ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers is the best bball movie ever

ripiu_zpsb8705a5b.jpg

So did the coach and that woman get it on or what? I didn't care about the basketball team.

I actually have the game the movie was made about on disk. A colleague of mine from Indiana gave me a copy of the championship game where Milan won the title.

I had no idea until like 20 years after seeing this movie that Milan is like 10-15 miles from Cincinnati. Watching the movie you'd think it was 100 miles from any civilization. It would be like one of the Oldham, Shelby or Bullitt County schools winning the title here.

I had no idea until like 20 years after seeing this movie that Milan is like 10-15 miles from Cincinnati. Watching the movie you'd think it was 100 miles from any civilization. It would be like one of the Oldham, Shelby or Bullitt County schools winning the title here.

Or one of the Northern Kentucky schools...which are literally also 15 miles from Cincinnati.

It's actually 45 miles. It's an amazing story. 150 students in the entire school. Beat Oscar Robertson in the semi finals and Muncie Central, a school with well over 1000 students in the final. Also my favorite basketball movie ever.

It was a great accomplishment, but doing that in 1950 wouldn't be like doing that today. Basketball wasn't what it is today. They need classifications.

The schools you mention way to big,same as Carr Creek winning in Kentucky.

Without a doubt! With the exception of the movie Pitino made a cameo in. Was it chips, LOL! Any movie the the Italian lover was in, however brief, has the to be the " GREATEST EVER "!!!

I bet Gillispie or someone like that (I'm going with the Hoosiers plot line here) could lead Carr Creek at least to the Sweet 16.

Without a doubt! With the exception of the movie Pitino made a cameo in. Was it chips, LOL! Any movie the the Italian lover was in, however brief, has the to be the " GREATEST EVER "!!!

Didn't he have one line in that movie? Like "Shoot the three!" or something like that.

I don't remember exactly what he said or how brief, but one line sounds about right on, that's why I made a joke about it, because you know it made his ego even bigger, if that's possible, LOL.

You realize that some of the stuff that happened in Blue Chips was based on us? They gave the one kid's dad a tractor....rumor was we offered Kent Benson's dad a tractor. Happy and the Friends of the Program was based on some of our boosters.

Reactions: Kybluedude
No I was not aware of that, and that's BS if true!
No I was not aware of that, and that's BS if true!
You may remember a "LeBron James/David Blatt" moment at the end of Hoosiers where Gene Hackman, the "Milan" coach, designs the final play and tries to sell it to the team huddled around him. There's an incredulous silence until one of the kids looks at Hackman (who has designed a play ignoring his dead eye shooter "jimmy") "Coach, Let Jimmy shoot it".

Hoosiers is a great movie that happens to be about sports. I live about 40 miles from Milan and drive through there about once a year. Their water tower still celebrates their victory when Bobby Plump hit the last shot.

What's kind of frusterating to me is that while my 11 year old Son is a huge UK fan, and loves BB, I can't get him to stop playing on his phone or tablet long enough to get into it and won't really watch it. If it doesn't capture his attention in the first 5 minutes, it's over. I'm glad that technology wasn't like it is today so I grew up watching classic movies, after playing outside the entire day. I'm sure when he's older he can appreciate it for what it is, which is not only the best sports movie, it's one of the best movies period, of all time!

Or one of the Northern Kentucky schools...which are literally also 15 miles from Cincinnati.

Actually Milan is around 50 miles away. And back in 1954--before the days of four lane highways and suburban sprawl--50 miles away from the city meant something ENTIRELY different than it does today.

It was a very different world back then, with small towners being far more isolated than they are today.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Actually it's more like 45 to 50 miles away. And back in 1954--before the days of four lane highways and suburban sprawl--50 miles away from the city meant something ENTIRELY different than it does today.

It was a very different world back then, with small towners being far more isolated than they are today.

Yeah I didn't get a map out...was just responding to the other guy's post. Thanks.

You realize that some of the stuff that happened in Blue Chips was based on us? They gave the one kid's dad a tractor....rumor was we offered Kent Benson's dad a tractor. Happy and the Friends of the Program was based on some of our boosters.

If your being serious, you are a idiot.

The other guys on the team don't say "Let Jimmy shoot it". They all stand in silence after coach tells them Jimmy is the decoy. Then finally Jimmy says "I'll make it" and the coach changes the play.

Sad to say I've prob seen the movie 1,000 times.

Love the way somebody always jumps in to add a negative UK reference! Way to stick a knife into our eyes. Wow

Guys, settle down. The tractor thing was in the mid 70s. We eventually got caught, we paid our penalty. It's part of our history. It's why some of us cringe when people on here say "North Carolina is the cheatingest program in history!" UK basketball was a lot like every SEC football program back in the 70s and 80s. Hundred dollar handshakes. Parents taken care of. To whitewash it is silly. It is what it is. Accept the fact that we used to be one of those schools but CM Newton and the president (can't think of his name) hired Pitino and set up a system that has been adopted by many schools around the country. Sandy Bell is here now. We aren't one of those schools any more. Just the same, we as fans shouldn't be out there pointing fingers at other schools now. Like Greg Doyel said when he guest hosted KSR last year...it's not a good look.

The other guys on the team don't say "Let Jimmy shoot it". They all stand in silence after coach tells them Jimmy is the decoy. Then finally Jimmy says "I'll make it" and the coach changes the play.

Why was Jimmy so dead set against playing on the team in the beginning? I could never figure that out. Wouldn't his teacher (Barbara Hershey) want him to get a scholarship somewhere?

Your memory is correct and mine faulty. But it's still a LeBron/Blatt moment.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
False

I don't know what I would consider the best basketball movie but HOOSIERS aint it.

What's kind of frusterating to me is that while my 11 year old Son is a huge UK fan, and loves BB, I can't get him to stop playing on his phone or tablet long enough to get into it and won't really watch it. If it doesn't capture his attention in the first 5 minutes, it's over. I'm glad that technology wasn't like it is today so I grew up watching classic movies, after playing outside the entire day. I'm sure when he's older he can appreciate it for what it is, which is not only the best sports movie, it's one of the best movies period, of all time!
why give your eleven year old a phone? Where could he possibly be that you wouldn't know about?

Reactions: Stonewall12
How much of the movie is true and how much was added? Was there really a drunk father who had to step in and coach the team one game?

How much of the movie is true and how much was added? Was there really a drunk father who had to step in and coach the team one game?

I've read a lot about the story, and though it's a great movie (my favorite sports film ever) and is definitely inspired by the Milan Miracle, much of it is artistic license. Major differences:

*Milan was already a power; they went very far (can't recall which round) the previous (52-53) season, and were hardly unknown in Indiana.

*Their coach was quite young (26), and it was his 2nd year with the team

*There was no shortage of players, and their star (Bobby Plump) played the whole season with no controversies.

*Unlike the action-packed climax of the movie, Milan held the ball almost the entire 4th quarter. Plump did take and make the winning shot.

*Finally, there was no drunk father. The drama surrounding the team in the film is all fictional.

Don't post drunk kids. Why did that movie have to be on when I got back in? Should've just went to bed.

Maybe take away the phone and tablet, genius? :confused:

Guys, settle down. The tractor thing was in the mid 70s. We eventually got caught, we paid our penalty. It's part of our history. It's why some of us cringe when people on here say "North Carolina is the cheatingest program in history!" UK basketball was a lot like every SEC football program back in the 70s and 80s. Hundred dollar handshakes. Parents taken care of. To whitewash it is silly. It is what it is. Accept the fact that we used to be one of those schools but CM Newton and the president (can't think of his name) hired Pitino and set up a system that has been adopted by many schools around the country. Sandy Bell is here now. We aren't one of those schools any more. Just the same, we as fans shouldn't be out there pointing fingers at other schools now. Like Greg Doyel said when he guest hosted KSR last year...it's not a good look.
My god this is an idiotic post... we paid for our sins.

Tarholes have been cheating harder and longer and haven't paid shi*!!!

My god this is an idiotic post... we paid for our sins.

Tarholes have been cheating harder and longer and haven't paid shi*!!!

It's still not a good look for fans of a team that got busted for cheating a couple of times to call another program "the cheatingest". Duke isn't even doing that.

It's still not a good look for fans of a team that got busted for cheating a couple of times to call another program "the cheatingest". Duke isn't even doing that.
WGAS what Dook is doing.

Call a spade a spade.

UNC*** is responsible for the longest and most insidious cheating scandal in ncaa history.

Why UK fans pointing that out has your panties in such a knot is still a mystery...

Maybe they're baby blue colored panties?[eyeroll]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT