ADVERTISEMENT

How many times have you ever pulled for Louisville?

Can't say I exactly root for them.

But honestly in years when we thump them hard, after they take their medicine if they play UNC** or Duke I really love it if they happen to thump those boys. It sends Tobacco Row the whole, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE OUR LEAVINGS" message.

And I'm a fan of that message.

Also, when they won their 'ship in 13--I didn't want them to win and I rooted hard against them. Because frickin UL fans.

But since they won it anyway, I really was happy for some of their players. They had some good, humble kids on that squad. It's not their players I generally dislike; it's their fans.

1970 BC (BC = before Crum). Once Denny started dogging UK, I stopped all support for ul. Haven't pulled for them but one time since. That was against Syracuse. They had Pearl Washington and Dick Vitale wouldn't shut up about him. Made me pull for ul but that was it!

I grew up in the west end of Louisville. None of my friends were ul fans and I don't recall ever hearing about ul back then. To be fair, college sports weren't as big back then and there weren't that many games on TV. And Rupp's Runts was the hot team in KY.

My first realization of ul came when I was in Denton Texas. Some of us were heading to TWU for the weekend and NTSU was also there. Passed a sign that said NTSU was playing ul next. Surprised me that they had a team.:flushed:

there was a time that i viewed ul just like i do Morehead, Eastern, Western and if not playing UK i rooted for them
but that was before the age of the internet, and i got to see just how envious and jealous ul fans are of all things UK

Last edited:
Reactions: LogicalCat
there was a time that i viewed ul just like i do Morehead, Eastern, Western and if not playing UK i rooted for them
but that was before the age of the internet, and i got to see just how envious and jealous ul fans are of all things UK

I never lived in Louisville so I had never met any of thier fans ( few out here in Western Kentucky) so I didn't really get the animosity. So if they weren't playing UK sure I'd root for em.
But as he said, since the internet arrived and the age of message boards, man are their fans are F***ing Bast***s.
Now I might root for them against Duke or UNCheat , or maybe not.

I would root for the Taliban basketball team before I ever would for Louisville.

I don't have hate for UofL but I don't care much for them either. I will root for them against North Carolina, Duke, Indiana, and Kansas who I actually do loathe.

A true UK fan would NEVER pull for UL.

Not true. To consider Louisville a rival means you're making them matter. Louisville doesn't matter to me and never has, so I cheer for them like I would any other in state directional school, unless they're playing UK.

Every time they play Indiana! I hate that program worse then Louisville and always have all the way back to the General! Cant stand there nut ball coach they have now either for that matter. Most of all dislike their fans and the way their athletic department was reluctant to apologize for their behavior toward our fans the last time we played in Indiana. Where as I don't care for Louisville....I really dislike Indiana and their dumbass fans even more. THTB

never
Then I always root for the roof to collapse when they play duke and UConn and a few others.

Nope. You guys have pretty much been suckage since the days of John Dromo.
Yep. I grew up in Louisville, and watched UL growing up. Didn't really pull for them, but didn't dislike them, either. Once Peck Hickman left, and especially when Denny got there, it all changed, along with the attitude of the fans. From that point on, UL fans wanted to compete with UK, which is fine, but they wanted to tear down UK, rather than promote UL. That continues to this day.

Last edited:
I will pull for all of the other school in KY. but never for UL. I have worked with a lot of UL fans and that was what turned me against UL. I would love to see them lose every game.

Reactions: eacsxt
A true UK fan would NEVER pull for UL.

I'm a true UK fan and have been since the late 50s (held season tickets for 35 or so years until the home OCC got so loaded with popcorn state teams, as Coach Cal likes to call them, that it wasn't worth the two-hour drive and the money to watch such non-competitive games).

And I pull for UL unless they are playing UK, Morehead State (undergrad alma mater) or Marshall (close to home).

As a life-long Kentucky resident, it seems juvenile to not support Kentucky-based teams. Of course, there are a lot of Rafters posters that don't consider Jefferson County to be a part of Kentucky and wish the Ohio River, as it worked its way Southwest, had made a sharp turn South at the Northeast corner of the Jefferson County line and continued along the entire county line before turning Southwest again. :sunglasses:

If you're like me, you can count them on one hand.

When I moved away from Kentucky for 15 years, I stopped hating U of L because there were no fans around to annoy me like there are here. In fact, if you meet a Louisville fan in...say...Florida, they usually are friendly and talk positively about UK. Still, there were only a couple of times I ever pulled for them to win.

1. 1997 or 1998 Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Dejuan Wheat got hurt and the game was basically over soon after it started.

2. 2008 (I think) Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Carolina again was loaded and U of L did well just to tie the game with like five minutes to go, but then Hansbrough took over. Game was in Charlotte.

3. 1975 Final Four vs. UCLA.....I was very young and liked both teams, what can I say?

If you live anywhere near Jefferson County, the fans rule out any consideration for rooting for Louisville. I have been OK with some of their guys, but man ... those fans sour it.

I'm a true UK fan and have been since the late 50s (held season tickets for 35 or so years until the home OCC got so loaded with popcorn state teams, as Coach Cal likes to call them, that it wasn't worth the two-hour drive and the money to watch such non-competitive games).

And I pull for UL unless they are playing UK, Morehead State (undergrad alma mater) or Marshall (close to home).

As a life-long Kentucky resident, it seems juvenile to not support Kentucky-based teams. Of course, there are a lot of Rafters posters that don't consider Jefferson County to be a part of Kentucky and wish the Ohio River, as it worked its way Southwest, had made a sharp turn South at the Northeast corner of the Jefferson County line and continued along the entire county line before turning Southwest again. :sunglasses:
I sincerely doubt you are a UK fan. Maybe a casual fan but not a bleed blue fan.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but you lost me with the condescending remark, completely unnecessary. It's obvious you have never lived in Jefferson Co.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but you lost me with the condescending remark, completely unnecessary. It's obvious you have never lived in Jefferson Co.

The "condescending remark" was made by someone else who said "no true Blue UK fan would ever pull for UL". The person you replied to was implying saying he is also a "true Blue UK fan" even though he has pulled for UL. Obviously you have never lived outside of KY, especially in the middle of Tobacco Road. I am not so arrogant as to say "no true Blue UK fan would ever pull for UNC/Duke)". I wouldn't/won't, but realize others don't live where I do.

The "condescending remark" was made by someone else who said "no true Blue UK fan would ever pull for UL". The person you replied to was implying saying he is also a "true Blue UK fan" even though he has pulled for UL. Obviously you have never lived outside of KY, especially in the middle of Tobacco Road. I am not so arrogant as to say "no true Blue UK fan would ever pull for UNC/Duke)". I wouldn't/won't, but realize others don't live where I do.

JonathanW Have you ever live in KY? If you have you would know about these UL fans and their dislike for UK. They are no different than UNC*** fans to me. I don't like anything about UL.

The one poster said it best. A lot depends on the players on the team. U of L has consistently had turds in its program. We've had a few, but Cousins is the only one I can remember who went into the U of L game with a chip on his shoulder, whereas they seem to have a couple of those guys every year. Like we did something to them and they're going to make us pay. WTF? Chris Jones, Mouthpiece, Rozier....turds. Hancock...a turd of a different feather. Never seemed to have it in for UK, but I hated the way he played. Meanwhile, Siva, Russ and Dieng were awesome kids. Kouric, too. And I don't really see any turds on next year's team....yet.

JonathanW Have you ever live in KY? If you have you would know about these UL fans and their dislike for UK. They are no different than UNC*** fans to me. I don't like anything about UL.

I grew up in KY, spending my first 23 years there. Living in SouthCentral KY I never even met a UL fan until I went to college.

In my house, Louisville is aka New Albany South. [roll]

You did not recognize the "condescending remark". It was when he said it was juvenile to not root for all Ky teams.

Zero point zero...if there was a number lower than zero, that would be the number.

I don't care if they played ISIS.

maybe 4 or 5 times as a kid. my dad went to school there and took me to a few games when I was really young. Apparently, I liked the Cardinal (go figure) The dream game happened wen I was 6 though, and that's when my experience of obnoxious UL fans began. Never again.

ZERO..... Before the 1974-75 season I may have, I don't remember. But starting with the 74-75 season never. I once pulled for the Soviet Union to beat UL in an exhibition game. If they play ISIS I might pull for the UL then.

Reactions: westerncat
If you're like me, you can count them on one hand.

When I moved away from Kentucky for 15 years, I stopped hating U of L because there were no fans around to annoy me like there are here. In fact, if you meet a Louisville fan in...say...Florida, they usually are friendly and talk positively about UK. Still, there were only a couple of times I ever pulled for them to win.

1. 1997 or 1998 Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Dejuan Wheat got hurt and the game was basically over soon after it started.

2. 2008 (I think) Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Carolina again was loaded and U of L did well just to tie the game with like five minutes to go, but then Hansbrough took over. Game was in Charlotte.

3. 1975 Final Four vs. UCLA.....I was very young and liked both teams, what can I say?

Occasionally I have rooted for a team they are playing to lose!

I sincerely doubt you are a UK fan. Maybe a casual fan but not a bleed blue fan.

"(N)ot a bleed blue fan", aka a true UK fan, because I happen to root for U of L?? As a season-ticket holder for FB and BB for 30+ years who watches or listens to nearly every UK FB or BB game, I qualify as a bleed blue fan, i.e., a true UK fan.

And frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what a lot posters, such as yourself who think a person must hate U of L in order to be a true fan, think! :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Just call 'em as I see 'em! :sunglasses:

By the way, condescending is an appropriate adjective for the group of obnoxious UK fans that hold themselves above the normal true UK fan, simply because the normal true UK fan does not hate on U of L.

I will admit to pulling for them on one occasion and that was the game against UCLA in 1975 because I thought we had a better shot at beating them in San Diego than UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT