do this weekly and make them piss everyone off by sending threatening letters.

🤣🤣, I’m upset at Board members for fining members for interpretations they violate themselves. It’s a “rules for thee” type of deal. Of course you’ll twist that to be my fault.

I followed the rules to the letter for 7 years without a single issue. Now the exact same behavior that was perfectly fine is getting me fined. Also them restricting children violates the fair housing act and is illegal. Like I said, no interest in falling on that sword for the crazy cost.

You’re going to be contrary no matter what, mostly because you’re just an ahole. Good for you though, do your thing.

How are they restricting children?

Restricting playhouses, play sets, basketball goals is a way to prevent people with kids from moving in. This is pretty common when a planned development wants it to be adults only.z

I doubt they have a bylaw that says “no kids”

I also gave you a pretty good way to mess with them. Best way is to turn neighbor against neighbor. You also could make some sock accounts on next door and start a disinformation campaign.

How are they restricting children?

Restricting playhouses, play sets, basketball goals is a way to prevent people with kids from moving in. This is pretty common when a planned development wants it to be adults only.z

I doubt they have a bylaw that says “no kids”

I also gave you a pretty good way to mess with them. Best way is to turn neighbor against neighbor. You also could make some sock accounts on next door and start a disinformation campaign.

It’s not adult only. Community is over 20 years old. They are now running it like an adult community with intentional misinterpretations that are not being applied to adults. I guess the proper phrase is “selective enforcement”.

Gun down the board members at the next meeting.

Or just paint your house pink with stripper silhouettes.

All the fun stuff would either land you in jail or tank your home value. Since you’re about to sell, I would just leave it alone.

Put "I Support NAMBL" signs in their yards. That'll likely make for good convo at the next block party.

Of course, if they're Democrats, they probably already have them posted in their yards anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT