ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you almost never watch NBA

Just wondered . I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of an NBA game in five years . Used to watch only the finals but stopped that . Find it extremely boring .

the only thing I care about is watching UK basketball and the better college games .
Am ,I alone In this or are there other college only fans on this board?
I only watch the NBA in the playoffs and sparingly then. The playoffs is the only time they attempt to play defense.

Only thing I've seen consistently entertaining in the NBA is Charles Barkley at halftime.
Not a big NBA fan. Really lost interest when the talk got going that David Robinson wasn't marketable because he didn't gave 'street cred' enough to sell basketball shoes.

Yeah, just being too political. Very left-leaning, politically. Having BLM painted on the floor, kneeling for the National Anthem, ties with Chinese slave labor, LJ stirring up racial tensions, etc. The list goes on. It's the same with all pro sports, and pretty much college too, if you dig deep enough. That's why UK sucking so bad doesn't bother me nearly as bad as it would have 5 years ago. Everything changed during the "pandemic". They've pretty much drawn a line down the middle of the country and said, we don't want you as a fan. So I'm not.

I agree with you. That's true with every sport and pretty much every TV show and movie as well. I still watch TV and movies though. I don't watch sports as much because there are so many better options to watch on TV.

Yeah I remember players bombing step back 3s from 35 feet 25 years ago (eye roll). Craig Hodges and Steve Kerr were the knock down shooters from the Jordan teams. There shots were mostly stand still jumpers from just behind the line. Hell, All threes were pretty much just behind the line. The range of the players nowadays is crazy and the handles are unbelievable. I really think the AND 1 Phenomenon of the 2000s lead to more NBA players improving their ability to handle the ball thus enhancing their ability to create their own shot. The biggest and only thing I really hate about the NBA is something that has been going on since the 60s. ISO ball where the players back their defenders down or shoot a fade away. I really hate when the player is allowed to palm the ball constantly while backing down the defender. The player should be made to beat the defender off the dribble though basketball handling skills rather than palm the ball and bully their man backwards.
Steph Curry is a great 3pt shooter who would have been great in any era, I would never dispute that. I simply said that he and others wouldn't be putting up the same kinds of numbers in the 90s that they are today. There are factors that wouldn't have allowed it. The style of play was different, the schemes and skills that were focused on were different, the things you were allowed to do defensively were different, the 3 pt shot was not emphasized then the way it is today.

The league scoring avg per game in the 90s was 106, this year it was almost 118. That's 12 pts more per game that are going to go into player's scoring avgs today that wouldn't have in the 90s. 12 x30 teams = 360 more pts to go into player averages across the league. There were 6 guys that averaged over 30/gm this year. In the 90s, unless it was MJ, there weren't any other guys who averaged 30/gm. There were a few years when there wasn't a single 30pt/gm scorer.

This in an era that saw MJ, Shaq, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson. Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler and lots of other all time greats play. MJ would average 40+\gm in today's league, easily. I'm not the only one who thinks it either, just listen to anyone whose lived through and witnessed the different eras of the modern game, they all say the same thing. Guys putting up numbers in today's league isn't just because they're that much better than the guys before them. Most of the guys from the 90s would be chomping at the bit to play in a league that won't allow defenders to touch an offensive player.

Are you telling me you think that Luka Doncic, Damian Lillard and Steph Curry & SGA are better than MJ just because of their inflated stats? Because if you are, I think we can stop discussing things right there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stan the caddy
I can honestly say I have not watched the NBA since the days of Jordan and Bird. To be fair, I have weaned myself off Cal's brand of basketball and watch if I have nothing else to do. Hopefully when he finally leaves I will get back to watching every game. I don't care for the man and that won't change, he has ruined what was once a religion for me. Never ever thought it would happen but it is what it is.

Yeah, just being too political. Very left-leaning, politically. Having BLM painted on the floor, kneeling for the National Anthem, ties with Chinese slave labor, LJ stirring up racial tensions, etc. The list goes on. It's the same with all pro sports, and pretty much college too, if you dig deep enough. That's why UK sucking so bad doesn't bother me nearly as bad as it would have 5 years ago. Everything changed during the "pandemic". They've pretty much drawn a line down the middle of the country and said, we don't want you as a fan. So I'm not.
While some of that occurred in 2020, I don't think it does now, which is why I said when I turn on the Playoffs, I'm just seeing high quality basketball. I disagree with your line down the middle of the country part. Kerr and Pop randomly brought their personal political feelings into pressers and I'm sure LeBron has said some silly stuff too (there's no evidence he stirred up racial tensions in the country fwiw), but the NBA, NFL, and NCAA never said "we don't want you as a fan." That's how you took it. I could care less about BLM, but they're not the spooky terrorist organization some here believe they are. "End Racism" was put on the court during the NBA bubble. I would hope seeing "End Racism" on your tv screen wouldn't upset you. One would think we should all agree with that mindset. It seemed when players began speaking out about their personal experiences with racism, some didn't want to listen and shouted on social media for them to shut up and play for our entertainment. Me thinks a few here would've crushed Ali back in the day too and wanted him to shut up.

I appreciate the response but you've already said you miss watching the NFL. We have one life, it just seems silly to punish yourself and not watch something you enjoy simply because you disagreed with a message in 2020. In 2019, those players still felt the same yet you watched. The NBA and China have worked together for a long time so that's nothing new either. It's your choice, but I can't imagine not watching sports anymore simply because players knelt for a couple minutes or wore a shirt that simply said Black Lives Matter. You do you though, it's your life.

Last edited:
This explains why you think calipari is doing a great job. If you actually watched what everyone else has been doing, you wouldn't work so hard to defend the 6 wins Cal has over ranked teams (in 22 tries) and recruiting banners.
Except I don’t defend that.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Except I don’t defend that.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
Reading comprehension? You defend Cal every day on here, you ignore the failures and shove recruiting class banners in our faces.

You ignore the ridiculously bad state of affairs that is here and now and you use a title that was won 11 years ago as your argument that things are fine now.

Reading comprehension of your own posts needs to start being your friend.

Just wondered . I haven’t watched more than a few minutes of an NBA game in five years . Used to watch only the finals but stopped that . Find it extremely boring .

the only thing I care about is watching UK basketball and the better college games .
Am ,I alone In this or are there other college only fans on this board?
The NBA is not important to me. UK basketball is... and watching Duke, Kansas, Louisville lose.

I watch all the time. Get League Pass every year for like the last 7 years, I love watching the best basketball players on Earth do amazing things.

Reactions: JDHoss
Really don’t start watching until the playoffs. Load management, 82 games and not having a local team all contribute to it being my 5th favorite sport behind Men’s College Bball, NFL, College Football and Horse Racing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT