ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a shocker - UT player in legal trouble

TN signed 3 QBs last year so this probably won't hurt them any. I went to a Blackman game last year and was not noticeably impressed with Jennings. Then again, they were playing Maryville, and not many people are impressive against Maryville. He probably won't get in any trouble in Knoxville and will remain on the team. Will probably be a huge player in beating us, because it always seems like the ones that end up getting into trouble are the ones that do extremely well against us.

Four, that's FOUR, rape charges in three separate incidents since season's end plus multiple grand theft charges against other players, now this. Oh, don't forget their hot-shot fr RB Hurd was found drunk and passed out in a parking garage toward the end of last season. UT fans are bragging they are "returning to the glory days." Sounds like they're there.

I envision an entire morning of stadium steps for that kid. Might get suspended from next years spring game too.

Four, that's FOUR, rape charges in three separate incidents since season's end plus multiple grand theft charges against other players, now this. Oh, don't forget their hot-shot fr RB Hurd was found drunk and passed out in a parking garage toward the end of last season. UT fans are bragging they are "returning to the glory days." Sounds like they're there.

Yea, but Butch is "doing it the right way" and is "cleaning up the program." Don't you know that? Just ask any UT fan.

I envision an entire morning of stadium steps for that kid. Might get suspended from next years spring game too.

Nah, do they still play Tennessee Martin? They suspended ONE of he EIGHT thugs for that game after they should have all gone to prison for attempted murder, with NO charges filed against any of them.

Fortunately they pulled out the cliffhanger, 52-0.

I went to the UK/UT game in Knoxville last fall and I swear, Vol fans think Butch Jones is the second coming of Jesus.

What is funny is that none of them want to accept the fact that without Worley and Nathan Peterman getting hurt Jones would not have played Josh Dobbs. If Worley plays the entire USC game they probably lose it (which they should have lost it anyway). That game turned around their entire outlook. Without that win, which was because of Dobbs, their season would have gone to crap. They very well might not have beaten us, and may not have beaten Vandy. I say that because Worley led them to a whopping 9 points AT HOME against Florida. So their season, without the luck of those two injuries could have been drastically different. They could have been as bad as 3-9 rather than 6-6 (or 7-6 with the bowl). They don't realize that Dobbs is their real savior, and without him I think Jones is on the hot seat like crazy.

Moderator Note:
***** Watch the language please. Thanks. *****

Last edited by a moderator:
What is funny is that none of them want to accept the fact that without Worley and Blake Sims getting hurt Jones would not have played Josh Dobbs. If Worley plays the entire USC game they probably lose it (which they should have lost it anyway). That game turned around their entire outlook. Without that win, which was because of Dobbs, their season would have gone to crap. They very well might not have beaten us, and may not have beaten Vandy. I say that because Worley led them to a whopping 9 points AT HOME against Florida. So their season, without the luck of those two injuries could have been drastically different. They could have been as bad as 3-9 rather than 6-6 (or 7-6 with the bowl). They don't realize that Dobbs is their real savior, and without him I think Jones is on the hot seat like crazy.

As it was, they lost like 4 or 5 of their last 7 but somehow managed to get a good bowl, ending like a 4 year drought, against a weak opponent. Nevertheless, people are jumping on their band wagon like crazy. It'll be fun to watch when they do fall.

I think Dobbs is the real deal and is just a sophomore this upcoming year. He will have them clicking and I think they will have enough talent to be a hard team to beat. Still, I don't think Jones is anything special, and I think he is extremely lucky that Dobbs fell into his lap because without him they would have had a tough go of it.

What is funny is that none of them want to accept the fact that without Worley and Blake Sims getting hurt Jones would not have played Josh Dobbs. If Worley plays the entire USC game they probably lose it (which they should have lost it anyway). That game turned around their entire outlook. Without that win, which was because of Dobbs, their season would have gone to crap. They very well might not have beaten us, and may not have beaten Vandy. I say that because Worley led them to a whopping 9 points AT HOME against Florida. So their season, without the luck of those two injuries could have been drastically different. They could have been as bad as 3-9 rather than 6-6 (or 7-6 with the bowl). They don't realize that Dobbs is their real savior, and without him I think Jones is on the hot seat like crazy.
What does Alabama's QB got to do with Jones playing Josh Dobbs?

I think Dobbs is the real deal and is just a sophomore this upcoming year. He will have them clicking and I think they will have enough talent to be a hard team to beat. Still, I don't think Jones is anything special, and I think he is extremely lucky that Dobbs fell into his lap because without him they would have had a tough go of it.
How did Dobbs fall into Jones lap? JD was heavily recruited by Jones the min he stepped on campus and got him to flip a couple weeks before NSD from Arizona St.

Gotta respect Tennessee's consistency

Prior to '14 they'd had 4 straight sub-.500 seasons. They've been no factor for the past decade. Just because an inept UK program can't beat them doesn't make them special.

What does Alabama's QB got to do with Jones playing Josh Dobbs?

Sorry, I looked at UT stats to look up the name of their second string quarterback and went to the Alabama game and saw Sims and went with it. Looking again, I see that it was Nathan Peterman. I should have known better, but I also don't care that much who the second string QB at UT is, and I was also kind of thinking about Chris Simms from several years ago.

In terms of Dobbs falling into Jones' lap... he did. Yea, Jones recruited him and that is great, but Jones wanted to redshirt him all last season. Without the injury to Worley, Dobbs doesn't see the field last year. Dobbs played his freshman year and threw a good number of interceptions with just 2 touchdowns. I don't think Jones had much faith in him, but had to go with him because of Worley's injury. If that doesn't happen and Worley remains healthy throughout the year then the Vols could have had a terrible year. So, again, as my point was before, the positive outlook of the Vols program rests entirely upon Dobbs' shoulders. Without him you wouldn't have been in a bowl game and you wouldn't be thinking about winning the East. Instead, you'd be wondering if Jones was the right guy for the job after failing to get you to a bowl game for his second year. Especially considering that UT could have conceivably only won 3-4 games. Could you imagine what UT fans would be thinking if Jones would have actually won fewer games in his second year than in his first? Fact of the matter is that without Worley getting injured and Dobbs coming in as 3rd string QB, there is panic in Knoxville on the brink of the 2015 season.

Sorry, I looked at UT stats to look up the name of their second string quarterback and went to the Alabama game and saw Sims and went with it. Looking again, I see that it was Nathan Peterman. I should have known better, but I also don't care that much who the second string QB at UT is, and I was also kind of thinking about Chris Simms from several years ago.

In terms of Dobbs falling into Jones' lap... he did. Yea, Jones recruited him and that is great, but Jones wanted to redshirt him all last season. Without the injury to Worley, Dobbs doesn't see the field last year. Dobbs played his freshman year and threw a good number of interceptions with just 2 touchdowns. I don't think Jones had much faith in him, but had to go with him because of Worley's injury. If that doesn't happen and Worley remains healthy throughout the year then the Vols could have had a terrible year. So, again, as my point was before, the positive outlook of the Vols program rests entirely upon Dobbs' shoulders. Without him you wouldn't have been in a bowl game and you wouldn't be thinking about winning the East. Instead, you'd be wondering if Jones was the right guy for the job after failing to get you to a bowl game for his second year. Especially considering that UT could have conceivably only won 3-4 games. Could you imagine what UT fans would be thinking if Jones would have actually won fewer games in his second year than in his first? Fact of the matter is that without Worley getting injured and Dobbs coming in as 3rd string QB, there is panic in Knoxville on the brink of the 2015 season.
Tenn fans "think" the plan was, Jones thought UT could get to 6 wins with JW playing QB and could save Dobbs for this year. Dobbs is not a great practice player but for whatever reason plays really well in games. The goal was a bowl game but looking back I doubt we would of won 6 games with JW. Also I think we could of won 7 maybe 8 regular season games with Dobbs if he'd of played all year. While we believe our QB could be a star, he doesn't have to win games on his own. Our WR group is loaded and both our RB's are 5*. OL is our only question mark on offense. Defense should be much improved. We won't be starting or relying on true freshman in the 2 deep. Overall this will be our most talented team in the last 10 years.

Honestly I think UT and UK will be the two most improved teams in the East this year and Arky in the West.
The East could stand on it's head this year with Florida and USCjr sinking and UT and UK rising. It should be a real free for all for the East title this year. I think UT has a legit shot if they can get past Georgia, and UK an outside chance if things come together. A lot of UK fans forget that we were very much in the conversation for the East title at mid-season last year. In the West I think Arky will pose a serious challenge to Bama.

Tenn fans "think" the plan was, Jones thought UT could get to 6 wins with JW playing QB and could save Dobbs for this year. Dobbs is not a great practice player but for whatever reason plays really well in games. The goal was a bowl game but looking back I doubt we would of won 6 games with JW. Also I think we could of won 7 maybe 8 regular season games with Dobbs if he'd of played all year. While we believe our QB could be a star, he doesn't have to win games on his own. Our WR group is loaded and both our RB's are 5*. OL is our only question mark on offense. Defense should be much improved. We won't be starting or relying on true freshman in the 2 deep. Overall this will be our most talented team in the last 10 years.

I think you're only making my point. If your team only wins 4 games last year. You lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt (both close games and it is very possible you lose them with Worley playing instead of Dobbs) then how do you feel about this year's team? Not knowing how good Dobbs actually is and not knowing who your quarterback will be? How do you really feel? Will you be touting those excellent wide receivers and running backs or will you continue to be worried about whether your offense will continue to struggle under a quarterback who redshirted in 2014 and in 2013 threw 6 interceptions to just 2 touchdowns?

I have lived in the Knoxville area long enough to know that Vol fans would be extremely pissed off at Jones if they had only won 4 games last year, and many would be calling for him to be fired. Many would think he was inept having a lot of talent and not being able even get to a bowl game. Instead, Dobbs, and South Carolina's huge choke job, saved Jones' ass.

I think you're only making my point. If your team only wins 4 games last year. You lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt (both close games and it is very possible you lose them with Worley playing instead of Dobbs) then how do you feel about this year's team? Not knowing how good Dobbs actually is and not knowing who your quarterback will be? How do you really feel? Will you be touting those excellent wide receivers and running backs or will you continue to be worried about whether your offense will continue to struggle under a quarterback who redshirted in 2014 and in 2013 threw 6 interceptions to just 2 touchdowns?

I have lived in the Knoxville area long enough to know that Vol fans would be extremely pissed off at Jones if they had only won 4 games last year, and many would be calling for him to be fired. Many would think he was inept having a lot of talent and not being able even get to a bowl game. Instead, Dobbs, and South Carolina's huge choke job, saved Jones' ass.

I can't intelligently tell you what Vol fans would of thought about Jones if we'd of only won 4 games. I can only tell you that IMO Jones would not be on any hot seat if we only won 4 games. Any Tenn fan with half a brain knew going in to this it was a min 4 year rebuild. Our roster was depleted and what we had left was hot garbage. If we only win 7 games this year it will be a disappointment but not worth firing the guy. They're not many Sabans out there who can walk in to the situation we where in and rebuild in 2-3 years. Not going to happen. Our 2 deep now would beat Jones first year team by 4 Tds. That's how much better we are.

I can't intelligently tell you what Vol fans would of thought about Jones if we'd of only won 4 games. I can only tell you that IMO Jones would not be on any hot seat if we only won 4 games. Any Tenn fan with half a brain knew going in to this it was a min 4 year rebuild. Our roster was depleted and what we had left was hot garbage. If we only win 7 games this year it will be a disappointment but not worth firing the guy. They're not many Sabans out there who can walk in to the situation we where in and rebuild in 2-3 years. Not going to happen. Our 2 deep now would beat Jones first year team by 4 Tds. That's how much better we are.

From your post: "Our roster was depleted and what we had left was hot garbage."

LOL

Compare the raw talent in your classes for the years before Stoops to UK's raw talent.

In !0 Joker got off to a fast start, at the last minute he added a four star and three 5.7s (I consider 5.7s very good talent, especially at UK) to the ONE 5.7 he had before------NONE of them did ANYTHING at UK. Not sure what they did but that year TU had TWELVE four stars and one FIVE STAR, who did a lot before he self destructed, D'Rick about as big a thug as he was a talent.

In 11 UK got ONE four star Faulkner, played some but recruited over, and three 5.7s, Caffey probably the best but kicked out for TWO mj violations (I think Thug U's limit is FIVE, if they have one, see the five star DB they sent home to La for a semester to TRY to dry out) while the two home CITY heroes were good contributors. Again, TU had TWELVE four stars, but, alas, no five stars. But then when was the last five star that contributed at UK, Robertson?

In Stoops first year he had THREE four stars, the JC drafted, and the other two starting, with seven 5.7s, with only K Thomas again kicked off for what is laughed at at TU. Meanwhile poor TU only had FIVE four stars, oh boo hoo, what a bunch of hot garbage, LOL.

Didn't look up TU's class in 14, back to normal, but Stoops had TEN four stars and six 5.7,s, all still here and all either contributors or expected to contribute this year, four of the ten four stars redshirted.

Boo hoo, poor Tennessee hasn't had any talent lately, even though they spent decades getting away with cheating to build great facilities and tradition while UK's administration spent decades treating football like it was the poor step child, with predictable results-----until the strike.

From your post: "Our roster was depleted and what we had left was hot garbage."

LOL

Compare the raw talent in your classes for the years before Stoops to UK's raw talent.

In !0 Joker got off to a fast start, at the last minute he added a four star and three 5.7s (I consider 5.7s very good talent, especially at UK) to the ONE 5.7 he had before------NONE of them did ANYTHING at UK. Not sure what they did but that year TU had TWELVE four stars and one FIVE STAR, who did a lot before he self destructed, D'Rick about as big a thug as he was a talent.

In 11 UK got ONE four star Faulkner, played some but recruited over, and three 5.7s, Caffey probably the best but kicked out for TWO mj violations (I think Thug U's limit is FIVE, if they have one, see the five star DB they sent home to La for a semester to TRY to dry out) while the two home CITY heroes were good contributors. Again, TU had TWELVE four stars, but, alas, no five stars. But then when was the last five star that contributed at UK, Robertson?

In Stoops first year he had THREE four stars, the JC drafted, and the other two starting, with seven 5.7s, with only K Thomas again kicked off for what is laughed at at TU. Meanwhile poor TU only had FIVE four stars, oh boo hoo, what a bunch of hot garbage, LOL.

Didn't look up TU's class in 14, back to normal, but Stoops had TEN four stars and six 5.7,s, all still here and all either contributors or expected to contribute this year, four of the ten four stars redshirted.

Boo hoo, poor Tennessee hasn't had any talent lately, even though they spent decades getting away with cheating to build great facilities and tradition while UK's administration spent decades treating football like it was the poor step child, with predictable results-----until the strike.
I said we didn't have any talent when jones took the job and we didn't. From 09' to 2012 half the players we signed either quit or was kicked off. That's why our roster was depleted. Not so much now. Our talent is as good as it's been in 10 years and if our OL can be a little above average we could win 9-10 games counting a bowl game.

Hurd wasn't found passed out drunk in his car..no need to make stuff up.

While I love JAUK11 because he is so passionate about UK he sometimes lets his hate for UT get in his way. You have a reputation of taking on troubled kids and he cant get past that. He also tends to put too much credence into star ratings but at the end of the day he loves our boys in blue. I've tried to tell him for years that this self imposed moral code isnt followed by a lot of schools out there and we are only hurting ourselves by kicking every kid that fails a drug test off the team and not backing our kids when they are accused of things then later not charged or convicted (Tubman and Hartline come to mind). At the end of the day if there are no charges, or the charges are plead down, dropped or otherwise toothless we only hurt ourselves. Here we are a building program and we kick kids out for not 1/10th the trouble other schools would keep them around for. It makes no sense. Were just making the mountain we gotta climb taller and more perilous. Hey but at least our football program will go to heaven when it dies. Me personally I take the Groucho Marx approach. These are my principles, if you dont like them I have others!

Reactions: All_Orange
There is nothing I hate worse than hypocritical fans. We pull these kids (nearly all of them) out of bad lives and broken homes and then we try to pretend like everybody else's kids are thugs, but ours are great. Yet when I look at UK what I see is a player accused of rape, no not convicted, but neither have any of the Tennessee players been convicted of rape. I see a young player staying in trouble. I guess as long as it's Barker (how many times has he been in the news?) and not Jalen Hurd then it's just a young kid making mistakes. I see that from 2010-2013, Kentucky had 9 players arrested which was tied for 4th in the SEC. Overall, since 2010, UK has had 18 players arrested and Tennessee has had 19 players arrested. Maybe it would be better to look at the situation at UK before looking at any other team in the SEC.

I don't know what all of the UK players were arrested for, but two Tennessee players were arrested for rape. At least one of them was indicted by a grand jury on the charges, it is very possible that the other one was indicated as well, but not named in the indictment. One of those was star linebacker AJ Johnson. In March another player, an offensive lineman, was charged with felony theft over $500 when he entered another student's dorm room and stole an Xbox 1 and several games. Star receiver Von Pearson was arrested for sexual assault in April of this year. A story on his case indicates that 6 players on the 2014 UT roster have been accused of sexual assault.

These are not small crimes and some of them have led to indictments. You can hardly compare them to UK's recent arrests for doing stupid things like having an air soft pistol. Many of the UK charges have been simple possession type charges. Those can be serious, but they are not the same as felony theft, rape, and sexual assault. Further, Stoops has dismissed almost every player involved in a serious criminal investigation. The Tubman case is the only really recent case where there has been a serious crime. However, he was not indicted and he was still kicked off of the team and out of the university.

Lastly, Hurd's situation was strange. However, the initial story that was released was that the police, campus police I believe, responded to a parking garage because of a car with its lights on. The investigation of the vehicle led to Hurd being cited with underage consumption. One person, who was not named in the report, was found passed out in the vehicle. First off, this sounds sketchy. Why was the person not named? Why were they only charged with underage consumption if they were drunk in a vehicle? In the state of TN if you have the ability to operate the vehicle, but for your intoxication, then you can be charged with a DUI. It is highly unlikely that the two were in the vehicle without the keys so they were extremely lucky to only get an underage consumption charge. Further, Hurd got a sentence that I imagine few laypersons would have gotten. As an attorney, I have often seen people with underage consumption have to spend a year on supervised probation. Mr. Hurd only had to do 24 hours community service (which the team probably reported as part of his "good works") and complete a drug and alcohol assessment. Sounds to me that he definitely got the UT football player benefit. Still, his offense was a minor one so I really have no problem with how it was handled.

Last edited:
The UK arrests range from rape to felony distribution to stupid things. I don't know how many of the UK players did what they were accuse of anymore than I know if the UT players did what they were accused of. Sexual assault is obviously very serious, but no player on any SEC team except Vanderbilt has been found guilty of that kind of a crime in the last few years. As to the player that was arrested for the Xbox, charges against him were later dropped because police obtained evidence that he wasn't involved. I commend both Butch Jones and Mark Stoops for the way they have handled situations like these: both have swiftly suspended players from all team activities, usually before the players are even charged with things. That wouldn't have happened 10 years ago, likely at either school.

My favorite from JAUK11 is the 8 UT players..... I'm sorry I meant TU. That should be charged with "attempted murder" over a bar fight. Where an off duty cop was injured when he walked up to one of the football players in street clothes, did not identify himself as an officer, grabbed one of our players from behind in a chokehold, they both fall backwards and the officer hits his head on the street curb. Yeah, that's attempted murder by 8 football players.

The offensive lineman that stole the Xbox was a freshman who had already been dismissed from the team...just saying...

Hurd wasn't in the car, he was in his room. Another guy was passes out in the passenger seat of his car. When Hurd was questioned he admitted to having a few drinks. His punishment was in line with what any other 19 year old would have received in Tennessee.

Hurd wasn't in the car, he was in his room. Another guy was passes out in the passenger seat of his car. When Hurd was questioned he admitted to having a few drinks. His punishment was in line with what any other 19 year old would have received in Tennessee.

Poor little fella...rousted out of his room with a buzz. Life's such a bitch.

I'm a Tennessee, Knoxville area, attorney and his punishment was on the lighter side of what many other 19 year olds would have received. Many kids his age get much harsher and more stringent punishments for the same offense. In fact, I know of one, not a client of mine, that had to do the 24 hours community service, a drug and alcohol assessment and follow all recommendations (just like he had to do) as well as spend a year on supervised probation. She had never been in trouble before, just like Mr. Hurd, and underage consumption was her only charge. Many courts in the area would have, at the very least, wanted him to agree to stay out of trouble for longer than a month. Still, he hired an attorney that was able to handle it much easier than many. So, good for him I suppose.

UT has Dobbs who is a threat to run, average at best passer, an OL who couldn't block anyone last returning. As for as backs go, Hurd is barely an average SEC back, he wouldn't have started for any other team in the SEC, his pad level is horrible and his change of direction is worse, but hey he was and unworthy 5* right. Kamara has some skills, just if he isn't playing he is pouting and complaining, good to know UT is now taking Bama castoffs. Your WR corp could be the best in the conference, too bad they don't have anyone who can get them the ball effectively. Stop Dobbs running and UT can't move the ball, his passing doesn't scare anyone, Hurd certainly doesn't scare anyone, I still can't believe he was a 5*, Kamara will be a threat unless Butch hurts his feelings and then he will fake an injury.

Serious question, will Butch feel some heat if UT doesn't make it to a bowl this year? 7 teams on the schedule have a very real chance to beat the vols when you consider how long its been since UT beat UF in the swamp, Missouri, SC and UGA, plus the 2 best teams from the west in Bama and Arkansas with the added OOC of OU. Of course having to play Vandy in Nashville isn't a give me either after last year, UK will be better. So the Vols could realistically be sitting home at bowl time this Dec. Would the Vol nation put him on the hot seat, afterall, he has yet to beat a decent team, but he has found ways to lose close ones.

I'm a Tennessee, Knoxville area, attorney and his punishment was on the lighter side of what many other 19 year olds would have received. Many kids his age get much harsher and more stringent punishments for the same offense. In fact, I know of one, not a client of mine, that had to do the 24 hours community service, a drug and alcohol assessment and follow all recommendations (just like he had to do) as well as spend a year on supervised probation. She had never been in trouble before, just like Mr. Hurd, and underage consumption was her only charge. Many courts in the area would have, at the very least, wanted him to agree to stay out of trouble for longer than a month. Still, he hired an attorney that was able to handle it much easier than many. So, good for him I suppose.
Hurd was cited with a PD. I've saw several friends get a PD and none of their punishment was worse than a fine. Hurd walked to his car from his dorm where the police was waiting on him with the other person. They ask him if he had been drinking and he said yes. So they slapped him with a PD.

UT has Dobbs who is a threat to run, average at best passer, an OL who couldn't block anyone last returning. As for as backs go, Hurd is barely an average SEC back, he wouldn't have started for any other team in the SEC, his pad level is horrible and his change of direction is worse, but hey he was and unworthy 5* right. Kamara has some skills, just if he isn't playing he is pouting and complaining, good to know UT is now taking Bama castoffs. Your WR corp could be the best in the conference, too bad they don't have anyone who can get them the ball effectively. Stop Dobbs running and UT can't move the ball, his passing doesn't scare anyone, Hurd certainly doesn't scare anyone, I still can't believe he was a 5*, Kamara will be a threat unless Butch hurts his feelings and then he will fake an injury.

Serious question, will Butch feel some heat if UT doesn't make it to a bowl this year? 7 teams on the schedule have a very real chance to beat the vols when you consider how long its been since UT beat UF in the swamp, Missouri, SC and UGA, plus the 2 best teams from the west in Bama and Arkansas with the added OOC of OU. Of course having to play Vandy in Nashville isn't a give me either after last year, UK will be better. So the Vols could realistically be sitting home at bowl time this Dec. Would the Vol nation put him on the hot seat, afterall, he has yet to beat a decent team, but he has found ways to lose close ones.
Hurd is an average at best back? Holy shit. LMAO

I don't know what all of the UK players were arrested for, but two Tennessee players were arrested for rape. At least one of them was indicted by a grand jury on the charges, it is very possible that the other one was indicated as well, but not named in the indictment. One of those was star linebacker AJ Johnson. In March another player, an offensive lineman, was charged with felony theft over $500 when he entered another student's dorm room and stole an Xbox 1 and several games. Star receiver Von Pearson was arrested for sexual assault in April of this year. A story on his case indicates that 6 players on the 2014 UT roster have been accused of sexual assault.

These are not small crimes and some of them have led to indictments. You can hardly compare them to UK's recent arrests for doing stupid things like having an air soft pistol. Many of the UK charges have been simple possession type charges. Those can be serious, but they are not the same as felony theft, rape, and sexual assault. Further, Stoops has dismissed almost every player involved in a serious criminal investigation. The Tubman case is the only really recent case where there has been a serious crime. However, he was not indicted and he was still kicked off of the team and out of the university.

Lastly, Hurd's situation was strange. However, the initial story that was released was that the police, campus police I believe, responded to a parking garage because of a car with its lights on. The investigation of the vehicle led to Hurd being cited with underage consumption. One person, who was not named in the report, was found passed out in the vehicle. First off, this sounds sketchy. Why was the person not named? Why were they only charged with underage consumption if they were drunk in a vehicle? In the state of TN if you have the ability to operate the vehicle, but for your intoxication, then you can be charged with a DUI. It is highly unlikely that the two were in the vehicle without the keys so they were extremely lucky to only get an underage consumption charge. Further, Hurd got a sentence that I imagine few laypersons would have gotten. As an attorney, I have often seen people with underage consumption have to spend a year on supervised probation. Mr. Hurd only had to do 24 hours community service (which the team probably reported as part of his "good works") and complete a drug and alcohol assessment. Sounds to me that he definitely got the UT football player benefit. Still, his offense was a minor one so I really have no problem with how it was handled.

Thanks comebakatz3.

Hurd was cited with a PD. I've saw several friends get a PD and none of their punishment was worse than a fine. Hurd walked to his car from his dorm where the police was waiting on him with the other person. They ask him if he had been drinking and he said yes. So they slapped him with a PD.

Maybe you were there the day of the court case. I don't know, but according to Knoxville papers he was charged/cited with underage consumption. I presume by stating PD you are referring to a public intoxication charge, commonly referred to as a PI. There is no indication that he was charged with public intoxication and it is an entirely different offense from what the news articles state he was charged with, and what was later dismissed. Underage consumption in the state of Tennessee is a serious Class A misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to 11 months and 29 days in the county jail, as well as a fine of up to $2,500. Public intoxication, on the other hand is the lowest offense possible, a Class C misdemeanor, and is punishable up to 30 days in the county jail with a $50 fine. Class C misdemeanors are the same as a speeding ticket, and in the case of public intoxication are almost always dismissed upon payment of court costs the fine. Class A misdemeanors are frequently punished by the 11 months 29 days being suspended and served on supervised probation.

In Hurd's case, he applied for a diversion and it was granted. So, his sentence would not have been suspended, but he would have had to have good behavior for a period. Usually this period is a year. However, Hurd was treated very favorably by not having to spend a year on probation and having to meet the good behavior standard (at least not for a long time). Instead, he had no probation and his entire court case only lasted a month rather than the year it usually takes. The judge and the justice system did absolutely nothing improper in this case, but it is probably a much lighter sentence, and a much shorter courtroom experience, than most receive. In fact, the paper states he wasn't even there the day the charges were dismissed... this in and of itself is pretty unusual because the judge will often want the defendant to present to them proof that they complied with the court orders.

I'm a lawyer too and frankly no it wasn't. His keys weren't in the ignition and he wasn't in the car, there was no way to prove that he drove the car or had even been in the car while he was drinking. The punishment for underage driving is frankly not very severe. If your client got that kind of sentence for an underage drinking charge she should have got a new lawyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT