ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a shocker - UT player in legal trouble

Could have been an issue similar to the EKU/UK player incident without video where the players were provoked. At UT, two players were suspended and later reinstated. One player was dismissed from the team.

The player dismissed, Myers, had two previous serious "incidents" IIRC. I still think he might have been dismissed because he couldn't outrun a fat cop.

The player dismissed, Myers, had two previous serious "incidents" IIRC. I still think he might have been dismissed because he couldn't outrun a fat cop.

Not really interested in your theory. But the fact stands that 1 player was dismissed and 2 were suspended. Some people likely feel that Stoops should have dismissed the players involved in the EKU incident for being stupid and reckless. There's some truth to that view, but I think where players were provoked or where they weren't directly involved, the most that should happen is a suspension, usually.

Not really interested in your theory. But the fact stands that 1 player was dismissed and 2 were suspended. Some people likely feel that Stoops should have dismissed the players involved in the EKU incident for being stupid and reckless. There's some truth to that view, but I think where players were provoked or where they weren't directly involved, the most that should happen is a suspension, usually.

One was suspended according to the story I read, maybe it was one player expected to play, and Myers is not a theory, it is a fact.

And like I stated, not that it mattered, 50-0 is still a pretty comfortable win.

Man, you really have to stretch your credibility to compare what happened there to what happened at EKU, in fact you just lost it with me.

One was suspended according to the story I read, maybe it was one player expected to play, and Myers is not a theory, it is a fact.

And like I stated, not that it mattered, 50-0 is still a pretty comfortable win.

Man, you really have to stretch your credibility to compare what happened there to what happened at EKU, in fact you just lost it with me.

How so? Players get in a fight. Police get called. I'm not saying that the facts are the same, but what specifically are you saying distinguishes the two cases?

In other words you can't find a way to distinguish the cases. It happens, we all have a team we hate so much that it blinds us to reason and logic. For me that team is Florida.

LOL.

Your interpretation of my post is just more proof that it is a hopeless case, I'm wasting my time, goodbye.

Could have been an issue similar to the EKU/UK player incident without video where the players were provoked. At UT, two players were suspended and later reinstated. One player was dismissed from the team.

Well first off, the EKU/UK incident(s) actually did have videos, and you can clearly see the EKU player starting the fight. The bar didn't just conveniently have a security system that wasn't recording that night. Secondly, the UK players AND the EKU player went before a grand jury and the grand jury returned no true bill. Third, it was a straight up fight. The EKU player was not knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly to the point where he had to spend several days in the ICU, unlike both victims of the UT beating.

So, yea, I can distinguish the cases and there is a huge difference between the two. Seems like the police force in the Lexington/Madison County area actually handled the situations correctly rather than just letting it go with no one being punished. On the other hand, UTPD and KPD did not punish a single UT football player for assaulting two separate people. They did not arrest them, they did not cite them, they did not take them in front of a grand jury. Nothing. So, the point continues to be that the UT football players (and likely other UT sports players) continue to have a favorable disposition when it comes to discipline by the Knox County justice system, and in my opinion this is a perfect example of the corruption of that system when it comes to UT sports, especially football.

Thanks for explaining the situation, but anyone with a brain should see that there is no comparison with the two cases. And there has been a LONG history of this kind of treatment of TU athletes in Knoxville, this just the most flagrant that you will probably ever see.

Well first off, the EKU/UK incident(s) actually did have videos, and you can clearly see the EKU player starting the fight. The bar didn't just conveniently have a security system that wasn't recording that night. Secondly, the UK players AND the EKU player went before a grand jury and the grand jury returned no true bill. Third, it was a straight up fight. The EKU player was not knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly to the point where he had to spend several days in the ICU, unlike both victims of the UT beating.

So, yea, I can distinguish the cases and there is a huge difference between the two. Seems like the police force in the Lexington/Madison County area actually handled the situations correctly rather than just letting it go with no one being punished. On the other hand, UTPD and KPD did not punish a single UT football player for assaulting two separate people. They did not arrest them, they did not cite them, they did not take them in front of a grand jury. Nothing. So, the point continues to be that the UT football players (and likely other UT sports players) continue to have a favorable disposition when it comes to discipline by the Knox County justice system, and in my opinion this is a perfect example of the corruption of that system when it comes to UT sports, especially football.

Not having video makes it more difficult, not easier to prosecute. Thus, making it less likely that a prosecutor would even seek an indictment. And nobody went to the ICU for the Knoxville incident that I'm aware of. Do you have a news story or something that backs that up? The alleged victim was talking to the news the next day so it seems unlikely.

UTPD and KPD don't get to punish anyone. That's not their jobs. That's the job of a prosecutor. Several players were actually arrested and charges were filed, but later dismissed.

Not having video makes it more difficult, not easier to prosecute. Thus, making it less likely that a prosecutor would even seek an indictment. And nobody went to the ICU for the Knoxville incident that I'm aware of. Do you have a news story or something that backs that up? The alleged victim was talking to the news the next day so it seems unlikely.

UTPD and KPD don't get to punish anyone. That's not their jobs. That's the job of a prosecutor. Several players were actually arrested and charges were filed, but later dismissed.

There were 2 victims. The first victim, the bar patron, was taken to the hospital and released. The second, the off-duty officer, was taken to the I-C-U and spent several days there (early Friday morning to sometime Monday). "Witnesses say the officer Capouellez was hit in the head and knocked to the ground unconscious. He was transported to UT Medical center for treatment of a head wound. The officer's brother told our media partner WNOX Radio, that the officer is in I-C-U with a skull fracture. The initial victim was also taken to UT Medical Center with numerous injuries." http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/98093449.html

In terms of the video... that just furthers my point. The surveillance equipment for the bar just so happened not to be working that night. Yes, a video would make it much easier, but it was also one of the most crowded bars on one of the most crowded streets in Knoxville. You don't think there were a ton of witnesses to the assaults? You don't think that an off-duty police officer would make a good witness for the prosecution? Despite the lack of a video there was likely plenty of evidence and yet nothing was done.

UTPD and KPD must do several things in order for a prosecutor to do his job. One would be to present some evidence to the prosecutor and actually provide him with the ability to pursue charges. Not one single person was charged for hitting the bar patron or for hitting and fracturing the skull of the off duty police officer. Several were questioned but no charges were were ever filed on anyone for assaulting those two men. But hey, we can just stick our head in the sand and pretend like the UT football players didn't get some sort of special treatment. [eyeroll]

It isn't necessary for a TU fan to stick his head in the sand, it has been there for decades. What is strange is for a supposed UK fan to have his head down there also.

There were 2 victims. The first victim, the bar patron, was taken to the hospital and released. The second, the off-duty officer, was taken to the I-C-U and spent several days there (early Friday morning to sometime Monday). "Witnesses say the officer Capouellez was hit in the head and knocked to the ground unconscious. He was transported to UT Medical center for treatment of a head wound. The officer's brother told our media partner WNOX Radio, that the officer is in I-C-U with a skull fracture. The initial victim was also taken to UT Medical Center with numerous injuries." http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/98093449.html

In terms of the video... that just furthers my point. The surveillance equipment for the bar just so happened not to be working that night. Yes, a video would make it much easier, but it was also one of the most crowded bars on one of the most crowded streets in Knoxville. You don't think there were a ton of witnesses to the assaults? You don't think that an off-duty police officer would make a good witness for the prosecution? Despite the lack of a video there was likely plenty of evidence and yet nothing was done.

UTPD and KPD must do several things in order for a prosecutor to do his job. One would be to present some evidence to the prosecutor and actually provide him with the ability to pursue charges. Not one single person was charged for hitting the bar patron or for hitting and fracturing the skull of the off duty police officer. Several were questioned but no charges were were ever filed on anyone for assaulting those two men. But hey, we can just stick our head in the sand and pretend like the UT football players didn't get some sort of special treatment. [eyeroll]

This was 2010 not 2015. Surprisingly, technology has become even more prevalent in the last 4 years. Considering the bar owner wanted the players prosecuted and was very critical of them, I seriously doubt that he intentionally got rid of the tape. Most of the witnesses said that the players weren't the first aggressor and the unidentified out-of-uniform police officer was a casualty of jumping into the middle of a fight in progress. The police officers injuries were primarily caused by hitting the ground, in order to prove that a football player caused his injuries it would be necessary to prove that 1) the football player had actually caused the injury or 2) the football player knocked him to the ground and thus proximately caused the injury. If it was unclear who actually knocked him to the ground it would be difficult to get a conviction. Here, players were arrested and evidence was gathered. The fact that there was inconsistent testimony and a lack of video evidence definitely hurt the likelihood of charges being filed. Unfortunately if the prosecutor had no way of proving which player, if any, hit the officer knocking him to the ground then it would have been difficult to get a conviction. It's surprising that the prosecutor didn't put the case before a grand jury to see if he could get an indictment, especially because the Prosecutor in Knoxville has been very quick to charge UT football players, but I would be even more surprised if he had been able to get a conviction after an indictment.

This was 2010 not 2015. Surprisingly, technology has become even more prevalent in the last 4 years. Considering the bar owner wanted the players prosecuted and was very critical of them, I seriously doubt that he intentionally got rid of the tape. Most of the witnesses said that the players weren't the first aggressor and the unidentified out-of-uniform police officer was a casualty of jumping into the middle of a fight in progress. The police officers injuries were primarily caused by hitting the ground, in order to prove that a football player caused his injuries it would be necessary to prove that 1) the football player had actually caused the injury or 2) the football player knocked him to the ground and thus proximately caused the injury. If it was unclear who actually knocked him to the ground it would be difficult to get a conviction. Here, players were arrested and evidence was gathered. The fact that there was inconsistent testimony and a lack of video evidence definitely hurt the likelihood of charges being filed. Unfortunately if the prosecutor had no way of proving which player, if any, hit the officer knocking him to the ground then it would have been difficult to get a conviction. It's surprising that the prosecutor didn't put the case before a grand jury to see if he could get an indictment, especially because the Prosecutor in Knoxville has been very quick to charge UT football players, but I would be even more surprised if he had been able to get a conviction after an indictment.

All of this is pretty much pure crap. The bar owner never says he/she wants them prosecuted. None of the witnesses said that the bar patron was the aggressor. Only person that said that was the attorney for one of the football players. You don't know what primarily caused the injury to the officer, and it doesn't matter. Was he intentionally or recklessly hit by a football player? Then it is an assault. Plain and simple. Witnesses said he was hit and then fell to the ground. What caused him falling to the ground? Being hit. Further, he was kicked repeatedly while on the ground. Doesn't matter which player hit him and made him go to the ground. They still hit him.

Again. ZERO players were arrested for the assault of these two individuals. Not sure how you've skipped over this fact time and time again.

It isn't necessary for a TU fan to stick his head in the sand, it has been there for decades. What is strange is for a supposed UK fan to have his head down there also.

I'm one of those rare hybrid UT/UK fans. I feel that's possible since I grew up in Kentucky and everybody on my Mom's side of the family was a UK fan (basketball mostly) but since everybody on my Dad's side were UT fans. Growing up, I cared more about football than basketball (that's still true). So, I think UT has been the more exciting team to watch for most of my life (and each have been painful to watch for the last few years). I guess I never really considered UK much of a rival for UT. And, even though most Tennessee fans aren't also fans of UK like I am, most of them don't consider UK a true rival either. Florida, Georgia and Alabama have always been more exciting rivals for Tennessee than Kentucky. Most Tennessee fans view their rivalry to Kentucky the same way Kentucky fans view their rivalry with Vanderbilt.

All of this is pretty much pure crap. The bar owner never says he/she wants them prosecuted. None of the witnesses said that the bar patron was the aggressor. Only person that said that was the attorney for one of the football players. You don't know what primarily caused the injury to the officer, and it doesn't matter. Was he intentionally or recklessly hit by a football player? Then it is an assault. Plain and simple. Witnesses said he was hit and then fell to the ground. What caused him falling to the ground? Being hit. Further, he was kicked repeatedly while on the ground. Doesn't matter which player hit him and made him go to the ground. They still hit him.

Again. ZERO players were arrested for the assault of these two individuals. Not sure how you've skipped over this fact time and time again.

But who hit him? Was it a football player? Or one of the other people that were in the fight? You can't prosecute everybody that was involved in the fight for assaulting the police officer unless they assaulted the police officer. I'm not saying as the prosecutor I would have made the same decision, but I can certainly see why he made it. Again, several players were arrested. Rogers and Myles was arrested. That is two, not zero. I like how I keep repeating that and yet you say I keep skipping over that fact.

But who hit him? Was it a football player? Or one of the other people that were in the fight? You can't prosecute everybody that was involved in the fight for assaulting the police officer unless they assaulted the police officer. I'm not saying as the prosecutor I would have made the same decision, but I can certainly see why he made it. Again, several players were arrested. Rogers and Myles was arrested. That is two, not zero. I like how I keep repeating that and yet you say I keep skipping over that fact.

Rogers was arrested for disorderly conduct. Not for assault. Myles was arrested for assault because he assaulted a police officer while attempting to resist/evade arrest. Neither were arrested for assaulting the two individuals we have been discussing. So, your two is once again zero, as I said before. Had those two not evaded/resisted arrest they likely wouldn't have been arrested either.

Well you have one victim that named two of his assailants. You have probably over 500 witnesses that saw both of the fights. You don't think that you can find at least a couple of them to actually point out who was kicking these two people while they were on the ground? The bar owner was close enough to the fight to grab bar stools out of the hands of the football players that were going to use them as weapons. Those were metal bar stools, btw. The security team in that bar was also around trying to break up the fight. You're telling me none of them could point out the football players that were assaulting these two guys, the same football players that actually have VIP access to this bar?

If the prosecutor can not make a case in this instance then he should be fired because he should have plenty of evidence. Heck, every week they are prosecuting men and women for domestic assault with not more evidence than the testimony of the witness. You have that in this case and a whole lot more, and yet they chose not to go forward. It definitely was not for a lack of evidence... it was simply because they did not want UT football players to get into serious legal trouble. Plain and simple.

I'm one of those rare hybrid UT/UK fans. I feel that's possible since I grew up in Kentucky and everybody on my Mom's side of the family was a UK fan (basketball mostly) but since everybody on my Dad's side were UT fans. Growing up, I cared more about football than basketball (that's still true). So, I think UT has been the more exciting team to watch for most of my life (and each have been painful to watch for the last few years). I guess I never really considered UK much of a rival for UT. And, even though most Tennessee fans aren't also fans of UK like I am, most of them don't consider UK a true rival either. Florida, Georgia and Alabama have always been more exciting rivals for Tennessee than Kentucky. Most Tennessee fans view their rivalry to Kentucky the same way Kentucky fans view their rivalry with Vanderbilt.

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like you come from a full blown family of frontrunners, LOL. Also not at all surprising that you are a big TU fan given your explanation, in fact not even surprising that you are a big UK basketball fan.

Nothing surprising about this post, some nice putdowns though. Why don't you go root for your real team and quit bothering us?

Rogers was arrested for disorderly conduct. Not for assault. Myles was arrested for assault because he assaulted a police officer while attempting to resist/evade arrest. Neither were arrested for assaulting the two individuals we have been discussing. So, your two is once again zero, as I said before. Had those two not evaded/resisted arrest they likely wouldn't have been arrested either.

Well you have one victim that named two of his assailants. You have probably over 500 witnesses that saw both of the fights. You don't think that you can find at least a couple of them to actually point out who was kicking these two people while they were on the ground? The bar owner was close enough to the fight to grab bar stools out of the hands of the football players that were going to use them as weapons. Those were metal bar stools, btw. The security team in that bar was also around trying to break up the fight. You're telling me none of them could point out the football players that were assaulting these two guys, the same football players that actually have VIP access to this bar?

If the prosecutor can not make a case in this instance then he should be fired because he should have plenty of evidence. Heck, every week they are prosecuting men and women for domestic assault with not more evidence than the testimony of the witness. You have that in this case and a whole lot more, and yet they chose not to go forward. It definitely was not for a lack of evidence... it was simply because they did not want UT football players to get into serious legal trouble. Plain and simple.

What they are arrested for and what they are charged with are two separate things. The police officers make arrests and create reports. The prosecutors then charge (on their own or through grand juries usually). Here they were arrested, initial charges were filed and then later dismissed for one upon completion of community service. For the other the assault of a police officer charges were dismissed in a plea agreement where he got a 2 year suspended sentence essentially for resisting arrest and public intoxication.

The biggest problem wasn't that they had a lack of evidence it was that the evidence they had was inconsistent. Some players were accused that weren't even at the bar, others were said to be the initial aggressor by some then not the initial aggressor by others. It does help that most football players get good attorneys. That's true at UK too. Now we can always question where they get the money for these good attorneys since we know that the majority come from families without the means to provide them.

^^ Links to prove that it was inconsistent? Something not from the Volquest message board please. Even then, the victim himself named two, neither of which were arrested or charged. Also, shouldn't the security guards that are letting these VIP players into the bar know who they are and shouldn't they know who is fighting if they are breaking it up?

They were arrested for what I set out earlier. The prosecutor could decide to change those charges to something else, but the police officer is the one that puts the original arresting offense. The officers chose not to arrest anyone for assaulting the off duty officer and the bar patron.

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like you come from a full blown family of frontrunners, LOL. Also not at all surprising that you are a big TU fan given your explanation, in fact not even surprising that you are a big UK basketball fan.

Nothing surprising about this post, some nice putdowns though. Why don't you go root for your real team and quit bothering us?

I love my family, thanks. They have made a lot of things possible for me in my life so if you are trying to put them down I'd rather you not. I didn't say I was a UK basketball fall, growing up I never really cared about basketball. I still don't really. I don't root against UK though in any sport except for one game a year in football. I didn't mean to put down UK in any way whatsoever and I do consider myself a UK fan, even if you do not. I don't pretend to be the most diehard UK fan, perhaps that award should go to you, but I'm more of a UK football fan than a large percentage of UK basketball fans.

^^ Links to prove that it was inconsistent? Something not from the Volquest message board please. Even then, the victim himself named two, neither of which were arrested or charged. Also, shouldn't the security guards that are letting these VIP players into the bar know who they are and shouldn't they know who is fighting if they are breaking it up?

They were arrested for what I set out earlier. The prosecutor could decide to change those charges to something else, but the police officer is the one that puts the original arresting offense. The officers chose not to arrest anyone for assaulting the off duty officer and the bar patron.

Sorry I probably can't find an unbiased source to meet your satisfaction:

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/7/14/1568899/inconsistent-testimony-lack-of
SB Nation is decent. Best I could do on such short notice.

That's not terrible, but still not great. A blog does not really do it for me too much. Not to mention the fact that UT says he was not there. Not an investigation by the actual police. Why didn't the police investigate that fact? Why didn't they question Hughes as the story you provided tells us?

That's not terrible, but still not great. A blog does not really do it for me too much. Not to mention the fact that UT says he was not there. Not an investigation by the actual police. Why didn't the police investigate that fact? Why didn't they question Hughes as the story you provided tells us?

No there was an investigation by the police and no charges were filed because his story checked out. I wish I could find that article, but I haven't been able to. I'll keep looking. Obviously if you read the police reports though it shows clearly that they interviews Hughes and pretty much anyone else that was remotely connected to the incident. And, for the record, I think anytime a player is involved in a bar fight unless he was acting in self-defense, then he should be kicked off the team for being stupid and putting himself in a bad situation if nothing else. I feel that most/all of these players should have been dismissed and so should the ones at EKU and the ones at UK. But, the world doesn't work the way I want it to.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the police report? Not being a smart-ass... I am genuinely curious.

Perhaps it was he said she said and the case couldn't be proved or conflicting stories.

That is very likely.

A long way from attempted murder as tin foil hat said

Reactions: footballfanatic77
Reading this argument is cracking me up. During Fulmers prime years and National championship season I worked for KPD on the strip. Our hands were completely tied and when any incident happened UTPD would arrive with coaches. Little should have went to jail a hundred times. I once arrested an OL for driving on suspended and got a call from the chief at that time telling me it was "in my best interest" to call and have him released. The chief sat in a suite every home game. Sorry powellvolz but this discussion is laughable to me. I can't testify to now, but I know FIRST HAND how it was then.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Reading this argument is cracking me up. During Fulmers prime years and National championship season I worked for KPD on the strip. Our hands were completely tied and when any incident happened UTPD would arrive with coaches. Little should have went to jail a hundred times. I once arrested an OL for driving on suspended and got a call from the chief at that time telling me it was "in my best interest" to call and have him released. The chief sat in a suite every home game. Sorry powellvolz but this discussion is laughable to me. I can't testify to now, but I know FIRST HAND how it was then.

I agree that stuff like this happens. I just disagree that it doesn't happen in Lexington or any other college town.

I won't deny that. I'm sure it happens in a many college towns. What has always bothered me was the fact that Little and Goodrich were our most "problem childs". They were virtually untouchable. We were however able to charge Goodrich once. Both players eventually were involved in homicides that may have been prevented if they would have been disciplined for their actions in college. Tennessee went on to win the NC so was it worth it?

I won't deny that. I'm sure it happens in a many college towns. What has always bothered me was the fact that Little and Goodrich were our most "problem childs". They were virtually untouchable. We were however able to charge Goodrich once. Both players eventually were involved in homicides that may have been prevented if they would have been disciplined for their actions in college. Tennessee went on to win the NC so was it worth it?

Didn't Little get drafted in the 98 draft along with Peyton Manning, before UT won a national championship? Pretty sure he did.

And even more, wasn't one of those a DUI and the other a tragic accident? Sad but hardly relevant to much of anything.

What former wildcat got charged with child molestation? Besides, it is relevant. I believe if memory is correct both Goodrich and little were found at fault in the homicides. Am I wrong? Traffic accidents or whatever, they were still homicides.

What former wildcat got charged with child molestation? Besides, it is relevant. I believe if memory is correct both Goodrich and little were found at fault in the homicides. Am I wrong? Traffic accidents or whatever, they were still homicides.
He is referring to Michael Porter who was sentenced to two years in prison for sodomy, and sexual abuse.

Goodrich - Hit and run leaving a strip club, speeding, ran over 3 people on the side of the road killing 2 and severely injuring the third. Fled scene and served 6 yrs in the pen.

Little - DUI killing a woman in 1998 and arrested again a few years later for DUI again.

So, yes, tragic accidents. Accidents caused by drunk driving.

Goodrich - Hit and run leaving a strip club, speeding, ran over 3 people on the side of the road killing 2 and severely injuring the third. Fled scene and served 6 yrs in the pen.

Little - DUI killing a woman in 1998 and arrested again a few years later for DUI again.

So, yes, tragic accidents. Accidents caused by drunk driving.
Are you blaming this on UT?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT