ADVERTISEMENT

How many games will the Reds lose in 2023?

How many games will the Reds lose in 2023?

• Total voters
Won't be near .500 this season. Going 74-88 and that may be generous. Have to consider last year's team that lost 100 games had on the roster Castillo, Mahle, Farmer & Drury. None of which are back on this team. Pleased by the rookie seasons Greene & Lodolo had. I expect they will make a huge leap forward this year barring any injury setbacks. Ashcraft's late season injury concerns me and has been roughed up this spring making me think there might be some lingering issues. Alexis Diaz is a promising young closer and Lucas Sims is healthy again. Antone & Santillan expected to return at some point this year.

Love the acquisition of Will Benson from Cleveland as a 5 tool player in CF. It will be a huge mistake if the Reds dick off with dead weight like Senzel in CF over the likes of Benson or Friedl. Fraley once healthy was one of the Reds most consistent hitters in the 2nd half and like him in LF. Glad Moose is gone but his contract is still on the books this year and the 2024 buyout. Still paying Ken Griffey Jr. over $3.5 million a year through 2024. Likely Votto's last season as the Reds would be insane to pick up his $20 million option in 2024. Offense is the biggest concern for me. Need Stephenson to stay healthy and plan to use him at catcher 65 games with Casali/Maile backing him up. India will need to bounce back closer to his 2021 form and stay healthy. Looking forward to a full season of Spencer Steer in MLB and the addition of Wil Myers in RF.

If Barrero is hitting barely above the Mendoza line by June I would pull the plug on the experiment with him and turn the keys over to Elly De La Cruz or Matt McLain and don't look back. Would be great to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand make his MLB Debut and is mashing the ball in Spring Training right now. Hope Brandon Williamson makes the team out of Spring Training and at some point see Levi Stoudt debut as well this year to fill out the starting rotation. A name to look out for, Henry Ramos is having a solid spring to start and may be able to give the Reds some depth in the outfield. If the Reds use 2023 properly in another rebuilding year, bring up these top prospects and get some experience for the young guys, they will be off to a nice start building towards a contender again in 2024-25.

Last edited:
Won't be near .500 this season. Going 74-88 and that may be generous. Have to consider last year's team that lost 100 games had on the roster Castillo, Mahle, Farmer & Drury. None of which are back on this team. Pleased by the rookie seasons Greene & Lodolo had. I expect they will make a huge leap forward this year barring any injury setbacks. Ashcraft's late season injury concerns me and has been roughed up this spring making me think there might be some lingering issues. Alexis Diaz is a promising young closer and Lucas Sims is healthy again. Antone & Santillan expected to return at some point this year.

Love the acquisition of Will Benson from Cleveland as a 5 tool player in CF. It will be a huge mistake if the Reds dick off with dead weight like Senzel in CF over the likes of Benson or Friedl. Fraley once healthy was one of the Reds most consistent hitters in the 2nd half and like him in LF. Glad Moose is gone but his contract is still on the books this year and the 2024 buyout. Still paying Ken Griffey Jr. over $3.5 million a year through 2024. Likely Votto's last season as the Reds would be insane to pick up his $20 million option in 2024. Offense is the biggest concern for me. Need Stephenson to stay healthy and plan to use him at catcher 65 games with Casali/Maile backing him up. India will need to bounce back closer to his 2021 form and stay healthy. Looking forward to a full season of Spencer Steer in MLB and the addition of Wil Myers in RF.

If Barrero is hitting barely above the Mendoza line by June I would pull the plug on the experiment with him and turn the keys over to Elly De La Cruz or Matt McLain and don't look back. Would be great to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand make his MLB Debut and is mashing the ball in Spring Training right now. Hope Brandon Williamson makes the team out of Spring Training and at some point see Levi Stoudt debut as well this year to fill out the starting rotation. A name to look out for, Henry Ramos is having a solid spring to start and may be able to give the Reds some depth in the outfield. If the Reds use 2023 properly in another rebuilding year, bring up these top prospects and get some experience for the young guys, they will be off to a nice start building towards a contender again in 2024-25.
My prediction 68-94. For many of the reasons you mention above though only Farmer made it through the end of 2022. This team will be even younger. I fully expect the Reds to wait until September like they did with Steer to bring up players like ELDC, CES or McLain so they can retain another year of service time. The worst thing the Reds can do is repeat the mistakes of the last decade once they had a couple of winning seasons trading off prospects for rentals they can't afford to keep or signing players like Castellanos who will walk rather than extending the current young stars that they have to build around for a number of years. This last go around trying to contend lasted a whopping 1 year and backed into the playoffs getting hot in the final 2 weeks of the 2 month 2020 season. The stretch of winning from 2010-13 had a losing 2011 season and couldn't even win a playoff series.

The pipeline is deep beyond the top prospects like CES, ELDC, McLain etc. You have Noelvi Marte, Edwin Arroyo, Cam Collier, Carlos Jorge, Jay Allen II & Sal Stewart as well as promising young pitchers like Andrew Abbott, Chase Petty, Connor Phillips & Bryce Hubbart. The Reds need to find some outfield depth as their highest rated outfield prospect Allen isn't projected to arrive until 2025. Will need Tyler Stephenson to stay healthy as the catching depth in the pipeline is a ways off too. Vellojin has struggled in the minors, Logan Tanner still in A Ball and everyone else far off from making their MLB Debut as well. Realistically, I don't see them above .500 again until 2025 or 2026 at the earliest. Not everyone will hit the ground running as a rookie like India & Stephenson in 2021 or the young starters Greene, Lodolo & Ashcraft last year.

As long as this blowhard bullshitter's family owns the the Reds, you have not seen the last 100 loss season in Cincinnati. 2-year windows to contend in then blow it all up in another fire sale. Rinse and repeat with a few winning seasons sprinkled in once a decade in the Castellini Regime.

efe.jpg

The Reds have not won a playoff series since 1995. Bob Castellini bought the team in 2006 vowing to return championship baseball to Cincinnati then immediately began hiring ownership team insiders and family members to key positions within the organization. Professional baseball is not like selling produce. The results are obvious.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I still have them losing 90+ games but I'll take Ashcraft over the other 2 just based on that filthy slider he displayed yesterday.
Another 90 loss season in the books with this team. Ashcraft has had a great spring and the last 2 starts vs Cleveland & San Diego looked dominant. Pumping the brakes on the Brandon Williamson train after giving up 9 runs yesterday. Hopefully before September players like ELDC, CES, Williamson, McLain make it to Cincinnati and push for .500 in 2024. Probably more like 2025 at this point in the event a few of them hit the rookie wall and don't hit the ground running like India in 2021 and the big 3 in the rotation to finish the year.

Last edited:
I'll take Greene, Lodolo & Ashcraft any day over Lucas Giolito at 97 with his 4.90 ERA.
Giolito is another Homer Bailey. Overrated and claim to fame a no-hitter with subpar career numbers. I don't know that any of them are Top 100 players though.
I still have them losing 90+ games but I'll take Ashcraft over the other 2 just based on that filthy slider he displayed yesterday.
Still like Greene & Lodolo long term more. The numbers put up down the stretch by Greene & Lodolo showed significant improvement in the 2nd half. Ashcraft faltered down the stretch last year after the injury. He looks healthy now but taking the start the other night vs San Diego at face value considering it was their AAA lineup. Still has more to prove than the other 2 IMO.

Giolito is another Homer Bailey. Overrated and claim to fame a no-hitter with subpar career numbers. I don't know that any of them are Top 100 players though.

Still like Greene & Lodolo long term more. The numbers put up down the stretch by Greene & Lodolo showed significant improvement in the 2nd half. Ashcraft faltered down the stretch last year after the injury. He looks healthy now but taking the start the other night vs San Diego at face value considering it was their AAA lineup. Still has more to prove than the other 2 IMO.
Tbh, I liked Ashcraft better last year as well. Better control as I recall. Yesterday's performance only solidified it for me.

Tbh, I liked Ashcraft better last year as well. Better control as I recall. Yesterday's performance only solidified it for me.
Don't know about that when you look at the number of hits per 9 innings given up compared to the others. Ashcraft with a 1.419 WHIP vs Greene 1.210 & Lodolo 1.248 isn't really close. Still has more to prove before I would put him above Lodolo or Greene. Only area Graham was better was with BB/9 but not so much more. Greene was mowing them down in the 2nd half with a 1.02 ERA, 2.92 ERA for Lodolo and 5.36 for Ashcraft. They're all 3 great pitchers, Cincinnati will be lucky to keep any of them in a few years but need to see more from Ashcraft to believe he is the ace of this rotation.

I love baseball but God dangit I hate baseball season. Let’s just fast forward to the fall. We’re about to be in a shitty time of the year outside of a few weeks of good golf and tennis. Will Bally Sports be able to pay the Reds some dough?

I wonder if the shift ban will force India to the OF soon since he’s not really a maestro out there in the middle infield - where the Reds have a glut of talent.
Should definitely be considered more aggressively by this franchise. Position versatility is something you are seeing across MLB these days whether that be with Trevor Story, Jeff McNeill, in the past Kris Bryant playing in the outfield and even shifting Senzel from the infield to the outfield in previous years to name a few examples. Something has to give with the logjam of infielders and shortstops coming up in the pipeline then to select 2 3B in the 1st round last year. Last week, the Reds threw Barrero in CF again for a game for the 1st time since 2021 despite being known for his glove at SS. Then you have SS Matt McLain who logged 58 games in the outfield at UCLA.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcrow10
14-20. On pace for about 95 losses.

My stepdad and I watched the Reds/White Sox game yesterday, and I'll be damned, it didn't suck. The pitch clock's the best addition to the game in a long, long time.

Reactions: roguemocha
I was there last night, place was packed and lit up! If you didn't enjoy that game, then baseball is just not for you. If the Reds get their starting pitchers back in action, think they will make the playoffs, their starting lineup is really good, fast, great defensively, terrific closer, in short, the kind of team that will be a tough out in the playoffs.

I dunno how many do they have now?

Thinkin bout just goin with that number.

This thread cut a 180.

Reactions: Nuke99m
I was there last night, place was packed and lit up! If you didn't enjoy that game, then baseball is just not for you. If the Reds get their starting pitchers back in action, think they will make the playoffs, their starting lineup is really good, fast, great defensively, terrific closer, in short, the kind of team that will be a tough out in the playoffs.
From an entertainment standpoint on TV, that was one of the best MLB games I've ever watched. Can't imagine how awesome it would've been to be there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT