ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Old Guys...Classic Music Receiver...

*CatinIL*

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Area 52
Post a pick of what you had when you were young and driving your parents nuts...

1064618-vintage-pioneer-sx3600-receiver.jpg

I wish I still had this...

Twelfth birthday through high school. An audiophile I am.

s-l1600.webp

I think this is what it looked like. Recordable 8-Track and microphone.

FijqzB2OA0cZiO4jYy1tcxAu7fA8QhnH2MMCWuBMwhNM4ijN879vvauIaTxFK0_MoPUyar2rk987KFnEsmpkDTwCAPdkFF1nYF3R6agNntxf3an6

I had a roommate that eventually became an audio engineer. He had a hard time with me not having an interest. His parent's next door neighbors were throwing a unit like yours out back in 1991. My roommate thought I couldn't turn down free and gave it to me. It's currently in my attic.

I bought this pioneer with my first real paycheck in 1993. That roommate that knew audio stuff had one so I followed his lead. It made it until a 2002 power surge. Also up in the attic. 🤣
s-l1600.webp

I got one of those all-in-one units for Christmas in the mid-70s (8-track, radio, turntable). Not nearly as nice as the one pictured above. GE model. Loved it. This was my first true receiver. Turbo charged too. Woo hoo! Great marketing gimmick but it worked fine for me in college/UK.

s-l1200.webp

I have a complete Sony system with the surround sound. It was the shit when I bought it. My late wife kept trying to get me to get rid of it because it was so big and we never used it once sound bars and bluetooth came along. Cleaning some stuff out now and might finally get rid of it, but man it sounded good back then. It cost over a thousand dollars. I now have a Bose sound bar that doesn't even have a sub that sounds better. As an aside, my son bought me a turntable for Christmas about 5 years ago and occasionally, normally around the holidays when I get nostalgic, I'll pull out the old LPs and play albums. It is a pain in the ass to have to turn them over after every 4/5 songs, but it is still hard to beat.

Post a pick of what you had when you were young and driving your parents nuts...

1064618-vintage-pioneer-sx3600-receiver.jpg

I wish I still had this...
VR- That is an absolute beauty.

This is my first "floor rafter shaker" LOL

No telling how many times my Dad pounded on the floor (my bedroom was in the basement), to tell me it was up, as he would put it, "ENTIRELY TOO LOUD!" LOL

s-l1200.webp

This is the greatest amplifier I've ever owned. I bought it in Germany, back in 1987, and it finally gave up the ghost about 5 years ago. Even though it only pushed 90 watts per channel at 8 Ohms, it seemed like so much more. It just would NOT clip. Just a truly remarkable piece of stereo equipment. I wish I could get it repaired, because it was a beast. The Pioneer A-616 Reference Stereo Amplifier

pioneer.jpg

I didn't have much back then. Especially nothing vintage. Think I had a boombox with dual tape decks for making cassette copies. I never had any of that vintage stuff.

My first good sounding system was a Fisher receiver with a 5 disc cd changer. Bought a pair of Cerwin Vega floor speakers with 12" subwoofers. Added that to my 27" Hitachi TV with picture in picture and a built in subwoofer. Got all that when I was in the Air Force.

Moved back home for a bit when I got out and stayed in my mom's basement and those speakers shook the entire house. I don't have any of that stuff anymore. I do have my second receiver still. It's a Sony 500 watt surround sound receiver. Got it like 23 years ago and still works great. Came with this crazy remote.

We had a Sylvania console like this one with turntable, receiver and 8 track. My parents listened to big band/swing and jazz, and my brother had 60s rock, and an affinity for Chicago (Terry Kath era) and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I started adding more rock to the collection with yard mowing and paper route money around 1970. I was at home after school one brutally cold winter day doing my homework at the dining room table jamming to Deep Purple's Made in Japan at full volume, not knowing that my mom had gotten home from work and had locked her keys in her car, and had been ringing the doorbell, beating on the door, yelling, and finally went to a neighbor to call, which I didn't hear either. That went on for about 20 minutes until my dad got home from work, and....one of the worst ass chewings I'd ever gotten at that point.

OIP.LiB-ZToLlMJOLPEb7VqLcQHaFj

If this doesn't make you feel old I am not sure what will. A couple of weeks ago in our church youth group meeting they were talking about music and the youth leader was talking about cassette tapes. There were 25-30 middle and high school kids in the group and none of them knew what he was talking about. Not the first one had ever heard of or saw a cassette tape.

We had a Sylvania console like this one with turntable, receiver and 8 track. My parents listened to big band/swing and jazz, and my brother had 60s rock, and an affinity for Chicago (Terry Kath era) and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I started adding more rock to the collection with yard mowing and paper route money around 1970. I was at home after school one brutally cold winter day doing my homework at the dining room table jamming to Deep Purple's Made in Japan at full volume, not knowing that my mom had gotten home from work and had locked her keys in her car, and had been ringing the doorbell, beating on the door, yelling, and finally went to a neighbor to call, which I didn't hear either. That went on for about 20 minutes until my dad got home from work, and....one of the worst ass chewings I'd ever gotten at that point.

I wish I still had my grandma's. Had to put it in the garage for a while (kids need rooms to sleep in, apparently) and a mouse did what mouses do. It was probably 35 years old and worked perfectly. Don't build 'em like they used to and whatnot. I was disappointed when I tore it down and saw how little the speakers were. I always imagined as a child that they would be huge.

My FIL would buy, repair, and sell color TVs as his hobby. He hooked my wife and I up on one of these. SOB was big and heavy to move.

bb80ae8ca6ab8f1b9cf48718f9dbb8e6--entertainment-center-childhood-memories.jpg

My FIL would buy, repair, and sell color TVs as his hobby. He hooked my wife and I up on one of these. SOB was big and heavy to move.

bb80ae8ca6ab8f1b9cf48718f9dbb8e6--entertainment-center-childhood-memories.jpg
Those things were a load. My dad bought a Channel Master console TV in 1972 (remember the year because the first NFL game we watched on it was the Stillers v Raiders immaculate reception game). I was pretty stout for my age, but it was a pain helping him carry it up the porch steps and to the back of the house.

originalslika_Pojacalo-receiver-Onkyo-Integra-TX-SV-919-THX-242343085.jpg

Onkyo Integra… bought this at an Onkyo warehouse sale where all the engineers pointed at it as the White Buffalo as everything transitioned to digital.

This monster weighs a TON.

Reactions: JDHoss
This is the greatest amplifier I've ever owned. I bought it in Germany, back in 1987, and it finally gave up the ghost about 5 years ago. Even though it only pushed 90 watts per channel at 8 Ohms, it seemed like so much more. It just would NOT clip. Just a truly remarkable piece of stereo equipment. I wish I could get it repaired, because it was a beast. The Pioneer A-616 Reference Stereo Amplifier

pioneer.jpg
I always wanted to get one of those Pioneer amp/tuner combos but never did. They just looked badass.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Many call this the holy grail of vintage receivers. An incredible 300 WPC makes it one of the most powerful ever made. Only 2 units up for sale on Ebay. Either 30 grand or 18 grand so take your pick.

s-l1600.jpg

Many call this the holy grail of vintage receivers. An incredible 300 WPC makes it one of the most powerful ever made. Only 2 units up for sale on Ebay. Either 30 grand or 18 grand so take your pick.

s-l1600.jpg
That was a dream machine! You could sit and look at it for hours.

Reactions: UK82
I still own some vintage gear that I use all the time. Still going strong like this Stromberg-Carlson tube integrated amp from the early 60s. Sweet, sweet sound.

1097118-7781c0ce-strombergcarlson-asr433-stereo-integrated-tube-amplifieran-ultrarare-pair-of-philips-22-rh493-speake.jpg

Also use my Pioneer SX-3900 just about every day.

th

I still own some vintage gear that I use all the time. Still going strong like this Stromberg-Carlson tube integrated amp from the early 60s. Sweet, sweet sound.

1097118-7781c0ce-strombergcarlson-asr433-stereo-integrated-tube-amplifieran-ultrarare-pair-of-philips-22-rh493-speake.jpg

Also use my Pioneer SX-3900 just about every day.

th
Nice. That SX-3900 was a step or two or three above the one I had that I posted at the top.

Reactions: UK82
Nice. That SX-3900 was a step or two or three above the one I had that I posted at the top.
I got lucky. I bought it in the 90s (1996?) at Magnetic Tape and Recorder here in Louisville for $275. Turned out to be quite a bargain.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
I didn't have much back then. Especially nothing vintage. Think I had a boombox with dual tape decks for making cassette copies. I never had any of that vintage stuff.

My first good sounding system was a Fisher receiver with a 5 disc cd changer. Bought a pair of Cerwin Vega floor speakers with 12" subwoofers. Added that to my 27" Hitachi TV with picture in picture and a built in subwoofer. Got all that when I was in the Air Force.

Moved back home for a bit when I got out and stayed in my mom's basement and those speakers shook the entire house. I don't have any of that stuff anymore. I do have my second receiver still. It's a Sony 500 watt surround sound receiver. Got it like 23 years ago and still works great. Came with this crazy remote.

KCF, thanks for your service in the USAF. So, how did the 5 CD changer work for you? I never did trust those things.

Reactions: KyCatFan
KCF, thanks for your service in the USAF. So, how did the 5 CD changer work for you? I never did trust those things.
Appreciate it. I never had any problems with it. Was a big upgrade from my 76 Impala's tape deck with adapter that ran to the Disc Man mounted on the dash. Those were the days.

c8b55f96-8a0c-47dc-bc30-ce130821c466_text.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: *CatinIL*

I always wanted to get something like that that was broken and modernize the electronics in it. Make something new out of something old. Cabinet would stay the same but with a new receiver and record player. My mom has something like this (a different design) with the vacuum tubes in it and a record player on top.
4279731565_e8412c45d8_z.jpg

All the wiring is fried and we can't get it to play any records. Just makes weird sounds. I wanted to modernize it but my mom wouldn't let me. It would be to expensive to find the parts and fix it I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT