ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic discussion

TNCatfanforever

All-American
Apr 3, 2003
Mount Juliet Tn
Cal had worn out his welcome and had drastically underperformed the last 4 years. Hurley isn’t leaving UConn, Donovan and Stephens are not leaving NBA to deal with NIL and open transfers. Scott Drew resurrected a dead program like Pitino did at Uk while enduring 3 years of heavy sanctions. What he has done at Baylor has been amazing considering there are 5-6 bigger and more affluent schools in Texas. He is tremendous X&O guy. With our resources and the UK brand and fanbase he will have the opportunity to have the Cats in the discussion every year. He is a religious man but that resonates well with 90% of mommas and families of recruits. They want their kids in a safe Environment. I do not think at this juncture there is a better fit. I know the Cal contention wouldn’t be happy if Rupp was resurrected. The best way to not be Indiana is get behind whoever the coach is 100% and let’s see if we can put UK first again. Hopefully the last 4 years will seem like a bad dream soon.

Cal had worn out his welcome and had drastically underperformed the last 4 years. Hurley isn’t leaving UConn, Donovan and Stephens are not leaving NBA to deal with NIL and open transfers. Scott Drew resurrected a dead program like Pitino did at Uk while enduring 3 years of heavy sanctions. What he has done at Baylor has been amazing considering there are 5-6 bigger and more affluent schools in Texas. He is tremendous X&O guy. With our resources and the UK brand and fanbase he will have the opportunity to have the Cats in the discussion every year. He is a religious man but that resonates well with 90% of mommas and families of recruits. They want their kids in a safe Environment. I do not think at this juncture there is a better fit. I know the Cal contention wouldn’t be happy if Rupp was resurrected. The best way to not be Indiana is get behind whoever the coach is 100% and let’s see if we can put UK first again. Hopefully the last 4 years will seem like a bad dream soon.
I think he will do well if he is indeed the choice. I wish we had more time to wait and try to pry Hurley away no matter how unlikely.

I'm going to support whoever because I want our program back on track. He's not my first choice, but taking Baylor from a doormat to NCAA champion can't be overlooked.

He'll certainly be a better coach than Cal and UK won't be treated like an NBA factory for the first time in a long time.

He has a big choice to make. But I see him taking on this program with program as the main objective outside of his beliefs. He always attaches that as one. He resonates with this fan base in time, it's just the pressure. I'm behind Drew. I think it's a bigger platform to do his work. Always a chance of failure, but we got to get behind whoever our new coach is. 💪

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I think he will do well if he is indeed the choice. I wish we had more time to wait and try to pry Hurley away no matter how unlikely.
Hurley was my immediate gut reaction but then you start hearing he wants the Knicks/NBA job eventually and I have flashbacks to every Pitino offseason and a lot of Cal’s time. I’m getting old and ready for a coach that can do the job and wants to be about the University and not him.

Billy was never coming. Something was up
With oats. Either he indicated he wasn’t interested or Mitch wouldn’t go for it. I like oats but his lack of defense concerns me. Solid choice though. Flashy. I’ve had to talk myself into Drew and I’m starting to come around. At the end of the day my gut tells me he’s the best option. I know one thing for sure, if he says no we are in deep shit.

But here’s what will always be held over Drew’s head and Mitch’s head and it will always be a point of contention. It’s not fair to Drew either. But the fanbase willl always wonder and speculate if we did enough to try and lure Hurley. I want to really believe that we did and that guys just wants to hang around UConn for a couple years before heading to the NBA. But dammit it would go a long was if we could just know. Did we go all the way in trying to bring him here ?

Last edited:
Interesting career winning %'s of a few current coaches. Sean Miller is up there pretty good.

Mark Few 83.4%
Bill Self 76.6%
John Calipari * 76.5%
Rick Pitino * 73.6%
Hubert Davis 71.6%
Sean Miller 71.6%
Tom Izzo 70.6%
Eric Musselman 70.4%
Will Wade 69.3%
Chris Beard 69.2%
Kelvin Sampson 69.2%
Nate Oats 68.7%
Brad Underwood * 68.7%
Mick Cronin 68.2%
Pat Kelsey 68.1%
Bruce Pearl 67.1%
Shaka Smart 66.9%
Rick Barnes 66.0%
Bryce Drew 64.8%
Scott Drew 64.6%
Dusty May 64.6%
Dan Hurley 64.2%
Andy Kennedy 64.0%
Mark Pope 63.4%
T.J. Otzelberger 63.3%

But here’s what will always be held over Drew’s head and Mitch’s head and it will always be a point of contention. It’s not fair to Drew either. But the fanbase willl always wonder and speculate if we did enough to try and lure Hurley. I want to really believe that we did and that guys just wants to hang around UConn for a couple years before heading to the NBA. But dammit it would go a long was if we could just know. Did we go all the way in trying to bring him here ?
I don't want to think about how this place will be if we flame out early in the next couple of tournaments while UConn continues on their run and gets more final fours or championships.

hide-saklan.gif

Interesting career winning %'s of a few current coaches. Sean Miller is up there pretty good.

Mark Few 83.4%
Bill Self 76.6%
John Calipari * 76.5%
Rick Pitino * 73.6%
Hubert Davis 71.6%
Sean Miller 71.6%
Tom Izzo 70.6%
Eric Musselman 70.4%
Will Wade 69.3%
Chris Beard 69.2%
Kelvin Sampson 69.2%
Nate Oats 68.7%
Brad Underwood * 68.7%
Mick Cronin 68.2%
Pat Kelsey 68.1%
Bruce Pearl 67.1%
Shaka Smart 66.9%
Rick Barnes 66.0%
Bryce Drew 64.8%
Scott Drew 64.6%
Dusty May 64.6%
Dan Hurley 64.2%
Andy Kennedy 64.0%
Mark Pope 63.4%
T.J. Otzelberger 63.3%

ITS FRIGGIN BAYLOR WHAT THE CRAP.

It’s Baylor. Like, when he took it I remember. People were legit killing each other on their teams and selling crack. The coach legit was cool with murder! What’s wrong with some of you that you don’t get it?

It’s the most IMPRESSIVE build in HISTORY.

READ A BOOK OR SOMETHING.

I don't want to think about how this place will be if we flame out early in the next couple of tournaments while UConn continues on their run and gets more final fours or championships.
Yeah I agree but that all depends on how hard we tried for Hurley. If Mitch gave it all he had then he’s off the hook and we shouldn’t feel this way

Yeah I agree but that all depends on how hard we tried for Hurley. If Mitch gave it all he had then he’s off the hook and we shouldn’t feel this way
At the end of the day he has to convince the fan base he did that. If things start poorly while Hurley is crushing it, the natives will get restless.

Hurley did something incredibly impressive with back to back titles. But, before last season the guy had never gone to a Sweet 16. As a result I have mixed feelings about him.

This board tends to chase the flavor of the month. Any coach we bring in is a risk. Regardless of who we get, next season will be interesting, to say the least.

Reactions: Rockfly78
With oats. Either he indicated he wasn’t interested or Mitch wouldn’t go for it. I like oats but his lack of defense concerns me. Solid choice though. Flashy. I’ve had to talk myself into Drew and I’m starting to come around. At the end of the day my gut tells me he’s the best option. I know one thing for sure, if he says no we are in deep shit.

We will never know. Mitch isn’t going to come out and say Hurley was the #1 choice and turned us down. By all indications Hurley had no interest. If he lets Mitch know that behind the scenes, why would Mitch come out and say it publicly?

Reactions: Rockfly78

If it’s known Hurley wants to go to the nba why even entertain bringing him here? Let him stay at UConn for a few more seasons before making that move. Took him 4 seasons to get UConn past the S16 so who’s to say the same wouldn’t happen here but either way we would have a coach whose eyes are constantly wandering. Like Hurley but if that’s the case I’ll pass.

Reactions: preacherfan
Drew would be a fabulous hire. People who are already opposing have various reasons, but sadly I think a fair number of them come down to their dislike of Mitch and their dislike of religion.

There is now world in which any unrealistic and unbiased person doesn't see that Drew is and should be in the top 5 candidates. And that includes Hurley, Drew, Donovan, Wright and Oats. It seems as if Oats and Wright are not options. So Drew is in the top 3 left. He'd be the most qualified coach we've ever hired. There's no way anyone could make an objective case outside of the names mentioned above for someone else we should hire over him.

It's time to support the program people.

Amen and great post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT