ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers is the best bball movie ever

WGAS what Dook is doing.

Call a spade a spade.

UNC*** is responsible for the longest and most insidious cheating scandal in ncaa history.

Why UK fans pointing that out has your panties in such a knot is still a mystery...

Maybe they're baby blue colored panties?[eyeroll]

What are you, six years old? So you honestly think what UNC did in those years compares to what Sam Gilbert did at UCLA, or what we did under Cliff Hagan? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see UNC get the Syracuse treatment. But I'm not going to crow about it when we have our own skeletons. You are no better than Zipp.

Guys, settle down. The tractor thing was in the mid 70s. We eventually got caught, we paid our penalty. It's part of our history. It's why some of us cringe when people on here say "North Carolina is the cheatingest program in history!" UK basketball was a lot like every SEC football program back in the 70s and 80s. Hundred dollar handshakes. Parents taken care of. To whitewash it is silly. It is what it is. Accept the fact that we used to be one of those schools but CM Newton and the president (can't think of his name) hired Pitino and set up a system that has been adopted by many schools around the country. Sandy Bell is here now. We aren't one of those schools any more. Just the same, we as fans shouldn't be out there pointing fingers at other schools now. Like Greg Doyel said when he guest hosted KSR last year...it's not a good look.

Sorry but I don't feel that way, we didn't go around saying it was "the Kentucky Way" like the heel fans did so yes they deserve to listen to a little crap and finger pointing about their cheating past.

What are you, six years old? So you honestly think what UNC did in those years compares to what Sam Gilbert did at UCLA, or what we did under Cliff Hagan? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see UNC get the Syracuse treatment. But I'm not going to crow about it when we have our own skeletons. You are no better than Zipp.
Um, yes, far worse.

You're terrible.

Why was Jimmy so dead set against playing on the team in the beginning? I could never figure that out. Wouldn't his teacher (Barbara Hershey) want him to get a scholarship somewhere?
She didn't want him to play because she didn't "want him to sit around talking about the glory days" when he got older. And didn't "want him coaching Hickory when he's 50". Dumb reasons but that's what she said.

Reactions: dckala2
She didn't want him to play because she didn't "want him to sit around talking about the glory days" when he got older. And didn't "want him coaching Hickory when he's 50". Dumb reasons but that's what she said.

And he went along with it. Definitely a plot hole.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
Best line of the movie....

"I think it's time I start playing ball again (loud applause).......oh and one other thing....coach stays, I play...he goes, I go."

I've read a lot about the story, and though it's a great movie (my favorite sports film ever) and is definitely inspired by the Milan Miracle, much of it is artistic license. Major differences:

*Milan was already a power; they went very far (can't recall which round) the previous (52-53) season, and were hardly unknown in Indiana.

*Their coach was quite young (26), and it was his 2nd year with the team

*There was no shortage of players, and their star (Bobby Plump) played the whole season with no controversies.

*Unlike the action-packed climax of the movie, Milan held the ball almost the entire 4th quarter. Plump did take and make the winning shot.

*Finally, there was no drunk father. The drama surrounding the team in the film is all fictional.

Another difference

Their actual opponent was Intergrated Muncie Central not South Bend Central

I never could figure out their color scheme. Were they red and gold, or brown?

It's actually 45 miles. It's an amazing story. 150 students in the entire school. Beat Oscar Robertson in the semi finals and Muncie Central, a school with well over 1000 students in the final. Also my favorite basketball movie ever.
They beat Oscar Robertson in the quarter finals. And don't overlook Go Man Go (Hoop Dreams doesn't really count, it's a documentary).

I cannot disagree that "Hoosiers" is probably the best basketball movie ever. It is the best one I know of. I'm also a very big fan of "Finding Forrester."

The movie Blue Chips from the mouths of the producers of it and it's star Nick Nolte were based on two things, Bob Knight(Pete Bell/Nick Nolte) and UCLA(Western University). Everything else was just typical stuff that was happening all over the place, I'm I saying that UK wasn't dirtier than the dirtiest programs of that time? No, we were dirty as hell, I know a guy personally who played for UK in the 1970's and forget a tractor his parents did get a car given to them. But any notion the movie was based on UK is false.

Read Bill Simmons' review. He charted Jimmy's shooting stats, including in the back yard by the barn. Dude missed like two shots the whole movie.

Reactions: villefan76
I'm still waiting for that moment when I recognize the Picket Fence in a live game.

p172692_p_v7_aa.jpg

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
And Zipp is a Class A a-hole.

Quite an inspirational movie, especially the locker room speech.

15hhh1d.jpg

Clap-H2_zpsyviadcjw.gif
if clappy is coach, and he told his player to find out what the other player taste like by the end of the game, he is most certainly not using flavors of gum as an analogy but rather very literally wanting to know the taste of the young man in uniform on the opposite team.

no way ollie isn't wearing a chastity belt with clappy creeping around.

If your being serious, you are a idiot.
Maybe that specific example is BS, but if you don't believe that the UK boosters ran wild in the 1970s furnishing cash and gifts to recruits and players then you are either really naive or know nothing about the culture of the program at that time. It's not like UK was alone. Par for the course for any of the big time basketball and football programs.

Maybe that specific example is BS, but if you don't believe that the UK boosters ran wild in the 1970s furnishing cash and gifts to recruits and players then you are either really naive or know nothing about the culture of the program at that time. It's not like UK was alone. Par for the course for any of the big time basketball and football programs.

I'm well aware of the culture during that time period.

That specific example is complete BS.

big ol false.

Beer fuels my best posts. How else do you think I've gotten 1,000+ likes in 2 months?

Psh.

I know, you hire stand ins while you work and sleep, so now everyone thinks you are a 24/7 guy on here. Cheater.

I was at UK in 85 when the Herald Leader did their story. Not one student was saying "I can't believe this, we don't do that here!" Everybody was like "why don't you just come out and say pro wrestling is fake?" No one could believe that the players were dumb/disloyal enough to tell the reporters anything.

if clappy is coach, and he told his player to find out what the other player taste like by the end of the game, he is most certainly not using flavors of gum as an analogy but rather very literally wanting to know the taste of the young man in uniform on the opposite team.

no way ollie isn't wearing a chastity belt with clappy creeping around.

I'm a huge IU fan, but this post was hilarious

I was at UK in 85 when the Herald Leader did their story. Not one student was saying "I can't believe this, we don't do that here!" Everybody was like "why don't you just come out and say pro wrestling is fake?" No one could believe that the players were dumb/disloyal enough to tell the reporters anything.

Yep. Truth is, nobody close to the program was surprised at all by the actual nature of the allegations themselves in either the 85 story or the 88 Chris Mills Emery package thing, because we'd all been hearing the stories about all that stuff (and plenty more) going on for many years. There's no doubt our boosters were WAY out of control back in those days, and the Cliff Hagan administration really did not even try to rein them in, hell they were Cliff's drinking buddies. That's why I tend to laugh when our fans today make a big fuss out about Sam Gilbert at UCLA, hell we didn't just have our own version of Gilbert, we essentially had a pack of em.

That said, I DO remember a lot people being very surprised by other things about those stories, namely that 1) our former player would actually break the code of loyalty/silence and speak to the press on the record about it; and 2) the bizarrely improbable nature of the Mills/Emery package story--so you're tellin me this package to a recruit directly from the UK basketball office containing thousands of dollars just happened to "pop open" at that exact moment? C'mon... Even though we were cheating, the way we finally got busted seemed very hard to believe.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT