ADVERTISEMENT

Not Just a Random Collection of Players

I think we are about to see the difference between strategically recruiting to build a cohesive team vs recruiting only the highest available players. Using a cooking analogy, randomly combining the best ingredients in a cooking container/pot won't assure a great tasting meal. The quality of the ingredients won't matter if they don't blend effectively to enhance the taste of the other ingredients. Coach Pope realizes that just randomly signing the best available players to build a team won't likely produce a good team if the individual players don't blend well to effectively enhance the unique skills of their teammates. If just one ingredient/player is off, it is likely to ruin the entire meal/team. I believe Coach Pope is going to show us that if the right diversity of players, some average some very good, are brought together, they can become a great team. This is going to be a very exciting upcoming season to watch playout.
May be a rollercoaster ride, but it won't be a lack of effort.
Pitino"s first team finished 15-15 and the effort was amazing.
They got better every year and I won't be surprised to see the same from Pope.

There is nothing wrong with star power. However, I think you get a little more out of guys who most likely won't play in the NBA. They want to win at the highest level of college basketball because they realize they are most likely at the end of the road and want to go out as winners.

Reactions: littlecreek
May be a rollercoaster ride, but it won't be a lack of effort.
Pitino"s first team finished 15-15 and the effort was amazing.
They got better every year and I won't be surprised to see the same from Pope.
If something doesn't work the first half, I don't think he will double down on stupid by doing it in the second half. As a matter of find, I expect to see a lot of in-game adjustments. We will see a coach doing what he is paid to do, coach!

Last edited:
Reactions: littlecreek
If something doesn't work the first half, I don't think he will double down on stupid by it in the second half. As a matter of find, I expect to see a lot of in-game adjustments. We will see a coach doing what he is paid to do, coach!
I understand.
That's why I expect him to be successful.

Reactions: LmdCat
A good example of this is UCONN. I couldn't name one player last year or this year until I watched the FF and most people wouldn't have been able to either.

People see the allure of #1 classes each year under Calipari without success. Calipari would have been fired 4 years ago if Mitch hadn't been the AD.

I'm excited about this year because Pope wants guys who are wanting to win, not come to Kentucky just to ride the Big Blue wave until the NBA draft. Arkansas fans can now indulge in Calipari's vision for Arkansas: The NBA draft

A good example of this is UCONN. I couldn't name one player last year or this year until I watched the FF and most people wouldn't have been able to either.

People see the allure of #1 classes each year under Calipari without success. Calipari would have been fired 4 years ago if Mitch hadn't been the AD.

I'm excited about this year because Pope wants guys who are wanting to win, not come to Kentucky just to ride the Big Blue wave until the NBA draft. Arkansas fans can now indulge in Calipari's vision for Arkansas: The NBA draft
Don't forget. He is too embarrassed to even refer to them by their actual name. It is Calipari U.

I think we are about to see the difference between strategically recruiting to build a cohesive team vs recruiting only the highest available players. Using a cooking analogy, randomly combining the best ingredients in a cooking container/pot won't assure a great tasting meal. The quality of the ingredients won't matter if they don't blend effectively to enhance the taste of the other ingredients. Coach Pope realizes that just randomly signing the best available players to build a team won't likely produce a good team if the individual players don't blend well to effectively enhance the unique skills of their teammates. If just one ingredient/player is off, it is likely to ruin the entire meal/team. I believe Coach Pope is going to show us that if the right diversity of players, some average some very good, are brought together, they can become a great team. This is going to be a very exciting upcoming season to watch playout.

I think your assumption is absolutely correct

Coach Pope is taking our beloved program back to it's roots, to what all of our great teams had in common : playing as a team, playing for their teammates, and playing for name on the front of their jersey: KENTUCKY. He not only understands there's much, much more to building a team, he also knows how to build a team we will all be proud to call Kentucky Wildcats. I love what he's putting together, and how passionate he is in all things UK. I'm all in on Coach Pope.

Eh...generally speaking, I never had a problem with the rosters Cal constructed. The majority were capable of making deep runs; however, they generally lacked the type of coaching needed to make that deep run.

Give me Pope coaching last years team, no doubt we are out of the first weekend at a minimum.
The only roster issues I had were instead of grabbing the best 2-3 players in an average class and having 2-3 of the best prior players not ready for the NBA to return. He would instead grab those 2-3 and 4 other kids who wouldn’t make an impact. Instead of using the portal to get talent that fit and made us better overall he would only plug 1 or maybe 2 of them in a lineup. Then he would not play the best players he had!

I’m still convinced Kriisa is rotten and expired and we’re throwing him into our UK stew. But the decision has been made….so all there is left to do is sit back and observe Chef Pope cook. Can’t be a food critic until we have played 6-8 games.
No offense but I think you are waaaay off on both fronts.

Pope recruited him out of HS. Pope later recruited him a 2nd time in the transfer portal but he chose WVU instead. This is the 3rd time Pope has recruited him. I would say that out of all of the players on this squad…Kriisa is exactly what Pope is looking for to fit his system. This wasn’t a take what’s left, roster-filler, panic move type decision. Quite the opposite.

Also, judging anything about next season’s team (including Kriisa’s fit) based on the first 6-8 games would be like judging a 5 course meal based on the bread they bring out while you are looking at the menu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT