ADVERTISEMENT

How Far?

Ahhh.... the movement. What glorious days those were.
Tommy "Hot Lips" Crean got a few wins, a sweet sixteen, and started "the movement" at a blue blood that had fell on hard times. That sense of hope mustered up an iconic popcorn box, and not much else.

I love Pope, and I love the energy he has injected back into the program...but I think it's a reasonable thing to just take it one game at a time for now. He definitely knows the weight, but give him a chance to feel it on his shoulders and settle in to it.

I think UK now has the individual players to be really good with a good coach (which I think Pope will be). The biggest danger to this happening in my mind is how the pieces come together is a single season. The parts could all be there but the fit be wrong.

As the Summer rolls along and people have more time to look at this roster, they are going to realize that it's a damn good roster loaded with experience. I have no doubt that Pope and the staff will get them all on the same page.
I think we will be in the thick of the SEC race and give fans that travel to Nashville more than a 1 game stay.
As we all know, the dance is about match-up in any bracket so I have no clue how we will do but I honestly think a sweet 16 run with these players is a minimum. I'm very pleased so far with how this group is and we aren't done yet.

Another thing to note about BYU that season is that they were Kenpom rated 18th. That's actually better than the 23rd we finished despite the fact we were a 3 seed and they were a 6 seed. So they were kind of undervalued at 6.
The selection committee bumped them from a #5 seed to a #6 seed due to religious reasons. (They won’t compete on Sunday’s) But the committee noted their resume was good enough for a #5 seed.

You gotta love this thread. One poster says add this guy top 5.
Another poster add this guy (completely different position and type player) than first poster says to add. Top 5.
Poster 3 Add this guy and that guy top 5. Again 2 completely different players than post 1 and 2.
It's laughable. Fact is nobody here knows how this team will do or what players that's out their if added will make a huge difference.

BYU finished 23-11, 10-8 in the Big 12 which was good for 5th and made the NCAA tournament as a 6 seed. So you have to ask yourself a couple of questions....

Do we have more talent than last years BYU team? I would say yes and if we get Robinson a definite yes.

Will the SEC be better next year than the Big 12 was this year. I would tend to say no but I don't think the Big 12 would be significantly better IMO.

So if both of those things are true you would have to expect us to at least be equal to the season BYU had last year. If we do get Robinson I could see a 25 win season, top 4 finish in the SEC, make it to Saturday in the SEC tournament and a chance at a Sweet 16 with the right matchups. Maybe I am just being too optimistic but that is my story and I am sticking to it.
I don't think you're being too optimistic at all.

With Robinson, we'll have a guy who can give us 14 to 16/game.

We already have two all-conference level defenders.

Carr, Brea, Oweh can all give you double digit scoring as supplemental pieces for Robinson.

We have the best shooter in the country and another point guard with Final Four experience.

You're one piece (Robinson) away from being a Sweet Sixteen team and two pieces (Poplar) away from being an Elite Eight contender.

Many of y’all are undervaluing this team as it stands today, and it’s only going to get better!

Probably going to take a couple of seasons to detox from the lack of overrated 5*’s on UK’s roster🤣 All good though, you guys will eventually come around after you sober up from the Cal-Aid binge you’ve all been on.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT