ADVERTISEMENT

How does anyone recruit at BYU? Did you know this?

Lots of Latter Day Saints really want to go to college there. It's ground zero for their faith. If there are 2 or 3 really good players a year that happen to be Mormon, it's their dream school. The sex and caffeine restrictions is something that have been raised in, its just an extension of their local church/family practices.

Maybe Coach Pope can clear all this up on his first call in show.

Yeah, I'm not worried about his recruiting when he gets here. It's nearly impossible to recruit at BYU. My biggest hesitation has been he has had decent teams and crapped the best in the postseason.

Reactions: JDHoss
So is that more of a university thing or a HC thing? I'm guessing it's mandates from the university.
It’s a university thing. Their president derailed the Jimmer Fredette season by suspending their best defender and arguable best all around player and second scoring option heading into March bc he got busted having sex w his multi year GF/ fiancé

Reactions: Catscratchfever8
So is that more of a university thing or a HC thing? I'm guessing it's mandates from the university.
It's a mormon thing from the University. That and they used to require guys do missions as well, so some guys would take two year hiatus from the roster. Has to be one of the most difficult to recruit to places in College Basketball, all the more reason to see that Pope might be a better coach than his record indicates because he was coaching at a place with those kinds of restrictions. Pretty amazing their football teams can have that kind of success too under those circumstances.

How did Jim McMahon get through there?
Speaking of McMahon, I was curious about what happened to him, and found out that over a decade ago, they said he was in the early stages of dementia, but he has made a startling recovery. I think he did some new treatment, but perhaps that diagnosis was in error, as I think once dementia sets in, it doesn't get better.

The ignorance of this board knows no bounds……comparing LDS to Scientology. I am Catholic born and raised in KY. But I lived 16 years out west and encountered Mormons on a daily basis. They are the nicest most down to earth people I ever met. If the entire world were LDS it would be a near perfect world. Idiots should not be making comments on a topic they know nothing about. As an aside, Pope is going to be a great coach at KY.

Wait…why are they against caffeine?
Arbitrary God stuff. Talked with a former professor at BYU a few weeks back. There were no caffeinated drinks like mountain dew or coffee or tea, but apparently, energy drinks are allowed? It seems like the heads of the faith and school just arbitrarily give up ground on what's forbidden or not.

The ignorance of this board knows no bounds……comparing LDS to Scientology. I am Catholic born and raised in KY. But I lived 16 years out west and encountered Mormons on a daily basis. They are the nicest most down to earth people I ever met. If the entire world were LDS it would be a near perfect world. Idiots should not be making comments on a topic they know nothing about. As an aside, Pope is going to be a great coach at KY.
Thank you for your comment. I have been a fan since the Cotton Nash days. I joined the Mormon church in 1979 while a student at UK. I have watched this board for many many years, and finally joined yesterday to respond to a post by someone noted as a "moderator". The post was ignorant to the point of being inaccurate in every single sentence. The thread was taken down by the time I made my post. I was previleged to meet Mark Pope at the 1997 regional semifinals in San Jose. Myself and 4 kids waited around after the game to see who we might meet, and Mark saw our UK gear outside the arena. He took his time to talk to my kids and signed all their shirts. He is a great guy. Will he be able to recruit at the level we need at UK? I do not know. Can he coach circles around what we have suffered through since 2015? We know the answer to that. Will we have basketball that is fun to watch? Absolutely.

Recruits have to sign a pledge to not have sex. And they do not serve caffeine products on campus. That they can get any players at all is a miracle.
Can't wear high water pants.

Can't grow any facial hair.

Can't "cuddle" (I presume this also means no PDA?).

The no coffee thing...man, I'd have died if I couldn't have coffee on those late night, procrastinated study cram sessions!

No playing basketball or any sport on Sundays.

I'm not into hammering peoples' religious beliefs, but I will poke and joke at the weird ones. Mormon and Scientology are just freaking weird and very oppressive of their followers. Much like a cult. About the only thing I can hop on board with is the multiple chicks thing. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT