ADVERTISEMENT

How many times have you ever pulled for Louisville?

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
If you're like me, you can count them on one hand.

When I moved away from Kentucky for 15 years, I stopped hating U of L because there were no fans around to annoy me like there are here. In fact, if you meet a Louisville fan in...say...Florida, they usually are friendly and talk positively about UK. Still, there were only a couple of times I ever pulled for them to win.

1. 1997 or 1998 Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Dejuan Wheat got hurt and the game was basically over soon after it started.

2. 2008 (I think) Elite Eight vs. North Carolina.....Carolina again was loaded and U of L did well just to tie the game with like five minutes to go, but then Hansbrough took over. Game was in Charlotte.

3. 1975 Final Four vs. UCLA.....I was very young and liked both teams, what can I say?

Never nervous Pervis, Billy Thompson and Milt Wagner over Duke.

Good job Denny...

I used to not have much off a problem with Louisville until about 10 years ago. It just seems around that time they started getting real Cocky.

The last time I cheered for UofL was in the 1980 title game against UCLA. I wasn't a fan of theirs but I didn't hate them either. After they won, their fans became so obnoxious that it got to the point where I couldn't stand the school. I vowed then to never cheer for the Cardinals again and, to this day, I never have again.

Every time they play. We are a house divided but I love my wife and will support her fandom for the Cards.

I might point out that the three times I can remember pulling for them, they lost.

Only once, made that mistake and will never pull for OTIS again. They are scum in my book.

I've never rooted for the filthy cards and never will. Part of my no cards policy.

zo9dg7.jpg

Almost any game unless they play UK. I like most of the players, not the biggest fan of Pitino, but the guy is a good coach.

I'd rather have Calipari though, and I'm glad UK does.

Some people say "keep it in the state"; it's hard to believe that anyone that's a UK fan could have cheered for UL in 2013, unless they had family ties. I rooted for Louisville to beat Carolina in 08', and Michigan State in 09', because I was a Pitino fan. After Calipari came, the fans have become insufferable. I HATE Louisville now. I hate UCLA more than any other, but they have been mostly irrelevant. I don't hate Duke, as I didn't see the Laettner game. I rooted for Wisky, until Bo Ryan showed how much of a d-bag he is. I generally cheer for the underdog (I rooted for Butler against Duke), but I respect K and Pitino. But the Louisville fans. Oh yeah, and eff Carolina.

Reactions: BillyBones
I rarely do. I did against Duke in 2013...I figured whoever won that game would win the title. UL getting to 3 (with no more in sight for a long time IMO) was better than Duke getting to 5. If not for UL, we'd have to hear about how Coach K has won 3 titles in 6 years and is gunning for UK with 6 titles and only 2 behind UK with the Duke hype machine going strong.

Note: I also live in TN. I think people that have not been in KY in that area near Lexington and Louisville are probably less inclined to hate all things UL with a passion. My hatred stems more from the traitor Pitino than what I consider a fairly irrelevant program.

Back in the 60's and 70's I tolerated them but didn't pull for them,Crum came along and never have never will.

Never. When I was a kid I was just indifferent to them.

I have a grandma on the other hand that rooted for them too. Not as much as Kentucky but she always cheered.

I used to pull for them every once in a blue moon if the circumstances were just right.

That changed when social media took off. Pitino taking the job there didn't help either. Now, Petrino is just the turd on top of it all.

I'll never pull for them again, ever.

A true UK fan would NEVER pull for UL.

I pull for Louisville when they play someone else other than UK. Louisville has been a good basketball school since I started following basketball.

UK has always held the upper hand over Louisville but they have been a tough rival and gained recognition nation wide. They have always been a tough competitor for UK and I believe the competition has helped UK become a stronger team because of it.

I guess your quote about "A true UK fan would NEVER pull for U of L is just a Myth" because I am a big supporter of UK. I know fans have fun with their insults back and forth, some of it true and some not so true. lol.

I also pull for Western, Murray, Morehead, Eastern, Northern KY. as long as they represent the State of Kentucky.

Never in basketball. Several years ago I did root for their baseball team because I knew family of someone on the team. It was just for the one season.

The last time I cheered for UofL was in the 1980 title game against UCLA. I wasn't a fan of theirs but I didn't hate them either. After they won, their fans became so obnoxious that it got to the point where I couldn't stand the school. I vowed then to never cheer for the Cardinals again and, to this day, I never have again.
I didn't even pull for them in '82 when they played the Soviet Union In a scrimmage game

Reactions: westerncat
Any time they play Duke I back UL. I hate Duke with a passion, I don't like their coach, I don't like the simpering whiny manner he uses on the court and I despise their unseemly relationship with ESPN. I'm likely to add the Institution of North Carolina (henceforth INC) to that list. I do not think INC bears the credentials necessary to play college basketball, save perhaps NAIA. They are unworthy to face a division 1 basketball team, even UL, given their fraudulent academic behavior.

Otherwise, I don't care if Louisville returns home on the plane. If they win, fine, lose fine, get lost between the locker room and the court, fine.

ADVERTISEMENT